Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 696336 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4095 on: January 19, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »
Saw Queensryche Friday in a small club.
I thought they put on a really good show.  Todd really puts in the effort.  The rest of the band seemed really subdued.
I thought they sounded pretty damn good.  Wilton seemed to have totally forgotten half the solo in Resistance I think.

John 5 was a fucking BEAST.  So was his band.  Fucking amazing show.  Last song he kicks in to Limelight, then Freewill, and we are going crazy.  Then it morphs into Spoonman, then some Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, and Pantera -Walk.  Wow what an ending.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4096 on: January 19, 2020, 11:46:22 AM »

John 5 was a fucking BEAST.  So was his band.  Fucking amazing show.  Last song he kicks in to Limelight, then Freewill, and we are going crazy.  Then it morphs into Spoonman, then some Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, and Pantera -Walk.  Wow what an ending.

Yep, the Creatures get it done too. John always tends to throw an epic instrumental medley in there towards the end of his shows. As much as I like QR, John and the Creatures will wipe the floor with them.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4097 on: January 20, 2020, 10:09:30 AM »
Gotta admit, pretty good rendition of "No Sanctuary" by the current Queensryche. They (this lineup) had never played it live.

TLT sang it well here:

https://youtu.be/Syh0NaIi7TY

I saw it in 2001 at the Seattle fan club show and it was incredible.

As for the "revamped" setlist, I see Bent is added to the setlist, No Sanctuary, Prophecy, and Resistance too. I thought they previously played Dark Reverie, so I didn't count that one.

But then we have "Resistance"

https://youtu.be/C5THQMe7Uts

Musically it is fine. Wilton plays the solo fine (not sure what the complaint was about, sounds fine to me), and the drums are good. The vocals though - TLT is having difficulty on this one. Any singer knows this song is tough to sing. It's in the higher part of your register the entire time, where you breathe is key, and honestly, it is just a bitch to do. So big credit to TLT for trying it, but not sure this song is going to remain. You can tell he runs out of air, and is flat a bunch. Honest to goodness, its just a pain in the ass to sing. Tate had trouble with the first half of the song (he was off key) on the American Soldier tour, and it was dropped a half step. He was able to sing the second half on key though (back in 2009). So TLT struggling with it in the original tuning is not surprising. Just amazing how Tate sang it as the lead tune every night from 1990-1992. Really shows what kind of a singer he once was.

So a great credit to TLT for giving "Resistance" a run, but that song is a big pain in the ass, particularly if your lung capacity isn't pristine. I've heard a bunch of singers try it, and where you breathe is always a challenge. TLT is no exception (and I am terrified of how low Tate is going to have to drop it - not sure he can do it any longer either). I'm not a fan of TLT's vocals on the Empire songs, but if they want to play an Empire song, I'd say drop Resistance and go for something that gives him time to breathe. Anybody Listening? perhaps?

Regarding the setlist, four different songs added. The other 13 are recycled from the last several years. Looks like a fun night for those going.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:05:18 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4098 on: January 20, 2020, 11:53:13 AM »
Wrong Show.  I saw them the night before in Culture Room In Ft Lauderdale....and he did mess up pretty bad in a few spots on that solo.  I guess he practiced it for the next day lol.

https://youtu.be/uy5WWlmCRBI?t=4946
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:09:01 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4099 on: January 21, 2020, 08:50:25 AM »
Wow, them doing Resistance is unexpected and cool!  But Samsara is dead-on about how difficult that song is from a vocal perspective.  Yes, Tate struggled with it on the AS tour.  But I would even say he struggled with it back on the Building Empires tour (although to a lesser degree).  I think a singer trying to pull that off needs to intentionally change up the vocal melody/note choices in some spots in order to (1) stay in key, and (2) save vocal power for some pre-chosen "money notes" here and there. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4100 on: January 21, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
First listen of The Verdict today... actually pretty solid.  I think the first time I really listened to Todd sing... and he reminds me of Geoff. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4101 on: January 21, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »
I totally get what people say about Tate and Todd.. there is a difference.  It seemed(in his prime) Tate just had a depth to his voice that Todd just simply doesn’t possess.  But man did Todd pit on a great show.  He really gave it his all and sounded great
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4102 on: January 22, 2020, 07:51:08 AM »
I totally get what people say about Tate and Todd.. there is a difference.  It seemed(in his prime) Tate just had a depth to his voice that Todd just simply doesn’t possess.  But man did Todd pit on a great show.  He really gave it his all and sounded great

Glad you hear it too.  And yes, Todd is a metal guy, and gets into it like he's one of the crowd, which makes sense, considering he basically was eight or nine years ago. Tate, at least up prior to MC II being released had this just bigger than life aura, where his presence and voice just hit you like a tidal wave. Both very cool stage presences, but totally different vibes.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4103 on: January 22, 2020, 08:02:08 AM »
Tate had no problem giving me a fist bump last year, that's pretty metal for a guy coming off stage.  Unlike Steven Wilson who was the only one in his band to not give me a fist bump.  One thing I love about the venue I'm seeeing QR at, there's a side stage spot to chill if you want to meet the band right before/after the go on stage.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4104 on: February 03, 2020, 08:27:29 AM »
Saw Queensryche over the weekend. Overall, a nice performance. I felt the band was the strongest on its new material. Some of the old stuff sounded pretty good, others not as much. But I had a good time. I'm glad I went. I hadn't seen them since Dec. 2013, so a bit over six years. It felt like Queensryche had become their own band, finally. I think that was due to the amount of new material being in the set. It felt like a true "album support" tour. I did a review here:

http://anybodylistening.net/theverdicttour-2020.html

The review includes three videos shot from distance with limited zoom (Resistance, No Sanctuary, Bent).

I've gotten to the point where for me personally, there's very much space in the musical world for Tate and Queensryche to co-exist. Tate does nostalgia runs. I'm very much looking forward to the Empire/RFO tour when he announces west coast dates for later this year. And if Queensryche continues to work in TLT era material, with the obvious hits in there, I think Queensryche fans get the best of both worlds.
The show this weekend reaffirmed what I had been feeling.

Anyway, if you dig The Verdict, make sure to go see Queensryche this time out. I really felt those four songs in the set were the highlight of the show, although as my review says, Screaming in Digital and Queen of the Reich both sounded really good.  :)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4105 on: February 03, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »
Hi Sam,
Ill be happy when both camps call it quits, its amazing to me they are still viable period,  I hope Tate has fun singing as he was the true talent of the band, his voice was the hallmark. The old songs have been beaten into the ground, I do find it more interesting Tate is playing the whole CDs and that gives us rarity performances, but even that to me is not enough. Now with saying that I really have no idea what I want Tate to do , I guess more music like Sweet Oblivion.  as for Latorres Band ( no need to even all it QR) I have zero interest and find them a terrible watch live. I chuckle when I hear people say they like his "growling "  LOL ,,, IMO thats so far from what old Ryche was about, they were the opposite of that as to me they had a kind of elegance.
did you enjoy John 5?  hes amazing and a great live act
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:08:17 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4106 on: February 03, 2020, 08:51:09 AM »
And if Queensryche continues to work in TLT era material, with the obvious hits in there, I think Queensryche fans get the best of both worlds.
The show this weekend reaffirmed what I had been feeling.

Anyway, if you dig The Verdict, make sure to go see Queensryche this time out. I really felt those four songs in the set were the highlight of the show, although as my review says, Screaming in Digital and Queen of the Reich both sounded really good.  :)

Sam, that's good to hear. To me, Queensryche is useless unless they are carving a new road. Tate too, for that matter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4107 on: February 03, 2020, 10:13:06 AM »
Great review! :tup

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4108 on: February 03, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »
I saw them in early September and they were great.  Their new songs from The Verdict were the highlight of the show!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4109 on: February 03, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »
Hi Sam,
Ill be happy when both camps call it quits, its amazing to me they are still viable period,  I hope Tate has fun singing as he was the true talent of the band, his voice was the hallmark. The old songs have been beaten into the ground, I do find it more interesting Tate is playing the whole CDs and that gives us rarity performances, but even that to me is not enough. Now with saying that I really have no idea what I want Tate to do , I guess more music like Sweet Oblivion.  as for Latorres Band ( no need to even all it QR) I have zero interest and find them a terrible watch live. I chuckle when I hear people say they like his "growling "  LOL ,,, IMO thats so far from what old Ryche was about, they were the opposite of that as to me they had a kind of elegance.
did you enjoy John 5?  hes amazing and a great live act

John 5 is an incredible guitarist. His act with the masks, makeup, and all instrumental stuff isn't my thing. But I very much appreciate his talent.

Regarding the rest of your point, perhaps you didn't read my review. I think the grit and growls have helped distinguish Queensryche's current era from what the original lineup was about. So yes, I agree, the original band was never about growls and grit. Those vocals were clean and operatic. That's not what this era of QR is about. They are two different beasts, particularly with Grillo on drums, who as I noted in the review, is much more a metal drummer. And while I will always have the original lineup on the pedestal as my favorite band, I do enjoy the original music from the TLT era of the band. Sure, I'm not as fond of some of the differences on the classic material, but I'm not going to see current Queensryche for the old songs. I went to see the new songs, which I like. If I want to hear the old songs, I'll go see Tate, and deal with not as good musicianship.

Sam, that's good to hear. To me, Queensryche is useless unless they are carving a new road. Tate too, for that matter.

It'll be interesting to see what they do next. TLT said during the show they have a hard time with the setlist, and weren't sure about playing four new songs. But they were received well at my show, so I am hoping they expand the TLT era material in the future. IMO, if you're going to play say 18 songs (one more than they currently do), six of them (one-third of the set) should be devoted to material from The Verdict, Condition Human, and QR 2013. I don't think that's a stretch, doing say 4-1-1 or 3-2-1, or 2-2-2, etc. But again, that's just me. I'm only there to see that stuff, and the rarities pulled out from the legacy catalog (this time being No Sanctuary and Resistance). If I had my way, current Queensryche wouldn't play any original lineup material except for three or four songs. I'd much prefer to hear 75 percent of the set be from the last three albums. But I don't represent the majority of their audience.

I will say though, that the crowd was very much engaged and into them the whole time. And while not sold out, the venue was pretty full. I think capacity is 900ish, and if I had to guess, I'd say it was about 800. There was enough room to stand without being squished, but the main GA area was full, as were the reserved areas. People seemed generally really happy with the performance. :)

Great review! :tup

Thanks bud. Appreciate you reading it.

Their new songs from The Verdict were the highlight of the show!   :tup

:tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4110 on: February 03, 2020, 10:39:26 AM »
Nice review Samsara, looking forward to the show in a couple weeks.  Really enjoying The Verdict as I've listened quite a bit now.  I think those songs are definitely more what I want to see than the classics.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #4111 on: February 15, 2020, 07:25:50 AM »
I'll be seeing them next weekend in Myrtle Beach. Been listening to The Verdict in preparation for it. Didn't really grab me when it first came out (and no Scott Rockenfield didn't help) but I've warmed up to quite a bit of it. Not as good as Condition Human but still pretty good. Looking forward to it.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4112 on: February 15, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
Show is tonight for me  :metal been loving the Verdict so looking forward to those tracks the most. Hoping I can be in my spot to get first bumps from the band

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4114 on: February 16, 2020, 07:54:34 AM »
Just realized QR is playing with John 5 this saturday but sadly I'm going to be in Boston. I would've loved to see John 5 live and I'm curious how QR is live.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4115 on: February 16, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
Philly show isn't tell Wednesday, and although I knew I was going I had not yet gotten tickets. Couple of days ago I looked to secure them, and must have gotten there right as a new batch was released, pulled very first row.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4116 on: February 16, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »
Woke up early and finished my full video...

Queensryche and John 5 Live @ Starland Ballroom NJ 2020

Really fun night.  Might have been one of the loudest shows though.  My ears were ringing afterwards which is the first time I can recall in a long time and many concerts where that happened.  Anyway, I got there in time for all of Eve to Adam's set.  They were pretty decent, the singer reminded me of M Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold.  Heavier than QR, with a really good guitarist.  Definitely a solid opener (there were two other bands who I missed, but I'm guessing they were local).  John 5 had quite the stage set up.  Pretty cool to see the support act going all out like that on the small stage (QR stuff was behind his stuff).  All instrumental music as expected, but damn if you are not mesmerized watching him play... I don't know what to tell you.  VERY entertaining set.  Cool lighting, cool stage, interesting attire, non stop shredding.  He ended with a cover medley that was probably the most fun of the night with Peter Criss of Kiss in the venue who John 5 spoke about.  Also, the bassist was really good too.

QR was next, they didn't come out the same way most bands do (used the other side) so I missed getting fist bumps or really getting to see them come on, other than the guitarist chugging a beer behind the stage  :metal They sounded great IMO, Todd sang just fine.  Didn't see or hear any negativity towards this version of the band from anyone in the building.  Pretty good turn out.  THey did have the one bar curtained off, but it otherwise felt pretty packed.  At least 1k there IMO, maybe more and Todd kept mentioning that he was a bit shocked and excited for the big NJ turn out for them.  I think it helped having John 5 as the opener, a few people I talked to were there just for him. 

I really wish QR did more Verdict songs.  I know that's just me and a newer fan so I'm not exactly what the majority of the crowd were looking for, but Light Years was probably my favorite of the set besides the OM songs, which came off really well.  To compare to GT's version last year... I think QR were better at it.  Sounded tighter and Todd seemed to do those songs justice.  I'm sure everyone would love to see GT with the band, but since we aren't getting that, Todd seemed like a good replacement.

After the set, Casey came around and I was able to snap that pic with him.  Wearing my Kamelot shirt he immediately noticed me.  On my way out, I was looking at the merch and noticed they were selling John 5 signed masks... for only 30 bucks.  I thought that was way more unique than a tshirt for about the same price so I snagged one.  I think it's awesome and one of the coolest concert merch purchases ever.  (and of course I am wearing it at the end of my video  :yarr )

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4117 on: February 17, 2020, 10:24:58 AM »
Glad you had a good time, Cram! I enjoyed QR's performance, but I am in agreement that more newer songs would have been preferable. But again, their audience is decidedly mixed between people who just want to see the old stuff, and people who really just want them to focus on the post-Tate lineup of the band.

To be honest, if they could just expand the set by three songs and 15 minutes, I don't see why they couldn't do one more song from The Verdict, one from Condition Human, one from the self-titled and mix them in the set, without introducing them. That way the post-Tate era releases are fully covered, with 7 songs, making up...almost one-third of the set list. But again, they feel they have to walk a very thin line.

The length of the show is confusing to me, I don't see why they need to keep themselves at 80-85 minutes. I don't think it's a stretch to go to 95, honestly. But I'm not in the band, so who knows.

Either way, glad you dug it. I had a good time as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4118 on: February 17, 2020, 10:29:06 AM »
I'm guessing a 5 band show is why they aren't playing more than 90 minutes. 

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4119 on: February 18, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »
I'm guessing a 5 band show is why they aren't playing more than 90 minutes.

The national tour is three bands. The venue probably added the other two as local support. As for the Ryche playing only 90 minutes, I am going to say that it is their choice. The three shows I have seen before I will catch Queensryche on Thursday all eclipsed (or will eclipse in the case of Y&T tonight, the other two being Crack The Sky and Machine Head) the two hour mark (MH going for almost three). If the band WANTS to play a longer set, they will.  If they would rather load up the tour with openers and co-headliners and limit the time on stage, they can choose to do that. Having seen the TLT-version 12 times (with 13 and 14 coming up this year), I think it is a question of vocal stamina. Having seen the degradation in his vocal performance, I really don't think TLT can handle a set much longer than 90 minutes. That seems to be his sweet spot. Of the 12 times I have seen him front the band, 7 have been headlining and I don't think any one has ever eclipsed 90 minutes. Most come in around 80-85. And that is a shame given the wealth of material they have. This band should not be bringing out any opening act, let alone two as most of their headlining tours have had. I think they still have enough to cache to play "An Evening With..." and really give the fans who have stuck with them the kind of show they deserve.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 08:29:55 AM by ShadowWalker »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4120 on: February 18, 2020, 08:26:36 AM »
They could do a couple of soft acoustic versions and add a guitar solo or an instrumental piece at the end to let Todd have a breather....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4121 on: February 18, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »
They could do a couple of soft acoustic versions and add a guitar solo or an instrumental piece at the end to let Todd have a breather....

A couple of acoustic tracks would be very welcome. I like the version of "Open Road" that appears on the The Verdict deluxe edition. Maybe add in an acoustic version of the closing track to The Verdict and something classic and now you have a really well-rounded set. Not that big a fan of guitar and drum solos. Mostly just noise that 99% of the time I don't find engaging. A full on instrumental jam would be pretty interesting and that I would be in favor of. A song like Della Brown could lend itself to that kind of an extended instrumental passage.

There are ways to be subtle about extending the show. This band is just way too comfortable at 85 minutes to really push it.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4122 on: February 18, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
what I saw recently of Latorre QR was IMO  NOT GOOD. and it appears that John 5 wiped them out as far as the crowds enjoyment .  The new songs are not crowd pleasers and the crowd seemed to not be into their set at all compared to the fun and enjoyment they had during the joy filled John 5 set of crowd pleasing riffs and visuals.  I truly think the band should lose the QR moniker and be "lynch Mob" to Don Dokkens 'Dokken solo". to me the wind up for 'screaming of high notes" is not QR and IMO again its just not the QR experience and I dont care if its "QR part II" its simply not QR. especially with only Wilton and Jackson, who were far from the backbone of what I will refer to as the real QR.  This Latorre Wilton band needs to just be a NEW band and carve their metal path IMO.  what I saw was honestly sad and bad IMO. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:21:27 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4123 on: February 18, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »
I saw QR recently and thought their set was more than 90 minutes.  Maybe not by much, but I thought their set with Fates Warning was short so I noticed the time when the lights went down to when they were taking bows.  I know some of that time is stage banter, etc, but the tour with FW had that too.

Just looked them up, and this tour has three more songs than that tour.  And that's about what people were asking for last time, so they did deliver. Plus, they added some rarities this time around. I think they're making an effort. I would of course love to have a 2 hour show, but QR is now at least in line with a lot of other headlining bands.

In from the show I saw, Todd sounded great, and the crowd was most definitely into it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4124 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »
John 5 brings a different crowd and has an energetic performance.  It's no doubt that the crowd is a bit more into it for him than an older mid paced prog metal band.  Having said that, Todd sounded just fine at my show last weekend.  Can't really say anything bad about his performance other than he's no comedian (He said so himself when there was a technical difficulty)  :lol I do think the crowd was less into the Verdict songs than the others, but that's a given for almost any band performing new material. 

If I had to choose, I do think I personally enjoyed John 5 more than QR, but that's not to the detriment of QR just that I thought John 5 was really fun.  I've also stated here many times that I've never really been a big QR fan so I don't think it's surprising for me to have enjoyed John 5 more.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4125 on: February 18, 2020, 11:59:07 AM »
John 5 brings a different crowd and has an energetic performance.  It's no doubt that the crowd is a bit more into it for him than an older mid paced prog metal band.  Having said that, Todd sounded just fine at my show last weekend.  Can't really say anything bad about his performance other than he's no comedian (He said so himself when there was a technical difficulty)  :lol I do think the crowd was less into the Verdict songs than the others, but that's a given for almost any band performing new material. 

I don't know. I have been seeing Queensryche regularly since 1988. The one thing I always appreciated about the band was how much new material they always had in their set. 5-7 songs at least from whatever new album they were promoting (twice full albums got aired - Promised Land and O:MII). I think the only tour this didn't happen for was Dedicated to Chaos, and given the turmoil in the band and how poorly received that album truly was, that made sense. But all the TLT albums have been given their props, yet it feels like the band has completely lost confidence in its newer material. The 2013 S/T was short enough that on that tour the whole album could have, and in all reality should have, been played to make a real statement that the band is all about who they are now and not some nostalgia act. The shows should have a lot more emphasis on TLT-era material and much of it is quality enough and the history the band has I think gives them the room to play 5-7 new songs in addition to a set of classics. I do appreciate that the first leg of the Verdict tour had a good selection of newer material and am disappointed that this leg has reduced that number. If you extend the show, you can easily make a third to a half of it consisting of newer material and the rest some standards and then a few deep cuts to keep the show fresh. They have a great catalog and the new material stands up well. It is a shame they don't have the kind of confidence in their new material the way the band consistently had in the past.

Or maybe Queensryche should start doing something like what Iron Maiden or Coheed and Cambria have been doing:  Album > tour for that album with an emphasis on new and recent material > throwback tour > rinse and repeat. I would be a lot more interested in a Queensryche show dominated by TLT-era material than another set of retreads (though I do give them some props for dusting off No Sanctuary and Resistance this time around as well, the former being the only reason I bought at ticket to Thursday's show to check it off the list, especially since it could be left out when they play M3 later this year).

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4126 on: February 18, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »
what I saw recently of Latorre QR was IMO  NOT GOOD. and it appears that John 5 wiped them out as far as the crowds enjoyment .  The new songs are not crowd pleasers and the crowd seemed to not be into their set at all compared to the fun and enjoyment they had during the joy filled John 5 set of crowd pleasing riffs and visuals.  I truly think the band should lose the QR moniker and be "lynch Mob" to Don Dokkens 'Dokken solo". to me the wind up for 'screaming of high notes" is not QR and IMO again its just not the QR experience and I dont care if its "QR part II" its simply not QR. especially with only Wilton and Jackson, who were far from the backbone of what I will refer to as the real QR.  This Latorre Wilton band needs to just be a NEW band and carve their metal path IMO.  what I saw was honestly sad and bad IMO.

The two shows I have already seen on The Verdict tour cycle (last year in Baltimore and NYC), the TLT-era material was very well received. What shows were you at where they weren't?. And the few songs they have been playing over the years have been well-received when they get played (i have seen this line-up 12 times going back to the Return To History tour). The problem is they are not playing enough new material and when you set the expectation of being a nostalgia act, you are not encouraging your audience to buy and get to know the new material. That is one of the biggest blunders this version of the band has made - getting away from the tradition of playing at least five to seven songs from the new album the band was touring in support of. I think now it will be  harder to reverse that because until the first leg of The Verdict tour, they relied too much on nostalgia in favor of playing new material and making a statement of who they are now. Not sure if they can get out from that hole, especially considering how they regressed on new/recent material for the second leg of The Verdict tour. Why get to know new material if the band isn't gonna play it?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4127 on: February 18, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »

I don't know. I have been seeing Queensryche regularly since 1988. The one thing I always appreciated about the band was how much new material they always had in their set. 5-7 songs at least from whatever new album they were promoting (twice full albums got aired - Promised Land and O:MII). I think the only tour this didn't happen for was Dedicated to Chaos, and given the turmoil in the band and how poorly received that album truly was, that made sense. But all the TLT albums have been given their props, yet it feels like the band has completely lost confidence in its newer material. The 2013 S/T was short enough that on that tour the whole album could have, and in all reality should have, been played to make a real statement that the band is all about who they are now and not some nostalgia act. The shows should have a lot more emphasis on TLT-era material and much of it is quality enough and the history the band has I think gives them the room to play 5-7 new songs in addition to a set of classics. I do appreciate that the first leg of the Verdict tour had a good selection of newer material and am disappointed that this leg has reduced that number. If you extend the show, you can easily make a third to a half of it consisting of newer material and the rest some standards and then a few deep cuts to keep the show fresh. They have a great catalog and the new material stands up well. It is a shame they don't have the kind of confidence in their new material the way the band consistently had in the past.

Or maybe Queensryche should start doing something like what Iron Maiden or Coheed and Cambria have been doing:  Album > tour for that album with an emphasis on new and recent material > throwback tour > rinse and repeat. I would be a lot more interested in a Queensryche show dominated by TLT-era material than another set of retreads (though I do give them some props for dusting off No Sanctuary and Resistance this time around as well, the former being the only reason I bought at ticket to Thursday's show to check it off the list, especially since it could be left out when they play M3 later this year).

They could cure that by announcing that they"will be playing their Latorre releases in full, the last 2 albums, with an encore of the old hits".  I think many go to the Latorre QR not even knowing there has been such change in direction, Id even say 20% still think Tates in the band when they go to the show.  its not like this band is "known" anymore or any of their new material is played on the radio,  etc.  that way one can find out who really is supporting this latorre band. Tate is touring under  Geoff Tate so the crowds he gets are his , he doesnt even get the pull of the QR name.
John 5's music I dont think many knew but his music just transcends and is so good you embrace it like many bands live  .Ive seen so many bands and didnt know their new stuff or new from old songs but they still got me going, Im NOT seeing that all with the Latorre QR, plus IMO QR with Latorre is a not a very entertaining show, no matter how many screens they have,  Tate knows how to entertain and the band has lost that element, and now with no SRock its mighty thin of stellar talent IMO. tio me a LIVE show is about seeing STARS and being entertained and not about "note for note"and thats where Latorre QR fails IMO, there is nothing I need to see with them and like I always say the "debate" is better than the music for both Tate and Latorre QR, but recent Tate is much better and it appears Geoff is on the upswing and bringing IMO a much more QR experience ( whatever that means LOL )
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:51:12 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4128 on: February 18, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »

They could cure that by announcing that they"will be playing their Latorre releases in full, the last 2 albums, with an encore of the old hits".  I think many go to the Latorre QR not even knowing there has been such change in direction, Id even say 20% still think Tates in the band when they go to the show.  its not like this band is "known" anymore or any of their new material is played on the radio,  etc.  that way one can find out who really is supporting this latorre band. Tate is touring under the Geoff Tate so the crowds he gets are his , he doesnt even get the pull of the QR name.
John 5's music I dont think many knew but his music just transcends and is so good you embrace it like many bands live  .Ive seen so many bands and didnt know their new stuff or new from old songs but they still got me going, Im NOT seeing that all with the Latorre QR, plus IMO QR with Latorre is a not a very entertaining show, no matter how many screens they have,  Tate knows how to entertain and the band has lost that element, and now with no SRock its mighty thin of stellar talent IMO

What TLT-era shows have you actually been to?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4129 on: February 18, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »

They could cure that by announcing that they"will be playing their Latorre releases in full, the last 2 albums, with an encore of the old hits".  I think many go to the Latorre QR not even knowing there has been such change in direction, Id even say 20% still think Tates in the band when they go to the show.  its not like this band is "known" anymore or any of their new material is played on the radio,  etc.  that way one can find out who really is supporting this latorre band. Tate is touring under the Geoff Tate so the crowds he gets are his , he doesnt even get the pull of the QR name.
John 5's music I dont think many knew but his music just transcends and is so good you embrace it like many bands live  .Ive seen so many bands and didnt know their new stuff or new from old songs but they still got me going, Im NOT seeing that all with the Latorre QR, plus IMO QR with Latorre is a not a very entertaining show, no matter how many screens they have,  Tate knows how to entertain and the band has lost that element, and now with no SRock its mighty thin of stellar talent IMO

What TLT-era shows have you actually been to?

None ,..  I see zero reason to go  , I did see QR in 1982 and many many many many times... the last QR show I saw was AS tour