Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 231745 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »
This is the same woman who stated she was from the same city as John Wayne - which turned out to be John Wayne Gacy. Also the same woman who said Happy Birthday to Elvis when it was the anniversary of his death.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
How did she end up getting in office?

Was she rich or something?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 06:12:51 AM »
How did she end up getting in office?

Was she rich or something?

Why did Palin end up getting as far as she did?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »
Does Bachmann even know how the Government works? Did she ever take a civics class in high-school, or did she skip to many days to get credit? I hated civics, and even I could be a better president than her.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »
Rick Perry will be the Republican nominee, Obama will not have a primary challenge, but he's a weak candidate because the economy has not turned around fast enough and even though it's really not his fault he's still going to receive the brunt of the blame for it.

I think the presidential election will be very, very close.  It's difficult to unseat an incumbent president. I hold up George W. Bush as an example.  His favorability ratings at this point were 5 to 7 points lower than Obama's and he beat John Kerry fairly handily.  Granted, John Kerry is about as charismatic as a fucking brick, and Obama's going to have to go up against Rick Perry, who, despite his faults, is a seasoned campaigner......but the problem is, political insiders are not in vogue right now, and Perry, despite the strong economy in Texas, carries a lot baggage.

It's definitely going to be a very interesting election cycle.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
I don't think it'll be that close.  Perry will clean up in the primaries, but far too whacked out to run in the general election.  He's too much of a cowboy.  Plus, the allegedly gangbuster Texas situation is somewhat misleading.  A helluva lot of people who aren't idiot rednecks actually care about education and healthcare, which are two areas we're pretty much dead last. 

Plus,  things don't have to improve that much for Obama to get a bump out of it.  He's got over a year to hope for even a marginal improvement in the economy, which he'll get to take the credit for. 

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »
I don't think it'll be that close.  Perry will clean up in the primaries, but far too whacked out to run in the general election.  He's too much of a cowboy.  Plus, the allegedly gangbuster Texas situation is somewhat misleading.  A helluva lot of people who aren't idiot rednecks actually care about education and healthcare, which are two areas we're pretty much dead last. 

Plus,  things don't have to improve that much for Obama to get a bump out of it.  He's got over a year to hope for even a marginal improvement in the economy, which he'll get to take the credit for. 

I've got one word for ya: Dubya   :lol

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
I feel sorry for you United Statesmen, nearly every candidate is an idiot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »

No correlation.  Bush was a moron, but he wasn't particularly fanatical.  Furthermore,  The landscape has changed quite a bit since then.  Strangely,  Bush would be considered far too moderate to compete within the current incarnation of the GOP.  Perry is leading by appealing to those maniacs. 

Plus,  W hurts Perry a great deal since most people still have a very sour feeling about electing hare-brained Texas governors. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 02:12:20 PM »
Why is it that both parties can't seem to come up with good candidates when it would be relatively easy to win the election? The Dems couldn't come up with anyone in 2004 when they should have easily beat Bush. No the Reps can't come up with anyone this time when Obama looks weak.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »

No correlation.  Bush was a moron, but he wasn't particularly fanatical.  Furthermore,  The landscape has changed quite a bit since then.  Strangely,  Bush would be considered far too moderate to compete within the current incarnation of the GOP.  Perry is leading by appealing to those maniacs. 

Plus,  W hurts Perry a great deal since most people still have a very sour feeling about electing hare-brained Texas governors. 

I hope you're right, but I'm not very confident in Obama's chances.  I'm not even a big fan of his to be honest, he's nowhere near as progressive as I thought or had hoped he would be and he's kinda been a bit of a fuckup on a few things.  Like putting entitlements on the table.   :facepalm:  He's the best thing to happen to Republicans in a decade  :\

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 03:12:33 PM »
He's the best thing to happen to Republicans in a decade  :\

I agree with this, but probably for a different reason.  Obama's been a huge boon to the GOP (although they're far too blind to notice) because he's helped them shift the landscape quite a bit to the right.  Half the country willy rally around a democrat who's ideologically a helluva lot closer to a Reagan Republican the the GOP's own nominee will be, and they'll think they've won if he gets elected. 

Frankly,  Bush/Obama are essentially the exact same ideologically.  The GOP and the tea-party nimrods are fighting over who can be further right, and the democrats are filling the void left by the original republicans.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
I just looked at every one of the possible nominees for the spot on the 2012 bill and if I had to vote for any of them, it would be Fred Karger, but if we're talking about anyone with a semblance of a chance, it would be Ron Paul.

I'm going to read this thread now.

edit: If Mitt Romney or Rick Perry get elected, I'll shit a brick.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:01:02 PM by 73109 »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
edit: If Mitt Romney or Rick Perry get elected, I'll shit a brick.
Romney could actually beat Obama.  He just can't beat Perry to get there.  The tea party won't back him because he's sane, and the GOP won't support him because of the M next to his name, and the fact that he deigned to give poor people insurance. 
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »
They are both fucking wacko.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 06:30:49 AM »

I agree with this, but probably for a different reason.  Obama's been a huge boon to the GOP (although they're far too blind to notice) because he's helped them shift the landscape quite a bit to the right.  Half the country willy rally around a democrat who's ideologically a helluva lot closer to a Reagan Republican the the GOP's own nominee will be, and they'll think they've won if he gets elected. 

Frankly,  Bush/Obama are essentially the exact same ideologically.  The GOP and the tea-party nimrods are fighting over who can be further right, and the democrats are filling the void left by the original republicans.

Well, maybe....but consider Obama's supreme court appointments.  Bush would have never appointed two liberals to the court.  To ME, that is pretty much the only reason I have to vote for Obama again.  In the next term, he may have another opportunity to make another appointment to the court, and the balance will finally start shifting back to the left a bit.  Some of the rulings to come out of "Dubya's Court" in the last few years have been absolutely fucking ridiculous (I'm thinking Citizens United for example)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

Well, maybe....but consider Obama's supreme court appointments.  Bush would have never appointed two liberals to the court.  To ME, that is pretty much the only reason I have to vote for Obama again.  In the next term, he may have another opportunity to make another appointment to the court, and the balance will finally start shifting back to the left a bit.  Some of the rulings to come out of "Dubya's Court" in the last few years have been absolutely fucking ridiculous (I'm thinking Citizens United for example)
SCOTUS appointments are an interesting thing.  They don't always turn out quite the way you expected.  Look at Souter.  In Bush's case,  Roberts might actually turn out to be halfway sane.  No hope for Alito.  Either way,  the problem with any upcoming appointments is that they won't alter the ideological landscape much.  The GOP wing of the court is quite young.  The liberal side is quite a bit older, so the best Obama can do is maintain what little balance there is.  Personally,  I'd bet on Ginsberg being the next to skidaddle, and you're not going to find anybody more liberal then her.  In Kennedy's case,  you could certainly move his slot to the left a bit, but he's actually one of the rational right leaning justices, so I'm not sure I'd like that a whole lot either.

As I've said before,  I'd rather have 9 O'Connor's* than an equal mix of Thomas's and Breyer's. 

*even though that woman did quite a lot to fuck us all before leaving.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »

SCOTUS appointments are an interesting thing.  They don't always turn out quite the way you expected.  Look at Souter.  In Bush's case,  Roberts might actually turn out to be halfway sane.  No hope for Alito.  Either way,  the problem with any upcoming appointments is that they won't alter the ideological landscape much.  The GOP wing of the court is quite young.  The liberal side is quite a bit older, so the best Obama can do is maintain what little balance there is.  Personally,  I'd bet on Ginsberg being the next to skidaddle, and you're not going to find anybody more liberal then her.  In Kennedy's case,  you could certainly move his slot to the left a bit, but he's actually one of the rational right leaning justices, so I'm not sure I'd like that a whole lot either.

As I've said before,  I'd rather have 9 O'Connor's* than an equal mix of Thomas's and Breyer's. 

*even though that woman did quite a lot to fuck us all before leaving.

Right, that's exactly my point. The liberal side of the court is going to be out of there long before any of the conservatives.  If a republican were to get elected in 2012, by the end of his/her first term, the court would likely be shifted to the right, where it would stay for quite some time.  And as far as I'm concerned the court is already way too far to the right as it is. 

I'm not expecting Obama to shift the court to the left at all - the numbers just don't work for that, I'm just hoping to maintain the status quo.   A Republican would most certainly replace Ginsberg with a conservative and then what's next?  Pretty soon you'll be able to buy an AK-47 at the supermarket, while you're picking up milk on the way home from work.  :lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
I turned on the TV and Talladega Nights was on, and it made me realize, Will Ferrell would do an incredible Rick Perry (be sorta like his Bush anyways).

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
El Bart, have you seen any W interviews post-presidency? He's not as stupid as you all make him out to be. It'd be nice if you laid off the name calling of conservatives and things relating to Republicans. You're not the only one with an opinion and this megaphone called the Internet.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »
El Bart, have you seen any W interviews post-presidency? He's not as stupid as you all make him out to be. It'd be nice if you laid off the name calling of conservatives and things relating to Republicans. You're not the only one with an opinion and this megaphone called the Internet.
He isn't a retard, I'll give you that,  but what intelligence he does have he has zero interest in actually using.  My guess is that the guy can probably work the hell out of a sudoku puzzle,  something that confounded me the one time I took a look at one,  but he lacks both the bandwidth and the interest to take on complex matters.  He's, quite simply,  a very simple man, which I suspect is largely by choice and by design. 

As for the name calling,  it's not like I'm any kinder to Obama or his ilk.  I've made it pretty clear that I think Obama's a jackass and a surprisingly bad president.  He's no less deserving of my criticism than Bush was, as far as I'm concerned.  No more or less than any of their minions that think guns are more important than medicine, or that making me drive a go-kart will save the Earth,  or that it's really cool that the government spies on us,  or that the government can solve every one of our problems.  Dickheads exist on both sides of the political spectrum,  and I'm quite content to continue calling the dickheads.   
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2011, 05:32:36 AM »
I like this forum. I can't argue with a post like that. I  Am conservative myself. While conservative at heart and belief, I am much more moderate in reality. Ideally I'd like to see things happen a certain way, but I realize that won't be the case. My ideal candidate is more or less someone like Mike Huckabee. I know a lot of people are put off by his religious stances, but if you see how he got smeared in the 2008 primaries because of what he did as Gov. of Arkansas, you'll see that he's a tad more moderate.

I cannot stand Bachman or Perry. Romney will get my vote in the primary, but it's really the turd sandwich as opposed to the giant douche.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
Well, truth be told, I'm a liberal/socialist and I actually think Mike Huckabee is, at the very least, a sincere guy.  My problem with Dubya is two-fold.  First, I vehemently disagree with his supply-side economics.  Cutting taxes for the rich does not work.  All it does is create huge deficits, we learned that under Reagan.  These are facts that cannot be refuted.  A simple objective review of history proves it.  The deficit skyrocketed under Reagan, so much so that even though George H. W. "Read My Lips" Bush promised he would not raise taxes, he had no choice, just as some future president will have no choice but to eliminate Dubya's tax cuts.  They are the single biggest contributor to the current deficit.  Supply side has been fully and unequivocally debunked.  Not once, but twice.  But the American voting public seems to have the memory of a flea.

The second thing about Dubya that bugs me is, well, he belongs in prison and he's not there.  In my view, him, Dick Cheney and anyone else who was involved in the greatest foreign policy blunder in the history of this country (which wasn't really a blunder but more of a scam to steer money to Halliburtan, et all, but I digress) all belong in the big house.

Other than that, I'm sure he's a swell guy.  :\

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
Here's what I don't get.  Do Perry's supporters really think he stands a chance in a general election?  If I were a republican I'd be horrified right now.  You really don't have to be Kreskin to see how this is going to unfold. 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 02:46:58 AM »
Apparently Perry has made statements about Texas seceding. You know, if I were him and wanted to achieve this,  probably the best way of going about such a thing would be to steer the population against a brick wall covertly. That way they have the impression the democratic process is not working, and other options need to be considered.

/tinfoilhat

rumborak 
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »
Here's what I don't get.  Do Perry's supporters really think he stands a chance in a general election?  If I were a republican I'd be horrified right now.  You really don't have to be Kreskin to see how this is going to unfold. 

He's better than Bachman or Palin.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
I hardly see how that matters. 

They're going to nominate someone who can't beat Obama because he's a whackjob like they are, instead of a reasonable Republican who would actually match up well against Obama, but isn't insane enough to get the base riled up. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
I've decided to not care in the slightest bit who's running until it's down to the two main candidates.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »
Everyone is talking about <Republican candidate> vs. Obama. Have the Ds already pushed in all their chips with Obama for 2012? Is no one going to bother to campaign against him?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »
Everyone is talking about <Republican candidate> vs. Obama. Have the Ds already pushed in all their chips with Obama for 2012? Is no one going to bother to campaign against him?

Course not, this is American politics, not a democratic process.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
That would actually be one way to land ourselves with President Perry.  Obama still has some support from the base, and a new guy would lose some of that.  He also has the trappings of the office, which are great for campaigning.  Incumbents have a distinct advantage that a new candidate would lack.  More importantly,  challenges to the incumbents never work.  It's been tried on several occasions, and only twice have they been even moderately successful

The bigger problem is every time that it's been tried, the other party wins the general election.  Daddy Bush faced real competition from Buchanon, and went on to lose.  Carter had Teddy Kennedy on his ass, and went on to lose.  Ford had Reagan, and went on to lose.  Johnson had RFK and McCarthy; lost to Nixon.  Same story all the way back to Taft, Roosevelt and Wilson.  I figure the democrats are looking at the pragmatic approach, and a shitty candidate with an edge is better than a shitty candidate in a dead heat. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »
Anyone catch the debate tonight? I caught part of it while cooking dinner, and for the most part, no one answered the question asked of them; the moderator called them on them a decent amount. I also remember a lot of self-contradictory statements by people. Romney, when asked, complained about how 51% of American's don't pay a federal income tax, especially in a time of war, but then went on to say the middle class has been hit too hard and anyone under $200,000 a year shouldn't pay anything, but that's 97% of all Americans!

Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman were the best in my opinion, Herman Cain was reasonable at times. It seems like Ron Paul hints that he'd be willing to negotiate on things. He brought up we pay $20 billion a year for air conditioning in the Iraq, and that if we took that away, we could put $10 billion to domestic programs, and $10 billion to debt reduction (as well as the troops not wanting to be there as much). While the actual example has some faults, he could very easily have said no money to domestic programs, like health care, or social security.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
I caught the end of it and I couldn't really listen. Most of the responses were so corny, predictable, and fake. Huntsman was surprisingly OK to me though. I hadn't heard much of him before. I don't think Paul was even given a chance to speak, at least while I was watching.