Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 233317 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
Will Ron Paul get to be a flavour of the week?

Ron Paul is actually polling pretty good in Iowa, New Hampshire and California of all places, but, no, he's probably not going to make it too far past the South Carolina primary.  He's way too sane.

Offline jsem

« Reply #281 on: November 17, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
He's starting to advance in the polls. But no, he won't be a "flavor of the week". He will not lose his supporters that easily.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #282 on: November 18, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
Will Ron Paul get to be a flavour of the week?

Ron Paul is actually polling pretty good in Iowa, New Hampshire and California of all places, but, no, he's probably not going to make it too far past the South Carolina primary.  He's way too sane.

Apparently the mans not ruling out a third party bid, which I actually think would be interesting. Some talk about him gaining traction in the Republican party as well, which is interesting. Just the presence of Paul at the debates, in the national spotlight, would probably have an effect on how this country moves forward. There's some area's where I massively disagree with him, but he's actually hinted at some reasonable compromises that I think most liberals can get behind.

Obama still present's somewhat of an enigma. He hasn't done very well in the past, but recently he really has gotten better at the job; and I think his message against congress is dead on. He still strikes me as an incredibly intelligent person, and is one reason I think Paul could affect the election whether he wins or not. It would be very interesting to see the two of them debate. I'd find myself in an interesting dilemma, I know that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #283 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
I think people grossly underestimate Obama's policy successes. The only reason his policy failures get more attention is because they're failures.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #284 on: November 18, 2011, 10:13:04 PM »
From what I understand most straw polls are online polls. Which is probably why the GOP believes the results of those as much as we believed that Nickelback's drummer is the best rock drummer.
I don't even need to look online to know that RP's forum will have "let's vote for RP in this poll" threads, with the more internet-savvy guys using their knowledge to give their voice a bit more Oomph than normal.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsem

« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2011, 04:20:24 AM »
I think most straw polls require that you attend the event and pay a fee to be able to vote.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: November 28, 2011, 05:41:17 PM »
https://www.politico.com/2012-election/

lol@Herman Cain

I think most straw polls require that you attend the event and pay a fee to be able to vote.

Yes, this. The fact RP has done well in a couple straw-polls is very promising for him, imo.

Offline jsem

« Reply #287 on: November 29, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »
https://www.politico.com/2012-election/

lol@Herman Cain

Yes, this. The fact RP has done well in a couple straw-polls is very promising for him, imo.
He does extremely well. He has won pretty much half or more than half of every major straw poll held since the campaigning began.

And lolCain.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure Cain is done. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #289 on: November 30, 2011, 06:05:45 AM »
“Those who are going to be over 21 on November 12th, I ask for your support,” Perry said, eliciting a few chuckles from the crowd.” Those who won’t be, just work hard. Because you’re... counting on us.”

Oh Rick Perry.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:33 AM »
“Those who are going to be over 21 on November 12th, I ask for your support,” Perry said, eliciting a few chuckles from the crowd.” Those who won’t be, just work hard. Because you’re... counting on us.”

Oh Rick Perry.

I've been compiling most of his major gaffes here:  https://www.governorgoodhair.org

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: November 30, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
From what I understand most straw polls are online polls. Which is probably why the GOP believes the results of those as much as we believed that Nickelback's drummer is the best rock drummer.
I don't even need to look online to know that RP's forum will have "let's vote for RP in this poll" threads, with the more internet-savvy guys using their knowledge to give their voice a bit more Oomph than normal.

rumborak
Straw Polls are not the same as "log on now to Fox News or CNN and vote for your favourite candidate".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #292 on: November 30, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »

Oh Rick Perry.

I've been compiling most of his major gaffes here:  https://www.governorgoodhair.org

He actually said "November the 12th". I don't know why, but I freaking hate when people say dates like that. Who does he think he is, George Bush the second?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
If that's true (that he said "November the 12th") then several news agencies have misquoted him.  Not that it matters much, he's a fucking idiot either way.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »
OK, yeah, you're right, the quotes all have it wrong.  I just found several videos where it's documented and he did say "November the 12th"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: November 30, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
Pretty funny that he stepped in it again while defending his latest stupidity
https://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/30/while-defending-himself-perry-steps-in-it-again/

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: November 30, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
How easy are they trying to make things for Obama? yeesh

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: November 30, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
I actually know very little about who is in the running for the Democrats. So much focus in on the Republican party and how much of a joke the candidates are, people don't seem to be giving the democrats any attention.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #298 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:39 AM »
Hint: it's a certain black President from Chicago who's up for reelection.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2011, 11:30:04 AM »

I get that, but a lot of people are not satisfied with the job he has done. I figured there would be a bunch of people interested in alternate options on the democratic side.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #300 on: November 30, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »

I get that, but a lot of people are not satisfied with the job he has done. I figured there would be a bunch of people interested in alternate options on the democratic side.
It's a pretty bad idea to run against an incumbent president from your party. Never really turns out well for anyone. There are probably Democrats out there who don't like Obama, but they probably like him a whole lot more than any of the Republicans.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »

There is not going to be another candidate on the Democratic side. 

Can I ask you two questions?  I mean no dis-respect at all, I am just curious.

1. How old are you?

2. Are you a US citizen?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #302 on: November 30, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »

It's a pretty bad idea to run against an incumbent president from your party. Never really turns out well for anyone. There are probably Democrats out there who don't like Obama, but they probably like him a whole lot more than any of the Republicans.

This.  Sadly, this reminds me of 2004, but flipped.  Bush was horrible and should have been beatable, but the Democrats had no one worth a crap to beat him (John Kerry? :lol), and we got stuck with Bush for another four years.  Same thing now with Obama, who has also been horrible (not comparing his horribleness to Bush, just saying) and the GOP not having anyone worth a crap to beat him.  Odds are, we are gonna get stuck with Obama for another four.  Yippee.

Offline jsem

« Reply #303 on: November 30, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »
Howard Dean should've been the democratic choice in 04, just like Ron Paul should be the one now.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: November 30, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »
Actually, I thought John Kerry was massively better suited for the office than Dubya, and of course, we'll never know how a Kerry presidency would have gone, but it certainly couldn't have been any worse than the unmitigated disaster of George W. Bush, easily the worst president in a generation.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #305 on: November 30, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »
I didn't dislike Kerry all that much. Then again I was much younger when he was in the running, so I probably didn't understand most of it.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #306 on: December 02, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I saw this Forbes article via Reddit today about a provision of Obamcare that's supposedly going into effect which I thought was interesting.   

the provision of the law, called the medical loss ratio, that requires health insurance companies to spend 80% of the consumers’ premium dollars they collect—85% for large group insurers—on actual medical care rather than overhead, marketing expenses and profit. Failure on the part of insurers to meet this requirement will result in the insurers having to send their customers a rebate check representing the amount in which they underspend on actual medical care.

This is the true ‘bomb’ contained in Obamacare and the one item that will have more impact on the future of how medical care is paid for in this country than anything we’ve seen in quite some time.  Indeed, it is this aspect of the law that represents the true ‘death panel’ found in Obamacare—but not one that is going to lead to the death of American consumers. Rather, the medical loss ration will, ultimately, lead to the death of large parts of the private, for-profit health insurance industry.

Why? Because there is absolutely no way for-profit health insurers are going to be able to learn how to get by and still make a profit while being forced to spend at least 80 percent of their receipts providing their customers with the coverage for which they paid. If they could, we likely would never have seen the extraordinary efforts made by these companies to avoid paying benefits to their customers at the very moment they need it the most.

Today, that bomb goes off.

Today, the Department of Health & Human Services issues the rules of what insurer expenditures will—and will not—qualify as a medical expense for purposes of meeting the requirement.

As it turns out, HHS isn’t screwing around. They actually mean to see to it that the insurance companies spend what they should taking care of their customers.

Here’s an example: For months, health insurance brokers and salespeople have been lobbying to have the commissions they earn for selling an insurer’s program to consumers be included as a ‘medical expense’ for purposes of the rules. HHS has, today, given them the official thumbs down, as well they should have. Selling me a health insurance policy is simply not the same as providing me with the medical care I am entitled to under the policy. Sales is clearly an overhead cost in any business and had HHS included this as a medical cost, it would have signaled that they are not at all serious about enforcing the concept of the medical loss ratio.

So, can private health insurance companies manage to make a profit when they actually have to spend premium receipts taking care of their customers’ health needs as promised?

Not a chance-and they know it. Indeed, we are already seeing the parent companies who own these insurance operations fleeing into other types of investments. They know what we should all know – we are now on an inescapable path to a single-payer system for most Americans and thank goodness for it.

Whether you are a believer in the benefits of single-payer health coverage or an opponent, mark this day down on your calendar because this is the day seismic shifts in our health care system finally get under way.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2011/12/02/the-bomb-buried-in-obamacare-explodes-today-halleluja/2/

Is this guy just bloviating or is this actually significant? I can't tell.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #307 on: December 03, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »
As someone that used to be a health insurance agent and currently does administrative work for a few health insurance companies, I can tell you this sounds incredibly significant.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jsem

« Reply #308 on: December 03, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
Ron Paul's attack ad against Newt Gingrich was the best I've probably ever seen. It's gained so much fire now and it's gone viral - just as Gingrich is surging. It's a good thing, Gingrich should not win.

Edit:
The ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWKTOCP45zY
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:06:40 PM by jsem »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #309 on: December 03, 2011, 10:56:58 AM »
As someone that used to be a health insurance agent and currently does administrative work for a few health insurance companies, I can tell you this sounds incredibly significant.
Interesting. I'm hoping to read or hear more about this since I've only seen that one opinion piece.

and post the ad here jsem

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: December 03, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
And Herman Cain is officially out of the race! Good riddance, USA.

Offline jsem

« Reply #311 on: December 03, 2011, 01:08:25 PM »
Aww, that sucks. He was pure comedy gold.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #312 on: December 03, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
I am actually disappointed.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #313 on: December 03, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Who do y'all think will the next to lose?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #314 on: December 03, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »
Aww, that sucks. He was pure comedy gold.

I guess in the end he gave that woodchuck a tuna melt, or a metal skull crusher.

Who do y'all think will the next to lose?

I would think the next suspensions of campaign will wait until the Ohio primaries are in. Thing is, Cain had never been subjected to public scrutiny, whereas the remaining candidates have all been around long enough to not have egregious skeletons in their closet.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."