Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 707149 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5950 on: December 06, 2022, 07:50:13 AM »
I don't know why DeGarmo coming back would add anything. He left how long ago, and hasn't done jack shit since. The last album he made with them was 25 years ago, and it sucked.

Time to move on, people.

I was a huge DeGarmo fan when he was in the band, but I couldn't agree more (well, I don't think HITNF completely sucks, but yes, the point is the DeGarmo-version of Queensryche was already going donwnhill by then).

DeGarmo himself has long moved on, clearly  :)

Offline WardySI

« Reply #5951 on: December 06, 2022, 08:14:29 AM »
I still can't understand why so much weight gets lumped on Chris for HITNF like it's the be all end all of his career?  Like, that was just one album of 6.  The amount of bands that release dud records but manage to bounce back is endless.  Why would Queensryche have been any different had Chris stayed? 

I expect he's done nothing since because with a career elsewhere he chose not to.  But to think his return would have minimal affect on the band seems a bit unfair IMO.  While I support current Ryche, if hypothetically say Chris was to return to the band for one more studio album, let alone if Geoff returned too, I would imagine excitement would be justifiably high.

Not gonna happen, but regardless that and the why's and what went down, HITNF was just one album so who knows where he/they may have gone had Chris remained!? Chances are they would've gotten back to their A-game eventually.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5952 on: December 06, 2022, 08:35:03 AM »
I still can't understand why so much weight gets lumped on Chris for HITNF like it's the be all end all of his career? 

Well, the one before it blows too, so to me, it's four great albums. Yeah, I know some people love Promised Land, but I'm on the side that doesn't.

It'd be one thing if DeGarmo was killed like Randy Rhoads, but he left of his own accord.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5953 on: December 06, 2022, 08:41:21 AM »
TAC's opinions about DeGarmo's writing is one of the worst opinions a metal fan ever had in the history of music.  Not to mention the fact that it also ignores his contributions on Tribe (as well as Hostage), which were mostly REALLY good. 

But where TAC is correct is, yeah, the guy has been gone for a LONG time.  It is indeed long past time to move on from the idea of him coming back. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5954 on: December 06, 2022, 08:42:10 AM »
First off, while only Chris could say for certain, I'm pretty darn sure DeGarmo would want nothing to do with current Queensryche. I'm sure he's happy for Michael and Ed if they're happy, but I don't see him being remotely interested.

Second, the hate for Hear in the Now Frontier needs to stop. I get people (looking at you, Tim) not LIKING Hear in the Now Frontier. I totally do. But if you're a Queensryche fan for the entirety of their run with DeGarmo, that is what they did - change their sound every record incorporating what they are learning as songwriters, what styles are popular and influencing them. Even as much as people credit Rage for Order as this forward thinking album - QR was influenced not just by goth and vampire stuff as an image, but musically as well. As DeGarmo himself said - (paraphrase) nobody's original, everyone's uniquely derivative. DeGarmo, as QR's primary songwriter in the 90s, was listening to what was local, and he was friends with guys like Cornell, Cantrell, etc. If you listen to HITNF, you can hear the influence a record like Down on the Upside from Soundgarden had on the direction of HITNF, plus DeGarmo's own evolution of a songwriter.

I get it if people don't like that style, but as the years have gone on, I really have come to appreciate HITNF a lot. Sure, there is way more filler than usual (a product of the experiment they did of not over rehearsing the material and just going in and doing it more spontaneous). But the record is completely full of all the usual Queensryche hallmarks. It is, like all the albums before it, an evolution of sound by Queensryche. And I really enjoy the variety.

re: Tate-DeGarmo - those two are the soul and heart of the band, with Wilton being the balls. Wilton didn't evolve as much as DeGarmo did as a guitar player. You hear it in his solos and his riffs. But that's what made him being the third key songwriter in the band so important. He kept the metal riff a big part of Queensryche, and I'm so glad he did. He got a bit phased out on PL and HITNF, but on those original lineup songs from Tribe (Open, Desert Dance, Falling Behind, The Art of Life, Doin' Fine, and Justified), those main riffs in Open and DD are absolutely his to my ears. And the rest of Tribe (the non-DeGarmo stuff) - again, a lot of that is Wilton.

People can talk about the current version of QR and love it, and I am happy the band is happy and fans are diggin' it. But they are a COMPLETELY different entity. It's like listening to a completely different band to my ears.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5955 on: December 06, 2022, 08:50:14 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5956 on: December 06, 2022, 08:51:02 AM »
Second, the hate for Hear in the Now Frontier needs to stop. I get people (looking at you, Tim) not LIKING Hear in the Now Frontier. I totally do. But if you're a Queensryche fan for the entirety of their run with DeGarmo, that is what they did - change their sound every record incorporating what they are learning as songwriters, what styles are popular and influencing them.

My last post (for effect) not withstanding, I actually don't hate HITNF. I actually loved the direction they took with it. I really do. It also has the best band portrait ever taken in the sleeve. I really like a handful of tracks. I don't think it's very good though as the band really felt splintered on it. But I don't hate it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5957 on: December 06, 2022, 08:55:13 AM »
Marty Friedman is opening for QR? Shit, I will just go to see Marty!  :metal

I kid I kid. I love the current QR lineup. Will definitely make it to the San Antonio show.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5958 on: December 06, 2022, 09:06:06 AM »
I may have to take that show in as well. I only saw Marty once, in 1997 or 1998 on the Cryptic tour. Ozzfest.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5959 on: December 06, 2022, 09:10:05 AM »
Same. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5960 on: December 06, 2022, 09:14:16 AM »
All of this talk of DeGarmo has got me thinking...

I have always understood his walking away from QR. Samsara has written on this topic at length (his site used to be in his signature, but I don't see it now???), and when it's all laid out, his move actually looks quite brilliant.

That said, as a semi-retired musician myself (albeit, no where even close as successful), I often wonder if he still writes, and if so, what he does with all that music.

Hell, even with a 1-year-old running around my house, my mind is constantly humming with new musical ideas. Now, I rarely have any sort of time to sit down and do anything with them, but the inspiration has never stopped (even if my playing sort of has).

And, even with virtually no down-time whatsoever, I've still managed to write and record (haphazardly, mind you) a handful of songs over the past twelve months.

Part of me wonders/assumes that Chris has been doing the same for the past 25 years, and while I've all but given up hope on this front, I sincerely hope he releases some sort of album or collection some day.

Acoustic, singer-songwriter, instrumental, I don't really care...I'd like to just hear a little more music from one of my all-time favorite musicians.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5961 on: December 06, 2022, 09:15:42 AM »
I saw Marty twice - Ozzfest on the Cryptic tour and a headlining show on the Risk tour.  It would be fun to see him play a solo show.  May get tickets for the Rave in Milwaukee.  From some online chatter, it seems like QR may play more new songs on this headlining run. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5962 on: December 06, 2022, 09:26:43 AM »

I have always understood his walking away from QR. Samsara has written on this topic at length (his site used to be in his signature, but I don't see it now???), and when it's all laid out, his move actually looks quite brilliant.

That said, as a semi-retired musician myself (albeit, no where even close as successful), I often wonder if he still writes, and if so, what he does with all that music.

Hell, even with a 1-year-old running around my house, my mind is constantly humming with new musical ideas. Now, I rarely have any sort of time to sit down and do anything with them, but the inspiration has never stopped (even if my playing sort of has).

And, even with virtually no down-time whatsoever, I've still managed to write and record (haphazardly, mind you) a handful of songs over the past twelve months.

Part of me wonders/assumes that Chris has been doing the same for the past 25 years, and while I've all but given up hope on this front, I sincerely hope he releases some sort of album or collection some day.

Acoustic, singer-songwriter, instrumental, I don't really care...I'd like to just hear a little more music from one of my all-time favorite musicians.

He's been a private pilot since the early 2000s. Last I heard, he was doing cross country trips for a major company (I don't want to say anything else that would compromise his privacy). He also writes all the time. He's said multiple times (in public interviews) that he has a ton of material. He also does some writing with his daughter in a project called The Rue. If you shut his daughter's voice off in your head, and just listening to the music, it's acoustic and sounds very much like (at times) the acoustic stuff he's always written. Here you go - https://www.theruemusic.com/

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5963 on: December 06, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »

He's been a private pilot since the early 2000s. Last I heard, he was doing cross country trips for a major company (I don't want to say anything else that would compromise his privacy). He also writes all the time. He's said multiple times (in public interviews) that he has a ton of material. He also does some writing with his daughter in a project called The Rue. If you shut his daughter's voice off in your head, and just listening to the music, it's acoustic and sounds very much like (at times) the acoustic stuff he's always written. Here you go - https://www.theruemusic.com/

Ahhh, yes. I have that EP and remember when it came out (years ago, I believe)

Very good call!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5964 on: December 06, 2022, 09:41:06 AM »
First off, while only Chris could say for certain, I'm pretty darn sure DeGarmo would want nothing to do with current Queensryche. I'm sure he's happy for Michael and Ed if they're happy, but I don't see him being remotely interested.

Second, the hate for Hear in the Now Frontier needs to stop. I get people (looking at you, Tim) not LIKING Hear in the Now Frontier. I totally do. But if you're a Queensryche fan for the entirety of their run with DeGarmo, that is what they did - change their sound every record incorporating what they are learning as songwriters, what styles are popular and influencing them. Even as much as people credit Rage for Order as this forward thinking album - QR was influenced not just by goth and vampire stuff as an image, but musically as well. As DeGarmo himself said - (paraphrase) nobody's original, everyone's uniquely derivative. DeGarmo, as QR's primary songwriter in the 90s, was listening to what was local, and he was friends with guys like Cornell, Cantrell, etc. If you listen to HITNF, you can hear the influence a record like Down on the Upside from Soundgarden had on the direction of HITNF, plus DeGarmo's own evolution of a songwriter.

I get it if people don't like that style, but as the years have gone on, I really have come to appreciate HITNF a lot. Sure, there is way more filler than usual (a product of the experiment they did of not over rehearsing the material and just going in and doing it more spontaneous). But the record is completely full of all the usual Queensryche hallmarks. It is, like all the albums before it, an evolution of sound by Queensryche. And I really enjoy the variety.

re: Tate-DeGarmo - those two are the soul and heart of the band, with Wilton being the balls. Wilton didn't evolve as much as DeGarmo did as a guitar player. You hear it in his solos and his riffs. But that's what made him being the third key songwriter in the band so important. He kept the metal riff a big part of Queensryche, and I'm so glad he did. He got a bit phased out on PL and HITNF, but on those original lineup songs from Tribe (Open, Desert Dance, Falling Behind, The Art of Life, Doin' Fine, and Justified), those main riffs in Open and DD are absolutely his to my ears. And the rest of Tribe (the non-DeGarmo stuff) - again, a lot of that is Wilton.

People can talk about the current version of QR and love it, and I am happy the band is happy and fans are diggin' it. But they are a COMPLETELY different entity. It's like listening to a completely different band to my ears.

THIS  ^^

and I loved HITNF  and most of PL, I find HITNF  100% Timeless and to me it gets better and better, I loved the dry production

QR was not a sound but a vision on humanity and they said from the start it was about EVOLUTION and they did that,  Tate would say if you dont like the current album just wait for the next album as they did not want to make " in the box , me too" music and it harmed them as far as marketing,  I too "believe" that CDG is very long gone and has no interest in the current QR.   in reality i feel its an impossibility for Chris or Tate to work with the "band" as they would just be paid employees and unless it was Scott too I dont see it happening ,  IMO and my opinion only to be clear I DO NOT ever see it happening period

I also agree the current QR is not the same band at all ... period   IMO

my OPINION as always

I love TAC   that is not an opinion  : )
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:49:23 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5965 on: December 06, 2022, 10:19:13 AM »
I had given up hope a long time ago on CDG returning to the band. And if they didn't have a good working relationship with Zeuss (who is a top-notch producer) I had actually hoped CDG might be brought back to co-write/produce songs.

Personally I think Michael and Todd are a good songwriting combo but they need help fleshing out ideas further, especially with melodies. There are so many QR songs in the TLT era where I feel that there is a huge musical buildup, then it just falls flat or goes the wrong direction in the chorus. Musically and production-wise the songs sound really good and I enjoy the musicianship in the band.

As for the 2023 tour, I love the bands they have been touring with in the states in recent years (Armored Saint, now Marty Friedman). Will definitely check the show out here in Charlotte.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5966 on: December 06, 2022, 12:13:38 PM »
I may have to take that show in as well. I only saw Marty once, in 1997 or 1998 on the Cryptic tour. Ozzfest.
In addition to the times I saw him with Megadeth, I was fortunate enough to see him in a place here in NJ about twice the size of my basement back in 2019.  His band is absolutely amazing.  Not really being familiar with much of his discography past 'Scenes' and 'Introduction', it was still a fantastic show.  If QR/MF is anywhere close to me next year, I'll be checking it out for sure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5967 on: December 06, 2022, 12:16:58 PM »
I saw Marty with Megadeth in '95 when they were headlining an outdoor festival show near Minneapolis.  Loved him in Megadeth.  Haven't pursued any of his solo stuff, but would love to see him as an opener.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5968 on: December 06, 2022, 01:07:32 PM »
In addition to the times I saw him with Megadeth, I was fortunate enough to see him in a place here in NJ about twice the size of my basement back in 2019.  His band is absolutely amazing.  Not really being familiar with much of his discography past 'Scenes' and 'Introduction', it was still a fantastic show.  If QR/MF is anywhere close to me next year, I'll be checking it out for sure.

Whenever his last tour rolled through the Bay Area, I was tempted. My wife and I didn't go, for some reason (probably work-related), but I'd like to see his solo performance.

Offline Animal

« Reply #5969 on: December 06, 2022, 01:15:55 PM »
To TAC and others: I never said I wanted CDG to return or thought it was a possibility. AFAIK, CDG returning is about as likely as Kevin Moore displacing JR and reuniting with DT. And AFAIC, Queensryche are fine the way they are. All I was trying to say was that, in a purely hypothetical scenario, if an original line-up member were to rejoin the band, I would find CDG preferable to Tate. I neither thi

As for Tate's creative contributions, I am just going by what I have read here, mostly by Samsara. I assumed he was basically a lyricist, but didn't really write music as CDG would give him finished songs with vocal melodies already written (not sure about how it worked with Wilton). Of course, we can argue about the impact of GT's lyrics and its contribution to the bands success but we will get nowhere. I believe - but can't really prove - that the success of conceptual albums is usually not down to the stories they are trying to tell. The story just shouldn't be too bad or stupid (but even that may not be much of a hindrance - see The Astonishing or most classical operas). The same with lyrics - unless they are really bad so as to put off significant number of listeners, or really good so people focus at them as much or more as they focus on music. Queensryche is, IMO, in neither category. I actually spent some time translating Anybody Listening to my native language (a hobby of mine) and it's a mixed bag - some nice poetry along with some cliches.

Jammindude: Wise words but I think mma is a better acronym.
Michael Wilton - Metal
Chris DeGarmo - Music
Geoff Tate - Asshole.
But the asshole happened to be one of the most talented and technically proficient metal singers ever. And this kind of singing ability takes a lot of work so he deserves every credit for that.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5970 on: December 06, 2022, 01:49:01 PM »
I still have some subsequent posts to read, but re: HITNF, I don't hate it either.  But I also don't like it all that much.   I really wanted to like it. I gave it lots of tries but ultimately had to admit that it was just kinda meh.  And I was/am a fan of grunge.  Being influenced by AIC or Soundgarden is fine by me.  But I think the end result just fell short.
It pales in comparison to both QR's previous albums and to AIC and Soundgarden.  You and Spool are great songs, and the rest are OK to poor (imo).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5971 on: December 06, 2022, 01:58:56 PM »
Of course this lineup has to skip us.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5972 on: December 06, 2022, 02:04:07 PM »
Lethean - good post. I think that's fair. I happen to think songs such as Sign of the Times, The Voice Inside, Some People Fly, Hit the Black, and Reach belong with You and spOOL as the best tunes on the record. For me personally, I'd add Hero, as DeGarmo's guitar work is awesome, although perhaps by design, the vocal is very monotone. Chasing Blue Sky, while a b-side, would be on my list for the record's main running order. I could cut the rest. But it is what it is. I find an album that contains 8 to 9 songs that I like to be a good one.

Animal - Tate, in Queensryche's original configuration, played keyboards and sax (not to mention a little rhythm guitar on the Rage tour) when needed, but he didn't write the music at all. He may have suggested direction, but the music of Queensryche's original lineup was composed mostly by DeGarmo and Wilton, with Jackson and Rockenfield having a few writing credits once the 90s came in. Queensryche's lyrics and vocal melodies were crafted by Tate and DeGarmo. And DeGarmo worked with Tate a lot on his vocal melodies. So the band's writing was truly a very collaborative effort between the two of them, adding in Wilton from the EP-Empire (he was less involved in PL and HITNF as the material strayed away from his strengths as a writer).

re: Anybody Listening? Funny you feel that way. I find Anybody Listening to be the band's finest songs, with very impactful lyrics. I think lyrics are a personal thing. You either connect with them, or you don't. The message in that song has always hit home for me. Some good stuff by Tate there.

Edit - just saw the current version of Queensryche released a video for "Sicdeth." Pretty disturbing. I gotta say, I think some of their videos have been pretty good over the last few records. I can't pinpoint which ones, but absolutely way better than the stuff they did post-Promised Land.

I will say though, that this version of QR does something annoying to me. They tend to use phrases from Tate and DeGarmo's lyrics in their new songs quite frequently. I heard "toss the key" in "Sicdeth" which reminded me totally of "One and Only." Again, could be coincidental, but I doubt it. This happens on every single album they've done with La Torre, multiple times per record. Just not something I care for.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 02:26:13 PM by Samsara »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5973 on: December 06, 2022, 02:33:26 PM »
I will say though, that this version of QR does something annoying to me. They tend to use phrases from Tate and DeGarmo's lyrics in their new songs quite frequently. I heard "toss the key" in "Sicdeth" which reminded me totally of "One and Only." Again, could be coincidental, but I doubt it. This happens on every single album they've done with La Torre, multiple times per record. Just not something I care for.

Same!  I picked up on it right away on the s/t.  And that first time, in that context, I thought it was actually a cool nod and was in favor of it.  When he did it again on Condition Human, it immediately bothered me, which I mentioned.  And, yes, it has continued.  And rather than being a cool bit of connective tissue, it is an unnecessary distraction.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5974 on: December 06, 2022, 02:45:09 PM »

Whenever his last tour rolled through the Bay Area, I was tempted. My wife and I didn't go, for some reason (probably work-related), but I'd like to see his solo performance.
The crazy thing is the ticket was $23, too.  His 2nd guitarist, Jordan Ziff, was the guitarist in the last iteration of Ratt and was great.  His bassist and drummer, both Japanese, were phenomenal.  Hopefully, he has maintained the same band because they were so much fun to watch.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5975 on: December 06, 2022, 11:15:12 PM »
Looking back with the years behind me and being around  late 70s early 80s metal scene it becomes so apparent that what hurt QR was THEY MATURED TOO FAST for the fan base, I can now look back and see the parallels  to the Beatles 8 year run from 62 to 70 and how many fans wanted them to be the early bealtes and did not the later band.
The crazy metal mullet of the time wanted them to stay at EP level, we always scratched our head on each release going a bit farther until Tate was wearing pleated pants on stage .... the fans were simply not maturing as quick.

the comparo to the Beatles is very loose but shows an unbelievable run that is almost still unfathomable by the Beatles

but I now can go back and enjoy that evolution more and more and ,,, like I say CDG evolved into a man in front of our eyes who just walked away to save his family and chase the sky.   to me that was QUEENSRYCHE.  It was a fun time.

This is why I think I simply chuckle at the NEW "QR"   its polar opposite  IMO it tarnishes the memory of the original vision. IMO of course
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5976 on: December 07, 2022, 04:14:40 AM »
This is why I think I simply chuckle at the NEW "QR"   its polar opposite  IMO it tarnishes the memory of the original vision. IMO of course
I'd say Sao Paulo 2012 and having 2 bands running around with the same name did way more to tarninsh the memory of Queensryche than any new music possibly could.  If Wilton and Jackson are happy with the new music they're creating and there are fans who enjoy it, I don't see the problem.  At least they ARE putting out new music.  How many bands are out there with 0-1 original members that tour for decades and don't put out ANY new music?!? 

The fact of the matter is this is where we're at...  There's a Queensryche and Geoff Tate solo band.  Everyone is entitled to embrace one or the other, or both, or neither and stick with the first 4-5 albums.  We're all lucky to have that choice.  Speaking for myself, I prefer QR's newer output over that of GT.  I find them to be a more authentic version of their former self.  I've never heard MW or EJ say they hate metal one moment (or ever) and then go out and play QotR the next.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5977 on: December 07, 2022, 05:06:48 AM »
I've always thought that Eddie was really singing.  Certainly during the Todd years you can hear him pretty clearly, or at least you can hear a voice that isn't Todd so I assume it's him.  I guess he could be even pretending to sing to his own voice prerecorded.

Offline Animal

« Reply #5978 on: December 07, 2022, 06:51:42 AM »
Samsara: Thanks for the info. DeGarmo seemed like a kind of musician who would bring a pretty much finished song, not just a riff or an idea - a very complete songwriter. Not sure how things worked with Wilton/Tate songs where CDG would claim no credit - I think you said in the past that CDG would help without taking credit, is that right?

Re.Anybody Listening - this is my favorite QR song too. And, as I said before, there is a lot of good stuff in the lyrics. I just don't like some parts that are too direct or preachy ("think for yourself") - even if I agree with the message. It is just my professional conditioning to be nitpicky about the way people express their ideas.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5979 on: December 07, 2022, 07:06:02 AM »
The Tateryche years are what tarnished their legacy imo. Now with Todd on board they make at least decent music again.

Is it as good as their best work? No, definitely not, but those four records are miles better than anything post DeGarmo and for me even better than HITNF and sometimes Promised Land. Or the EP for that matter. And maybe even some songs on The Warning.

Strictly imo of course.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5980 on: December 07, 2022, 07:12:18 AM »
The Tateryche years are what tarnished their legacy imo. Now with Todd on board they make at least decent music again.

Is it as good as their best work? No, definitely not, but those four records are miles better than anything post DeGarmo and for me even better than HITNF and sometimes Promised Land. Or the EP for that matter. And maybe even some songs on The Warning.

Strictly imo of course.

Yup   :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline emtee

« Reply #5981 on: December 07, 2022, 07:18:01 AM »
I happen to think DNA is on par with their best work. I'll be in the minority with this opinion. Truly how I feel though.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5982 on: December 07, 2022, 07:56:21 AM »
I happen to think DNA is on par with their best work. I'll be in the minority with this opinion. Truly how I feel though.

I feel the same way about the new album.  It's the first album with Todd that really hits me hard, even as much as I enjoyed the prior 3 at times. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5983 on: December 07, 2022, 08:35:00 AM »
I've always thought that Eddie was really singing.  Certainly during the Todd years you can hear him pretty clearly, or at least you can hear a voice that isn't Todd so I assume it's him.  I guess he could be even pretending to sing to his own voice prerecorded.

Eddie sings live. Always has. To my ears, I believe (based on the last time I saw TLT-era QR in fall 2021) that Todd sings to a very low pre-recorded backing track of himself (as does Tate now). Eddie though - his background vocals are live. If you hear background vocals that are pre-recorded, it's part of the track Todd sings to. But Eddie is singing live. Just listen to them do Screaming in Digital. That's all live. That said, while Ed is credited on the records as doing background vocals - they are actually Todd. Ed gets credited since he does them all live. That's just how they do it as a band.

Samsara: Thanks for the info. DeGarmo seemed like a kind of musician who would bring a pretty much finished song, not just a riff or an idea - a very complete songwriter. Not sure how things worked with Wilton/Tate songs where CDG would claim no credit - I think you said in the past that CDG would help without taking credit, is that right?

Re.Anybody Listening - this is my favorite QR song too. And, as I said before, there is a lot of good stuff in the lyrics. I just don't like some parts that are too direct or preachy ("think for yourself") - even if I agree with the message. It is just my professional conditioning to be nitpicky about the way people express their ideas.

Yes, DeGarmo was the most complete songwriter in the band. On the Tate/Wilton songs, it generally is Wilton's riff (you can tell his style pretty clearly) and he could have a bridge or chorus part, etc. But oftentimes DeGarmo would arrange the parts to complete the tune. They worked in tandem. If it was a lot, DeGarmo got a co-credit. If it wasn't, then he wouldn't. If you listen to the original lineup songs, the simpler arrangements tended to be the songs that were credited to Tate/Wilton. Take a look and see. Speak, Reach, Resistance, Deliverance, etc. Then compare to stuff like The Mission, The Whisper, Anybody Listening, Suite Sister Mary, etc. The arrangements tended to be a little more advanced when the song was DeGarmo's...especially as the band got into the mid-to-late-1980s and early 1990s.

That's how I understood it all. Makes a lot of sense when you look back at the catalog.

edit - regarding the live singing to the backing track...that's what I believe I've heard. Not saying definitively. The was based on what I heard at the show at the Snoqualmie Casino in October 2021 (the last time I saw this version of QR). Obviously, I could be mistaken and mean no offense to the band. And as for Tate, it's based on what I've heard on YouTube the last few years.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 11:13:37 AM by Samsara »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5984 on: December 07, 2022, 11:11:53 AM »
p.s. Spotify gave me a code for today's presale of QR tickets. Anyone needing any early, use the code ALLIANCE. Looks like it's for the full tour, according to the email.