Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 707053 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4375 on: June 25, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »
I thought Condition human was more consistent than The Verdict. But there are some great songs on both.  :tup

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4376 on: July 10, 2020, 05:35:37 AM »
It looks like Scott Rock has surfaced and updated his facebook cover and profile photos a few days ago. And it looks like he got some ink, including snake-looking neck tattoo. :o
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4377 on: July 10, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »
It looks like Scott Rock has surfaced and updated his facebook cover and profile photos a few days ago. And it looks like he got some ink, including snake-looking neck tattoo. :o

Unless I’m on the wrong page, his Facebook hasn’t been update since 2013.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4378 on: July 10, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
You might be on the wrong page. Just checked myself, and he posted a super dark photo of himself on July 7th with said tattoos showing.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4379 on: July 10, 2020, 11:27:10 AM »
It would be nice if Scott made a statement of some kind, whether it’s a short one or not, about him leaving QR. But I totally understand and respect if he chooses not to; it really is a private matter. But regardless nice to see him back.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4380 on: July 10, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
You might be on the wrong page. Just checked myself, and he posted a super dark photo of himself on July 7th with said tattoos showing.

Weird, I can’t find his page while on Facebook, but if I google it it comes up. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4381 on: October 13, 2020, 10:11:13 AM »
For all of you Queensryche fans out there, a new #HeavyMetal guide called Rusted Metal has a huge spread on the band, including a new interview with Kim Harris, QR's first manager. Check out my review here:

www.anybodylistening.net/rustedmetal.html

If you like what you read, there's a link to pre-order at the end of the article.

Thanks to James R. Beach and Brian Naron for the advance copy and for their time. Damn good stuff on a ton of bands here, Queensryche, Fifth Angel, Sanctuary, Nevermore, Alice in Chains, everyone you can think of. Amazing work.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4382 on: October 13, 2020, 10:18:45 AM »
Checked your link Brian.

While I wouldn't be interested in the book as a whole, I would love to hear Dianna and Kim Harris have to say about those early days.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4383 on: October 13, 2020, 02:05:40 PM »
Checked your link Brian.
By that, I think Timmy means the link at the end of the review - got a strange message when I clicked the link.

Honestly, the only things that would probably be of interest to me would be the stories about QR, Myth (assuming they're in there) and maybe Heart, Metal Church, AIC and Soundgarden. Is Myth talked about in there as separate from QR, or just as part of the QR story?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4384 on: October 13, 2020, 09:32:13 PM »
Checked your link Brian.
By that, I think Timmy means the link at the end of the review - got a strange message when I clicked the link.

Honestly, the only things that would probably be of interest to me would be the stories about QR, Myth (assuming they're in there) and maybe Heart, Metal Church, AIC and Soundgarden. Is Myth talked about in there as separate from QR, or just as part of the QR story?

Link WAS good, but yep, unfortunate timing, as apparently something went wonky with the site some time between when I posted it here and when you and Tim first checked it out. I've let them know to fix it.

Yes, MYTH is talked about separately. The book is about the scene and the bands from it, not about Queensryche (but since my site covers Queensryche, 95 percent of the content of the site looks at the QR angle of things first before moving on to the rest. So yes, literally every hard rock and metal band that was from Seattle was profiled in the book. It's pretty crazy. A big labor of love from the authors.

Hopefully they can fix the site soon (such unfortunate timing) so folks can take a look at what formats they are offering. I know the paperback edition is 34.95. That's the one I ordered. But it's 900+ pages and oversized (it's not like a paperback novel), so for me, with my love of Northwest Metal, it is absolutely worth it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4385 on: October 14, 2020, 06:20:52 AM »
NO, I meant I checked BRIAN'S link and blog. NOT the book link... :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4386 on: October 14, 2020, 07:20:25 AM »

Thanks for reading it Tim. But I'm glad Scott said something about the book link. That really sucks for the guys who wrote it. Hopefully they get it fixed soon (it's still broken).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4387 on: October 14, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »
Link works for me

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4388 on: October 14, 2020, 08:07:22 AM »

Thanks for reading it Tim. But I'm glad Scott said something about the book link. That really sucks for the guys who wrote it. Hopefully they get it fixed soon (it's still broken).

Man, God bless you, Samsara. I still routinely visit anybodylistening.net (and have for years and years) and sincerely appreciate the thoughts and observations you post there.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4389 on: October 14, 2020, 09:11:07 AM »
Thanks man! That's really nice of you to say. Appreciate it!  :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4390 on: October 15, 2020, 07:11:07 PM »
The Rusted Metal link has been fixed. Apparenrky the host chsnges a few thimgs and the ssl certiricate (guessing thsts the securiry) needed to be upgraded. Eirher way, for those interested in the book, its safe to click on the link in my article.

Thanks for letting me know, Scotty. The authors appreciated it.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4391 on: October 15, 2020, 08:44:40 PM »
The Rusted Metal link has been fixed. Apparenrky the host chsnges a few thimgs and the ssl certiricate (guessing thsts the securiry) needed to be upgraded. Eirher way, for those interested in the book, its safe to click on the link in my article.

Thanks for letting me know, Scotty. The authors appreciated it.

Turned your spellcheck off I see. 😉

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4392 on: October 15, 2020, 08:54:24 PM »
He downloaded the Kingshmegland app.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4393 on: October 15, 2020, 08:59:29 PM »
That looks more like a seizure,  not being me.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4394 on: October 16, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »

Turned your spellcheck off I see. 😉

He downloaded the Kingshmegland app.

That looks more like a seizure,  not being me.  :lol

That's what I get typing from my phone.  :lol

Have a good weekend everyone!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4395 on: December 04, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »
QUEENSRŸCHE SINGER TODD LA TORRE TO RELEASE DEBUT SOLO ALBUM ‘REJOICE IN THE SUFFERING’

https://lotsofmuzik.com/todd-la-torre-to-release-solo-album-rejoice-in-the-suffering/

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4396 on: December 04, 2020, 08:04:10 PM »
Took a leap of faith and ordered TLT's solo cd. I have liked a lot what he has done with Queensryche. Let's see how it goes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4399 on: December 09, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »
Wow! That is awful.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4400 on: December 09, 2020, 04:47:37 PM »
Jesus, so young. I feel for his daughter so much. My dad died suddenly at 55, you don't expect them to go even when they're in the hospital and it looks serious, you just figure they'll make it and then receive a nasty shock.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4402 on: December 10, 2020, 12:54:49 PM »
Jason was one of my closest friends. The phrases "brother" and "family" are often overused, but they aren't in this case. He called my family his family, and I was, as far as he was concerned, a blood relative. He would do anything for me, and I would do the same. This isn't unexpected, given how sick he was a few years back. He overcame it, but his body took a hit that few people recover from. He did. Somehow. But everything about his life was shattered back then. He took the hits, kept getting up.

In recent years he changed a bit. It was all about reconnecting with people. He knew he was on borrowed time and said that often to me. We talked like we always did on the phone. It was more frequent. Back in the Queensryche days, we'd have three-hour conversations every other month with studio hangs a couple times a year. Now it was more like 30-minute chats every other week. We made it a point to get together once a year, no matter where he was (LA, Bay Area, etc.) as a family. When he was very sick, we met him in LA and it went unspoken that he thought he had weeks to live. You could see it. The treatments he was going through, the lifestyle he was being forced to live because of finances, etc. But once he recovered and moved back up to the Bay, he was all about love. For everyone. He did work in music, uncredited, not paid, just to help friends and enjoy it. He picked strawberries at one point. He didn't care. He just wanted to enjoy the time he had.

He tried moving to North Carolina and drove cross-country (oh the stories about that one - lol). He made stops in Arizona, all over the place, and then came right back to Palo Alto. During COVID, he started cooking for elderly neighbors, leaving full meals on their doorsteps. Not once, but weekly, for five, six sets of neighbors. Whenever he could. He lived simply, frugally. He didn't have anything really left except himself. He just kept getting up every morning and enjoyed each day.

Jason was FAR from perfect. Not saying he was this Zen Master or anything. He had his demons which got him in trouble. And he did over these past few years for sure. But again, he knew he was on borrowed time. Because of COVID, we didn't have our annual dinner this year. It's a huge regret, but nothing was open at the time.

He called me in August I think it was, maybe September, saying he had a big decision to make. The place he was staying in Palo Alto was not going to be an option soon. He could go to Hawaii, live rent free and work for a friend (non-music), or he could go back to LA and see what that brought. Seeing the latter as an unstable option, I begrudgingly admitted that if those were his only options, living in paradise wasn't a bad deal. Even though it meant not seeing him too often. A couple of days later he texted and said he was doing it and was going to try and see everyone he could.

We had just bought a new house and moved, my daughter had started school (back in school full time), it wasn't going to happen in the short timeframe he wanted it to. I wish we would have done it anyway. Those last weeks on the mainland, he helped organize a charity raising money for cancer research. He called everyone in his book. Many chose not to take part. Rudy Sarzo did, and I was on the Zoom call that he appeared on, answering questions for people and chatting. Slater wanted no credit. He said he just wanted to do what he could.

We talked briefly, for 27 minutes, 27 seconds on September 23. Right before he left for Hawaii. I think he knew he was sick. It was a quick call on a Wednesday morning. I don't even remember what we talked about honestly. Probably the charity a little bit. But knowing how long our chats could go (27 minutes may have been the shortest real conversation we ever had - lol), and I was working, I sort of cut him off and told him to be safe and I'd talk to him soon and that I loved him. "Love you too brother" was his reply, and that was it. You could tell he wanted to say more. I feel bad I cut him off (but again, if you knew the man, you sort of had to - lol).

I never spoke to him again.

You may think that odd, but remember, while odd for most, there were stretches of time that he disappeared. Months even. I didn't think much of it, knowing he got to Hawaii, after seeing a photo on Facebook. I honestly figured about mid-October, he was just enjoying life and I'd talk to him over the holidays. A couple more weeks went by, and I thought it odd he didn't call around my daughter's birthday. My wife and I laughed it off, nervously, even though we had a weird feeling something bad was going on. I figured he was probably doing a bit too much partying.

Little did I know he was hiding being sick. His daughter, the light of his life, didn't even know apparently until some point in November. My guess it was late November when she found out. I reached out via text on Thanksgiving. I got back a response that was gibberish. I replied "What?" and got more gibberish. I should have called. I should have reached out to his daughter, and thought about it, and didn't. Apparently, he had been admitted to hospice and wasn't really coherent. But I had no idea, and figured (because he'd done it before) lost his phone and some moron in Hawaii was messing with it. It didn't feel right, particularly since he was off social media and didn't respond to those messages either, but there wasn't anything I could do. I would have called, but I honestly thought his phone had been stolen.

I was going to try again this week, and then found out from his daughter early yesterday. He passed peacefully from liver failure (as the vultures from TMZ reported).

I'm gutted, but thankfully, we said everything to each other and there was unconditional love between us and Slater. I wish I would have called, but given he hid what was going on, maybe he preferred us to remember his smiling face and wit, as opposed to the sadness. Either way, my wife, daughter and I lost a big part of our lives yesterday. GREAT memories. I will always remember that laugh and his smile. He was particularly proud of his new teeth (a dentist friend of him set him up with new teeth after his ultimately had to be replaced). Ha ha ha.

Thanks for reading if you still are. I haven't opened up much. I always write when things like this happen. I just couldn't yesterday. I want to blog about his music stories and all the memories and all that...and I will, in time. But I just miss my brother. I'm happy he's pain free, and I'm thankful our paths crossed in life. Biggest heart I've ever seen. He gave his everything to everyone, all of the time. Rest peacefully, J...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4403 on: December 10, 2020, 01:07:27 PM »
Thank you for sharing Brian. That was very moving to read, and I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4404 on: December 10, 2020, 01:19:56 PM »
I’m sorry Brian

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4405 on: December 10, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »
I am sorry for your loss, Brian.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4406 on: December 10, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »
That was a gripping read truthfully Brian.  I too am sorry for your loss.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4407 on: December 10, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
Brian, I've read a lot your very interesting writings about QR and I had no idea that you were so close to Jason. Really sad for your loss. Personally, I liked many of the things Jason composed for the band and Geoff.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4408 on: December 10, 2020, 03:24:09 PM »
I have only ever seen Jason in YT interviews but he always came across as a real down to Earth , lovely guy.

Sorry for your loss Brian,.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4409 on: December 10, 2020, 03:30:32 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Samsara. My condolences.