Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 683476 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Queensryche
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
np: Queensryche - THE WARNING (in original track order, which sounds AMAZING). Get with the program, bosk1

Yeah, I need to bring it to work and load it into my iTunes here so I can do that.  But I'm now listening to Snowfall on Judgment Day, so you can't really fault me too much.

Bosk, to your point about how NM 156 may not have given the correct first impression of what Queensryche was, or what the rest of Warning was.. They pulled a similar trick by starting Rage For Order off with Walk In The Shadows...which at first felt like Rage would be a continuation of Warning, but then of course, I Dream In Infrared starts, and you just knew this was gonna be different.

Yeah, good point.  And I'm not arguing that the band's intended sequencing isn't better.  I really think that could have been really cool.  I'm just saying a lot of people (myself likely included, at that point in time) might not have gotten it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »
Interesting perspective. Weird for me. I wasn't on the QR train until Rage. When I went back and got The Warning, the song "Warning" started it off on a bland foot for me, and while obviously I grew to enjoy and love many of the songs, the first track just started it all wrong.

But I think you (El Barto) and TAC are also six or seven years older than I am. So when I first heard QR in 1987, I was 11. I heard "Warning" for the first time in 1990, since I only had Rage and Mindcrime until Empire, and then bought the rest of the catalog. In 1990, I was already exposed to Mindcrime, Empire and Rage, and I guess my brain couldn't wrap itself around QR sounding like the song "Warning" by then. Just an odd way for listening, I suppose.

It was weird, I was a hardcore QR fan, but only had Rage and Mindcrime (and then Empire). As a kid, it didn't even occur to me to go back and get The Warning and the EP until 1990, even though I was a fan since 1987.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »
Sam, one of the things I love about this forum..or any other I guess.. is hearing the different perspectives of fans, especially as it relates to how or when they became fans of a certain band. Especially the phenomenon of the "my favorite album is the one I got into them with" which I think has complete credibility.
The experience of watching a band evolve is quite different than the dynamic of "going back" through a band's discography, and I love the contrast that this presents.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
Absolutely. I mean, I "progressed" with them, starting from Rage, but eventually had to backtrack a bit to Warning and the EP. But it does change your perspective as a fan. It's like how I guess I can understand where PC was coming from better thinking of QR in this context. The only difference is, while my first album from QR was Rage, I really didn't expect to hear Rage on Mindcrime, nor did I expect to hear Mindcrime on Empire. The only time I sorta expected a similar sound was on Promised Land (thinking we'd get another Empire-ish record), and that record took me a little bit to "get." But once I did, I was back on track with the evolution (although HITNF was most certainly another huge curve ball).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
Unless your AC/DC and have only 2 distinct styles(Bluesy rock and stadium rock), most bandst hat have longevity have multiple styles over the years and are influenced by the times they are in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »
Sam, how exactly did you get turned on to Queensryche?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
Sam, how exactly did you get turned on to Queensryche?

1987. Had first discovered Fifth Angel through my friends Wayne & Jeff's older brother. He had the tape, and man, that band just hit me hard. Well, a couple of weeks later, the same older brother attended the February 13, 14, 1987 Queensryche headline shows at L'Amour in NYC. He bought Rage for Order, brought it home, and we all dubbed copies of it.

So I started listening to that (along with that Fifth Angel tape) religiously, particularly the summer of 1987. Started touting QR that Fall in school, no one had heard of them. It was all the hair metal stuff at that point. bon jovi, cinderella, poison, etc., that people were into.

Fast forward to 1988. Kept pushing QR on friends and schoolmates. Got made fun of by many, saying Def Leppard owned and was better than them. LOL. Then Operation: Mindcrime came out. Up to that point, I still liked Fifth Angel more, but Mindcrime blew me away. Then the video on MTV for Eyes of a Stranger in 1989...I remember a buddy opening his door, yelling at me down the block it was coming on MTV, and me running up to his house to go check it out. So Mindcrime and then finally the video for Eyes cemented the original Queensryche as my all time fav. Been a hard core ever since. And those same people came back to me and told me how right I was, how awesome Queensryche was. Heh. Vindication.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »
Cool. Thanks.
Mindcrime was an amazing release for sure. They really blew me away, considering how not into Rage that I was.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »
Interesting. I got into Queensryche thinking they were Savatage. A friend had misplaced his tapes and gave them both to me to check out. For a few days I thought Streets was actually Mindcrime and the other way around.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
Funny story...

I believe in late 1987, one of my friends told me Queensryche had released its new album, and began playing this guitar-heavy record. The singer came on, and he sounded ALMOST just like Geoff Tate. I was diggin' it, but didn't quite buy that it was Queensryche.

They had me going for a song or two, and then I said "no, no way, it's close, but that's not Queensryche." Turns out it was another TAC favorite - Helloween...specifically, Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. 1. Another good album.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »

They had me going for a song or two, and then I said "no, no way, it's close, but that's not Queensryche." Turns out it was another TAC favorite - Helloween...specifically, Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. 1. Another good album.
Damn right!!!! One of the 10 most influential albums of my musical life.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »
I remember how awesome the mix-mash of "Screaming in Digital" and "NM-156" was on the PL tour.  Those are probably my two favorite songs from those two records, although I dig "I Dream in Infrared," "The Whisper" and "The Killing Words" all a lot, as well. 

I never saw "Walk in the Shadows" as one of their top songs, so I am surprised that many would put it that high.  Good song for sure, but it has never struck me as a top tier QR tune. 

"Roads to Madness" has still never quite hit me in that sweet spot; I might need to give that one a few more shots.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3EtzEA7C0s

Still nothing? Weird. RtM has been among my favourite QR songs ever since I first heard it. I'd probably kill if it would make Tate sing like that and QR to compose songs like that again.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »
I remember how awesome the mix-mash of "Screaming in Digital" and "NM-156" was on the PL tour.  Those are probably my two favorite songs from those two records, although I dig "I Dream in Infrared," "The Whisper" and "The Killing Words" all a lot, as well. 

I never saw "Walk in the Shadows" as one of their top songs, so I am surprised that many would put it that high.  Good song for sure, but it has never struck me as a top tier QR tune. 

"Roads to Madness" has still never quite hit me in that sweet spot; I might need to give that one a few more shots.

I loved that live mash-up of the tunes as well, but the only drawback for me was...they stopped both songs before the solos. LOL. Would have preferred they played them entirely. Since one is a psuedo-sequel to another. NM 156 is my absolute fav from Warning and SiD is my top from RFO as well. Weird on Walk in the Shadows. I love that tune. Probably #2 on RFO.

Roads as well? Wow. That tune is probably #3 for me on The Warning, after NM 156 and Take Hold.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:15 AM »
Been listening to some QR recently, so I will give "Roads to Madness" a few more tries.  I think the problem with it before was that I was never that wild about the two songs after "Take Hold...," so by the time I got to RtM, I had lost interest, and was already thinking about what I was gonna listen to next.  I'll give it more attention this time around.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
In a bit of a melancholy mood, so I've been listening to Promised Land (the album) today. Man, the title track and Damaged are just overwhelmingly powerful and emotional. Pure, classic Queensryche.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2010, 09:34:47 AM »
"Promised Land" might very well be my favorite QR song (although "Anybody Listening?" and "Suite Sister Mary" are right there with it), and "Damaged" still holds the title of the first song I ever got a speeding ticket to. :lol
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:49:48 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »
"Promised Land" might very well be my favorite QR song, and "Damaged" still holds the title of the first song I ever got a speeding ticket to. :lol

:metal

Two of my all-time QR favorites, and clearly tops on that record in particular. In mixes I've done over the years, I usually start them off:

NM 156 > Screaming in Digital > Damaged

Damaged flows incredibly well after SiD...and if you think about it, that three-song suite is a mini-concept.  NUGGETZZZZ!   :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
PL is my favorite track on that album.  I like Damaged a lot, but to me, I Am I barely edges it out for second place on that album.  Not as heavy as Damaged, but still heavy enough and the frantic atmosphere is amazing.  I just wish Geoff wouldn't lipsync the end of it live.  Dude, we all knew 16 years ago that you weren't really singing it.  Why do you think we'd be fooled into thinking you are after all this time?  Just find a new way to end it when you play it live!  :rant:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2010, 11:48:02 AM »
I probably prefer "Lady Jane" (always a favorite of mine) and "Out of Mind" as my 2nd and 3rd favorites, but it goes without saying that "I Am I" and "Damaged" are awesome, as well.  :tup :tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »
PL is my favorite track on that album.  I like Damaged a lot, but to me, I Am I barely edges it out for second place on that album.  Not as heavy as Damaged, but still heavy enough and the frantic atmosphere is amazing.  I just wish Geoff wouldn't lipsync the end of it live.  Dude, we all knew 16 years ago that you weren't really singing it.  Why do you think we'd be fooled into thinking you are after all this time?  Just find a new way to end it when you play it live!  :rant:
I always found the illusion that Eddie Jackson sings live quite annoying.  According to what you hear from the audience, that guys a better singer than Tate. 

Listening to PL (the song) now.  Pretty much forgotten that it existed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
Eddie actually is a good singer and I believe he actually does sing live whenever it looks like he is singing.  It just may sound a bit fake because they are also piping in harmonies.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »
I suspect he sings kind of like Roger Waters sings in concert.  About 8% him and 92% prerecorded.  I've spent a lot of time at several concerts trying to discern the various background vocals, and I've never been able to hear him sing. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
Eddie Jackson is a GREAT singer. I saw him soundcheck, and he sang lead vocals. Huge range. Huge. The reason why he doesn't sing more is, he has pitch problems. And he does sing background vox on almost all songs. He's just lower in the mix. But make no mistake, he can sing well. That soundcheck was really cool. I forget what song it was (it wasn't QR material), but he rocked it. It was during the QR/DT/FW in 2003 when I saw him do it. Concord, CA show, as a matter of fact.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »
I never assumed he couldn't sing, and I'm glad to hear that he's actually quite good.  I wish they'd let him.  I will always prefer less than perfect vocals to canned, and it sounds to me like he'd do pretty well. 

I'd love to have seen that sound check.  I've seen a few, and often times that's better than the real show later that night.  There's a fun, looseness that often gets left behind when there's a real audience. 
E.F. Benson

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »
Listening to PL (album) now and remembered that several years ago when I applied to seminary the title of my entrance essay was I Am I: Portrait of the Seminary Student as a Young Man, a subtle nod to Queensryche that was appreciated by no one except for me.  A literary allusion present there as well, but I guess I'll pop on over to the James Joyce forum to discuss that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2010, 05:59:55 AM »
Eddie Jackson is a GREAT singer. I saw him soundcheck, and he sang lead vocals. Huge range. Huge. The reason why he doesn't sing more is, he has pitch problems. And he does sing background vox on almost all songs. He's just lower in the mix. But make no mistake, he can sing well.
I don't think anyone would pick up on any pitch problems during a live (hard) rock concert. I'd much rather have a back up singing bass player slightly off key than perfect piped in backing vocals.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2010, 06:28:56 AM »
Listening to PL (album) now and remembered that several years ago when I applied to seminary the title of my entrance essay was I Am I: Portrait of the Seminary Student as a Young Man, a subtle nod to Queensryche that was appreciated by no one except for me.  A literary allusion present there as well, but I guess I'll pop on over to the James Joyce forum to discuss that.

There's got to be room in the internetz for some Joyce/QR memes.

You're in the seminary?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »

There's got to be room in the internetz for some Joyce/QR memes.

You're in the seminary?
I used to be.  I did about 2 years in seminary, but for a variety of reasons never finished.  So I'm in grad school now to get a teaching certificate and teach high school English. 

Searched for QR/Joyce memes but to no avail.  I guess I'll have to come up with one myself.  I'm thinking I'll use DeGarmo's Wake as a title to whatever I design.  It's gonna be a massive viral hit  :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »
I never assumed he couldn't sing, and I'm glad to hear that he's actually quite good.  I wish they'd let him.  I will always prefer less than perfect vocals to canned, and it sounds to me like he'd do pretty well. 

I'd love to have seen that sound check.  I've seen a few, and often times that's better than the real show later that night.  There's a fun, looseness that often gets left behind when there's a real audience. 

Agreed on soundcheck. Back in 2003, playing the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island, they pulled out Anybody Listening and a bunch of other songs they weren't playing that night, and you could tell they were just having fun.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2010, 11:12:10 AM »

Agreed on soundcheck. Back in 2003, playing the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island, they pulled out Anybody Listening and a bunch of other songs they weren't playing that night, and you could tell they were just having fun.
I got to hear Yngwie soundcheck one day.  It was 15 minutes of the self-indulgent wankery you'd naturally expect, but since the guy really can play, and the band was jamming along with him, it was a real treat. 
E.F. Benson

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »
I'd say Take Hold of the Flame and Walk in the Shadows would generally be the top 2.

One vote of disagreement here with regards to Walk in the Shadows - I find it a fairly bland song (for QR, which makes it #1 for any other band). :) My top 10 is (currently):

Screaming in Digital
Damaged
Anybody Listening?
The Needle Lies
The Thin Line
Take Hold of the Flame
sp00L
Breaking the Silence
Dead Man's Words
Disconnected
EDIT: Suite Sister Mary (whoops)

Changes a lot though.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:03:12 PM by energythief »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »
It would be hard for me to make a top 10, as I would be so inclined to put mostly PL songs and then "Anybody Listening?," "Suite Sister Mary" and maybe one or two others, so I will take this opportunity to point out how great and underrated "Della Brown" is.  Empire is loaded with songs that were popular hits, but for my money, "Della Brown" is a top 3 song on that record.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
I never got why QR fans didn't like Della Brown that much. I think it's an amazing song, one of their best too. Lady Jane as well. Fuck, this band was so amazing up until PL, I have hard time not choosing any of their songs for a top 10 list.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »
My personal top 2 are Chemical Youth and Prophecy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1