Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 231747 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #316 on: December 04, 2011, 05:50:05 AM »
Yeah, looks like Newt Gingrich is the new "Not Mitt Romney"

Offline jsem

« Reply #317 on: December 04, 2011, 08:20:08 AM »
I sincerely hope people understand that Newt ought to be unelectable after his affairs and his hypocrisy.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #318 on: December 04, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »
I sincerely hope people understand that Newt ought to be unelectable after his affairs and his hypocrisy.

Not that I would vote for him but wouldn't it be refreshing to have someone running for office be candid about his or her past and move on the the real issues?  No one is squeaky clean and I find it repulsive that most lie about their past.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #319 on: December 04, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
Newt is just such an opportunist scumbag.

edit: I realize you could apply that description to anyone running for POTUS.

Offline TL

« Reply #320 on: December 04, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
Really, it's reflective of both the incredibly messed up state the Republican party is currently in, and how terrible most of the candidates are, that Newt fucking Gingrich is even taken seriously as a candidate, let alone a frontrunner. I like one explanation I heard for his current success; "He is what a stupid person thinks a smart person sounds like".

Seriously. If a political party is celebrating people like Newt Gingrich, Herman Cain, and Michele Bachmann, while ignoring people like Jon Huntsman, they don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #321 on: December 04, 2011, 01:14:51 PM »
It's pretty goddamn telling that Herman Cain gets cut down not because of his actual platform or cluelessness on various issues, but some alleged extramarital affair.

All the more reason why I feel like it's not even worthwhile to argue or even care about politics anymore if the bulk of voters are this stupid. I know that sounds elitist, but eh.

Offline jsem

« Reply #322 on: December 04, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
It's true. It's saddening that people who are clueless go and vote.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #323 on: December 04, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
I'm wondering why this affair, which was supposedly consensual, was the one to bring him down.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #324 on: December 04, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »

Not that I would vote for him but wouldn't it be refreshing to have someone running for office be candid about his or her past and move on the the real issues?  No one is squeaky clean and I find it repulsive that most lie about their past.

I'm sorry, but I can't trust a guy who ran up a 500,000 dollar line of credit at Tiffany's with the countries budget. Let's not all forget the fact the Ali G made him look like a complete tard as well  :lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #325 on: December 04, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
Because the woman had proof to back up her claims (phone records and such), and his poll numbers were already slipping quite drastically. Honestly, I think the media helps us think people are stupider than they are, becuase the media focuses on the scandal; but I think a lot of voters saw the mans response to Libya, and didn't know China has nuclear weapons, and that's why his poll numbers dropped.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #326 on: December 04, 2011, 04:55:31 PM »

I'm sorry, but I can't trust a guy who ran up a 500,000 dollar line of credit at Tiffany's with the countries budget. Let's not all forget the fact the Ali G made him look like a complete tard as well  :lol

No, no.  I agree with you.  I would just like to see some honesty come out for once.  No falsehoods and empty promises.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #327 on: December 04, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »

I'm sorry, but I can't trust a guy who ran up a 500,000 dollar line of credit, at Tiffany's, with the country's budget. Let's not all forget the fact the Ali G made him look like a complete tard as well  :lol

No, no.  I agree with you.  I would just like to see some honesty come out for once.  No falsehoods and empty promises.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #328 on: December 04, 2011, 11:13:57 PM »

Then Gingrich is definitely not your man. People usually don't change drastically from like 40+, in fact they usually become more entrenched, so we know who Gingrich is, and he's a hypocritical politician out for fame and money.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #329 on: December 04, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: December 04, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
Honestly, I don't see how Gingrich's Tiffany's credit-line is of any relevance. If Obama's proven anything, it's that he's an utterly inept politician who allows those "entrenched" insiders to make his every decision for him, whether it be about the economy or the wars.  There are two areas, at least, where I think Gingrich could do better than Obama:

1.) Making his own decisions: Obama's proven again and again that he's just not capable of challenging economists, generals, and other advisers on domestic and foreign issues. Gingrich, however, has been around longer than most, and he probably would do a lot better job at cutting through the bullshit to press his own objectives (does Obama even have personal objectives anymore, or is it just his aids and advisers running the show like W.'s did?). Gingrich's sense of arrogance would probably make him harder to push around then Obama, who in contrast likes to think of himself as being "above the debate" but is actually the guy getting trampled by it.

2.) Leveling with the American people: This is one area where Obama has been beyond horrendous. American people don't understand what he's doing, and since he's so terrible at explaining it to them conservatives easily taint the discussion at the earliest stage, just like they did with Obamacare. Sure, he's got a good vocabulary, but that's not worth anything if you can't make a compelling case for anything you're doing in office. Obama may have seemed like a good debater 3 years ago, but that was when he was up against McCain and Palin, neither of whom are capable of making coherent statements. Gingrich, by comparison, is a much more competent orator than anyone in the running now, and one who seems to do a better job of sounding smart while breaking ideas down to a level normal people can understand.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:39:51 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »
I agree with your analysis of Obama, the first part at least. But just because Newt might be better at "being president" doesn't mean he'll do anything good.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »
Oh, I know. I am a far shot from being under the Newt fan tent. But he is probably the most competent person in the running, which is the most terrifying part of it all. I expect Romney will crack soon. He's managed to stay away from the media while they have basically already granted him the nomination, but the more he opens his mouth the less I'm confident he actually knows more about the issues than he did last time.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #333 on: December 05, 2011, 12:37:46 AM »
Obama is easily the most competent person running this time around. I think your analysis is somewhat out-of-date, and also directed falsely at Obama, instead of Executive bureaucracy and, most importantly, the Legislative Branch.. There's a reason incumbent President's often win, and it's becuase of experience. If the Republicans manage to nominate someone who isn't a complete fool, I think he could lose, and the rational will be the one you've given (though like I said, I think it's wrong).

He's been much more promising lately, and a lot of what has happened is still not his fault. He's only the President, he doesn't write laws, he doesn't pass laws, he doesn't control congress.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: December 05, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Yes, he doesn't control those things, but do you honestly think he's done a good job communicating what he's done to Americans?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #335 on: December 05, 2011, 03:08:46 AM »
Depends who you listen to.

Also, wait until he actually has an opponent to run against. We've all seen the Republicans, what they offer, etc, because they've been given the camera time, for obvious reasons.

I also think it's rather weird to vote for President based upon his ability to communicate to the people what he's done, instead of just actually voting for him based upon what he's done. I'm guessing we both get pre-filtered news, as well, so his ability is also up to other peoples ability, and our media isn't the most competent at times.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #336 on: December 05, 2011, 08:27:45 AM »
I'm soooo glad Cain is done!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #337 on: December 05, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »
Somewhat unrelated, but I thought it was kinda funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8CGeC2M_U&feature=related

From a Michelle Bachmann stand.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: December 05, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »
Yeah, Newt Gingrich, he's really "articulate"

“I am convinced that if we do not decisively win the struggle over the nature of America, by the time [my grandchildren are] my age they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American.” [Address to Cornerstone Church in Texas, March 2011]

And that's just one example of some of the absolute buffoonery that falls out of this guys mouth. 

Newt Gingrich is to reasonable, rational, substantive debate what Milli Vanilli is to excellent vocals  ::)

Can you imagine what kind of whack-jobs this guy will nominate to the federal bench and the SCOTUS?  :eek

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »
Somewhat unrelated, but I thought it was kinda funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8CGeC2M_U&feature=related

From a Michelle Bachmann stand.

Yeah, you know something?  Even though I vehemently disagree with Michelle Bachmann on, well, everything in existence.....*I think it's in pretty poor taste to use a kid like that to set her up. 

*They should have used a kid with a louder voice and a better camera!  :P

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #340 on: December 05, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »
In all seriousness I thought so too, I just thought her reaction was funny. Not the sorta thing you'd expect from someone well aware that the cameras are always watching.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #341 on: December 05, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
I can't watch it, it's making me too uncomfortable :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #342 on: December 05, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »
In all seriousness I thought so too, I just thought her reaction was funny. Not the sorta thing you'd expect from someone well aware that the cameras are always watching.

I'm glad a kid said it. Had the mother gone up and said it, she would have had some sort of preplanned response. I am sure she gets that kind of stuff all the time. It's the fact that she had no response to a child in regards to his gay mother that makes it perfectly clear how stupid it is to be against something so insignificat.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: December 05, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
Different area of the "Election 2012" topic, but I had to post this Ron Paul ad here to see what people think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCZVmQ74OA

I'll post my thoughts after a few others comment on it.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
I love it! It's great that he's playing this political game.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2011, 03:02:40 PM »
I've liked Newt from the beginning! Go get 'em Tiger!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #346 on: December 05, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
Different area of the "Election 2012" topic, but I had to post this Ron Paul ad here to see what people think:

:metal

It's cheesy, but I like it.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #347 on: December 05, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »

I know he's just "playing the game" but...I just went :lolpalm:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: December 05, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Ron Paul is, sadly, a pretty disappointing candidate this year (as opposed to in 08, when he was constantly on fire).

In my opinion, the fact that he's actually sitting in debates and getting a decent bit of media exposure is really starting to reveal the flaws in his positions. I mean, did anyone watch his 10 minutes on the Huckabee forum? He spent a decent 3rd of it struggling how to define a "terrorist attack" out-loud, had problems hearing reporters' questions, and burned his final minute of camera time up by radomly launching into an incoherent discussion on the "principle of seccession." How much more out of touch could he be?

Honestly, I would genuinely be surprised if anyone other than his core supporters is even able to figure out what he's going-on about half the time. I don't like admitting it, but he really is starting to sound like a nutty academic who has lost his grip on reality. It's really time for him to move out of the way and let the next guy come forward.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: December 05, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »

I know he's just "playing the game" but...I just went :lolpalm:

I almost peed myself laughing at the "pro-wrestling" vibe to be honest  :lol

Is this what our system has become?

A freaking monster-truck ad?   :facepalm: :lol :mehlin :lol

:\

Wait, why is that funny again?
 :|