Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 238091 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #2380 on: June 29, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »
You know what, you're right, I was thinking of the repeal of a constitutional amendment.

Still, I don't think the Republicans can muster enough support to overcome a Democratic filibuster and it will be very  :lol --worthy to see the filibuster used by Democrats to shut the Republicans down for once  :tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2381 on: June 29, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
There's also the slight inconvenience of being "saved" from the healthcare law by a guy who implemented the same fricking thing in Massachusetts.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: June 29, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »
Or the fact that repealing the law would instantaneously knock about 3.1 million kids off their parents' insurance  :loser:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2383 on: June 29, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
Why has the debate become an all-or-nothing battle between people who support the law and people who want it completely repealed?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2384 on: June 29, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
Because frankly the GOP has very little else left to stand for at this point. It's the only way of uniting the diverse base they have, by creating a direct enemy to rally against. If they actually started to discuss the topic rationally, the threads would immediately unravel because they would find themselves actually arguing for the continuation of the abysmal status quo.

rumborak
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:54:37 PM by rumborak »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: June 29, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
Why do you hate America, rumborak?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2386 on: June 29, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
Why the green? I thought it was pretty obvious that rumbo is a flag-burning atheist Nazi Communist.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2387 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
 :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2388 on: June 29, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I'm the nexus of undesirability.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2389 on: June 29, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
You know what, you're right, I was thinking of the repeal of a constitutional amendment.

If Obama is still in office, and the bill lands on his desk, I imagine he's going to veto the thing. Then it would take 2/3's vote to repeal the law. Boehner is apparently going to introduce a repeal bill soon, which not only has no chance of passing the Senate, but would be vetoed anyways. In that case, you'd be right.

Because frankly the GOP has very little else left to stand for at this point. It's the only way of uniting the diverse base they have, by creating a direct enemy to rally against. If they actually started to discuss the topic rationally, the threads would immediately unravel because they would find themselves actually arguing for the continuation of the abysmal status quo.

rumborak

Well actually, when they did do this back in the 90's, they came up with the individual mandate. So really, if they did what you want them to do, they'd arrive at what they've been fighting for for the past 2 years (and only then, because if you go before then, you get people arguing for the individual mandate).

But that's even worse than arguing for the status quo.

Offline TL

« Reply #2390 on: June 29, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
Why the green? I thought it was pretty obvious that rumbo is a flag-burning atheist Nazi Communist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmXOsuL7ey4

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2391 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »

rumborak

My family just got a letter from one of my parents' employers that kinda sorta wink wink nudge nudge said they might drop or modify our health insurance coverage.

Obviously there are bigger issues at work here.  But there are real people with real reasons for wanting this bill repealed that go beyond "Everything Obama does is terrible because he's secretly a Muslim."
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2392 on: June 29, 2012, 10:18:07 PM »
How do you reckon this modification of the parent's healthcare plan was a result of Obamacare? Those things happen pretty regularly. I just can't see how a requirement for people to have insurance would cause a provider to drop existing customers.

rumborak

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2393 on: June 29, 2012, 10:42:08 PM »
How do you reckon this modification of the parent's healthcare plan was a result of Obamacare? Those things happen pretty regularly. I just can't see how a requirement for people to have insurance would cause a provider to drop existing customers.

rumborak

Because the letter discussed the bill at length.

If I understand correctly, companies face a penalty for not providing insurance for their employees.  For companies that provide good insurance, it might be less expensive to simply pay the penalty.

I'm not entirely sure they'll flat out drop the coverage.  You probably use the company's products every day, and I doubt they'll want to do something that makes them a less competitive hire.

An analogy that helps this make sense.  The book Freakonomics discusses the story of a day care.  The day care had problems with parents constantly coming in late to pick up their kids.  The day care decided to try fixing this by imposing an additional cost if the parent(s) came in late.  When they did this, MORE people showed up even later.  The authors of the book reasoned this happened because the shame of being there late was a stronger deterrent than the financial penalty.

The new healthcare law has essentially done the same thing.  Before, a major corporation basically had to provide really good insurance.  Now, instead of market pressure, the government has reduced it to an economic calculation.  Anyone with a modicum of awareness knows what happens when corporations crunch numbers.  They only care if they win.

Or maybe none of this will happen.  I don't know.

Also, just because the old status quo favored me personally doesn't mean that it was a good thing.  I'm not even mad that taxes might go up so other people can have medical care.  I don't know what kind of person thinks that way.  What I don't like is that my family might be punished because (insert parent here) worked really hard for a long time to finally get a really good job.

And that's not just about me.  Why should anyone be successful, even in a middle class sense (which believe me, we are) when the reward for achieving this is that the government makes your life into a mess?  The rich can buy what they want.  The poor are given basic subsidies by the government.*  The middle class get screwed.  Why do you think society in general feels such a strong sense of resentment?  No one believes that if you work hard you'll be rewarded for it.  And you can't exactly say everyone is wrong.

In a sense, I don't care about the politics of it so much because people who literally follow politics for a living don't seem to understand politics.  I find it neither interesting nor intriguing, and I can do nothing about it, so why waste mental energy on it?

What I don't like - and I guess I shouldn't care about this either - is when people say "Only conservatives who want to ban abortion and think Obama was born in Kenya are against Obamacare because of fake reasons."  There are real consequences to laws like this.  Debates have two sides.

---

*Tomorrow, I could find a psychiatrist who diagnoses me with depression, puts me on meds, and says I can't work because of this depression (untrue because I do work, but an easy lie to construct).  I can then use my disability check to buy section eight housing and basic supplies for myself.  I could then spend my days subsisting on government money while I play video games and masturbate.  I wouldn't do this because I don't hate myself that much.  A lot of people though apparently suffer a lot of self-loathing.
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2394 on: June 29, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
Thing is, I can honestly say that this was the first time I've heard a rational argument against the bill. It's all to easy to become flippant about republicans because this kind of discourse is  virtually absent. And yes, I do blame republicans mostly for this development because they decided a long time ago to become a haven for the willfully ignorant.

As a response to your argument, I find it somewhat contrived and unlikely. I can't see why a company who formerly already didn't go the cheap route of not offering insurance, would now switch over to the penalty option. That just seems illogical. What's a much more likely scenario is that with the penalty in place, insurance will soon become one of those things that are plain assumed to be offered by the company. Not offering once will carry a stigma that will result in the company not getting employees, whereas in the current a status quo a lot of them still get away with it. Kind of like with smoking bans where legislation pushed the market into a different operating point that was favourable to everyone but not achievable through plain market forces.

rumborak
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:03:51 PM by rumborak »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2395 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »
My guess is that a helluva lot of companies sent out those letters today.  Mostly a CYA thing since they don't really know what will come.  I'd give it very little concern.

The way I think it'll break down is that companies who already insure their employees will continue to do so.  Abruptly cancelling everybody's coverage would look terrible and they'd lose employees over it.  Companies who don't insure their employees (and have over 50) will weigh their options and make the better economical decision.  The truth is, since we're talking about group plans for >50 folks, once the exchange starts up it'll probably be a cheaper move to pop for the insurance than to pay the penalty. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2396 on: June 29, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
Thing is, I can honestly say that this was the first time I've heard a rational argument against the bill. It's all to easy to become flippant about republicans because this kind of discourse is  virtually absent. And yes, I do blame republicans mostly for this development because they decided a long time ago to become a haven for the willfully ignorant.

It's human nature.  Remember during the Bush administration when quite a many left leaning people in this country engaged in a collective rage fit?  I still do.

As a response to your argument, I find it somewhat contrived and unlikely. I can't see why a company who formerly already didn't go the cheap route of not offering insurance, would now switch over to the option. That just seems illogical.

rumborak

I find it unlikely too.  But, something like this shouldn't even be a possibility.

I've seen articles that say "30% of companies will drop health insurance," but I don't know how valid they are.  Sounds like fear mongering.
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2397 on: June 29, 2012, 11:09:48 PM »
My real beef with health insurances is however that IMHO they still don't penalize unhealthy lifestyles anywhere near enough. Smoking and overeating should carry an increase in premiums. Anything that is chosen willfully essentially that is readily measurable and increases significantly your chance of developing costly health issues.

rumborak

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2398 on: June 29, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »
As a rule, smokers and fat-fucks cost less than healthy people due to their earlier death.  Treating cancer an diabetes is expensive, but not as much as treating 15 years worth of slow death and geriatric disorders. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2399 on: June 29, 2012, 11:27:15 PM »
As a rule, smokers and fat-fucks cost less than healthy people due to their earlier death.  Treating cancer an diabetes is expensive, but not as much as treating 15 years worth of slow death and geriatric disorders. 

This is true, but let's assume it isn't because it reveals a more interesting ethical debate.

My real beef with health insurances is however that IMHO they still don't penalize unhealthy lifestyles anywhere near enough. Smoking and overeating should carry an increase in premiums. Anything that is chosen willfully essentially that is readily measurable and increases significantly your chance of developing costly health issues.

rumborak

This comes back to the issue that bothers people about health insurance to begin with, which is that they treat people differently based on their physical health.

I understand that if you get, say, prostate cancer it probably wasn't the result of any choice you made.  Whereas if you smoke your whole life, then you get lung cancer, it was probably because you smoked.

Let's take this to its logical extreme.  What if you're a woman who works a very powerful corporate job and has great insurance.  You decide to marry a man who's a genetic prostate cancer risk because of his family history.  Should the woman's insurance go up?  Not would it be economically feasible.  Let's say you can crunch all these numbers semi-accurately, do you think it should be this way?

What no one's really talking about is that, as a society, we need an answer to the "is healthcare a right" debate and we need it quickly.  In a sense, you seem to be saying it isn't, which I don't really agree with.  If the Sun Cannon existed, I'd load up every person that ever even so much thought it was okay to let people die that didn't have healthcare because they deserved to due to lack of a job.  Also, if you work and your employer doesn't carry health insurance, then why would we accept this as a society?

I can't stand the ACA (I guess I shouldn't call it Obamacare even if it's more applicable than a lot of people think) because it's a bad law.  I don't like universal healthcare because I think human nature prevents it from working.

I believe healthcare should be a right, on the condition that we find a way for it to not be a disaster.

I also believe that no one is seriously trying to figure this question out.  There are (or at least were) leftists willing to argue that Cuban Healthcare was a paradise because they would rather do something intellectually dishonest and frankly fucked up than concede any ground on the market healthcare vs. universal healthcare debate.  Then you have conservatives cheering at a presidential debate because one of the candidates was willing to say that a person in bad circumstances should be left to die (this is the second time I mentioned this because I really hate it).
Over and over again

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2400 on: June 30, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »
I don't like universal healthcare because I think human nature prevents it from working.

Than why do so many other countries get it right? Ya, some liberals want to point to Cuba, but others want to point to Germany, Canada, Japan, France, England, and all those other countries.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2401 on: June 30, 2012, 08:48:56 AM »
They work because they have less people, or something.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2402 on: June 30, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »
The difference between the US and those countries mentioned above is that when a new law is passed like that, the following political energy is rather spent on arranging the different parties within this new framework. In the US, all energy is spent on neutering and sabotaging the law. That's how you end up with all these dead carcasses of well-meant laws.

rumborak

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2403 on: June 30, 2012, 09:32:57 AM »
The difference between the US and those countries mentioned above is that when a new law is passed like that, the following political energy is rather spent on arranging the different parties within this new framework. In the US, all energy is spent on neutering and sabotaging the law. That's how you end up with all these dead carcasses of well-meant laws.

rumborak
I think we have a winner here.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2404 on: June 30, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »
The two-party system is just so damn poisonous.  It's a shame the US will never be free of it.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TL

« Reply #2405 on: June 30, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »
No, it works in those countries because the people in those countries don't flip their shit over reasonable taxation levels.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2406 on: June 30, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »

rumborak
I think we have a winner here.

But that's not a problem with universal health care. I won't deny that the current American system sucks, or that Republicans are basically being a bunch of near treasonous asshats.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2407 on: June 30, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »
No, it works in those countries because the people in those countries don't flip their shit over reasonable taxation levels.

And because people actually take care of their damned bodies.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2408 on: June 30, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
I don't like universal healthcare because I think human nature prevents it from working.

Than why do so many other countries get it right? Ya, some liberals want to point to Cuba, but others want to point to Germany, Canada, Japan, France, England, and all those other countries.

I'd rather not do this.  Here's how this debate goes:

- I look up things on the internet and write a post, spending at least an hour of my life.
 - I see reply telling me that all my facts are stupid.
 - I look up even more things.
 - Again, my facts are stupid and I am being insane.

For all I know I would actually be being stupid and insane.  But why bother?

This does interest me:

But that's not a problem with universal health care. I won't deny that the current American system sucks, or that Republicans are basically being a bunch of near treasonous asshats.

The Republicans are saying the Democrats are being traitorous.  Are you sure you want to use the same rhetoric they do?
Over and over again

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2409 on: June 30, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
The Republicans are saying the Democrats are being traitorous.  Are you sure you want to use the same rhetoric they do?

Cept all the Republicans have is rhetoric. I have a full list of valid, rational complaints to levy against Republicans. Mitch McConnell has said his job is to prevent Obama, and thus anything good from happening. Republicans have backed away from so many of their ideas, because they can't let the other side do anything positive. They put partisanship way above the country, and I think the fact that Democrats are always bending over backwards to try and please Republicans is a sign that they actually want to do the right thing.

Besides, let's not forget, I'm not a Democrat. I'm a liberal, yes, but I don't hold any love or appreciation for the Democratic party. As bad as they are, Republicans have demonstrated themselves to be worse, time and time again.

Offline TL

« Reply #2410 on: June 30, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »

And because people actually take care of their damned bodies.
Plus, preventative care and early diagnosis, which are far more prevalent in a universal system, save a ton of money in the long run, and lead to longer, healthier lives.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2411 on: June 30, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »

I'd rather not do this.  Here's how this debate goes:

- I look up things on the internet and write a post, spending at least an hour of my life.
 - I see reply telling me that all my facts are stupid.
 - I look up even more things.
 - Again, my facts are stupid and I am being insane.

For all I know I would actually be being stupid and insane.  But why bother?

This does interest me:

That's pretty weak.  There are plenty of us here who now how to have a reasonable discussion, and you're a smart enough guy to be able to discuss things in general terms without having to right a freaking research paper.

The simple truth is that you should have said that it wouldn't work because of American nature, not the human variety.  There are too many functional examples to suggest that humans aren't the problem. 
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2412 on: June 30, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »
That's pretty weak.  There are plenty of us here who now how to have a reasonable discussion, and you're a smart enough guy to be able to discuss things in general terms without having to right a freaking research paper.

The simple truth is that you should have said that it wouldn't work because of American nature, not the human variety.  There are too many functional examples to suggest that humans aren't the problem.

Not saying it isn't weak.  But I'd rather not just ignore the post.

I don't think you can talk about an issue like this in general terms.  The amount of stuff that goes into healthcare, everything from the large scale factors to the little logistical details is incomprehensibly complicated to me.  I can say, "a basic understanding of economics tells us that when resources aren't organically distributed through prices, that the distorted market replacing it will not reflect demand properly."  I believe that's 100% true.

It also doesn't mean anything.  Markets are rational from the standpoint that, based on limited resources, people will chose what they believe is best for them.  But the things people believe they need may not be conducive to the health of a society.  It might not be in the individual's best interests in a rational sense.  Maybe a somewhat distorted market is better than an undistributed one.

Or, here's another thing.  The biggest objection I have to any sort of socialized healthcare is that now we're relying on the government to provide us our health care.  That's pants-shittingly horrifying.  But if you don't think this, then we might as well be living in different worlds.

In general, I think that day-to-day healthcare should be completely private and that catastrophic injuries should be paid either with public money or a heavily regulated insurance market.  Preferably the latter so it's not the government's responsibility.  But I could be completely wrong.  And I'm not informed enough to really know one way or another.

So I guess that's my opinion.  It's weak.  But I never said it wasn't.

Cept all the Republicans have is rhetoric. I have a full list of valid, rational complaints to levy against Republicans. Mitch McConnell has said his job is to prevent Obama, and thus anything good from happening. Republicans have backed away from so many of their ideas, because they can't let the other side do anything positive. They put partisanship way above the country, and I think the fact that Democrats are always bending over backwards to try and please Republicans is a sign that they actually want to do the right thing.

Besides, let's not forget, I'm not a Democrat. I'm a liberal, yes, but I don't hold any love or appreciation for the Democratic party. As bad as they are, Republicans have demonstrated themselves to be worse, time and time again.

Virtually all politicians are self-interested liars who put their re-election and the preservation of the political process above what's good for the country.

The Democratic party doesn't need your love or appreciation.  They just need your vote.  They know they can't either go to the left (and lose all the moderates) or to the middle (and lose another election like they did in 2000).  They've figured out how to be just enough of both that moderates and liberals say "Well, at least with the Democrats I'm kinda getting what I want."

They don't compromise with the Republicans in the interest of moderation.  They compromise with the Republicans because, like it or not, the Republicans represent a powerful feeling in this country.  It's not purposeful ignorance.  It's the feeling of "Why is the government not giving me anything that I want?"

In an older post, we had a "heated exchange" over the Obama signing statement about military spying.  My point was that the words were there, but the feeling isn't.  It's why people watch movies moreso than read books.  Books are just words that can have feeling.  Movies show you the feeling.

Obama might make political compromises so the Republicans can't make him look too bad.  But there's no feeling.  When the Supreme Court upheld the ACA, he called it a victory.  Where's the effort to emotionally reach out to the people like me who might see negative consequences of the bill.  Something like 40-50% of people polled depending on the moment are against the bill.  And they're ignored.

"Well, they're just idiots who believe in creationism."  Irrelevant.  He's their president too.  He makes political compromises with the Republicans so you can use that as a reason to say he's trying to be accommodating.  But when has he ever made a broad policy change as a show of willing to listen?

Even when he made the contraception compromise, his statements basically came down to, "Listen very slowly, I respect religious freedom, even though I was insensitive enough to try imposing this on you in the first place.  We're going to make it so you don't have to be responsible for providing the contraception.  Even though you're not comfortable with birth control at all, I'm going to still give your employees a chance to have it from another source.  It's a right, because we just decided it is one.  I'm now going to say I'm religious and respect religious rights, even though there's no reason to believe I actually take religion seriously."

Where's the apology?  Where's the sensitivity?  Where's the admission of wrongdoing?

"If he did that, then people would say even he knows he did something wrong."

Not the point.  When you want people to treat you better, you establish boundaries and treat them right.  Obama's done the exact opposite by not setting boundaries and then acting righteous in the face of concerns that he has no intention of seriously addressing.

And now this has gotten stupidly long.  My point is, it takes two parties to have an argument.  If there's a political argument happening (and I'm pretty sure there is), then both people in the argument are responsible.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:33:52 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2413 on: June 30, 2012, 07:30:12 PM »
Virtually all politicians are self-interested liars who put their re-election and the preservation of the political process above what's good for the country.

Capt there are some who actually do some good, and propose actual good policies, in order to do this. It's also toxic to the political environment to be completely distrustful of anyone who wants to try and do some good. It creates a self fulfilling prophecy. There are more than enough examples through out history to prove that there are people who genuinely want to help other people and the society they live in, not everyone is a selfish, greedy power-hungry asshole.

The rest of it, I honestly don't know where you went off to. You brought up a bunch of stuff that at times feels inaccurate, at times feels irrelevant to what we're talking about now. I never said you have to agree with Obama's policies, and that if you disagree with Obama you are treasonous. Nothing of the sorts. I'm saying that Republicans in Congress are acting in a quasi-treasonous manner.

My point is, it takes two parties to have an argument.  If there's a political argument happening (and I'm pretty sure there is), then both people in the argument are responsible.

I'd disagree that this is what's going on, really. An argument implies participants willing to put forward logical arguments, and to answer in a logical way. The Democrats are the only one's attempting to do that at the moment, the Republicans insist on simply repeating talking points, playing politics and not moving this country anywhere.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2414 on: June 30, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
Or, here's another thing.  The biggest objection I have to any sort of socialized healthcare is that now we're relying on the government to provide us our health care.  That's pants-shittingly horrifying.

But it's not the case. Health care is still provided by private entities. Why do you bring this argument?

rumborak