Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 707136 times)

Online Dream Team

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #6475 on: May 09, 2024, 09:55:13 AM »
agreed...  IMO they should leave the old albums alone as its feels icky to try to recapture that magic also IMO it sounded nothing like 1982,

* if a band has all its members somehow after 40 years and as a full band they want to do the old stuff completely Id be more inclined to see them REDO the songs as they would know it would sound different , but to just try to recapture that old sound with say less than half the original members and without the original voice IMO is just nonsense especially in todays world where you can youtube the old shows and enjoy the original old shows...(.I hope I made sense LOL)

One thing unfortunately about old shows is that they are all pretty much terrible quality if it's not an official release.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6476 on: May 09, 2024, 10:03:58 AM »
One thing unfortunately about old shows is that they are all pretty much terrible quality if it's not an official release.

thats very true.. good observation !!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6477 on: May 09, 2024, 10:11:04 AM »
I didn't attend the Origins tour. I was thinking about it, as The Warning (in its intended order) is my second favorite QR album to Mindcrime. But I watched a few clips, and something really bothered me.

For the lead vocals, on every high glory note, it appears La Torre hits them, but there is delay on all of them to extend those notes out. I don't know if the singer triggers that on the mic, or if it is done at the soundboard, but you can tell watching every video. It's on almost every single high note that is supposed to be held. A buddy of mine was at M3, and was close, and he texted me that those held notes are just an effect. La Torre's not holding them at all. That really bummed me out. I'm sure it's saving his voice, but man, come on.

So I don't regret skipping this at all. I know effects and trickery are all a part of things now, and I'm sure Tate is doing something too to help the performance, but to me...it just seems so inauthentic. I'm glad people are having fun. That's what it's all about. But I fell in love with music because of the talent, not because of the "show."

John Bush of Armored Saint isn't using delay to hit notes. Just sayin'.  :metal

I agree
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6478 on: May 09, 2024, 10:59:20 AM »

Not true. Yes, there are some bad ones. But trust me, there are many pristine recordings, even from as far back as 1984. The Harpo's show comes to mind from back then, A couple gigs from Europe, one or two from Japan. And there were some good ones in 1985 too. They just aren't as commonly known by people.

Regarding the band's situation, DeGarmo, etc.:

Queensryche, more than most bands, was very much a total sum of its parts. Each of those guys brings/brought something irreplaceable to the band. Scott Rockenfield's drums are VERY noticeably missing. Casey Grillo does a fabulous job -- but he doesn't play those songs or have the same feel as Scott did. You can tell something is "off" even if it is well performed.

Chris' role in QR - TAC, imo, is wrong. Chris was very much responsible for the band's musical growth. He also did a lot of song arrangement. Take a look at the songs that Michael wrote in the original lineup. The ones that are credited solely to Wilton (just Deliverance) or by Wilton/Tate (which there are more). There is one thing that many people gloss over. The arrangements are very straightforward and simple. Damn good riffs, great songs, but a pretty basic arrangement.

Then look at all the songs Chris was involved in, particularly the ones where it is DeGarmo/Tate/Wilton. Notice anything? Usually, the arrangements are more complex and interesting. Take "Roads to Madness." Michael just explained how that song was wrote the other day on The Metal Voice. He had the first part of the song. Chris then came in and did that whole killer outro section that starts at the 6:45 mark and goes through the end at 9:54. The part that takes the song to another level.

Those contributions from Chris, and then his own songs that he wrote, really took Queensrÿche to a different plane of existence. He was able to really be a muse to grab Tate's attention and inspire Tate to deliver some of those iconic performances.

Here's something in my new book. In it, I talk to the band's first roadie, Davey Morris. He was at The Dungeon (Scott Rockenfield's parents' basement) where the band was rehearsing. He was in the room when Chris explained "Take Hold of the Flame," and tells Tate (paraphrasing) "I hear you doing this lead into a statement note." So Chris basically guided Tate into one of his most signature moments. ANd Chris did that on a lot of the vocals -- working with Tate to try different approaches.

Chris' impact was much, much more than JUST a songwriter. He was the guy that made the music different. That made it interesting and adventurous. His loss has never been overcome.

Then Tate. An iconic talent. One that was spoken of in the same breath as the greats in rock. And in some ways, more talented. He was never the same after Chris left either. But his voice still had this deep resonance and character that was never replaced.

All five of them made Queensryche what it was. With just two of them now, and other guys in the band, they do a good job, and I like their new music. But it just isn't the same. People will ignore everything and say how great they are, and that's cool. Enjoy what you enjoy. But it's not the same.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6479 on: May 09, 2024, 12:55:55 PM »
The Harpo's Show   it really is unreal and you feel the analog : )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkM5ertnXkU

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6480 on: May 09, 2024, 01:06:36 PM »
The Harpo's Show   it really is unreal and you feel the analog : )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkM5ertnXkU

And no delay or trickery on the high notes to make it sound better. This is WHAT THEY SOUNDED LIKE. lol. I can hear a little reverb I think. But that's Geoff, Chris, and Ed, all singing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6481 on: May 09, 2024, 04:04:55 PM »
And no delay or trickery on the high notes to make it sound better. This is WHAT THEY SOUNDED LIKE. lol. I can hear a little reverb I think. But that's Geoff, Chris, and Ed, all singing.

BINGO... I was there for 2 very early shows in I think 83, ( ep was out but Warning was dropping.. brain foggy ) it was beyond mind melting... I remember thinking this singer Geoff Tate will surpass my hero Rob Halford, Geoff  was from another world.. after that it was Scotts drumming that i thought was outstanding , I didnt know Chris was the leader at that time but he wasnt the show nor Wilton or Jackson .. they were good those 3 but not difference makers like Geoff and to me Scott

I really think its silly to ever try to recreate that REAL MAGIC...   I will remember hangin with Dee during part of one of the shows and hanging on those painted  fences they had  for the stage  and Dee just looking and he said to us "wow   these guys are fkn great "   TS was at their height and  ioved how Dee for as great as QR was he felt no threat as the crowd had basically no idea who QR was ,, the applause they got was just us being knocked out and going wild   it was true MAGIC
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 07:21:09 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #6482 on: May 09, 2024, 07:29:07 PM »
John Bush of Armored Saint isn't using delay to hit notes. Just sayin'.  :metal
Unfortunately, Armored Saint had to cancel a few shows over the weekend because of John's vocal problems, too.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6483 on: May 10, 2024, 11:34:34 AM »
Yeah, that's a bummer, but that's not about vocal strength or quality and relying on tech to help. John picked up a bug. It happens.

The Origins tour has been pretty well received. Which is good. Because while I am not privy to the details, but I am guessing whatever settlement they reached with Rockenfield involved cash. And this tour has brought out the old school metal crowd.

Personally, I really do feel that the current QR should be a 70/30 split of material, with the majority being stuff from the TLT era. If you're doing 16 songs, well, it's not that hard to make 11 or 12 of those the stuff they've recorded the past 11 years. And the older hits put in there to appease those who want to hear them.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6484 on: May 10, 2024, 02:47:53 PM »
I considered going, really just to see Armored Saint. Warning is one of my favorite all time albums but I had zero interest in it. Not a fan of original bands playing 40 year old albums in full, so a Queensryche cover band doing it is even less interesting.

That took balls to say but as much I enjoyed the show it truly is a cover band. And Tate back in the day owned those songs. Todd is Karaoke Tate.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6485 on: May 11, 2024, 12:26:45 AM »
Unfortunately, Armored Saint had to cancel a few shows over the weekend because of John's vocal problems, too.

Yeah, and on the last tour with WASP, he had to miss some shows as well.

Personally, I really do feel that the current QR should be a 70/30 split of material, with the majority being stuff from the TLT era. If you're doing 16 songs, well, it's not that hard to make 11 or 12 of those the stuff they've recorded the past 11 years. And the older hits put in there to appease those who want to hear them.

It's tricky. I feel bad that they're in a pickle like that. Play new stuff to nobody, or play 40 year old albums to fogeys trying to relive their youth.

Chris' role in QR - TAC, imo, is wrong.

Hmm.. I'm not avoiding responding, but I may not be able to do it for at least another week. We'll see.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6486 on: May 11, 2024, 06:13:37 PM »
The Origins tour has been pretty well received. Which is good. And this tour has brought out the old school metal crowd.

Saw the Keswick show on May 1 and I thought it was fantastic! :metal

Online Dream Team

« Reply #6487 on: May 12, 2024, 06:26:18 AM »
Well, I see you guys feel strongly about this. I don’t know. The TLT albums are all better than anything the Tate lineup put out post-Empire where he just wanted to croon over wimpy “dad rock” as they call it and flush everything that made QR special. Plus I dislike Tate as a human. People seem to have no trouble still supporting Priest with only 2 original members left who perform live; maybe it’s simply because the singer is the same. I think it’s awesome QR is out there doing this embracing the early stuff so we can agree to disagree  :tup.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6488 on: May 12, 2024, 10:50:55 AM »
Well, I see you guys feel strongly about this. I don’t know. The TLT albums are all better than anything the Tate lineup put out post-Empire

I agree 100%.

People seem to have no trouble still supporting Priest with only 2 original members left who perform live; maybe it’s simply because the singer is the same.

I love the albums but I’m personally not supporting it live. But I will say that having Halford performing is a huge difference.

Saying I don’t t support it is a tad stronger than my intent. I meant to say that I’m not likely to go see them live.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 03:49:03 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6489 on: May 13, 2024, 12:14:07 PM »
All I could think at the show was remembering seeing them twice on The Warning tour and knowing that's all the music they had to offer. That said, it was a great show and I appreciate the fact they're even doing this!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6490 on: May 13, 2024, 12:42:21 PM »
All I could think at the show was remembering seeing them twice on The Warning tour and knowing that's all the music they had to offer. That said, it was a great show and I appreciate the fact they're even doing this!  :metal

I remember the tour. They opened for Kiss in Worcester, but I wasn't old enough to be going to shows yet. I wouldn't see them until the O:M tour opening for Def Leppard, and then three more times opening for Metallica.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6491 on: May 13, 2024, 12:45:53 PM »
I remember the tour. They opened for Kiss in Worcester, but I wasn't old enough to be going to shows yet. I wouldn't see them until the O:M tour opening for Def Leppard, and then three more times opening for Metallica.

My Aunt took me twice on the tour. I think it was Animalize.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6492 on: May 13, 2024, 12:48:26 PM »
My Aunt took me twice on the tour. I think it was Animalize.

Yes, and Accept opened in Worcester on the Lick It Up tour. I WAS paying attention as a young metal fan. I remember the nights of both concerts daydreaming about what it must be like.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6493 on: May 13, 2024, 12:55:59 PM »
Yes, and Accept opened in Worcester on the Lick It Up tour. I WAS paying attention as a young metal fan. I remember the nights of both concerts daydreaming about what it must be like.

Should've had Aunt Donna pick you up for these! Damn it!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6494 on: May 13, 2024, 01:01:50 PM »
Should've had Aunt Donna pick you up for these! Damn it!!

We would've been rocking out!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6495 on: May 13, 2024, 01:07:54 PM »

We would've been rocking out!

Haha! Absolutely!!! I remember when The Warning came out they had had a Take Hold Of The Flame contest on Fingers Metal Shop radio show and I'm sure others, that if you won it they would pay for your heating bill for a month! Anyone else remember that? Wish I won because I could've thrown that in my parents face that metal does good things other than the music!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6496 on: May 13, 2024, 01:25:00 PM »
Haha! Absolutely!!! I remember when The Warning came out they had had a Take Hold Of The Flame contest on Fingers Metal Shop radio show and I'm sure others, that if you won it they would pay for your heating bill for a month! Anyone else remember that? Wish I won because I could've thrown that in my parents face that metal does good things other than the music!  :metal

Doug Frye on 94 WHJY in Providence started a Metal Hour at 11:00 pm on Saturday nights. It was here that I first heard Queen Of The Riech. I was blown away. It expanded to a two hour show, and eventually had The Metal Shop as its second hour. This was essential listening for me as a kid.

Doug Frye was eventually succeeded by Dr. Metal, who is in notable as being listed in the liner notes for I&W, but he was tragically killed in the The Station nightclub fire.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6497 on: May 13, 2024, 01:43:58 PM »
Doug Frye on 94 WHJY in Providence started a Metal Hour at 11:00 pm on Saturday nights. It was here that I first heard Queen Of The Riech. I was blown away. It expanded to a two hour show, and eventually had The Metal Shop as its second hour. This was essential listening for me as a kid.

Doug Frye was eventually succeeded by Dr. Metal, who is in notable as being listed in the liner notes for I&W, but he was tragically killed in the The Station nightclub fire.

That's awful! :(

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6498 on: May 14, 2024, 08:49:08 AM »

Fingers from WBAB?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6499 on: May 14, 2024, 09:05:32 AM »
I love how this thread title (kickstart the next album) has survived for ten years, when they went into the studio in 2014 to record Condition Human.....and they have released two additional albums after that one which were not kickstarted.

:lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6500 on: May 14, 2024, 11:53:54 AM »

Fingers from WBAB?

Yup! Fingers was great! I used to call in. I got to speak to Megadeth and Loudness, it was epic!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6501 on: May 14, 2024, 01:14:50 PM »
Yup! Fingers was great! I used to call in. I got to speak to Megadeth and Loudness, it was epic!

I think hes retiring soon?  or did he retire? one of my houses is out there and I enjoy BAB, although they play the same songs over and over..LOL   ( I partied with Loudness back in 83/84  fun guys although they knew very little english but they loved German Beer!! )

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6502 on: May 15, 2024, 12:29:38 PM »
I think hes retiring soon?  or did he retire? one of my houses is out there and I enjoy BAB, although they play the same songs over and over..LOL   ( I partied with Loudness back in 83/84  fun guys although they knew very little english but they loved German Beer!! )

Not sure if he retired, haven't listened since I was in my 20's. I'm curious now.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6503 on: May 15, 2024, 01:00:06 PM »
Not sure if he retired, haven't listened since I was in my 20's. I'm curious now.

i think he did just a few months ago   let me know if ya find out bro

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6504 on: May 15, 2024, 01:12:24 PM »

i think he did just a few months ago   let me know if ya find out bro

All I found was that he retired in December of 2021.   ???

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6505 on: May 15, 2024, 05:25:37 PM »
All I found was that he retired in December of 2021.   ???

thats not right  i heard him a few months ago but i think i heard he was retiring 

*  wow do i suck on time lately  lol   a few months ago was jan 2023 to me lol
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 05:35:06 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6506 on: May 15, 2024, 05:29:37 PM »
Keith Fingers, a veteran afternoon DJ and host of the heavy metal program Fingers Metal Shop on WBAB, retired in January 2023 after 40 years with the station. Fingers has been a fixture of Long Island's heavy metal club scene since the 1980s, and was the house DJ at Sundance in Bay Shore.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6507 on: May 16, 2024, 08:41:39 AM »
Keith Fingers, a veteran afternoon DJ and host of the heavy metal program Fingers Metal Shop on WBAB, retired in January 2023 after 40 years with the station. Fingers has been a fixture of Long Island's heavy metal club scene since the 1980s, and was the house DJ at Sundance in Bay Shore.

Man, so many memories from home. I listened to Fingers Metal Shop on 102.3 WBAB for God, so many years. I wasn't old enough to go to Sundance, but I listened to his show. I don't remember the various bands I heard, but one that stood out was an interview with Extreme for their first record. And Fingers played "Teacher's Pet," and I immediately went out and bought the cassette.

He was a big Queensryche supporter. I actually remember hearing, I think it was "I Don't Believe in Love" on there in 1988. If memory serves, Metal Shop was on either Saturday or Sunday night (I think it was Sunday)? I remember going to school and me and my fellow metalheads talked about listening. I had this boom box (like we all did) that was tucked on the side of the bed against the wall, and had headphones, and I always faked like I was sleeping and stayed up to listen to the show. I think it was an hour or so, if I remember right. At least it was when I listened back in the 1987-1990 timeframe.

But yeah, Sundance was THE place on Long Island in the 80s for metal. Zebra, Dream Theater, Manowar, GnR, Slayer, the list goes on and on. East Main Street in Bay Shore, if I remember right. I'd have to look up the address. Yeah, 217 East Main Street. South Shore University Hospital is right nearby now. I looked on Google Earth (I haven't been home in 20 years -- although I will be soon), and looks like the exact spot Sundance sat is under construction. Probably for a parking lot.  :tdwn

I really hope Fingers does some sort of memoir. Would love to hear the stories about Sundance and his time on the air for WBAB.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6508 on: May 16, 2024, 11:44:45 AM »
The Metal Shop that I was familiar with as a kid was the syndicated show hosted by Charlie Kendall.

Fingers Metal Shop has a Spotify page. Looks like some sort of podcast..
https://open.spotify.com/show/0vNl1s6Q5IsT8oFq9RHLOA?si=e64ff0a40cc44747

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6509 on: May 16, 2024, 12:00:27 PM »
Man, so many memories from home. I listened to Fingers Metal Shop on 102.3 WBAB for God, so many years. I wasn't old enough to go to Sundance, but I listened to his show. I don't remember the various bands I heard, but one that stood out was an interview with Extreme for their first record. And Fingers played "Teacher's Pet," and I immediately went out and bought the cassette.

He was a big Queensryche supporter. I actually remember hearing, I think it was "I Don't Believe in Love" on there in 1988. If memory serves, Metal Shop was on either Saturday or Sunday night (I think it was Sunday)? I remember going to school and me and my fellow metalheads talked about listening. I had this boom box (like we all did) that was tucked on the side of the bed against the wall, and had headphones, and I always faked like I was sleeping and stayed up to listen to the show. I think it was an hour or so, if I remember right. At least it was when I listened back in the 1987-1990 timeframe.

But yeah, Sundance was THE place on Long Island in the 80s for metal. Zebra, Dream Theater, Manowar, GnR, Slayer, the list goes on and on. East Main Street in Bay Shore, if I remember right. I'd have to look up the address. Yeah, 217 East Main Street. South Shore University Hospital is right nearby now. I looked on Google Earth (I haven't been home in 20 years -- although I will be soon), and looks like the exact spot Sundance sat is under construction. Probably for a parking lot.  :tdwn

I really hope Fingers does some sort of memoir. Would love to hear the stories about Sundance and his time on the air for WBAB.

nice !