Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 707101 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5075 on: June 02, 2021, 03:18:57 PM »
Agreed on RFO being groundbreaking, taking nothing away anything from the EP and Warning, which are obviously far from standard metal albums and fantastic in their own right. I don't know, I guess it's Tate introducing more of his theatrical, lower register delivery, the production choices (the album might sound a bit dated now, but some of those choices were undeniably out-of-the box at the time) and that futuristic vibe...weird, but not trying hard to be ...super-cool, I think. Plus, of course, the songs are incredible.

My favorite Queensryche is O:M, but RFO is probably tied with PL in second place

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5076 on: June 02, 2021, 03:29:23 PM »
Agreed on RFO being groundbreaking, taking nothing away anything from the EP and Warning, which are obviously far from standard metal albums and fantastic in their own right. I don't know, I guess it's Tate introducing more of his theatrical, lower register delivery, the production choices (the album might sound a bit dated now, but some of those choices were undeniably out-of-the box at the time) and that futuristic vibe...weird, but not trying hard to be ...super-cool, I think. Plus, of course, the songs are incredible.

My favorite Queensryche is O:M, but RFO is probably tied with PL in second place

I was not into RFO when it came out. I was 17 and had just graduated HS at the time. It was so not heavy, and those album pics.. Yikes!!

But it has aged really well, and I like it a lot now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5077 on: June 02, 2021, 04:00:52 PM »
When I discovering Ryche, RFO was the only one I couldn't take to.  EP, Warning, Mindcrime and Empire were all home runs but I didn't 'get' RFO.  But, yeah, I've appreciated it and come to understand it over time, I think it's excellent now and agree, has aged fantasticly.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5078 on: June 02, 2021, 04:48:29 PM »
I dont hear anything on the Verdict that reminds me of QR nor early QR .  If it wasnt called QR id never know it was them,  You think its "metal" and that connotes to you old QR but I dont hear the QR sound in it ,  but enjoy bro  its all good ,

The theatrical balladry of Dark Reverie, the twin guitar layering on Man the Machine, the quirky, cerebral, yet groovy nature of a song like Propaganda Fashion, idk it's all still there, just in a modern and heavier form. A song like Arrow of Time off Condition Human also would've felt very much at home on The Warning imo. Very much got that signature twin lead and triumphant, yet subtly understated chorus. It doesn't matter if it reminds one of QR though, because I still think the last 3 albums are good on their own merits, some production issues aside.

agreed   Scott really is an important ingredient  and a truly unique sounding drummer   its obvious hes not on the verdict  the drums sound slappy and regular, after Peart I thought Scott was the best

Honestly... am I the only one who doesn't really hear it? The drums on the albums he was on aren't really anything out of this world to me. They provide that grounded, rock solid foundation. The drums on The Verdict actually feel more intricate and progressive to my ears, with Scott mostly having some pretty straight, but very punchy beats. I still appreciate what he brings to the QR sound, but I don't think it's something particularly unique.

May I ask what QR OMC song sounds like Rainbow, Rush or Scorpions in 1985? or what album at that time sounded like  and was story like OMC was with full video story and the singer playing the main character?  I saw Maiden with Paul D and saw JP on the Hellbent tour forward   I saw most every band of the genre at that time, I saw and heard nothing like QR,  I saw QR in 1983 onward. Im not seeing the comparison at all ,   The verdict I hear a lot of Ratt to Love Hate even.  Im curious as an old folk ...as I dont see it??  QR really didnt fit in any box.   Nothing sounded like the Warning even or RFO , OMC was for my generation truly unique   Floyds The Wall the only other unique thing going at the time to me

Revolution Calling is just total Scorpions in that twin guitar lead, as well as that style of harmonised vocal parts in the choruses. An album like Blackout, with songs like No One Like You, very much fit the bill as to what QR did later. Spreak and The Needle Lies are like a contemporary twist on something like Kill the King or Hellion / Electric Eye with a little more cold dystopian melancholy. Again, Iron Maiden did Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (might not have been the same level of rock opera grandeur but you can tell that it was on that route) before Operation Mindcrime (not to mention Rush's 2112, which also has much more of that rock opera feeling to it). The Warning to me feels very similar to more cerebral 70s Judas Priest material but with a de-emphasis on the blues elements and it's not a million miles away from contemporary bands like Iron Maiden (a sort of NWOBHM vibe in general on songs like Deliverance), Warlord or Diamond Head either.

It's mainly just the increased emphasis on the theatricality and the more atmospheric side of things, but it's not like that was necessarily absent before in the metal scene, because Mercyful Fate (and later King Diamond) had that element too, even if in a much darker context. Maybe the way they presented the album in a live setting was unique I guess, but that itself I can imagine takes after The Wall in a lot of ways (much like the album itself, the beginning of Eyes of a Stranger emulating Empty Spaces pretty closely). I will grant you that despite its very clear mixture of influences, RfO does stand alone in its interpretation of them. It's definitely the most unique of QR's albums in its general cold and dystopian sonic and stylistic palette. I'd also be interested to hear from Ratt or Love Hate remind you of The Verdict, because to me, Todd era feel more in the vein of US-style power metal bands like Sanctuary, early Savatage and Vicious Rumours.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5079 on: June 02, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »
The EP and Warning were excellent albums that certainly showcased an incredibly talented metal band. But I never really thought of them as doing something that hadn’t been done before.

RFO did many things I had never heard done by a metal band before. The eerie weird vibe that it put off was actually very unsettling in places. But that’s exactly what made it so perfect. It was not a straightforward prog metal album...it was actually progressing. That’s why I consider that album in particular to be “groundbreaking”.

That’s also why I’ve always nicknamed PL “RFO with a budget”. Those two albums are a much better definition of “the QR sound” than Empire. And maybe even than OMC...although OMC had SSM which IMO is their definitive masterpiece. (More of the eerie/unsettling factor with the choir and spoken word stuff)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5080 on: June 02, 2021, 05:42:52 PM »
I dont hear anything on the Verdict that reminds me of QR nor early QR .  If it wasnt called QR id never know it was them,  You think its "metal" and that connotes to you old QR but I dont hear the QR sound in it ,  but enjoy bro  its all good ,

The theatrical balladry of Dark Reverie, the twin guitar layering on Man the Machine, the quirky, cerebral, yet groovy nature of a song like Propaganda Fashion, idk it's all still there, just in a modern and heavier form. A song like Arrow of Time off Condition Human also would've felt very much at home on The Warning imo. Very much got that signature twin lead and triumphant, yet subtly understated chorus. It doesn't matter if it reminds one of QR though, because I still think the last 3 albums are good on their own merits, some production issues aside.

agreed   Scott really is an important ingredient  and a truly unique sounding drummer   its obvious hes not on the verdict  the drums sound slappy and regular, after Peart I thought Scott was the best

Honestly... am I the only one who doesn't really hear it? The drums on the albums he was on aren't really anything out of this world to me. They provide that grounded, rock solid foundation. The drums on The Verdict actually feel more intricate and progressive to my ears, with Scott mostly having some pretty straight, but very punchy beats. I still appreciate what he brings to the QR sound, but I don't think it's something particularly unique.

May I ask what QR OMC song sounds like Rainbow, Rush or Scorpions in 1985? or what album at that time sounded like  and was story like OMC was with full video story and the singer playing the main character?  I saw Maiden with Paul D and saw JP on the Hellbent tour forward   I saw most every band of the genre at that time, I saw and heard nothing like QR,  I saw QR in 1983 onward. Im not seeing the comparison at all ,   The verdict I hear a lot of Ratt to Love Hate even.  Im curious as an old folk ...as I dont see it??  QR really didnt fit in any box.   Nothing sounded like the Warning even or RFO , OMC was for my generation truly unique   Floyds The Wall the only other unique thing going at the time to me

Revolution Calling is just total Scorpions in that twin guitar lead, as well as that style of harmonised vocal parts in the choruses. An album like Blackout, with songs like No One Like You, very much fit the bill as to what QR did later. Spreak and The Needle Lies are like a contemporary twist on something like Kill the King or Hellion / Electric Eye with a little more cold dystopian melancholy. Again, Iron Maiden did Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (might not have been the same level of rock opera grandeur but you can tell that it was on that route) before Operation Mindcrime (not to mention Rush's 2112, which also has much more of that rock opera feeling to it). The Warning to me feels very similar to more cerebral 70s Judas Priest material but with a de-emphasis on the blues elements and it's not a million miles away from contemporary bands like Iron Maiden (a sort of NWOBHM vibe in general on songs like Deliverance), Warlord or Diamond Head either.

It's mainly just the increased emphasis on the theatricality and the more atmospheric side of things, but it's not like that was necessarily absent before in the metal scene, because Mercyful Fate (and later King Diamond) had that element too, even if in a much darker context. Maybe the way they presented the album in a live setting was unique I guess, but that itself I can imagine takes after The Wall in a lot of ways (much like the album itself, the beginning of Eyes of a Stranger emulating Empty Spaces pretty closely). I will grant you that despite its very clear mixture of influences, RfO does stand alone in its interpretation of them. It's definitely the most unique of QR's albums in its general cold and dystopian sonic and stylistic palette. I'd also be interested to hear from Ratt or Love Hate remind you of The Verdict, because to me, Todd era feel more in the vein of US-style power metal bands like Sanctuary, early Savatage and Vicious Rumours.

sorry   Im not seeing any of that   If you do  thats great...your post was well thought out and its fun discussion but I dont see any of that.... I saw most of the bands you mention and I dont see the comparo.  Ive never in my life heard any of that in any Tate Chris QR, If you think Todd and Scott are the same level drumming I dont see that at all also but its all subjective and what one enjoys
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5081 on: June 02, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »

I just want to say welcome as I see you are new.  This is a very nice place with very nice people
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5082 on: June 02, 2021, 05:45:02 PM »

I was not into RFO when it came out. I was 17 and had just graduated HS at the time. It was so not heavy, and those album pics.. Yikes!!

But it has aged really well, and I like it a lot now.

Bingo Bro  like many QR Cds    RFO was not a commercial success at all

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5083 on: June 02, 2021, 05:52:09 PM »
The EP and Warning were excellent albums that certainly showcased an incredibly talented metal band. But I never really thought of them as doing something that hadn’t been done before.

RFO did many things I had never heard done by a metal band before. The eerie weird vibe that it put off was actually very unsettling in places. But that’s exactly what made it so perfect. It was not a straightforward prog metal album...it was actually progressing. That’s why I consider that album in particular to be “groundbreaking”.

That’s also why I’ve always nicknamed PL “RFO with a budget”. Those two albums are a much better definition of “the QR sound” than Empire. And maybe even than OMC...although OMC had SSM which IMO is their definitive masterpiece. (More of the eerie/unsettling factor with the choir and spoken word stuff)

I hear ya ,,,,but the EP and Warning were not like anything else in so many ways and to me way above anything other than Judas, but I never felt other than Tates voice Judas and QR had much in common at all . Judas was not as serious as Tates Vocals and lyrics and , think of Roads to Madness and that song in itself was unlike anything else etc  It was fun time for metal, but so much was mediocre think of White Lion that came out abut the same time and so many just meh stuff, Anthrax wiith Fistfull was unique and Metallica was also bringin in a new sound ,  to me so was Ryche

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5084 on: June 02, 2021, 06:03:32 PM »

I just want to say welcome as I see you are new.  This is a very nice place with very nice people

Thank you! Yes, I have come to realize that, as I've been reading the forum for some time. Plenty of great discussions/exchanges. Thought it was time to have some fun participating  ;)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5085 on: June 02, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »

This is SO true for me too. And, yes, PL sounds unbelievably good. One of my absolute favorite productions of all time.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5086 on: June 02, 2021, 07:50:20 PM »
Tate acoustic in March   I found this interesting and with my eyes shut he sounds like the 90s....for 62 amazing and gutsy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSurFYk4bNo

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5087 on: June 02, 2021, 08:04:53 PM »
Tate acoustic in March   I found this interesting and with my eyes shut he sounds like the 90s....for 62 amazing and gutsy

I shut my eyes and it sounded like he was in his 90's.

It is interesting though.

I found the performance of Eyes Of A Stranger.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5088 on: June 02, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5089 on: June 02, 2021, 09:30:34 PM »
And then there's this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3M8ak-cWJ8

:facepalm:
Must be a cheap phone making him sound bad!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #5090 on: June 02, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »
And then there's this..

Oof.  Tate still has lung power, but I cannot stand the tone of his live voice anymore.  Trying to listen to that chorus in "I Dream in Infrared" was like pulling teeth.  On the snowball's chance in hades he's reading this, just do whatever Tobi tells you to do, sir.

« Reply #5091 on: June 02, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »
And then there's this..

Oof.  Tate still has lung power, but I cannot stand the tone of his live voice anymore.  Trying to listen to that chorus in "I Dream in Infrared" was like pulling teeth.  On the snowball's chance in hades he's reading this, just do whatever Tobi tells you to do, sir.

I say live tone here, but really he sounds like this on both Sweet Oblivion records and it keeps me from liking either of them at all.  Thankfully, Tobias Sammett refuses to accept anything less than 110 percent on his music.

Online Lupton

« Reply #5092 on: June 02, 2021, 10:22:08 PM »
And then there's this..

Re: Infrared. Ouch!! Is that the original key? You know I could have sworn I caught another Youtube performance of that same tune from that same tour that sounded much better. But that is totally awful!!

Online Lupton

« Reply #5093 on: June 02, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »

Fortunately for me I don't need to shut my eyes to use my ears.  ;)  That's not too bad actually. Helps that he has backup during the chorus.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5094 on: June 02, 2021, 11:06:43 PM »

Enigma, I'm right there with you on this.  Nobody has to like Todd-era QR.  And, sure, there are plenty of elements you could point to that are different now from the classic era.  That is inevitable.  But you are dead-on about the similarities.  If you froze me in a time capsule after HITNF, woke me up in 2021, and played me Tribe, and then the three Todd-era albums, and just told me that Chris left and only contributed to about half of Tribe, and didn't tell me anything else, I'm pretty sure my reaction would be:  OK, I totally hear the evolution in their sound from the classic line-up era, to Tribe, to the s/t>Condition Human>Verdict.  I think any fan not named Epicview would go, "Yeah, sounds like QR to a modern edge to me."  Yes, some elements of their sound and their writing changed.  But the band always did that.  That was one of the things I loved about them when I discovered them during the classic era and they were my favorite band:  their sound changed and evolved from album to album, and often reflected what was going on in the music industry at the time, without necessarily being that.  So, yeah, a lot is different about the Todd-era albums.  But the connective tissue is there to where it sounds like QR.  The thing to remember is, love or hate Todd and Parker, they are both immense fans of the  band's classic era, and have really done their homework and put in the time to emulate what made the band's sound what it was.  Now, if you want to say that the emotion is gone, and it sounds like someone trying to mimmick QR, I think that's fair.  I disagree, but I get where you could feel that way.  But it does sound like what should have been the natural evolution of QR, and it sounds good.

Well...yes and no.  Through Promised Land, Scott was one of my favorite drummers.  He may not have been able to touch Peart in terms of technicality.  But he was still a beast, and one of the most talented and creative drummers in metal.  On HITNF, he severely simplified things, and that was intentional on that album. 

After that...I'm not really sure what happened.  Quite often, he sounded like a "dumbed down" version of himself.  And I don't mean that as an insult.  But a lot of the technicality, the power, and the groove that was signature Scott just wasn't there a lot of the time.  Not sure why.  But in his prime, I consider him to have been a very special drummer, and a crucial part of the signature QR sound.  The drumming is definitely different now.  But at least I feel they have done a fair job of keeping it technical and trying to at least capture that early vibe.

This is where you kind of lose me.  I mean, I'm not entirely sure what your point is, but you seem to be trying to say that Mindcrime was nothing special and trying to downplay its significance.  I disagree with that.  Yeah, there were concept albums/rock operas before it.  And in many ways, maybe Mindcrime, on paper, is "just another rock opera."  But it had a HUGE impact.  And it WAS groundbreaking at the time.  Honestly, I don't think you can name another concept album/rock opera that had a bigger influence on metal concept albums that came after.  Yes, other bands have made them "bigger and better."  But you would be hard pressed to find many that weren't influenced in some way by Mindcrime.  To take DT as an example, they have been quite open about the fact that Mindcrime was a HUGE influence on SFAM. 

I'm not really sure why you also keep saying that Seventh Son was "before" Mindcrime, as if that has any significance.  It doesn't.  Yes, it was released technically about a month before Mindcrime was.  But think about it--one month.  It isn't as if Mindcrime somehow took elements of Seventh Son as inspiration.  It was already written and recorded long before the public heard a note of Seventh Son.  So, again, I'm not sure what significance you are trying to imply.

I also am not sure why you keep making the Scorpions parallel.  Not sure I hear it.  I mean, yeah, you've got that twin guitar attack.  But so did Maiden.  So did Priest.  I think QR did somewhat pattern themselves after that pattern.  But I'm not really hearing Scorpions more than any of those other bands.  I have no idea whether they consider Scorpions to be an influence.  But either way, again, I'm not sure what the point is.  They absolutely did have influences.  All bands do.  And as with a lot of successful bands, IMO, they took those influences and gradually made them their own, and came up with something that increasingly became more and more unique.  ...at least until Chris left and Tate eventually took over.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #5095 on: June 03, 2021, 03:47:35 AM »
And then there's this..

I mean, there is a part of me that admires the man for plowing on with his performance regardless after that first "I'll take you home" around the 2 minute mark. Oof.

I'd love to have sat down with Tate around R4O and pinned down his full vocal range and found out exactly where his natural speaking voice pitch sat and how much of that propensity to speak way down low, even way back in 84, is an affectation because he can. I used to sit alongside a guy at a choir whose speaking voice was pretty much on the same pitch as my light baritone voice and then during warm ups he'd start going down the scale and go well below a C2, into basso profundo territory, much lower than I could go*... range goes both ways.

R4O is an absolutely brutal set of songs to sing for anyone to sing unless they have a really high tenor voice to start with or have world class range and exceptional technique. Tate was the latter.

That he's having a go at singing the whole album decades later, now into his 60s, is a big ask so I don't expect to hear him pinching out every last high note that's in there and for some of the unrelenting high sections I have no issue with him making significant modifications but the end result is such a mixed bag. At times he sounds like he's going to have to go off stage and have a lie down for 20 minutes... at times he's not modifying what he's singing sensibly and absolutely mangles it... at other times I find myself genuinely impressed with what he's doing.

I think what's so odd, to the point of acute Fremdschämen, about it all is that Tate still really tries to, commendably I think, put a bit of theatre into his performance but this is expressed by quite a bit of strutting and preening his way around the stage like he's nailing it and there's times when he's really, really not.

R4O is a fantastic album, btw. You could hear Tate trying to get his innate theatricality into The Warning but about half the time it sounds a bit disconnected from what the rest of the band were doing. Between the two albums they really started to gel with Tate and the progression to R4O was enormous. Now, if I could sit down with DeGarmo or Wilton and find out who wrote what I'd be a happy man...

* overdoing it on whisky the night before, not withstanding.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5096 on: June 03, 2021, 04:03:58 AM »
I hear ya ,,,,but the EP and Warning were not like anything else in so many ways and to me way above anything other than Judas, but I never felt other than Tates voice Judas and QR had much in common at all . Judas was not as serious as Tates Vocals and lyrics and , think of Roads to Madness and that song in itself was unlike anything else etc  It was fun time for metal, but so much was mediocre think of White Lion that came out abut the same time and so many just meh stuff, Anthrax wiith Fistfull was unique and Metallica was also bringin in a new sound ,  to me so was Ryche

Although I'd argue against the EP having that more serious quality (The Lady Wore Black is the only thing that feels a bit more sombre and serious, with the rest bearing that fun, escapist vibe of a lot of early 80s metal), I can definitely agree that Warning in a way marks a major turning towards metal that was much more mature. I do however think that Judas Priest were an important stepping stone in that progression with Sad Wings of Destiny, even if it had moments of levity in stuff like The Ripper. Dreamer Deceiver, Epitaph and Genocide for instance are pretty lyrically sombre I think. Even still, it's still not to the extent of Queensryche and I can definitely see how they brought a grandeur and emotional weight to the genre that wasn't wholly there before, so that does help me place the importance of the band more clearly.

Well...yes and no.  Through Promised Land, Scott was one of my favorite drummers.  He may not have been able to touch Peart in terms of technicality.  But he was still a beast, and one of the most talented and creative drummers in metal.  On HITNF, he severely simplified things, and that was intentional on that album. 

After that...I'm not really sure what happened.  Quite often, he sounded like a "dumbed down" version of himself.  And I don't mean that as an insult.  But a lot of the technicality, the power, and the groove that was signature Scott just wasn't there a lot of the time.  Not sure why.  But in his prime, I consider him to have been a very special drummer, and a crucial part of the signature QR sound.  The drumming is definitely different now.  But at least I feel they have done a fair job of keeping it technical and trying to at least capture that early vibe.

Maybe I need another listen then. I do remember Empire (and Promised Land iirc) having some really interesting rhythmic moments, but OM felt a little more straight ahead to me. Nothing wrong with that of course and I wouldn't have wanted anything else for the style, but on OM I kind of felt like he came off like a drum machine, at times pretty much just keeping the beat (with exceptions of course, like Spreading the Disease, Speak and Suite Sister Mary where he tries out some more unique beats for the song)... which ironically would fit the theme very well. OM has always been far more of a show of slick, effective songwriting than a work of virtuosic musicianship to me, so I'm less inclined to praise the members in that context, even if they do what they do on that album very effectively, Scott very much included in how he firmly drives the music along. I don't know, maybe I'm making the mistake of judging him by modern standards (comparing him to the drum work in bands like DT, Haken and Leprous) or am remembering things wrong.

This is where you kind of lose me.  I mean, I'm not entirely sure what your point is, but you seem to be trying to say that Mindcrime was nothing special and trying to downplay its significance.  I disagree with that.  Yeah, there were concept albums/rock operas before it.  And in many ways, maybe Mindcrime, on paper, is "just another rock opera."  But it had a HUGE impact.  And it WAS groundbreaking at the time.  Honestly, I don't think you can name another concept album/rock opera that had a bigger influence on metal concept albums that came after.  Yes, other bands have made them "bigger and better."  But you would be hard pressed to find many that weren't influenced in some way by Mindcrime.  To take DT as an example, they have been quite open about the fact that Mindcrime was a HUGE influence on SFAM. 

I'm not really sure why you also keep saying that Seventh Son was "before" Mindcrime, as if that has any significance.  It doesn't.  Yes, it was released technically about a month before Mindcrime was.  But think about it--one month.  It isn't as if Mindcrime somehow took elements of Seventh Son as inspiration.  It was already written and recorded long before the public heard a note of Seventh Son.  So, again, I'm not sure what significance you are trying to imply.

I also am not sure why you keep making the Scorpions parallel.  Not sure I hear it.  I mean, yeah, you've got that twin guitar attack.  But so did Maiden.  So did Priest.  I think QR did somewhat pattern themselves after that pattern.  But I'm not really hearing Scorpions more than any of those other bands.  I have no idea whether they consider Scorpions to be an influence.  But either way, again, I'm not sure what the point is.  They absolutely did have influences.  All bands do.  And as with a lot of successful bands, IMO, they took those influences and gradually made them their own, and came up with something that increasingly became more and more unique.  ...at least until Chris left and Tate eventually took over.  :lol

Well, just to clarify, I think that in the larger scheme of things, Operation Mindcrime was groundbreaking... in the sense that it was very much the first metal opera sort of thing, within the format itself in its context. I also won't deny that it's a huge influence from what came after. It was certainly an important album. I will also concede that, while I listed Seventh Son as beating OM to the title of first metal concept album... it was a somewhat half-baked one, even by their own admission and definitely didn't have that full rock opera construction like OM did. However, I very much come from the perspective that most musical evolution is iterative. I wasn't necessarily meaning to refer to Scorpions (but rather that general scene of where melodic late 70s heavy metal was heading), so perhaps repeating that example was a mistake, although certain songs do give me a Queensryche vibe moreso than Iron Maiden or Judas Priest due to the more sort of mid-paced vibe with the straight ahead beats, as well as the way the backing vocals are layered on a song like Revolution Calling, which I don't see as much in Iron Maiden or Judas Priest and see a bit more in Scoprions with stuff like Rock You Like a Hurricane. I do think that on a pure musical front, Operation Mindcrime is less innovative than something like Rage for Order, but in terms of its general status in terms of its format, its capacity to show how theatrical metal could be, it does certainly equal or even exceed it. I don't think something like Revolution Calling, Speak or Breaking the Silence is more unique than a Neue Regel or Screaming in Digital, though.

I'd also make a similar argument for any of the bands I listed too, I'm certainly in agreement that all bands are a product of their influences. It's mainly something I find fascinating to trace, but I'll admit that I could have missed the mark.

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #5097 on: June 03, 2021, 05:46:18 AM »
I will also concede that, while I listed Seventh Son as beating OM to the title of first metal concept album... it was a somewhat half-baked one, even by their own admission and definitely didn't have that full rock opera construction like OM did.

King Diamond's Abigail came out in 1987 :police:
I'm sure there were others even earlier, that I am unaware of.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:04:37 AM by Setzer »

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5098 on: June 03, 2021, 07:37:37 AM »
King Diamond's Abigail came out in 1987 :police:
I'm sure there were others even earlier, that I am unaware of.

Oh yeah, true. I forgot about that in this context because it's very different tonally from both with that ghost story vibe, but not only does Abigail pre-date Seventh Son, but it's also a fuller and more coherent concept. Fatal Portrait is also sort of a borderline example like Rush's 2112 in that there's a story suite, but it doesn't comprise the full album.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5099 on: June 03, 2021, 09:54:21 AM »

Enigma, I'm right there with you on this.  Nobody has to like Todd-era QR.  And, sure, there are plenty of elements you could point to that are different now from the classic era.  That is inevitable.  But you are dead-on about the similarities.  If you froze me in a time capsule after HITNF, woke me up in 2021, and played me Tribe, and then the three Todd-era albums, and just told me that Chris left and only contributed to about half of Tribe, and didn't tell me anything else, I'm pretty sure my reaction would be:  OK, I totally hear the evolution in their sound from the classic line-up era, to Tribe, to the s/t>Condition Human>Verdict.  I think any fan not named Epicview would go, "Yeah, sounds like QR to a modern edge to me."  Yes, some elements of their sound and their writing changed.  But the band always did that.  That was one of the things I loved about them when I discovered them during the classic era and they were my favorite band:  their sound changed and evolved from album to album, and often reflected what was going on in the music industry at the time, without necessarily being that.  So, yeah, a lot is different about the Todd-era albums.  But the connective tissue is there to where it sounds like QR.  The thing to remember is, love or hate Todd and Parker, they are both immense fans of the  band's classic era, and have really done their homework and put in the time to emulate what made the band's sound what it was.  Now, if you want to say that the emotion is gone, and it sounds like someone trying to mimmick QR, I think that's fair.  I disagree, but I get where you could feel that way.  But it does sound like what should have been the natural evolution of QR, and it sounds good.

great read and post Boss... On Scott, I thought he was really fantastic on Tribe, his drumming to me was very much a key element that makes that album a truly great one,   I disagree on the Verdict, I listened to it 3 times yesterday really trying, I have to say I really dislike it and Id never think it was QR,  I really wanted to be swayed but Im not, if anything I found it boring, and just shlocky formula and just odd changes in songs to just say "its cool and we can do that "  the song dark reverie I found really uncomfortable and dont hear anything QR in it. but as we have discussed this all really super subjective , I find it fascinating many tiunk it does sound like QR, thats why I wanted to really try again with that CD.  at this point Id not see QR and to be honest Im not sure Id even go see Tate as Ive seen him so many times, I may, I may not.    I know this sounds really wild but I am super curious what Scottyryche will be, I dont think it will sound like old original QR, I just want to know what madness hes up to !!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5100 on: June 03, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »
I think the discomfort of Dark Reverie is sort of the point. It's a dark, intense ballad which fits in with how the album as a whole is tonally their darkest and edgiest (or at the very least heaviest). As such, it's a bit more abrasive and the hooks aren't as smooth as Tate's but again, that feels like the idea, what with Todd La Torre generally being much more of a fan of heavier music. It's pretty evident on Todd's solo album, where the songs are often thrashy and aggressive, which feels very appropriate for his voice. On uptempo tracks like Blood of the Levant and Man the Machine, there's almost the feeling that they'd belond on something like that album. There's a bit more dissonance and darkness than is typical for a Queensryche track on those I think, though the latter isn't too far stylistically from somthing like Deliverance otherwise.

Also, probaby best to snip quoted messages when they're that long, just for the sake of space.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5101 on: June 03, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
I think the discomfort of Dark Reverie is sort of the point. It's a dark, intense ballad which fits in with how the album as a whole is tonally their darkest and edgiest (or at the very least heaviest). As such, it's a bit more abrasive and the hooks aren't as smooth as Tate's but again, that feels like the idea, what with Todd La Torre generally being much more of a fan of heavier music. It's pretty evident on Todd's solo album, where the songs are often thrashy and aggressive, which feels very appropriate for his voice. On uptempo tracks like Blood of the Levant and Man the Machine, there's almost the feeling that they'd belond on something like that album. There's a bit more dissonance and darkness than is typical for a Queensryche track on those I think, though the latter isn't too far stylistically from somthing like Deliverance otherwise.

Also, probaby best to snip quoted messages when they're that long, just for the sake of space.

I dont like it,,, I find it annoying and a bore. Not a fan of his voice at all either,  the  guy was a zero until he bumped into Wilton at Namm, was known as a drummer and not a singer but could do a good Tate impersonation.  He doesnt do a thing for me, I hate his stage presence even more than his voice .  I simply dont see any of what you see at all and thats fine its all subjective, some here are very down on Tate at age 62 and after 40 years of touring .  I give Todd credit for taking over QR and taking control of the band even as an employee  that Im impressed by !! LOL

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5102 on: June 03, 2021, 11:12:33 AM »
I dont like it,,, I find it annoying and a bore. Not a fan of his voice at all either,  the  guy was a zero until he bumped into Wilton at Namm, was known as a drummer and not a singer but could do a good Tate impersonation.  He doesnt do a thing for me, I hate his stage presence even more than his voice .  I simply dont see any of what you see at all and thats fine its all subjective, some here are very down on Tate at age 62 and after 40 years of touring .  I give Todd credit for taking over QR and taking control of the band even as an employee  that Im impressed by !! LOL

Well for starters, you not being a fan of his voice doesn't mean you can't at least respect what he does, because I'm not necessarily trying to get you to like The Verdict or Todd era Queensryche. You also have your history wrong because he was the lead singer of Crimson Glory for a few years before switching to QR. That's not exactly a minor gig, particularly for someone familiar with the US power metal scene of the 80s. He's also ludicrously dedicated to his craft. The drum parts on his solo album and The Verdict don't exactly sound easy to play, yet he manages to do both that and a highly impressive vocal performance (again, regardless of tastes, it's undeniable that the man has a vast range and a ton of power). Quotes like this really show the kind of creative energy he has: "Wilton sent him four demos via email, and although he expected to get something back from La Torre in about 4 weeks, La Torre sent back the first demo with lyrics and a melody after only three days". I think it's fair to say that he's established himself as a legitimate member of the band, not just an employee, regardless of whether that's liked by everyone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5103 on: June 03, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
I know this sounds really wild but I am super curious what Scottyryche will be, I dont think it will sound like old original QR, I just want to know what madness hes up to !!

I'm not, and for a couple of reasons.

First off, it seems like he is doing this solely for attention, leverage, or some other reason that has nothing to do with producing "Queensryche" music.  That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product.  And aside from the actual product, I find it incredibly offputting.

Second, and more importantly, I haven't cared for anything I have heard Scott do outside of Queensryche.  Granted, I only have heard his stuff with Paul Speer and Slave To the Susan System.  But while I respect the effort and the creativity, I didn't find the music itself to be very good. 

Now, maybe I'm being a bit premature, and he can come up with something magical with the right writing partner.  Despite #1, I will give it a listen.  But given point #1, he has a pretty high hurdle to clear for me before I would actually buy it.  And given point #2, his track record outside of QR gives me no reason to believe he can come close to clearing that hurdle.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5104 on: June 03, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
I know this sounds really wild but I am super curious what Scottyryche will be, I dont think it will sound like old original QR, I just want to know what madness hes up to !!

I'm not, and for a couple of reasons.

First off, it seems like he is doing this solely for attention, leverage, or some other reason that has nothing to do with producing "Queensryche" music.  That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product.  And aside from the actual product, I find it incredibly offputting.

Second, and more importantly, I haven't cared for anything I have heard Scott do outside of Queensryche.  Granted, I only have heard his stuff with Paul Speer and Slave To the Susan System.  But while I respect the effort and the creativity, I didn't find the music itself to be very good. 

Now, maybe I'm being a bit premature, and he can come up with something magical with the right writing partner.  Despite #1, I will give it a listen.  But given point #1, he has a pretty high hurdle to clear for me before I would actually buy it.  And given point #2, his track record outside of QR gives me no reason to believe he can come close to clearing that hurdle.

Boss    I think Scottyryche will be some sort of industrial stuff or not for me, but like Ive said for a few years now NONE of the music post Tribe by QR has been good to my ears.  Ive enjoyed some of Tates stuff for sure , I enjoyed Reinventing the Future ( went back and listened to it and I still enjoyed it a good amount for sure) and some of those songs they do remind me of QR, but not all of Tates stuff has been for me, I do like about half of the Sweet Oblivion songs. ........so to my meandering point. I like the DRAMA of all of it more than really any of the output of music, thats why Im "excited " LOL 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5105 on: June 03, 2021, 11:53:17 AM »

The only Queensryche albums I listen to are Operation:Mind Crime, Empire and the last 3 they've done with Todd.  I have no desire to ever hear any of the other albums in their catalog again.  It's just a taste thing I guess.   

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5106 on: June 03, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »

Well for starters, you not being a fan of his voice doesn't mean you can't at least respect what he does, because I'm not necessarily trying to get you to like The Verdict or Todd era Queensryche. You also have your history wrong because he was the lead singer of Crimson Glory for a few years before switching to QR. That's not exactly a minor gig, particularly for someone familiar with the US power metal scene of the 80s. He's also ludicrously dedicated to his craft. The drum parts on his solo album and The Verdict don't exactly sound easy to play, yet he manages to do both that and a highly impressive vocal performance (again, regardless of tastes, it's undeniable that the man has a vast range and a ton of power). Quotes like this really show the kind of creative energy he has: "Wilton sent him four demos via email, and although he expected to get something back from La Torre in about 4 weeks, La Torre sent back the first demo with lyrics and a melody after only three days". I think it's fair to say that he's established himself as a legitimate member of the band, not just an employee, regardless of whether that's liked by everyone.

he was in CG for a minute again playing fill in "imposter" to a great singer who sadly passed away  CG was far from a big band here in the USA... I really have no love for the guy and Im not here to wax about his skill,  if he was in Tates league at age 20 hed be a star  he was a replacement at best at age 40,  If you like him that super duper and enjoy, I dont like really anyone thats left in QR as its formed today. I dont see them as a super talented group just a band living off the old name QR. I dont think Wilton is very good and Jackson who really cares ,  the true core is long gone with Chris, Geoff and now Scott all gone, its wild the band is really now Todd and Parker and to me I have no interest, Ive listened to all their stuff and none of it feels like QR to me none of it is timeless and none of it hits any meaning inside me, Im not a fan of any of them as they are constructed today. I dont even like Caseys drumming .... so its a wrap for me as far as the music , I follow them for DRAMA and as Ive said many times I think their music would best suited  to be under another name other than QR which at this point IMO they no longer sound or feel like,  Its silly that they want to be all METAL now it feels odd and desperate even, its going backwards to me, Tate is at least aging well and to me that was part of the QR evolution that was the human experience in music, most of us older fans really were ok with that and it felt real , Im happy Tate is taking that path as it feel correct to me even if I dont like some of his music hes making.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:04:32 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5107 on: June 03, 2021, 11:55:46 AM »

The only Queensryche albums I listen to are Operation:Mind Crime, Empire and the last 3 they've done with Todd.  I have no desire to ever hear any of the other albums in their catalog again.  It's just a taste thing I guess.

Tribe? my fine nasal hair.....

I have really enjoyed rediscovering Tribe during covid   it felt like the mood of the nation again

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5108 on: June 03, 2021, 12:10:14 PM »
its funny many of us older QR fans think their unplugged session on MTV was beyond stellar and maybe their best performance in some ways,,, does anyone think Todd and the band can do that today? anything even close?  I dont think Todd can perform at all in an acoustic setting nor the band today.. Tate was still can with no net to catch him can still pull it off, not like he did at age 40 but can still do it right now. and for that I think hes really something special, I know hes lost a step but still at age 62?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5109 on: June 03, 2021, 12:30:30 PM »
Yeah, I've tried many times to like those other albums but they just don't do anything for me.  I don't really care for Rage For Order much either.