Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 707123 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Queensryche
« Reply #595 on: July 11, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
They are playing here next month at the Pageant, which I think holds 2-3K, but I suspect the promoter is overestimating them as a draw.  For shits and giggles, I just checked on tickets and balcony seats in the center section, which usually go fast for shows at that venue, are still available.  And tickets went on sale months ago. :lol :lol

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: July 11, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »
Aren't they already writing material for a follow-up album? I wonder how that's going for them. Do you think it's possible they realized how poorly-received this album would be, so they want to get another new one out within a year to save themselves?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #597 on: July 11, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
Heheh, I found this while searching for DTC chart position and sales numbers and found it amusing:

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159083

So after Geoff Tate made all that noise about Queensryche not really being a metal band, bla, bla, bla; Scott Rock is now trying to convince us that DTC is a metal record!  :facepalm:  Seriously, the severity to which these guys are increasingly detached from reality is starting to border on the psychotic.

I would rather listen to Lady GaGa than DTC. I gave it another go tonight and it's still crap, bar one or two songs that are ok. Just ok. And Katy Perry is more metal than this album.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #598 on: July 11, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »
Katy Perry is more metal than this album.

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
Almost 24 hours and no response.  I'm guessing he got as far as track #3 and just keeled over and died.

:lol Been held up at work, listening today.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #600 on: July 11, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
Aren't they already writing material for a follow-up album? I wonder how that's going for them. Do you think it's possible they realized how poorly-received this album would be, so they want to get another new one out within a year to save themselves?
They've been doing this "We have tons of other songs that didn't make the record" thing for a while.  I remember reading that when Q2K was released.  I think it was close to 20 other songs.  And at the time I remember thinking "You guys made 20 other songs that were WORSE than what ended up on the record?" But I really think since this has been come up several times with a few new releases that it is just BS.  And I honestly don't know what they think they are gaining by saying it.  You really should be talking about how great your new album is and promote that.  Not that you'll have another new album out soon.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #601 on: July 11, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »
I know there is a lot of dislike for HITNF but I really like the disk.  I remember people complaining it was too stripped down and not heavy enough but I'd bet all QR fans would kill for them to at least go back to that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #602 on: July 11, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »
I've always really liked it as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: July 11, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
I remember getting HITNF and Tonic - Lemon Parade and playing them daily for months on end.  I've never got the hate.  I guess it was the Metal community that was the driving force behind the hate.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline dongringo

« Reply #604 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:46 PM »
I know there is a lot of dislike for HITNF but I really like the disk.  I remember people complaining it was too stripped down and not heavy enough but I'd bet all QR fans would kill for them to at least go back to that.

I don't hate it, but I never really got into HITNF either. That being said, I'd take another HITNF over DTC any day.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline dongringo

« Reply #605 on: July 11, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »
Heheh, I found this while searching for DTC chart position and sales numbers and found it amusing:

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159083

So after Geoff Tate made all that noise about Queensryche not really being a metal band, bla, bla, bla; Scott Rock is now trying to convince us that DTC is a metal record!  :facepalm:  Seriously, the severity to which these guys are increasingly detached from reality is starting to border on the psychotic.

I would rather listen to Lady GaGa than DTC. I gave it another go tonight and it's still crap, bar one or two songs that are ok. Just ok. And Katy Perry is more metal than this album.

He also said that DTC is dark and heavy. I don't know what he's smoking, but I want some.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline dongringo

« Reply #606 on: July 11, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »
Some facts about first week album sales to compare D2C's meager 8,000 units and chart position of 70:

Seems like there is a lot of discussion about how much better other bands have done than QR with DTC, but without specific numbers. Here are some facts about recent releases, I've included a variety of bands in the prog metal/metal/rock world for comparison:

Iron Maiden "The Final Frontier" (2010):  63,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 4.

Dream Theater "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" (2009): 40,285 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 6.

Symphony X "Iconoclast" (2011): 7300 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 76.

Motley Crue "Saints of Los Angeles" (2008): 99,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 4.

Ratt "Infestation" (2010): 14,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 30.

Def Leppard "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" (2008): 55,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 5.

Megadeth "Endgame" (2010): 45,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 9.

Opeth "Watershed" 2008: no sales numbers, charted at # 23

I could go...but the bottom line is this shows how far Queensryche have sunk. They outsold a few of the bands on this list in 1990 - 1994. To only move 8K copies, 1/2 of what Ratt did last year is truly pathetic.

But as Scott said, they only put out new records to promote the tour. How's that going? Not too well, many of these bands are still in the arena's or large theaters while Queensryche plays hole in the wall venues these days.

Good thing that Geoff doesn't care about album sales.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #607 on: July 11, 2011, 06:20:59 PM »
Some facts about first week album sales to compare D2C's meager 8,000 units and chart position of 70:

Seems like there is a lot of discussion about how much better other bands have done than QR with DTC, but without specific numbers. Here are some facts about recent releases, I've included a variety of bands in the prog metal/metal/rock world for comparison:

Iron Maiden "The Final Frontier" (2010):  63,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 4.

Dream Theater "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" (2009): 40,285 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 6.

Symphony X "Iconoclast" (2011): 7300 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 76.

Motley Crue "Saints of Los Angeles" (2008): 99,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 4.

Ratt "Infestation" (2010): 14,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 30.

Def Leppard "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" (2008): 55,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 5.

Megadeth "Endgame" (2010): 45,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 9.

Opeth "Watershed" 2008: no sales numbers, charted at # 23

I could go...but the bottom line is this shows how far Queensryche have sunk. They outsold a few of the bands on this list in 1990 - 1994. To only move 8K copies, 1/2 of what Ratt did last year is truly pathetic.

But as Scott said, they only put out new records to promote the tour. How's that going? Not too well, many of these bands are still in the arena's or large theaters while Queensryche plays hole in the wall venues these days.

Good thing that Geoff doesn't care about album sales.  ;)

I bet he's gonna reaaaaally go all-out on the next album. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: July 11, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
I remember getting HITNF and Tonic - Lemon Parade and playing them daily for months on end.  I've never got the hate.  I guess it was the Metal community that was the driving force behind the hate.

2 amazing albums right there.  Lemon Parade was killer.

I've listened to DTC once.  :| I am resersving my judgement for another 2 listens and then will review.....Hmmm.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: July 12, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HcG4oY3jf4

Seriously, this is what the band wanted to keep secret from public to ensure only people who have purchased the album can view it? Pffft!

Offline dongringo

« Reply #610 on: July 12, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »
So wolf, did you get your $20 worth?  :lol
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #611 on: July 12, 2011, 07:43:48 AM »
Yeah, how was that big noize?  Hotspot junkies across the world want you to get started with your opinions, regarding DTC.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: July 12, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »

2 amazing albums right there.  Lemon Parade was killer.

Lemon Parade is still such a strong album to this day.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #613 on: July 12, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »
Oh Geoff Tate.  What will you (or your wife) think of next?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: July 12, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
Nick probably already bought his ticket.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #615 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Oh Geoff Tate.  What will you (or your wife) think of next?

I love how he bills it as "Geoff Tate and members of Queensryche"

Roger Waters much?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #616 on: July 12, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »

Knock it off, PC.  For someone who says he wants to stay on this forum, you sure seem to go out of your way to stay on my radar.

I love how he bills it as "Geoff Tate and members of Queensryche"

Roger Waters much?

I'm not defending Tate for any of his poor decisionmaking or display of ego, but what you posted really isn't a valid criticism.  Given that it's his wine, of course his name will be front and center.  And given that it is some members of Queensryche and not the whole band, how else exactly should they be listed in your mind?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: July 12, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #618 on: July 12, 2011, 08:29:26 AM »
Hmm... you kind of nailed me on that.  

If it is only logical in the context of the ad to highlight Geoff, maybe, uh, Queensryche, featuring Geoff Tate.  

I'll admit that my statements regarding Geoff have gotten rather unreasonable at times.  

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: July 12, 2011, 08:43:15 AM »

Knock it off, PC.  For someone who says he wants to stay on this forum, you sure seem to go out of your way to stay on my radar.

It's a joke. And Nick will understand that, because we joke about things on and off the forum regularly, and have been joking about this particular issue for awhile. Just like you and I once did, before you started assuming the worst in me for some reason  :sadpanda:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #620 on: July 12, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »
Hmm... you kind of nailed me on that. 

If it is only logical in the context of the ad to highlight Geoff, maybe, uh, Queensryche, featuring Geoff Tate. 

I'll admit that my statements regarding Geoff have gotten rather unreasonable at times. 

Well, in fairness, he makes himself an easy target.  I dunno.  If everything else were right in the QR universe, I would have no problem with the QR name on the bill.  I mean, if John Petrucci were suddenly a wine enthusiast, and he was putting on a promotion at a local winery and some of the DT guys decided to join in, I wouldn't have a problem mentioning that fact.  It's like, "Oh, some of JP's buddies from the band are coming out to support him, and throwing the DT name out there will boost the exposure a bit, so its a win all the way around."  It just seems more offensive for QR to do it because they have gone so far in whoring out the name and bastardizing the Queensryche "brand." 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: July 12, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
I love how joking about someone supporting Queensryche has become a bannable offense. :rollin

And yeah Bosk, I know that's not what you meant by it, but it was funny.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: July 12, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
I love how joking about someone supporting Queensryche has become a bannable offense. :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #623 on: July 12, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »
:ironic:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: July 12, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »
After listening to this record a couple of times, I have very mixed feelings.  I do have some good things to say about it, but also, a lot of negative.  I feel I actually have a lot to say in general regarding this album. I am gonna write a full review probably on Thursday or Friday when I get a full free hour.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #625 on: July 12, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »
The new album has 138 reviews and an average of 2 stars on Amazon.

Can't say I'm too surprised.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: July 12, 2011, 06:42:29 PM »
The new album has 138 reviews and an average of 2 stars on Amazon.

Can't say I'm too surprised.

Yeah, there's also a group of people going around trolling some of the negative reviews. Tis funny  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: July 12, 2011, 06:46:24 PM »
I honestly think that 2 stars is being very generous.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #628 on: July 12, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »
As of right now, it's the second-lowest rated QR on Progarchives, with a 2.37.

The lowest rated by them on the site is Q2K, with a 2.04.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: July 12, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »
Wow... Walla Walla? Lots of nice wineries out there, but damn if that couldn't be farther away from any major metropolitan area.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'