Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 717680 times)

Offline ozzy554

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4480 on: January 12, 2021, 03:54:06 PM »
If something fishy was going on why wait 4 years to say anything. I mean it could be a weird situation but they've done several tours and a full album without him and how he has that odd pot stirring post. I just don't get it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4481 on: January 12, 2021, 06:59:52 PM »
Scott is one hot mess lately.   He cant seem to just speak clearly, WTF.   the whole mess on his "status" is due to HIM!!
Sounds like you know more than the rest of us. Care to fill us in on what you know?

: )    No..   but we all know hes had a rough ride personally since the split.  the divorce and the new baby etc .. I think Scott didnt enjoy being the "leader" and the having the responsibility. I think it was a rough patch for him IMO all around and he likes his side projects etc,,, and then he chose to go silent as we all waited,  I have no issue with any of it actually and wish Scott the best always.
Back to the topic  : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4482 on: January 13, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
Scott is one hot mess lately.   He cant seem to just speak clearly, WTF.   the whole mess on his "status" is due to HIM!!
Sounds like you know more than the rest of us. Care to fill us in on what you know?

: )    No..   but we all know hes had a rough ride personally since the split.  the divorce and the new baby etc
Beyond the divorce and new baby, what else has been established as fact, though? There have been rumors that he had a downward spiral into drugs, which may or may not have been mentioned by Tater - can't remember - but what has been proven? I remember Scott posted a super dark photo of himself in his FB profile a year or so ago with a neck tattoo, IIRC. But other than that, there hasn't been much that's based on solid evidence, or am I forgetting something?

In any case, with regards to Scott's recent post, I can't help but think we've already been down this road once before. At least one year ago, either he or Eddie Trunk announced that he was gonna be on Eddie’s show and clear everything up...which never happened. And now this. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if some kinda underhanded business crap has been going on (and by this, I am saying Scott could be at least somewhat responsible, too), and because Scott can’t get resolution with the rest of the band in a way he wants, now he’s making noise to draw attention and force the band to address whatever issue it is, or else he’s gonna go public and air their dirty laundry. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what happened to the supposed Eddie Trunk appearance, and I’ll bet the same thing happens here, and Scott will never reveal anything.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4483 on: January 13, 2021, 09:28:30 AM »

: )    No..   but we all know hes had a rough ride personally since the split.  the divorce and the new baby etc
Beyond the divorce and new baby, what else has been established as fact, though? There have been rumors that he had a downward spiral into drugs, which may or may not have been mentioned by Tater - can't remember - but what has been proven? I remember Scott posted a super dark photo of himself in his FB profile a year or so ago with a neck tattoo, IIRC. But other than that, there hasn't been much that's based on solid evidence, or am I forgetting something?

In any case, with regards to Scott's recent post, I can't help but think we've already been down this road once before. At least one year ago, either he or Eddie Trunk announced that he was gonna be on Eddie’s show and clear everything up...which never happened. And now this. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if some kinda underhanded business crap has been going on (and by this, I am saying Scott could be at least somewhat responsible, too), and because Scott can’t get resolution with the rest of the band in a way he wants, now he’s making noise to draw attention and force the band to address whatever issue it is, or else he’s gonna go public and air their dirty laundry. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what happened to the supposed Eddie Trunk appearance, and I’ll bet the same thing happens here, and Scott will never reveal anything.

I agree with your post,.. I dont think Scott will follow up with anything either, I think his words were more about QR going back into the studio and him not being part of it, I think its more legal squawking on who will be on the CD and touring contracts, and how he will get paid as a stock owner or be bought out. Id also bet the terms of his divorce, alimony etc comes into play. its always about the money as its a business
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4484 on: January 13, 2021, 09:45:07 AM »
This might have just been a drunken FB post out of spite that will have zero follow up

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4485 on: January 13, 2021, 10:46:08 AM »
I don't have any inside info on QR but maybe the band wanted to buyout Scott so Casey can go in as a full time member. 4 years of not contributing anything is nice for Scott but it has to suck (financially) for QR.

I know in the firm that I work with, they bought out an ex-owner but the payouts to that former owner lasted 2 years.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4486 on: January 13, 2021, 12:28:30 PM »
This is just silly!  If you read anything from MW or TLT, they never say he was kicked out.  He simply stopped communicating.  Wilton has gone on record as saying that "the door is alway open" if Scott wanted to come back.  They've presented a pretty solid story from their side how they held out as long as they could for him to come back.  And, when he didn't, they moved on.  Once again, never saying he was fired or kicked out.  As for Eddie Trunk, ET has said that people often commit to appearing without thinking things through (or speaking with their lawyers) and these appearances never materialize.  That's probably the case here, especially if the main issue is financial.

Like everyone here has already said, if you're not going to tell your side of the story, just keep your mouth shut! 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4487 on: January 13, 2021, 12:38:02 PM »
Couldn't care less about what Scott may have to say. For some reason or another he wasn't there when the TLT-Queensryche put out their best record to date.

So this is much more interesting imo:

La Torre just retweeted Zeuss...

“And so it begins..#Rÿche#4”
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #4488 on: January 14, 2021, 02:30:54 AM »
I don't have any inside info on QR but maybe the band wanted to buyout Scott so Casey can go in as a full time member. 4 years of not contributing anything is nice for Scott but it has to suck (financially) for QR.

Well quite. I would imagine there's clauses in the band agreements regarding their shareholdings that does require them to actually contribute, not just sit on their arse drawing down their dividend at the end of the year.

IIRC there was at least one band where a member was unable to fulfill their duties and they basically deducted what was required to be paid for a touring musician from that member's dividend, so maybe QR's management have ended up doing something similar... at least after a while when it became clear Scott just wasn't going to contribute.

Anyway, all speculation on my part (and I'm really not sure I do remember correctly wrt hat last paragraph) so who knows. I'd much rather Rockenfield drumming than TLT and Casey Grillo but if it's what they need to do to keep functioning then so be it. I still think Wilton/Jackson have a few more great tunes in them that I want to hear.

If he has something to say, just say it and stop acting like a teenager vaguebooking for the attention.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4490 on: January 18, 2021, 09:05:26 PM »
Composing new album with Casey on drums:👍
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-queensryche-drummer-casey-grillo-is-involved-in-songwriting-for-next-album/?fbclid=IwAR2qhTGOjTGsKx02WbRGi8MbdtSMOuEZ5m4s3mHBx2dDfvjzjOIZ9DQbXAU

Ooh, that's good news! Casey's a great drummer in his own right, there's no reason not to include him in the writing process moving forward.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4491 on: January 19, 2021, 12:58:53 PM »
All I know is that Id rather be Geoff with full ownership of OMCI and OMC !! in this crazy political climate and selling of  his stock at its near peak,  OMC has never been more relevant and that was by far the crown jewel of QR as a concept  band and band period.  IMO QR is long gone and what I call Toddsryche is different band , like Lynch Mob vs Don Dokken ... thats simply MY OPINION.
I really hope Scott is doing fine, and is healthy

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4492 on: January 27, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »
A new Sweet Oblivion album (but, not surpisingly, without Mularoni):
https://www.frontiers.shop/detail/index/sArticle/1146

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4493 on: January 27, 2021, 02:16:57 PM »

HIT ME, I'M READY!!! I spoke with Alessandro Del Vecchio and asked if it would follow the same path as the first one, and he said this one is even more Queensryche-y.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4494 on: January 27, 2021, 02:33:59 PM »

HIT ME, I'M READY!!! I spoke with Alessandro Del Vecchio and asked if it would follow the same path as the first one, and he said this one is even more Queensryche-y.

Which is strange since Simone wrote in a more Queensryche vein and he got ripped and Geoff tried to totally change the songs and the style in the other direction.  Weird.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4495 on: January 27, 2021, 02:36:20 PM »
I think Sweet Oblivion is a bit generic, but also it's good enough to just hear Geoff singing this kind of music again.
Let's see how it's gonna be the songwritting on this new one, it depends how good Aldo Lonobile (Secret Sphere, Timo Tolkki's Avalon, Archon Angel) can be.
I think Tobias Sammet could do an excellent melodic metal album, composing all the songs with Geoff's classic style in mind, like he did in the last 2 Avantasia's albums (on the songs sung by Geoff).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4496 on: January 29, 2021, 11:04:11 AM »
I guess I'll check out the new Sweet Oblivion album but I have to admit even though Geoff sounded fine on the last one I found it pretty forgettable.  It wasn't bad or even flawed in a major way other than just not being very compelling and every time I listened to it I was doing it more out of a feeling that eventually it would have to click, it just never did, even after a solid 10 listens front to back.  It had nothing to do with Geoff, though, I just didn't find it all that interesting.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4497 on: January 29, 2021, 11:40:20 AM »
I guess I'll check out the new Sweet Oblivion album but I have to admit even though Geoff sounded fine on the last one I found it pretty forgettable.  It wasn't bad or even flawed in a major way other than just not being very compelling and every time I listened to it I was doing it more out of a feeling that eventually it would have to click, it just never did, even after a solid 10 listens front to back.  It had nothing to do with Geoff, though, I just didn't find it all that interesting.

I liked it when it came out, but Geoff was so dismissive of it, and so not engaged when I interviewed him about the album, that it put me off. He was happier to talk about his tour playing Empire in full than he was to talk about Sweet Oblivion.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4498 on: January 29, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
Scott Rock just posted this on Facebook:

wanna hear a fun story? goes like this :
”Contrary to any statements or interviews coming from other parties, I most definitely 'did not' and 'have not' quit,  walked away, retired or abandoned Queensryche??!! ….unfortunately, you have not been given the facts by any means…”
a total cliffhanger right? ….
more soon

so, did anything actually come of this?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4499 on: January 29, 2021, 02:24:03 PM »
Scott Rock just posted this on Facebook:

wanna hear a fun story? goes like this :
”Contrary to any statements or interviews coming from other parties, I most definitely 'did not' and 'have not' quit,  walked away, retired or abandoned Queensryche??!! ….unfortunately, you have not been given the facts by any means…”
a total cliffhanger right? ….
more soon

so, did anything actually come of this?

Not yet. And I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4500 on: January 29, 2021, 05:17:06 PM »
New Todd song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERZTehe3M7o

This album is shaping up very nicely.

Really nice solo.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4501 on: January 29, 2021, 06:10:50 PM »
All I know is that Id rather be Geoff with full ownership of OMCI and OMC !! in this crazy political climate and selling of  his stock at its near peak,  OMC has never been more relevant and that was by far the crown jewel of QR as a concept  band and band period.  IMO QR is long gone and what I call Toddsryche is different band , like Lynch Mob vs Don Dokken ... thats simply MY OPINION.

When you say full ownership, that’s not strictly correct.  He’s just the only person who can play the whole thing from start to finish.  OMC II is an absolute pile of shite anyway and QR can still play whatever they want from the original album, just not the whole thing in one show which has been done to death anyway.  They could still do a show with Revolution Calling, Spreading The Disease, Suite Sister Mary, Breaking The Silence, I Don’t Believe In Love and Eyes Of A Stanger for example and that would leave plenty of fans happy.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #4502 on: January 29, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »
New Todd song;

Really nice solo.

Agreed CD/LP is on its way to me, really looking forward to hearing the whole album.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4503 on: January 29, 2021, 06:23:16 PM »
Unfortunately that was a big "meh" for me. Doesn't showcase his vocal ability. Repetitive and derivative of every thrash song ever. Also, totally forgettable solo. If you love thrash though, you'll enjoy it.

Agreed.  He’s actually put out another new song today which is more in a QR vein and showcases his vocals more but it’s nothing special unfortunately.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4504 on: January 29, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »
New Todd song;

Really nice solo.

Preordered!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4505 on: January 29, 2021, 09:00:34 PM »
New Todd song;

Really nice solo.

Preordered!

Might add this one to the list.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4506 on: February 04, 2021, 11:17:00 AM »
Holy balls. Just got this in the mail and it smokes (in a good way). Totally unexpected. Very heavy stuff and it showcases Todd's vocal capabilities (Tate, Halford, and some Ax Rose on this one).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4507 on: February 04, 2021, 11:47:14 AM »

When you say full ownership, that’s not strictly correct.  He’s just the only person who can play the whole thing from start to finish.  OMC II is an absolute pile of shite anyway and QR can still play whatever they want from the original album, just not the whole thing in one show which has been done to death anyway.  They could still do a show with Revolution Calling, Spreading The Disease, Suite Sister Mary, Breaking The Silence, I Don’t Believe In Love and Eyes Of A Stanger for example and that would leave plenty of fans happy.

Good point.  Probably should have been mentioned earlier.  But I suspect that when most see "Epicview," they just assume "troll" and don't bother to read anyway.

As for the Todd song, I agree with the last few posts.  The first couple didn't really grab me at all, but this one is really good.  When I saw the title, I was like, "Um...Roads To Madness, anyone?"  Then when the soft guitar started, and the low vocals, I started laughing to myself.  Todd sometimes really has a problem escaping his influences.  But that said, once the song really gets going, it clearly has its own identity.  Not bad at all.

Not sure why Sweet Oblivion is being discussed in this thread.  I don't even know what Sweet Oblivion is, but what does it have to do with Queensryche?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4508 on: February 04, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »

Not sure why Sweet Oblivion is being discussed in this thread.  I don't even know what Sweet Oblivion is, but what does it have to do with Queensryche?

Geoff on vocals. The first one is really good (DGM guitarist wrote it). For the 2nd one, DelVechio (part of the Frontiers Factory) wrote it. Not sure what to expect from the 2nd one.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4509 on: February 04, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »

But I suspect that when most see "Epicview," they just assume "troll" and don't bother to read anyway.

In the context of this thread, you are not wrong. I always expect a shot at Todd and/or the current QR lineup and then words of praise aimed at Geoff.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4510 on: February 04, 2021, 12:49:31 PM »
I've tried to get into these songs, but I can't get passed the sampled drums.  Rather than listening to the songs, I'm trying to figure out which preset they used from Superior Drummer 3.  I'm spending my time thinking, "is that the Andy Sneap preset?  Or is it Jens Bogren?" and it takes me right out of the ability to listen to it.  I hope the album does well for him, but it's not working for me.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4511 on: February 04, 2021, 12:49:47 PM »

But I suspect that when most see "Epicview," they just assume "troll" and don't bother to read anyway.

In the context of this thread, you are not wrong. I always expect a shot at Todd and/or the current QR lineup and then words of praise aimed at Geoff.

And that's pretty much what we get.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4512 on: February 04, 2021, 12:51:17 PM »
I’ve really soured on Todd’s vocals since he took over for Tate and these new songs reaffirm I just don’t like the way he sings.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4513 on: February 04, 2021, 02:38:08 PM »
Opinions are always fascinating to me because I think Todd is the best thing to happen to QR since they parted ways with Geoff Tate, which was LONG overdue.  The last 3 albums with him are the best music they've released in 20 years

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4514 on: February 04, 2021, 03:00:07 PM »
Opinions are always fascinating to me because I think Todd is the best thing to happen to QR since they parted ways with Geoff Tate, which was LONG overdue.  The last 3 albums with him are the best music they've released in 20 years

Couldn't agree more.  And I would probably go a bit past 20 years. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."