Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 235450 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #1330 on: February 27, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »
Yeah, with the news of the last few days I kinda retract my statements. I still think Santorum will get a hick state or two, but Romney will probably come out bruised but victorious.
Gingrich and Paul are still out of the race though. Was discussing that today with a coworker; for his sake Paul should call it a day after Super Tuesday's inevitable beating. If he keeps on going he will come across as someone who can't get a message.

rumborak

Michigan, please vote for Romney. God forbid we're viewed as a hick-state to someone out on the east coast.

Say what?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1331 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
I assure you, Michigan is not viewed as a hick state on the East Coast.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: February 27, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
Depends which Michigan.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1333 on: February 27, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
Depends which Michigan.

Lower Michigan  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1334 on: February 27, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
I cant believe you guys have tax breaks for people earning over 200k!

???  We don't.  Where did you get that from?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1335 on: February 27, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
Yeah, with the news of the last few days I kinda retract my statements. I still think Santorum will get a hick state or two, but Romney will probably come out bruised but victorious.
Gingrich and Paul are still out of the race though. Was discussing that today with a coworker; for his sake Paul should call it a day after Super Tuesday's inevitable beating. If he keeps on going he will come across as someone who can't get a message.

rumborak

You do know Paul is in it because he has a large forum to spread his message. If it were just for the presidency, his campaign would be a whole lot different. This is an educational campaign.

Errrrr, when did that change happen? Last I remember he was in to become the POTUS.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1336 on: February 27, 2012, 04:34:10 PM »

rumborak

You do know Paul is in it because he has a large forum to spread his message. If it were just for the presidency, his campaign would be a whole lot different. This is an educational campaign.

Errrrr, when did that change happen? Last I remember he was in to become the POTUS.

rumborak

Probably around the time it became so painfully obvious that he wasn't going to win that his extreme die hard fan base had to find some way to rationalize it without accepting defeat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1337 on: February 27, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »
I assure you, Michigan is not viewed as a hick state on the East Coast.

More to the point, snapple, was that sarcasm about Romney? I mean I hate to sound like a soundbyte, but that guy is not good for Michigan. Not to say any of them are, but especially that guy.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1338 on: February 27, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
I think Romney would be good for Michigan.

Here's how I see it

Santorum - downgrade from Obama
Obama - stays the same
Romney - addition by subtraction of Obama
Newt - GOAT

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: February 27, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »

rumborak

rumborak

Probably around the time it became so painfully obvious that he wasn't going to win that his extreme die hard fan base had to find some way to rationalize it without accepting defeat.
I don't think Ron Paul has ever actually thought he could win.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1340 on: February 27, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
Wouldn't it be rather calloused to collect millions of dollars in donations by telling your base you're running for POTUS, but actually only use it marketing your cause?

rumborak

Offline TL

« Reply #1341 on: February 27, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »

Here's how I see it

Obama - stays the same
Newt - GOAT

Serious question; how is Obama bad for Michigan? The bailouts that he and Bush both had a hand in basically saved the auto industry in Detroit. Romney is the guy who literally wrote an op-ed at the time titled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt".
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html

The auto companies themselves have basically said that Romney's plan at the time would probably have killed them.

In other matters, this Super Tuesday could be very interesting, in that we may not lose any candidates immediately afterward. Romney is obviously still in unless something crazy happens, Santorum will most likely still be in, unless he current slight decline turns into a freefall, Paul will probably stay in until the end like in 2008, and if he can afford it, Gingrich will stay in out of spite.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1342 on: February 27, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
Oh, the same bailouts that helped the unions? Okay. If you knew what Michigan's problems were, it's not just the auto industry.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1343 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »

Here's how I see it

Obama - stays the same
Newt - GOAT

Serious question; how is Obama bad for Michigan? The bailouts that he and Bush both had a hand in basically saved the auto industry in Detroit. Romney is the guy who literally wrote an op-ed at the time titled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt".
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html

The auto companies themselves have basically said that Romney's plan at the time would probably have killed them.

In other matters, this Super Tuesday could be very interesting, in that we may not lose any candidates immediately afterward. Romney is obviously still in unless something crazy happens, Santorum will most likely still be in, unless he current slight decline turns into a freefall, Paul will probably stay in until the end like in 2008, and if he can afford it, Gingrich will stay in out of spite.

Ninja'd.

Oh, the same bailouts that helped the unions? Okay. If you knew what Michigan's problems were, it's not just the auto industry.

It might not just be the auto industry, but saving that did a great deal more good than you could imagine. If Detroit had been allowed to go bankrupt, as per Romney's wishes, we'd be complaining about a lot more than an economic recovery that only took two years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1344 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »

It might not just be the auto industry, but saving that did a great deal more good than you could imagine. If Detroit had been allowed to go bankrupt, as per Romney's wishes, we'd be complaining about a lot more than an economic recovery that only took two years.

Not that we can every really "know" for certain what would have happened, but something I feel necessary to point out:  Are you aware that many corporate bankruptcy filings do not result in companies closing their doors, but instead are forced company reorganizations under an appointed trustee whose job it is to make sure the necessary changes are made to get the corporation back on sound financial footing?  FYI, that is the type of bankruptcy some of the car companies were considering.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1345 on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
Those bankruptcies usually benefit from a functioning market around them who buys up pieces of the bankrupt company. At the time no automaker, domestic or foreign, would have bought anything, resulting in the necessity of massive layoffs.

I find it ludicrous to somehow assert that, just because Obama is a Democrat, he somehow gets a hard on by throwing government money at companies. Remember that GWB came to the same solution as Obama before.

rumborak

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #1346 on: February 27, 2012, 10:45:02 PM »

The article I read regarding Romney's tax priorities seemed to imply that there were tax breaks. Note I'm being a nerd here and including government subsidies as well - all things that the government provides that reduce a) the amount of tax you pay and b) the amount of money you pay for other things (directly, ofcourse).
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1347 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
Those bankruptcies usually benefit from a functioning market around them who buys up pieces of the bankrupt company. At the time no automaker, domestic or foreign, would have bought anything, resulting in the necessity of massive layoffs.
Which is why I said all along the best solution would have been a controlled bankruptcy with the government loans to keep them afloat. 

I really can't believe what a buffoon Frothy is.  Now we have the college snobbery debacle.  The guy's crafted this brilliant strategy of misstating facts and positions at will, secure in the knowledge that Republicans won't fact-check him anyway;  pretty shrewd.  But my God if you can't knock your own pitches out of the park you're going to look like a genuine village idiot.  He's striking himself out with with issues that he's creating for his own benefit.  How does a person so politically inept get as far as he has?

At this point I'd really love to see him get the nomination just because of the entertainment value.  Give him six more months against a real opponent and it could be a real blast.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1348 on: February 27, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
Is he retarded or something?

rumborak

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1349 on: February 28, 2012, 08:17:50 AM »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:02 AM »
Pretty much, yeah.
[Rape victims should] make the best of a bad situation.

Wow

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1351 on: February 28, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
It is quite amazing how actively he alienates so many societal groups.

rumborak

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1352 on: February 28, 2012, 09:12:38 AM »
I feel like there should be a conspiracy Keanu about Santorum purposely sabotaging the Republican primary for Obama. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1353 on: February 28, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
Supposedly Michael Moore called on Democrats to go voting for Santorum in Michigan (where you don't need to register).

rumborak

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1354 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
If it wasn't too late for me to do so, I totally would.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1355 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
It would be a disaster for Romney to lose Michigan for sure, and could shift the momentum back to Santorum. The GOP higher-ups are probably on the edge of their seats today.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1356 on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »
I feel like there should be a conspiracy Keanu about Santorum purposely sabotaging the Republican primary for Obama. :lol

That makes more sense than anything else.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1357 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »
Supposedly Michael Moore called on Democrats to go voting for Santorum in Michigan (where you don't need to register).

rumborak
Looks like Frothy is making the same pitch.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/28/santorum-encourages-michigan-democrats-to-vote-against-romney-in-phone-calls/

The robocall going around Monday says Democrats should send "a loud message" to Romney by voting for Santorum. The message says it's supported by "hard-working Democratic men and women" and paid for by the Santorum campaign.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1358 on: February 28, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
:lol What the hell?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1359 on: February 28, 2012, 12:22:18 PM »
How brain-dead is his target audience?! The "only true conservative" is supported by Democrats? :lol

rumborak

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1360 on: February 28, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
How brain-dead is his target audience?! The "only true conservative" is supported by Democrats? :lol

rumborak

Actually, it's a smart move by Santorum, because he knows that most Democrats want him to be the nominee because of his perceived weakness against Obama.  Anything can happen between now and November. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1361 on: February 28, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »

rumborak

Actually, it's a smart move by Santorum, because he knows that most Democrats want him to be the nominee because of his perceived weakness against Obama.  Anything can happen between now and November.
Yeah, that's exactly how I see it.  Honestly, the dude's working some pretty solid strategies.  His problem is that he's too big an imbecile to actually take advantage.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1362 on: February 28, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »

The article I read regarding Romney's tax priorities seemed to imply that there were tax breaks. Note I'm being a nerd here and including government subsidies as well - all things that the government provides that reduce a) the amount of tax you pay and b) the amount of money you pay for other things (directly, ofcourse).

There's a bunch of loopholes for rich people to take advantage of (they're the ones who can afford the accountants, who also lobby for loopholes and gimmicks in the first place), so it's a little hard to know exactly what you're talking about. If I had to take a guess, though, you're most likely referencing the fact that capital gains is only taxed at 16% - and that's how he "earns" the vast majority of the money he makes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1363 on: February 28, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »

rumborak

Yeah, that's exactly how I see it.  Honestly, the dude's working some pretty solid strategies.  His problem is that he's too big an imbecile to actually take advantage.

That didn't stop W from becoming the President. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #1364 on: February 28, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »

Not that we can every really "know" for certain what would have happened, but something I feel necessary to point out:  Are you aware that many corporate bankruptcy filings do not result in companies closing their doors, but instead are forced company reorganizations under an appointed trustee whose job it is to make sure the necessary changes are made to get the corporation back on sound financial footing?  FYI, that is the type of bankruptcy some of the car companies were considering.
Yes, controlled bankruptcy was what Romney was advocating. However, controlled bankruptcy hinges quite a bit on a large influx of private capital. At the time, they could not reasonably expect to get such private capital. Many of the auto company execs have since said this.

I wouldn't be as critical of Romney's stance if he would admit that he was wrong about this one. Heck, since he's in the middle of a campaign and as such definitely won't admit such a thing, I'd settle for having him stop actively insisting that the bailouts were a bad idea, since, as we have seen, they weren't.