Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 231843 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #840 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
Yeah, I don't see how people are so upset about Huntsman doing that. Endorsing anyone else would have been stupid. Without a major deal breaker from Romney's side, the nomination is essentially over.

Totally disagree about the Biden thing though :lol He never would have won against McCain.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #841 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
Yeah, I don't see how people are so upset about Huntsman doing that. Endorsing anyone else would have been stupid. Without a major deal breaker from Romney's side, the nomination is essentially over.

rumborak

He could have endorsed no one. His endorsement is basically a sign that he wants in on the cabinet, and considers that more important than sticking to what he believes and has said about the man.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #842 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
I don't know whether I read it that way. I perceived it as a statement of "for all those that supported me: Romney is closest to my own views". Besides, Huntsman would indeed be a good VP IMHO, with all his foreign relations knowledge.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #843 on: January 18, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
I don't know whether I read it that way. I perceived it as a statement of "for all those that supported me: Romney is closest to my own views". Besides, Huntsman would indeed be a good VP IMHO, with all his foreign relations knowledge.

rumborak

He's too similar to Romney to be VP pick, and if only becuase they're both Mormon. VP pick is all about politics and who you can get into the tent, because the VP actually does like nothing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #844 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »

rumborak

Two Mormons on the ticket?  Never happen.

Offline jsem

« Reply #845 on: January 18, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »
Rubio or Christie is going to be his choice,

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: January 18, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »
I don't think Christie will accept, but Rubio....hmm....maybe.   He's pretty far right, so he would definitely fill the traditional "attack dog" role that the VP fills.  He lacks executive experience, though.

Then again, he's from Florida and would definitely help in a battleground state.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: January 19, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »
Rick Perry is dropping out.

Look for an announcement soon

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: January 19, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: January 19, 2012, 07:42:56 AM »
This is really, really funny....  :lol

ABC News is going to air an in-depth interview with one of his ex wives.  Story here for those who are interested.

The thing that made me guffaw pretty hard, though, was this quote from a Gingrich campaign staffer:

"ABC News or other campaigns may want to talk about the past, just days before an important primary election. But Newt is going to talk to the people of South Carolina about the future- about job creation, lower taxes, and about who can defeat Barack Obama by providing the sharpest contrast to his damaging, extreme liberalism. We are confident this is the conversation the people of South Carolina are interested in having."

Extreme Liberalism??  :eek    :rollin

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #850 on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:08 AM »
https://www.colbertsuperpac.com/episodeiv-anewhope/

:rollin Samuel L Jackson

https://www.colbertsuperpac.com/marist-south-carolina-poll-results/
"Vote for Colbert? 18% in South Carolina Kinda Somewhat Likely"

Offline jsem

« Reply #851 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »
Newt's new "scandal" isn't going to hurt him at all.

People are just going to say that the "liberal media" crafted this story to kill Newt's momentum.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: January 19, 2012, 08:29:16 AM »
I wish Newt would win the Republican primary and be the nominee.  That would pretty much guarantee an Obama victory in November.  :tup

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #853 on: January 19, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »
Perry is suppose to be dropping out today.

Offline jsem

« Reply #854 on: January 19, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
He's going to endorse Newt.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #855 on: January 19, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »
He's going to endorse Newt.
Eyeh, Newt's doomed  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: January 19, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
Actually, Newt is now leading the polls in South Carolina

So, the guy who wanted an "open marriage" with his second of three wives will beat the guy who's been married to the same woman for over three decades and did not leave office in a huge cloud of ethics scandals. 

All this in the most Evangelical state in the early primaries!   :lol

Go GOP!  :tup

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #857 on: January 19, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
The fact that Newt has bounced back is a rather healthy? sign for his campaign. Palin endorsed him so that's probably big for a lot of people.. *sigh*

I mean, it would be rather funny I think to see Newt try and debate Obama. Let's see what Obama does to his bullshit about teaching poor people a proper "work ethic" by hiring "inner city high school" students to be janitors.

Oh, not to mention the pure amount of dirt on Newt. Obama can afford to play nice again, cause all that shit will come up on it's own.

I just hope we have the amount of debates that's occurring now for the Presidential Campaigns. Isn't there usually just 4 during the Presidential? Fuck, seems like there's been 4 in the past week!

Offline jsem

« Reply #858 on: January 19, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
I'm not as confident Obama will wipe Newt off the map anymore :lol

Romney would definitely lose though.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #859 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »

Oh, not to mention the pure amount of dirt on Newt. Obama can afford to play nice again, cause all that shit will come up on it's own.

This. Even if Obama is forced to play dirty, I'm sure the democrats have plenty of dirt they are saving in the event it comes to that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #860 on: January 19, 2012, 07:58:28 PM »
Wow, after watching that debate, I feel much better about Obama's prospects.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #861 on: January 19, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
It was really bad. The race baiting stuff in particular made me wanna puke.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #862 on: January 19, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
Not to mention both Paul and Santorum during the abortion bit seemed to be a little confused about whether they were pro-state or pro-federal.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: January 19, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
Holy shit, Ron Paul was on fire tonight! No mumbling, not stuttering, direct answers... even the crowd demanded him to speak! Of course CNN loved all the jabs Santorum gave to Gingrich, but still. This was a great debate for RP (that abortion part, lovely).

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #864 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:59 PM »
Wait...there was another debate today?!

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #865 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »
A brief analysis of tonight's debate.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #866 on: January 19, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »
Too much media coverage is expended on the cadidates' personalities, who they sleep with, and how much money they make

So first of all, there's a typo (I didn't notice that myself until I pasted, lol);

I agree with you on the who they sleep with, but I think the other two aspects are perfectly apt in a Presidential debate. Personality is insanely important when picking a President - for instance, I don't want a psychopath in the White House - and how much money they make can show you how little the person is capable of understanding your issues. When Romney calls 375k a little bit of money, he's showing just how unfamiliar he is with the things actual Americans go through. He's not running for Representative, but he is still supposed to represent the American people. Doing so isn't demonizing them as a person, or anything at all that can be considered an "attack" on being wealthy.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #867 on: January 19, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »
Too much media coverage is expended on the cadidates' personalities, who they sleep with, and how much money they make

So first of all, there's a typo (I didn't notice that myself until I pasted, lol);
Where?

I agree with you on the who they sleep with, but I think the other two aspects are perfectly apt in a Presidential debate. Personality is insanely important when picking a President - for instance, I don't want a psychopath in the White House - and how much money they make can show you how little the person is capable of understanding your issues. When Romney calls 375k a little bit of money, he's showing just how unfamiliar he is with the things actual Americans go through. He's not running for Representative, but he is still supposed to represent the American people. Doing so isn't demonizing them as a person, or anything at all that can be considered an "attack" on being wealthy.
They're all fair game. But they shouldn't be discussed at the expense of more substantive issues.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #868 on: January 19, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »
Cadidates, sorry.

I agree with your general verdict of the American media, I just think Newt's past, and his apparent personality, is rather important aspect of his bid to become President. I mean, him wanting to have an open marriage doesn't bother me at all; it's his hypocrisy on the issue recently, and how he's tried to run. It's also his ethics scandal, and what he did when he was Speaker (politically motivated impeachment). It's more then fair to ask if the man has the temperament and personality to be President, and it's not insubstantive or somehow fallacious.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #869 on: January 20, 2012, 12:02:12 AM »
Cadidates, sorry.
Fuck. Yeah, I was in a hurry.

I agree with your general verdict of the American media, I just think Newt's past, and his apparent personality, is rather important aspect of his bid to become President. I mean, him wanting to have an open marriage doesn't bother me at all; it's his hypocrisy on the issue recently, and how he's tried to run. It's also his ethics scandal, and what he did when he was Speaker (politically motivated impeachment). It's more then fair to ask if the man has the temperament and personality to be President, and it's not insubstantive or somehow fallacious.
I agree to a point. But if such discussions displace in depth debate about energy policy, war or spending, we have a problem in my view. 

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #870 on: January 20, 2012, 01:43:19 AM »
I agree to a point. But if such discussions displace in depth debate about energy policy, war or spending, we have a problem in my view. 

Ron Paul aside, who in the Republican field is actually capable of this? I'll agree with the problem, but I don't think it's the media bringing up some of the problems with Newt, it's that Newt is given a stage in the first place. Did you see the standing ovation he got for demonizing poor people?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #871 on: January 20, 2012, 06:46:07 AM »

Ron Paul aside, who in the Republican field is actually capable of this? I'll agree with the problem, but I don't think it's the media bringing up some of the problems with Newt, it's that Newt is given a stage in the first place. Did you see the standing ovation he got for demonizing poor people?

Not just for demonizing poor people, for demonizing poor racial minorities.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the two ideological and cultural poles of this nation are entirely reconcilable. Most will disagree with me, but it might be better off if we split.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #872 on: January 20, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
When Romney calls 375k a little bit of money, he's showing just how unfamiliar he is with the things actual Americans go through.

In the grand scheme of a federal budget or our debt, 375k is very little money though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #873 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »
I was of the impression that that was referring to Romney's income, not the debt. Not that I would know if that's his actual income, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #874 on: January 20, 2012, 08:57:06 AM »
When Romney calls 375k a little bit of money, he's showing just how unfamiliar he is with the things actual Americans go through.

In the grand scheme of a federal budget or our debt, 375k is very little money though.

Yeah, that's only about 12 hours of operations in Afghanistan.