Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 231773 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #945 on: January 25, 2012, 07:19:55 AM »
I'm not sure that I would want a moderator who would be actively hostile towards the candidates, but one who asked tough questions and demanded the proof of the candidates statements would be nice.

I don't think they should be hostile, but I do think they should make them sweat. Try and trip them up with their own thoughts and ideas. Make them screw up in front of the American people. I don't say this because I think they should be treated cruely, but I think it is of upmost importance to find out who really knows their stuff and who doesn't. Even though Mitt was wrong about NASA, and was proven so, the majority of Americans would never realize or hear about it. I think that it would be a good thing if they were called out on their errors on the spot.

I think Obama did really well during the state of the union address last night. The man said nothing I disagree with. I would love to see the remaining republican candidates try and oppose anything he said.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:29:26 AM by Chino »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #946 on: January 25, 2012, 08:24:01 AM »
I'm not sure that I would want a moderator who would be actively hostile towards the candidates, but one who asked tough questions and demanded the proof of the candidates statements would be nice.

Well you're not gonna get that in-party from either side, so...
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #947 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »
The reasons I picked O'Reilly and Mahr was because I think they could be hard-assed without being hostile.  The trick is to get somebody who refuses to accept bullshit,  but professional enough to be civilized.  Mahr is the one of the two I'd be concerned about.  I think O'Reilly is a pompous windbag,  but he's certainly capable of being a professional when it suits his needs. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #948 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:33 AM »

Well you're not gonna get that in-party from either side, so...
Sure, but there are plenty of opposite party people that would be more professional than O'Reilly or Mahr. It's possible either of them could restrain themselves and be professional, but there typical character is one who is hostile towards opposing views.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: January 25, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
How about Michael Moore & Rush Limbaugh?  :biggrin:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #950 on: January 25, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
Honestly, John Stewart proved what a badass he was in that interview on Fox, I'd go with Stewart and O'Reilly.

Offline j

« Reply #951 on: January 25, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »
Honestly, John Stewart proved what a badass he was in that interview on Fox, I'd go with Stewart and O'Reilly.

I wouldn't be too opposed to this.  Although if you get O'Reilly on the wrong day, I feel like he wouldn't be able to stop himself from doing a lot more than just "moderating."

-J

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #952 on: January 25, 2012, 01:02:52 PM »

Michael Moore would be interesting. I know this goes against a lot of you, but I really like they guy. I'm not saying I agree with every word that comes out of his mouth, but I have to give the guy a lot of respect for what he does / stands for.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #953 on: January 25, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »

Michael Moore would be interesting. I know this goes against a lot of you, but I really like they guy. I'm not saying I agree with every word that comes out of his mouth, but I have to give the guy a lot of respect for what he does / stands for.

You have respect for a lair who abuses the experiences of people who are emotionally traumatized to further a political agenda that completely contradicts his own personal lifestyle?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #954 on: January 25, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
What is a "lair" ?  :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #955 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: January 25, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »
 :lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #957 on: January 25, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
I say, let Jon Stewart moderate a debate. Put it on a bigger network, so a lot of people who normally don't watch Jon Stewart get exposed to him.

Why not Colbert? I prefer him.

His interviews can be awesome, and sometimes brilliant, but which Colbert do you get? His character, or himself? Jon Stewart would be very fair, and given who he's interviewed and that history, I'd say it would be most likely be amiable.

Maher would be entertaining, but I don't think it would be as constructive as Stewart.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #958 on: January 25, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
Obviously we're talking hypothetically here but I don't think Stewart would ever go for it. It would undermine his "I'm only a comedian" schtick.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #959 on: January 26, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
Obviously we're talking hypothetically here but I don't think Stewart would ever go for it. It would undermine his "I'm only a comedian" schtick.

Then he wouldn't do such serious interviews with politicians.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #960 on: January 26, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »
Time Traveler From The Year 1998 Warns Nation Not To Elect Newt Gingrich
WASHINGTON—Saying he came bearing an important message from the past, a stranger from the year 1998 appeared on the Capitol steps Thursday and urged voters not to elect Newt Gingrich president in 2012. "In the late 20th century, Newt Gingrich is a complete disgrace!" said the time-traveling man, warning Americans that 14 years in the not-so-distant past, Gingrich becomes the only speaker in the history of the House of Representatives to be found guilty on ethics charges, and is later forced to resign. "In my time, he shuts down the federal government for 28 days because his feelings get hurt over having to sit at the back of Air Force One. Gingrich gets our president impeached for lying about marital infidelities when, at the same time, Gingrich himself is engaged in his own extramarital affairs. And for God's sake, he divorced his first wife after she was diagnosed with cancer. Won't anyone listen to me?!?" When asked about Donald Trump, the time-traveler said he had no information on the man, as no one from 1998 cared about a "washed-up fake millionaire."
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #961 on: January 26, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »

Then he wouldn't do such serious interviews with politicians.
I think this would clearly take it to another level.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #962 on: January 26, 2012, 04:13:10 PM »
So according to realclearpolitics.com, both Santorum and Paul have dropped into the single digits. Who is next to drop out? My guess would be Santorum.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #963 on: January 26, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »
Anybody watching the debates? Romney is definitely looking pretty good. If he can hold it up til the end of the debate, Florida should be in the bag for him.

rumborak

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #964 on: January 26, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »
Yeah, I think Romney has looked pretty good in this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #965 on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »
After all these debates you would think Ron Paul would have thought of better answers to those standard questions. I mean, he doesn't seem to even care about assuaging the concerns of Republicans that his foreign policy is essentially nonexistent.

rumborak

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #966 on: January 27, 2012, 04:30:21 AM »
After all these debates you would think Ron Paul would have thought of better answers to those standard questions. I mean, he doesn't seem to even care about assuaging the concerns of Republicans that his foreign policy is essentially nonexistent.

rumborak
My cousin-in-law is a big RP fan and loved his performance last night.  I thought he came across as almost impotent.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:32 AM »
He never puts any effort into the "performance" and his reactions and answers are very consistent.
Where was last night's debate? I didn't catch it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #968 on: January 27, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »
I know Paul has written off Florida, but yesterday will not have helped him in Maine. Santorum at least has some bite to him.

rumborak

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #969 on: January 27, 2012, 07:36:13 AM »
How did Newt do in the debate? I didn't get a chance to watch it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #970 on: January 27, 2012, 07:38:50 AM »
I personally thought he was significantly worse than Romney. Frankly, at some point Mitt ripped him a new one, and Newt could only do his nasty look of smugness.

rumborak

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: January 27, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
I think the Republican machine is coming to its senses now.  Latest polling in Florida shows Gingrich's lead is gone and Romney is ahead again.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #972 on: January 27, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
Yeah, I think yesterday really hurt Gingrich. He just came across as a hater, but with little redeeming qualities. I agree with Hef, RP just looked impotent. Or, rather irrelevant. At the end I asked myself "why is he even invited anymore at this point?". The realistic answer to the question is probably: To serve as a "commercial break" between Romney vs. Gingrich. I mean, they even clustered Santorum and RP together in their answers, almost as a "and now for the lulz".

rumborak

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: January 27, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Yeah, wow, I watched some of the debate on YouTube today while loading up a few servers here and Gingrich kind of got his rhetorical head caved in by Romney. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #974 on: January 27, 2012, 01:36:26 PM »
I really liked when Romney got pissed at the immigration thing. Holy crap, Romney was fuming, and he essentially got almost standing ovations with his response to Newt.

rumborak

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #975 on: January 27, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
I didn't see, what was Romney's deal with immigration?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: January 27, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »
I didn't see, what was Romney's deal with immigration?

This is the relevant exchange:

Again, Romney learned from previous debates. He first had an excellent line answering Gingrich's assertion that grandmothers and grandfathers were not likely to "self-deport." Romney came back: "Our problem is not 11 million grandmothers." Boom! It both mocked Gingrich's grandmother self-deportation argument while at the same time underscoring the vast issue of illegal immigration.

It's from THIS opinion piece on CNN.com by Todd Graham, director of debate at Southern Illinois University

I've been watching Graham's columns and he's clearly a fan of Mitt Romney, so take that piece with a boulder of salt, but he's got a point about how well Romney seems to have done yesterday.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #977 on: January 27, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
I was actually referring to another thing. Gingrich had apparently called Romney "anti-immigrant" in one of his ads, and Gingrich (upon Blitzer's request) reiterated that.
Romney got really pissed off and said (paraphrased): "WTF are you talking about. My father was born in Mexico and my wife's father was born in Wales. It's this incendiary bullcrap that we don't need in these debates. It's fine to disagree with me, but your charged epithet is something you should apologize for." The audience erupted in strong applause after that.

rumborak

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: January 28, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »
What network hosted that latest debate?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #979 on: January 28, 2012, 09:11:35 AM »
That was CNN. Seems there are no debates for another month though (good!), meaning this would be the chance for Romney to keep rolling on the momentum he built in the last debate.

rumborak