Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 233567 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #770 on: January 10, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
Rand Paul is an idiot.  And that's probably an insult to idiots.  He'll never be president, just like his father will never be president.   He'll pick up the mantle of his whacky father's ideas, and maybe, like his father, he'll run for president a few times.  But, like his father, he'll never get any more than maybe 15% of the vote, because (like his father) he believes in stuff that's just never going to appeal to the mainstream in this country. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #771 on: January 10, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
And whoever said that thing about the "crazy neighbor" views was right.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #772 on: January 10, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »
One thing I found rather humorous is how apparently at RP rallies, people break into "Dr. Paul, Dr. Paul" chants. Not a discredit to the profession, but he's a physician, for crying out loud.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
One thing I found rather humorous is how apparently at RP rallies, people break into "Dr. Paul, Dr. Paul" chants. Not a discredit to the profession, but he's a physician, for crying out loud.

rumborak

It's interesting.  At a few other places I post we've been discussing the election and the PaulbotsTM almost always refer to him as "Dr. Paul" as if it makes him a superior candidate.  Mostly, it comes off as sort of smug and elitist.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #774 on: January 10, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
Eventually, Rand Paul will become POTUS.
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #775 on: January 10, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
So, I guess Roemer and Perry are out. 0% and 1%, respectively.

rumborak

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #776 on: January 10, 2012, 10:00:29 PM »
Roamer never stood a shot in hell, which is sad.

Offline TL

« Reply #777 on: January 10, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
It's disappointing that Romney did as well as he did. The guy is such a slimy fuck. I was really hoping he wouldn't crack 35% tonight. I was also hoping Huntsman would hit at least 20%.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #778 on: January 10, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
The question from here isn't "Will Romney win?" but rather, "Who will Romney pick for his running mate?"

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #779 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »
I guess I should thank Republican voters for not voting for someone that is batshit crazy, but it's Mitt Romney, so it feels kinda hollow, like thanking someone for taking a shit in your sink as opposed to shitting in your microwave.

Also, I listened to his winning speech on NPR on the way home from work. Totally sounds like he's already the Republican nominee. I mean, granted, he pretty much is but still , kinda funny how he's jumping the gun.

Offline jsem

« Reply #780 on: January 11, 2012, 04:57:55 AM »
Perry is not out, he's pulling out all the stops in South Carolina.

Expect a Perry uprising, he's going to be the Santorum/Huntsman of South Carolina.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #781 on: January 11, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »
Well, he better get rolling then, so far the polls show him at 5%.

rumborak

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #782 on: January 11, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
As I understand it the GOP in S.C.  is dominated by the religious whack-jobs that fawn over the Perry types.  I suspect Romney will win again,  but Santorum, and to a lesser extent Perry, will do much better there.  This is where Romney's "cult" membership will hurt him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: January 11, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »
Here's the current polling in South Carolina

No way Perry's going to climb out of that hole in 10 days.  Although, it is true that the Evangelical vote in South Carolina is quite strong and Perry has a lot more money and resources than Santorum.  Watch for Rick Perry to go after Santorum and Gingrich in a bid for third place.  Ron Paul.....eh.....he'll probably come in third or fourth.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #784 on: January 11, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »
BTW, what's that talk about RP's potential bid as an independent if the GOP nomination doesn't work out? It would seem to me the public perception of such a move would come across as "someone who wants it too badly and can't take No for an answer".

rumborak

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #785 on: January 11, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
It would also come across as someone who actually wants a second term from Obama.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #786 on: January 11, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
Well alright then, I say have at it!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #787 on: January 11, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
If running as an independent would somehow get him into a televised debate with Romney and Obama I would be all for it. I think that could be extremely beneficial to public discourse.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: January 11, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
It would also come across as someone who actually wants a second term from Obama.

Considering that the current general election polling projections put Romney and Obama in a statistical tie, I think it can be confidently articulated that an independent bid by ANYONE who siphons votes from the Conservative voting contingent in this country would practically guarantee Obama a second term.

Offline jsem

« Reply #789 on: January 11, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »

No way Perry's going to climb out of that hole in 10 days.  Although, it is true that the Evangelical vote in South Carolina is quite strong and Perry has a lot more money and resources than Santorum.  Watch for Rick Perry to go after Santorum and Gingrich in a bid for third place.  Ron Paul.....eh.....he'll probably come in third or fourth.

Santorum was polling dead last a week before the caucus. Jon Huntsman was polling at about 10% a week ago, ended up 18%.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: January 11, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »

Santorum was polling dead last a week before the caucus. Jon Huntsman was polling at about 10% a week ago, ended up 18%.

No, he wasn't.  On December 29th - 6 days (also known as one day less than a week) prior to the caucus he was polling in third place at 16%

Offline jsem

« Reply #791 on: January 11, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
True. 1½ week before though. He started surging right after Christmas.

Offline TL

« Reply #792 on: January 11, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »
I really wish that newsletter stuff hadn't come up pre-Iowa, because Ron Paul winning Iowa really could have shaken things up. Now, I haven't really been a Ron Paul fan since I went through a bit of a phase back in early 2008, but at least the man has a few good policy positions, and seems very genuine. Romney, again, is a slimy fuck who will take whatever position he needs to to win. He embodies so many things that are wrong with American politics.

I'm rooting for Obama to win a second term, but would really like him to have an opponent who isn't completely terrible. Here's hoping Huntsman is able to build some name recognition this time around and does well in 2016.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: January 12, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »
I hear you loud and clear, TL, and I agree about Romney.  He's like a used car salesman on steroids.

It's easy to tell when he's lying.  Just look at his lips.  If they're moving, he's lying.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »
Meanwhile, Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich are stepping in it by violating Ronald Reagan's famous 11th Commandment "thou shalt not attack another Republican" by going after Romney for the work he did with Bain Capital.  I've always thought that was a bad strategy.  Bain Capital is actually a very, very well respected company in the business community and they give generously to lots and lots of charities.   

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #795 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »
Meanwhile, Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich are stepping in it by violating Ronald Reagan's famous 11th Commandment "thou shalt not attack another Republican" by going after Romney for the work he did with Bain Capital.  I've always thought that was a bad strategy. Bain Capital is actually a very, very well respected company in the business community and they give generously to lots and lots of charities.

I love Republicans.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #796 on: January 12, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »
Colbert 2012
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: January 13, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »

What's funniest about that is he's probably the best candidate in the entire field

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #798 on: January 13, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »
In all complete and utter honesty, I would vote for him over any of the Republicans running.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #799 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
I mean frankly that's not such a hard choice.

Anyway, lol of the day: according to Paul Krugman, Romney defended his actions at Bain Capital by likening it to Obama's auto industry bailout, a presidential act he had previously condemned. I can't find another article atm confirming this, but still lol.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #800 on: January 13, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: January 13, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »
I mean frankly that's not such a hard choice.

Anyway, lol of the day: according to Paul Krugman, Romney defended his actions at Bain Capital by likening it to Obama's auto industry bailout, a presidential act he had previously condemned. I can't find another article atm confirming this, but still lol.

Just read it a little while ago.  It was LOLtastic.  :lol

This is the actual quote from Romney:

“In the general election, I’ll be pointing out that the president took the reins of General Motors and Chrysler, closed factories, closed dealerships, laid off thousands and thousands of workers. He did it to try to save the business,” Romney said on “CBS This Morning.” “We … had, on occasion, to do things that are tough to try to save a business.”

And this was Mitt Romney's opinion of the auto industry bail out when Obama proposed it.

He really ought to shut his hole pretty soon or Obama IS going to landslide him.   Don't his handlers vet this stuff?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #802 on: January 13, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »
Obama didn't bail out the auto industry? That was George W., Obama just had to deal with the aftermath.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #803 on: January 13, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
No no, Obama did in 2010. It was the move that got my best friend to finally like Obama. :lol

It may be a different presidential act from the one you were thinking of.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #804 on: January 13, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
Not the way I remember it happening... Goerge W. gave the bailout, then Obama basically had to structure how that bailout would work, and made sure that the auto companies were using that money appropriately. I guess you could say Obama "bailed" them out with his plan, but it wasn't a choice he truly made going into office.