Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 234741 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #1225 on: February 12, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
Why is it the people who campaign strongly against gay marriage dont say a peep on all the divorces or adultery going on? I mean in terms of sheer number I would have thought those two things threaten the covenant of marriage far more but I doubt they feature at all in the campaign material, and nobody seems in a hurry to outlaw them.

(Perhaps this isnt strictly relevant to the topic but it occurred to me when reading some santorum stuff.)
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1226 on: February 12, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
Apparently, it wasn't true. Oh well, it's not like it seemed weird for Santorum to say heavy metal was evil.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1227 on: February 12, 2012, 01:11:29 PM »
Why is it the people who campaign strongly against gay marriage dont say a peep on all the divorces or adultery going on? I mean in terms of sheer number I would have thought those two things threaten the covenant of marriage far more but I doubt they feature at all in the campaign material, and nobody seems in a hurry to outlaw them.

(Perhaps this isnt strictly relevant to the topic but it occurred to me when reading some santorum stuff.)

Divorce your wife while she's in the hospital with cancer? Perfectly fine. Two guys getting married? IT'S DESTROYING THE SACRED PRINCIPLES OF MARRIAGE
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1228 on: February 13, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »
I get that. But, you know, politicians say/do/blow anything to get a vote. Especially if there is money behind said vote. He's against heavy metal and blames most of societies problems on it, too. I do believe Santorum is an idiot of colossal magnitudes.

Theoretically, this is an insult to idiots.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1229 on: February 13, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »
I get that. But, you know, politicians say/do/blow anything to get a vote. Especially if there is money behind said vote. He's against heavy metal and blames most of societies problems on it, too. I do believe Santorum is an idiot of colossal magnitudes.

Theoretically, this is an insult to idiots.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1230 on: February 13, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »
I was just looking at the polls, man what a disaster. :lol Just about every state has a different guy leading (except RP who trailed in all).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1231 on: February 13, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
I was just looking at the polls, man what a disaster. :lol Just about every state has a different guy leading (except RP who trailed in all).

rumborak
Ehh, it was a good run ( :facepalm: ).

There's always 2016. :sadpanda:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1232 on: February 14, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »

rumborak

Isn't that the same line Newt fans have been saying for 15 years?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1233 on: February 14, 2012, 07:52:08 AM »
For RP time is working against him also. He's in his late 70s now, he would be 80s in 2016. If you look at how quickly presidents age when in office (GWB and Obama), RP wouldn't survive the first year.

rumborak

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1234 on: February 14, 2012, 08:16:18 AM »
Hey, if the revolution is inevitable...
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: February 14, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »
The age factor is quite determinant, that's true. But I don't know, seeing how good Ron Paul's health is I think his first term would be a breeze. Now, if you are talking about a reelection, he wouldn't make it.

Offline TL

« Reply #1236 on: February 14, 2012, 09:08:48 AM »
It will be interesting to see if Paul is actually able to pull off the delegate ploy his campaign is attempting. Basically, by exploiting the incredibly convoluted way caucus states choose their delegates, his campaign could technically get most of the caucus delegates even if he never wins any states. His campaign is being completely up front about it too.

Obviously even if he actually manages to get a majority that way, the GOP will never allow him to be their nominee, but it would be really fun to see what happened under those circumstances.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1237 on: February 14, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »
I think it also says something about the movement itself that they wholly embrace this way of achieving power. I mean, they're completely willing to ignore the public will with this. And if you look at the RP forums (admittedly, this will have the most extreme), for them the American public are mindless mongrels who best have the power wrestled from them.

rumborak

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: February 14, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »

rumborak

Ron Paul will be 77 in August of 2012, which means he'll be 80 years old when the 2016 campaign gets rolling.  Bottom line:  He's done running for president.   

Offline jsem

« Reply #1239 on: February 14, 2012, 12:44:18 PM »
He's probably the healthiest of all the candidates. But it's his mind that is not a clear as it used to be say 25 years ago.

If he had that fire now, he'd pwn the entire field.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1240 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
He's probably the healthiest of all the candidates.

He is remarkably healthy for a man his age. Whether he is healthier than say Romney or Santorum, that I would find highly doubtful.

But it's his mind that is not a clear as it used to be say 25 years ago.

If he had that fire now, he'd pwn the entire field.

I think that's really the elephant in the room. I have seen older footage of him and he was indeed a force to be reckoned with. But these days I think things aren't as sharp as they used to be.

rumborak

Offline jsem

« Reply #1241 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »
Yup, it's sad. The ideas hadn't really caught up to the mainstream back in 1988.

I'd probably say he'd win a 20 mile bike ride in the heat of Texas vs. all of the other candidates though. Obviously, Newt would collapse, but I don't think Santorum and Romney exercise regularly like Paul does.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1242 on: February 14, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
Yup, it's sad. The ideas hadn't really caught up to the mainstream back in 1988.

I dunno dude, this sounds as if "the world wasn't ready" or something for RP's messages.
IMHO, the reason why RP enjoys the current popularity is because people turn to extreme solutions in bad times. I would say that once the economy starts showing solid progress, support for RP's stuff will dwindle again.

rumborak

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1243 on: February 14, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »
That's been my thought this whole time as well. The solution sounds good because it's conceptually simple but at the end of the day it just sounds so radical, in the sort of way that has unintended side-effects.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1244 on: February 14, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
I hate, hate, hate to make this comparison, but Germany in the 1930s is the perfect comparison. Germany was down in the dumps, and Hitler provided simple scapegoats for the population to cling on to. The whole" the Fed is the cause of all evil" is not very different.

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: February 14, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »
eeeeeh, yes it is very different.

IMHO, the reason why RP enjoys the current popularity is because people turn to extreme solutions in bad times. I would say that once the economy starts showing solid progress, support for RP's stuff will dwindle again.
four years and counting.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1246 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

Is it? Mind you, I am not equation the *consequences*.

The theory that the Fed has been the cause of economic woes is simplistic, and long been shown to be wrong by Economists. But, it is a perfect scapegoat for people wanting to get out of the economic crisis.
Libertarians have a desire for a "Revolution", and frankly, that's what Germans wanted in the 1930s. They too jumped on simplistic explanations of economic decline.
I also have to say, what I've seen on RP forums, they're not full of people with deep understandings of economics. All they do is regurgitate mantras they've been fed.

rumborak
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:12:26 PM by rumborak »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1247 on: February 14, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
four years and counting.

Well the moment you've been waiting for has finally arrived, and the economy is actually improving.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1248 on: February 15, 2012, 05:42:27 AM »

Is it? Mind you, I am not equation the *consequences*.

The theory that the Fed has been the cause of economic woes is simplistic, and long been shown to be wrong by Economists. But, it is a perfect scapegoat for people wanting to get out of the economic crisis.
Libertarians have a desire for a "Revolution", and frankly, that's what Germans wanted in the 1930s. They too jumped on simplistic explanations of economic decline.
I also have to say, what I've seen on RP forums, they're not full of people with deep understandings of economics. All they do is regurgitate mantras they've been fed.

rumborak
For every economist, there's another with different data to show his point.

It's true that every RP fan doesn't know about the ABCT, and they ought to learn though. That's what his entire mission is about, changing the hearts and minds of people to change the world from the bottom up.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: February 15, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »

four years and counting.

Four years and counting what?  We've had 23 consecutive months of job growth coming on the heels of the worst recession in a generation. 

I'm sorry, you were saying...what?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1250 on: February 16, 2012, 08:39:58 AM »
I don't remember ever seeing such a diverse group of fucktard candidates.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1251 on: February 16, 2012, 09:39:50 AM »
And in other news, Dave Mustaine endorses Rick Santorum. WTF.

rumborak

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1252 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
Not that he needed another nail in his coffin of irrelevancy, but wow :lol

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: February 16, 2012, 09:45:02 AM »
And in other news, Dave Mustaine endorses Rick Santorum. WTF.

rumborak
He claims he didn't actually endorse him:

https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169854

I don't know how "I'm hoping that if it does come down to it, we'll see a Republican in the White House... and that it's Rick Santorum."" is anything other than an endorsement though.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1254 on: February 19, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yn-eejMcmuA

tl;dr: Santorum says that people in the netherlands wear 'do not euthanize' bracelets, that 50% of those euthanized in the Netherlands are done so against their will, that 10% of all deaths there are from euthanasia, and that the elderly refuse to go to the hospital for fear that they'll be euthanized rather than treated.

I can't decide whether the guy is simply stupid or whether he just has no problem making shit up.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1255 on: February 19, 2012, 06:05:39 PM »
As a moderate Republican you somewhat have to stick to the facts. As a core Republican you can just make up shit.

rumborak
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:56:22 PM by rumborak »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1256 on: February 19, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
As a moderate Republican you somewhat have to stick to the facts. As a core Republican you can just make up shit.

rumborak

rumborak

Double signed for truth.

Super Dude

Super Dude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1257 on: February 19, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »
That's what happens when you edit with a smartphone :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1258 on: February 19, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yn-eejMcmuA

tl;dr: Santorum says that people in the netherlands wear 'do not euthanize' bracelets, that 50% of those euthanized in the Netherlands are done so against their will, that 10% of all deaths there are from euthanasia, and that the elderly refuse to go to the hospital for fear that they'll be euthanized rather than treated.

I can't decide whether the guy is simply stupid or whether he just has no problem making shit up.
Christ.  That's insane.   :rollin

Honestly, I expect candidates to make shit up at will.  What's annoying to me is a moderator who sits there and nods on queue, and an audience who ooh's and ah's like it's automatically true because that ass-hat said it.  These are the people who actually vote in this country! 

As for Frothy here, he's just doing what a lot of weak candidates do.  These nimrods hear something and latch onto it without bothering to fact-check it, or even stop to think about it rationally for a second or two.  A stupid person hears a statistic like 5% of the population is being killed in some Soylent green style weirdness, and his first inclination is to embellish and exploit it rather, than verify it. 

This begs a fascinating question.  Does doing research and telling the truth actually help you anymore?  Why bother when most people won't even notice?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #1259 on: February 19, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »
This begs a fascinating question.  Does doing research and telling the truth actually help you anymore?  Why bother when most people won't even notice?
Dealin' with this every day.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations