Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 707109 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5845 on: October 13, 2022, 04:20:12 AM »
Is Rebell yell a bonus track or legitimately a part of the album? I ended every listen with Tormentor.  ;D

They covered a Billy Idol song and a W.A.S.P. song?   ;D
They actually covered a Kreator song.  :P

Well, now I'm not editing the post.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5846 on: October 13, 2022, 04:20:53 AM »
Is Rebell yell a bonus track or legitimately a part of the album? I ended every listen with Tormentor.  ;D

On the physical cd it is clearly labeled as a bonus track.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5847 on: October 13, 2022, 04:27:00 AM »

Don't you hate it when you realise you've made a blunder and can't edit because some asshole has quoted and called you out on it already.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5848 on: October 13, 2022, 04:55:23 AM »

Don't you hate it when you realise you've made a blunder and can't edit because some asshole has quoted and called you out on it already.  :lol
That's actually one of my favorite things.  ;D

On the physical cd it is clearly labeled as a bonus track.
Thank God. It would actually drag the album down a point.  :lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #5849 on: October 13, 2022, 06:02:46 AM »

It's listed on the CD as a bonus track so expect no it wasn't supposed to sound anything like the album just a cover song  ;)

Had it been back when it probably would've been a B-Side for one of the singles but we no longer have the pleasure...

ETA just saw Kwyjibo beat me to it and already answered Cheers  :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5850 on: October 13, 2022, 08:26:48 AM »

I'd just love it if they could talk DeGarmo into a production role to just iron out some of the clumsy lyrics that persist since Tate left (let's just pretend D2C never happened) and sprinkle a bit of magic over some of the guitar arrangements. He doesn't have to do anything more than that, but it wouldn't go wrong.

No chance. If DeGarmo wanted anything to do with either current QR or Tate himself, he would have done it long ago. He's made it pretty clear that for him, it's about the original band and their chemistry and brotherhood. I, for one, am glad. Let this version of the band be what they are. They are solid. Maybe not my preference, but they do just fine on their own.

re: Rebel Yell

I think it's a quirky, but fun, cover. I'm not sure I would have put it on the record as a "bonus track." While well marked as a bonus song, it sort of...takes away from the impact of the album closer. But as Wardy said...we no longer have CD singles and b-sides.  :sad:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #5851 on: October 13, 2022, 08:56:55 AM »
But as Wardy said...we no longer have CD singles and b-sides.  :sad:
They could have made it a casette exclusive! :biggrin:

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #5852 on: October 13, 2022, 11:51:25 AM »

Yeah, consider me one of the rare few who has no problem with the Rebel Yell cover just for there mere fact it was the last thing I ever guessed they would do, and honestly, it turned out quite well. I am quite pleased with the album overall. An album like this probably would have never happened with Tate still in the band.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5853 on: October 13, 2022, 12:45:59 PM »
An album like this probably would have never happened with Tate still in the band.

I see statements like this all the time, and to be honest, while true, it's not just Tate. The original band never repeated themselves. Every single record had this vibe/direction that differed from what came before it. All of those records had hallmarks of the band's sound throughout, but they each had a different feel to them, which in and of itself, was also a hallmark of classic Queensryche. It was one of the things that for me, personally, drew me to the band. I loved the evolutionary ride.

With TLT, I have felt that the band, stylistically, using the EP through Empire as a template (and honestly, I think they only do a PL track or two live because the fans love it, not because they particularly want to - TLT has said more than once PL wasn't really his thing), have not really grown much from the self-titled 2013 album to Digital Noise Alliance. They've sort of created this sound of their own using the core QR albums as template, and infusing TLT's writing and interests. And what we've gotten is consistency and a bit of repetitiveness. And THAT is something we would not have gotten out of Tate, nor with the full original band.

And consistency is good, and much better than what we got with Q2k, OPMC 2, AS and D2C. But I'd argue that Queensryche, while creating music more in the style of what got them noticed, has also lost a bit of its authenticity as a result. Not that that is bad - it works for them and most of the fanbase. Honestly, at Wilton and Jackson's age, reinventing the wheel every record would hurt them, not help them. So I get that. But as I listen to DNA, I hear a band that is unwilling to break new ground and try new things. And if I was still a hardcore fan (as most know, my passion is for the original band's catalog, not this lineup), that would bother me.

Yes, I could be reading way too much into it - it's a set of songs. But I don't hear a lot of growth the last few records, and while growth may not be their goal (I have no idea), I know it's significantly less interesting for me as a listener. Again, I'm not saying DNA is bad - it's not. It's a good record. But my original thought, even after many more spins, still stands. To me, DNA sounds like a band that is not sure of where to go, and is treading water.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5854 on: October 13, 2022, 12:52:31 PM »
Sam is right.  Every album by the original band is sonically unique.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #5855 on: October 13, 2022, 05:54:58 PM »
I'm at the show in Connecticut tonight and they are currently playing Behind the Walls. Badass!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #5856 on: October 13, 2022, 06:08:40 PM »

Now they are playing In Extremis!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5857 on: October 13, 2022, 06:09:54 PM »
An album like this probably would have never happened with Tate still in the band.

I see statements like this all the time, and to be honest, while true, it's not just Tate. The original band never repeated themselves. Every single record had this vibe/direction that differed from what came before it. All of those records had hallmarks of the band's sound throughout, but they each had a different feel to them, which in and of itself, was also a hallmark of classic Queensryche. It was one of the things that for me, personally, drew me to the band. I loved the evolutionary ride.

With TLT, I have felt that the band, stylistically, using the EP through Empire as a template (and honestly, I think they only do a PL track or two live because the fans love it, not because they particularly want to - TLT has said more than once PL wasn't really his thing), have not really grown much from the self-titled 2013 album to Digital Noise Alliance. They've sort of created this sound of their own using the core QR albums as template, and infusing TLT's writing and interests. And what we've gotten is consistency and a bit of repetitiveness. And THAT is something we would not have gotten out of Tate, nor with the full original band.

And consistency is good, and much better than what we got with Q2k, OPMC 2, AS and D2C. But I'd argue that Queensryche, while creating music more in the style of what got them noticed, has also lost a bit of its authenticity as a result. Not that that is bad - it works for them and most of the fanbase. Honestly, at Wilton and Jackson's age, reinventing the wheel every record would hurt them, not help them. So I get that. But as I listen to DNA, I hear a band that is unwilling to break new ground and try new things. And if I was still a hardcore fan (as most know, my passion is for the original band's catalog, not this lineup), that would bother me.

Yes, I could be reading way too much into it - it's a set of songs. But I don't hear a lot of growth the last few records, and while growth may not be their goal (I have no idea), I know it's significantly less interesting for me as a listener. Again, I'm not saying DNA is bad - it's not. It's a good record. But my original thought, even after many more spins, still stands. To me, DNA sounds like a band that is not sure of where to go, and is treading water.

I agree.... I think thats why I simply have little to no interest as it doesnt have that "magic" or shall we say "curiosity" element in my opinion of course..  we know many bands are guilty of the same so it is what it is.  for me they were always more than that but as you said at this stage it appears they will not be taking real musical risks.   
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5858 on: October 13, 2022, 06:11:40 PM »

Now they are playing In Extremis!

Glad you are enjoying the show..  I have buddy there , he is going for JP, I hope Rob has his voice tonite,,

ENJOY!!!!!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #5859 on: October 13, 2022, 06:14:16 PM »

Me too. He was sick last time I saw him (tonight is only my second JP show).

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5860 on: October 13, 2022, 06:19:08 PM »

Me too. He was sick last time I saw him (tonight is only my second JP show).

Have a great show   what a treat to see JP and Rob... Im blessed saw them forever since Hellbent.. they were my fav band

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5861 on: October 13, 2022, 06:40:49 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5862 on: October 14, 2022, 08:38:14 AM »
Here's In Extremis and Behind the Walls from the start of the tour with JP last night.

In Extremis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94VQqTSvGyY

Behind the Walls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQZha3_M74g

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5863 on: October 14, 2022, 08:39:29 AM »
Looked like a fun set list last night to kick off the Priest tour.

QR debuted two new songs in their 11-song set - "Behind the Walls" and "In Extremis."

Loved mini set of tunes from The Warning near the top, with "Warning," "En Force" and "NM 156." I swear, that's their second best album after Mindcrime. Even with crappy mix, the moment I put the intended song order version of that record on, it just fucking slays.

Sounded like the band is in top form too. Glad to see it.  :metal

p.s. Deathless beat me to it as I was typing, so I just hit enter anyway.  :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #5864 on: October 14, 2022, 11:09:19 AM »

Not sure how long he has been doing this, but there were a bunch of deep, gutteral growls and screams sprinkled throughout the QR set, including in Queen of the Ryche. I liked it!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5865 on: October 14, 2022, 12:52:12 PM »
Here's In Extremis and Behind the Walls from the start of the tour with JP last night.

Nice to see them doing that, even though the album just dropped and most people won't be familiar with the new songs yet.  I wish it was more from the TLT era, but at least they are representing a bit.  And they sound pretty good.  Stone's guitar tone, which was one of my big concerns, actually sounds good to me. 

Not sure how long he has been doing this, but there were a bunch of deep, gutteral growls and screams sprinkled throughout the QR set, including in Queen of the Ryche. I liked it!

Yeah, that's been a thing since he joined.  If you listen carefully, there is some of that on the TLT albums as well.  It's used sparingly as an effect rather than being too forward, and in that context, I think it fits and adds some aggression without being too distracting.  I like it as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5866 on: October 14, 2022, 01:26:08 PM »

:metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #5867 on: October 14, 2022, 02:53:56 PM »
They sound great! Killer performance.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5868 on: October 16, 2022, 01:22:07 PM »
Are these vocals legit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrUWWorx1KM

...or is there just an extended vocal sustain at the end of some of the lines?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5869 on: October 16, 2022, 01:51:45 PM »

It sounds like he’s using an effect to me. He is doing a bit better than he was four or five years ago. I’ll give him that much.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5870 on: October 16, 2022, 04:14:37 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5871 on: October 17, 2022, 08:31:35 AM »

The vocals are legit, he's just using an effect at the end to help it echo out. But he's hitting the notes. (Or at least going for them.) Not bad for 63, eh? I saw that Halford was doing the same thing.

One thing I noticed with Tate is that he holds the mic away from him as he goes for the note, and I'm guessing as he knows he's got it, he moves in closer. Again, assuming I'm correct, I guess that's in case he doesn't get it, he can just let it go without it being as noticeable? I'm not too up on live performance techniques. Maybe one of our musicians here can explain. To me, it was just Tate being careful to not hit something bad. But I'm really happy he's going for stuff. It doesn't always work, but the effort is there, and for me, that's what matters. Next time he tours the U.S., I'm there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5872 on: October 17, 2022, 09:07:29 AM »

The vocals are legit, he's just using an effect at the end to help it echo out. But he's hitting the notes. (Or at least going for them.) Not bad for 63, eh? I saw that Halford was doing the same thing.

I thought the same thing. QOTR started and I was really impressed.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5873 on: October 17, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »

One thing I noticed with Tate is that he holds the mic away from him as he goes for the note, and I'm guessing as he knows he's got it, he moves in closer. Again, assuming I'm correct, I guess that's in case he doesn't get it, he can just let it go without it being as noticeable? I'm not too up on live performance techniques. Maybe one of our musicians here can explain. To me, it was just Tate being careful to not hit something bad. But I'm really happy he's going for stuff. It doesn't always work, but the effort is there, and for me, that's what matters. Next time he tours the U.S., I'm there.

Typically, they will pull the mic away for something they are going to belt out, especially on the front of a note.  They may also do this on plosives, ie your B's, T's, D's, G's, P's, etc. because those generate a lot more sound pressure hitting the diaphragm of the mic. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5874 on: October 17, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »

Impressive for sure... He looks like hes having a great time and the crowd looks like they enjoyed it

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5875 on: October 17, 2022, 10:51:15 AM »

:omg: Niiice!!! :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #5876 on: October 18, 2022, 01:51:05 AM »

Yes and yes. If they weren't legit then why would you put sustain on a note that's flatter than a steam-rollered pancake?

That said, that's a pretty impressive performance given how bad Tate's vocals had gotten not that long ago, though it's weird seeing him rock out to one of the chuggier QR songs given his long stated attitude to that kind of metal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5877 on: October 18, 2022, 04:17:15 AM »

That's live mate, just with a lot of echo and sustain.  Great performance

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5878 on: October 18, 2022, 04:36:37 AM »

Offline emtee

« Reply #5879 on: October 18, 2022, 08:06:04 AM »
Some sad news from emtee. While listening to this on the way back from the beach on Sunday, I received a call from my sister that my father had died. From here forward it will be impossible to hear it and not remember.

Uugghh...

He lived a good life and we loved each other unconditionally. I will miss him. RIP Dad.