Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 707111 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3850 on: July 16, 2019, 08:07:24 AM »
A lot people who have experience with him, myhself included, have come away with a similar take.  But as I've said before, none of that even matters as far as this discussion.  What Geoff himself has publicly admitted, coupled with what is out there to be observed in the public domain, is more than enough to make the point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3851 on: July 16, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »
Paging Samsara. Samsara to the front please. There is a customer who needs your assistance. Thank you.

:biggrin:

:lol

Not sure what I can add to the discussion. At the end of the day, both sides in the Queensryche debacle are at fault, almost on an equal level for the band's fracture.

On one hand, when Chris left (and he looks smarter and smarter for doing that with each passing year), Tate and his wife ultimately assumed the business and creative roles Chris vacated, at least in terms of direction and leadership. That's commendable, and expected. Over the years, the Tates did some...questionable and in some cases vile things, and in some cases, obviously took advantage of their power and influence within the band to steer things to their advantage (all the nepotism, etc.). And as everyone knows, that all came to a head, particularly after Tate tried to sell the rights to Mindcrime out from under the rest of the group, and the direction(s) Tate was interested in weren't something the rest of the band was behind, nor was the majority of the fan base.

On the other hand, the rest of the band (Wilton, Jackson, Rockenfield), let it all happen. They were content with their wallets getting bigger through increased touring opportunities, and didn't want to rock the boat until the band's reputation had fiinallly crashed and burned, and they ultimately learned about the attempted Mindcrime rights sale. That was the key event that pushed them to make the moves they did, in my opinion. It came down to...money. On top of that, they got progressively complacent after Empire's success. They let Chris drive the ship, which makes sense given the success, but they tended to leave everything for him to handle at that point (at least from everything I've ever heard/read). That and other tensions really got to Chris and Chris left. I blogged about this last year and did my best to cover the Chris departure(s) from a speculative point of view --  http://anybodylistening.net/whychrisdegarmoleft.html. That may give some of you that aren't really familiar with the history some insight to what may have happened. Then once Q2k flopped (which was a band effort steered by Tate and Kelly Gray) and Tribe fizzled because the Chris reunion didn't work (allegedly because the Tates' power play angered Chris and he left), the band got complacent again, leaving everything to Tate to do (see the pattern?). You can argue Tate shut them out during the Mindcrime II-Dedicated to Chaos years, but you can also argue he felt he needed to just push forward, because that the band wasn't interested in working creatively with him. Both are probably true to a degree. There's equal fault all over the place.

I don't condone any of Tate's actions (the physical altercations, the spitting, the taking advantage of things, etc.). All of that is disturbing and wrong. But I can, retrospectively, having some personal experience with Wilton, Jackson, and Rockenfield, see why Tate was so frustrated with those guys. And conversely, I also see their frustration with him. Tate's right about one thing though. He said in a recent article that the main problem since 2011, when the fracture really started to widen, and then the split ultimately in 2012, is that none of them will just sit down and talk together and start the healing process. And I get it, I get why. But at the end of the day, you had a relationship for 30+ years, with some enormous highs and low-lows. It may not have been a great one, but given the opportunity, even if the endgame isn't reuniting, but just forgiveness and healing, isn't that worth taking the olive branch?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3852 on: July 16, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »
On the other hand, the rest of the band (Wilton, Jackson, Rockenfield), let it all happen. They were content with their wallets getting bigger through increased touring opportunities, and didn't want to rock the boat until the band's reputation had fiinallly crashed and burned, and they ultimately learned about the attempted Mindcrime rights sale. That was the key event that pushed them to make the moves they did, in my opinion. It came down to...money. On top of that, they got progressively complacent after Empire's success. They let Chris drive the ship, which makes sense given the success, but they tended to leave everything for him to handle at that point (at least from everything I've ever heard/read). That and other tensions really got to Chris and Chris left. I blogged about this last year and did my best to cover the Chris departure(s) from a speculative point of view --  http://anybodylistening.net/whychrisdegarmoleft.html. That may give some of you that aren't really familiar with the history some insight to what may have happened. Then once Q2k flopped (which was a band effort steered by Tate and Kelly Gray) and Tribe fizzled because the Chris reunion didn't work (allegedly because the Tates' power play angered Chris and he left), the band got complacent again, leaving everything to Tate to do (see the pattern?). You can argue Tate shut them out during the Mindcrime II-Dedicated to Chaos years, but you can also argue he felt he needed to just push forward, because that the band wasn't interested in working creatively with him. Both are probably true to a degree. There's equal fault all over the place.

Brian, I have always held "the band" as equal participants in QR's ultimate crash. Very interesting to read this paragraph. I agree.

But at the end of the day, you had a relationship for 30+ years, with some enormous highs and low-lows. It may not have been a great one, but given the opportunity, even if the endgame isn't reuniting, but just forgiveness and healing, isn't that worth taking the olive branch?

Amen, Brother. Amen.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3853 on: July 16, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »
http://anybodylistening.net/whychrisdegarmoleft.html

Outstanding read. It's funny because even though all of that was behind the scenes, being a close follower of Queensryche during that time, you could easily see this playing out in the open.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #3854 on: July 16, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »
...But at the end of the day, you had a relationship for 30+ years, with some enormous highs and low-lows. It may not have been a great one, but given the opportunity, even if the endgame isn't reuniting, but just forgiveness and healing, isn't that worth taking the olive branch?

This. It was so cool to see that they met at the festival in Barcelona 2 years ago, and had nothing bad to say about each other.
It really seemed like everyone had moved on and let things be in the past. But now it seems like it's back to badmouthing former colleagues/bandmates, despite not having had any contact since the split :facepalm:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3855 on: July 16, 2019, 06:40:57 PM »
Trust me....Geoff is honestly one of those truly rare grade A dickweeds. I’ve met him in person when he didn’t have his game face on, and he was the most classless dirtbag you could imagine. And all I did was just ask “Are you Geoff Tate?” Michael had to step in to save the day (he was awesome) but you could tell they had a routine that kept him away from fans.

As a kid, I loved calling in and talking to local (Seattle) radio personalities in their down time. I asked a few of them who the nicest and nastiest musicians they had ever met. Nicest varied a lot...but Geoff being a dick was very common theme. One DJ even made a point of saying he met them when the EP broke locally and said “most of the guys are really nice, but that lead singer had to be the biggest asshole I’ve ever met in my life.”

This guy is a bit more than just your average, run of the mill, egotistical rock star. He’s another level of jerk.  Not to mention his shameful public behavior on stage. Insulting audiences, spitting on Scott the whole show.

Don’t get me wrong, from 82-92ish, the guy was the single greatest vocalist in the history of rock/metal. He was untouchable. Not even Halford or Dickinson came close IMO. But he failed to take care of his instrument, and now I consider him to be as poor as Fish in his modern performances. I would be more forgiving of this gross drop in quality if he were even a halfway decent human being...but he’s getting exactly what he deserves.

Dutchess by Genesis comes to mind. “And then there was the time that [he] performed/ When nobody called for more/ And soon every time [he] stepped into the light/ they really let [him] know the score.”

I ootta say Ive never seen that one time ...

Well....you obviously haven't been paying too close attention.  The insulting of audiences during one of their later shows with Geoff was all over the Internet when it happened, and the spitting on Scott for an entire show after they were in an altercation backstage was also all over YouTube (and publicly released court documents that were linked to various music forums) around the time of the breakup.

His above average level of egotistical crap is well documented.

LOL   .. again none of it is really anything . Ive seen him be amazingly nice over and over , over the years. much nicer than many many rockstars.  and by far the nicest guy in the band and the one everyone wanted time with.  The fans all know this, sorry your experience didnt go well
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3856 on: July 16, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

LOL   .. again none of it is really anything . Ive seen him be amazingly nice over and over , over the years. much nicer than many many rockstars.  and by far the nicest guy in the band and the one everyone wanted time with.  The fans all know this, sorry your experience didnt go well

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3857 on: July 16, 2019, 08:19:51 PM »

LOL   
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3858 on: July 16, 2019, 08:25:47 PM »

LOL

Actually it's LAL  ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3859 on: July 16, 2019, 08:37:28 PM »

Brilliant!

At this point, obvious troll is obvious.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3860 on: July 17, 2019, 01:06:16 AM »
Not really want to defend Tate, but if I remember correctly his "insulting" the audience was basically doing small talk before a song and saying, in a calm and joking manner, "you guys suck". Sure, it's not the best thing that a frontman could do, and it wasn't funny, but if I read that someone insults the audience I expect an angry rant, not a dude calmly saying with a smile "you guys suck". Again, not funny, and I believe all the reports of the last posts about his douchiness, but on the long list of his big offences, I don't think that this specific episode qualifies as such.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3861 on: July 17, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »

Brian, I have always held "the band" as equal participants in QR's ultimate crash. Very interesting to read this paragraph. I agree.

I can't say I do.

The Mindcrime rights sale involved Tate trying to get all the money for it because in his mind the Mindcrime story was his (I rather feel he's diminished DeGarmo's role in how the story was shaped). The reality is the band, as a legal entity, owned the story because without the band's creative involvement the Mindcrime story would have no value.

So yeah, the band being pissed off that Tate was trying to divert all the money from the sale to himself was about money but it was largely about Tate being a thieving arsehole.

Beyond that we get what looks like a boiling frog situation that starts with Promised Land, when Tate said he would give them an album and a tour then he'd quit and started refusing to work with Wilton's ideas; goes through Tate not quitting because he got divorced, remarried and presumably then couldn't afford to quit (particularly not when the solo album bombed and he failed to get the Journey gig); goes through Tate convincing them to let his 2nd wife manage the band and ends up all looking like a big "my way or the highway" situation where if they wanted to earn a living then they had to put up with Tate's shit. Since divorces and other indulgences seem to have done for the Empire windfall of one or two of them then they presumably were somewhat reliant on QR to earn a living.

It's made more complicated by Scott Rockenfield's 2nd(?) wife being best friends with Tate's 2nd wife and it seems that led to a situation where there wasn't going to be a unified front from the three of them when dealing with Tate... right up until their wives falling out over some business issues (as Rockenfield's wife was by this time involved in the band's affairs too) around the time of the Mindcrime movie deal happening.

It seems that over the years Wilton was really the only one trying to push back against Tate's nonsense and in the end Wilton was ready to quit around the time everything fell apart.

Of course money plays its part (if only life could be free of the need to earn money) but "it came down to money" strikes me as rather simplistic. They were shackled to Tate and clearly something significant needed to happen for that situation to change.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3862 on: July 17, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »

Brilliant!

At this point, obvious troll is obvious.

actually ... no.  why is discussing this band a "troll"? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3863 on: July 17, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
(if only life could be free of the need to earn money)

Why would that be good?  We're still humans, we are still subject to human nature...  There are countless bands that haven't fought over money, and there are countless bands that fight like dogs and it has nothing to do with money.  Here, that's just what triggered it, but if you're asking me, there would have been a fight one way or another. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3864 on: July 17, 2019, 12:30:37 PM »
(if only life could be free of the need to earn money)

Why would that be good?  We're still humans, we are still subject to human nature...  There are countless bands that haven't fought over money, and there are countless bands that fight like dogs and it has nothing to do with money.  Here, that's just what triggered it, but if you're asking me, there would have been a fight one way or another.

I agree   ....look at Kiss, they have had many falling outs with Ace and Peter  etc.  my fascination is with how Tate was treated after giving his life to QR and really being the hardest worker who had to do every interview and all PR work, to be "fired'? I think Scott regrets how it went down in hindsight and it led to his own personal turmoil now, and Im sure Geoff knows a lot on whats  really going on from his wife being so close with Scotts now ex wife, to me thats the fun story now as the music to me is just blah and nothing of real interest or continuing to evolve . to me thats the only subject with this band.  I like some of Geoffs stuff but so far hes not hit the bulls eye either, but has about 8 to 10 songs post QR i like a lot

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3865 on: July 17, 2019, 03:16:26 PM »
I have always held "the band" as equal participants in QR's ultimate crash. Very interesting to read this paragraph. I agree.

I can't say I do.

Well, let me highlight a couple of things you said that kind of make my point...

...Tate convincing them to let his 2nd wife manage the band and ends up all looking like a big "my way or the highway" situation where if they wanted to earn a living then they had to put up with Tate's shit. Since divorces and other indulgences seem to have done for the Empire windfall of one or two of them then they presumably were somewhat reliant on QR to earn a living.

..and....

Of course money plays its part (if only life could be free of the need to earn money) but "it came down to money" strikes me as rather simplistic. They were shackled to Tate and clearly something significant needed to happen for that situation to change.

It did come down to money. And I don't blame them. I am not going to tell them how to make a living.

BUT...

They were enablers for Tate, because THEY DECIDED to hitch their wagon to him. They're the ones who gave up their stake of dignity, and they are just as responsible for the embarrassment of what this band turned into. They chased the dollar.

Again, I don't blame them. But let's not act like they weren't complicit or were innocent bystanders.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3866 on: July 17, 2019, 03:51:43 PM »

It did come down to money. And I don't blame them. I am not going to tell them how to make a living.

BUT...

They were enablers for Tate, because THEY DECIDED to hitch their wagon to him. They're the ones who gave up their stake of dignity, and they are just as responsible for the embarrassment of what this band turned into. They chased the dollar.

Again, I don't blame them. But let's not act like they weren't complicit or were innocent bystanders.

While I completely agree with the bolded part, I don't think that puts them on equal footing with Tate.  At this point, there are a lot of things that I assume are true, but can't know for a fact.  I assume you and other are right and the band did become complacent.  I assume Michael Wilton actually wanted to contribute but for some reason, Tate didn't like or didn't want his input.  But I don't think it's right (from what we know) to lay blame equally.  After all, if he was upset with their "laziness" he probably could have asked for them to step up, at which point Wilton probably would have said he'd love to and brought out all his ideas that Tate would've then rejected and then he would've gone back to being less involved.... I imagine that scenario probably happened.  So if anything, the band should have put their foot down sooner.  None of it excuses Tate for trying to sell Mindcrime out from under them, or spitting throughout the whole show, etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3867 on: July 17, 2019, 04:00:46 PM »
But the Rights sales was long after their downward spiral had begun.

I'm not saying Tate is not a dick, but THE BAND DECIDED to be Tate's backup band for the paycheck.

Therefore, they were complicit and whatever happened to Queensryche's reputation is as much on them as it is on Tate.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3868 on: July 17, 2019, 04:29:57 PM »
TAC, what you are saying is factually correct.  But Lethean is saying that the two things are not equivalent and that Tate's conduct is worse (which I tend to agree with).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3869 on: July 17, 2019, 04:47:19 PM »
Tate could very well be the supreme king of dicks.

But what if Queensryche hung it up in 1998? How would they be looked at? A band that decided to hang it up or a band hanging around for every last dollar no matter what effect their actions or inactions have on the reputation of the Queensryche name.

I mean even if I give you Promised Land, you have 10 great years followed by 18 horrific career diluting years. I'm sorry. There's no way that I cannot hold the rest of the band responsible for their own plight.

I don't have a dog in the Queensryche fight. I lost complete interest in them after HITNF. I don't care who's right or wrong. I'm not in anyone's camp.

Again, I don't blame them for making a living. But if we're being honest, they sold out their dignity and hitched themselves to Tate because they for some reason couldn't come up with anything better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3870 on: July 17, 2019, 04:51:28 PM »
There's no way that I cannot hold the rest of the band responsible for their own plight.

Again, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.  But that isn't Lethean's point.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3871 on: July 17, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »
I think Lethean's point was that Tate and the Band are not equal in the great Queensryche fade.

I disagree with that.

He also said the band should've put their foot down sooner. I do agree with that.

But I'm really just spouting off my opinion. I'm not really speaking directly to Lethean per se.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3872 on: July 17, 2019, 05:45:15 PM »
I think the more important point is that Promised Land is f'ing awesome.  Actually, it's more of an indisputable fact than a point. :biggrin: :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3873 on: July 17, 2019, 06:32:32 PM »
Oh, it's disputable..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3874 on: July 17, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3875 on: July 18, 2019, 01:46:41 AM »
While I completely agree with the bolded part, I don't think that puts them on equal footing with Tate.  At this point, there are a lot of things that I assume are true, but can't know for a fact.  I assume you and other are right and the band did become complacent.  I assume Michael Wilton actually wanted to contribute but for some reason, Tate didn't like or didn't want his input.  But I don't think it's right (from what we know) to lay blame equally.  After all, if he was upset with their "laziness" he probably could have asked for them to step up, at which point Wilton probably would have said he'd love to and brought out all his ideas that Tate would've then rejected and then he would've gone back to being less involved.... I imagine that scenario probably happened.

Precisely.

If Tate refuses to use your work and you don't want to accept Tate bringing in the kind of writers that delivered his poor quality solo album then you're at an impasse.

They got around it with Tribe because they managed to get DeGarmo back and Wilton/Rockenfield/Jackson got together enough ideas Tate would work on (how much convincing DeGarmo had to do I'm not sure we know) to get an album together.

It's after that that point that Tate's wife was installed as sole manager and Wilton was almost completely sidelined and the impasse was resolved by Tate pretty much going ahead and doing what he bloody well felt like and the rest of them were left floundering and just went with it or they compromised their ability to make a living from QR. I'm absolutely certain at this stage Tate would've happily seen the rest of them quit and let him use the QR name for his solo career.

So if anything, the band should have put their foot down sooner.

Yes, they should. But "the band" were not a singular/gestalt entity of Jackson/Rockenfield/Wilton who were all pulling in the same direction whilst this was all going on.

I lay a reasonable degree of blame for that period of their careers at Rockenfield's feet as it was the connection between his wife and Tate's that seems to have led to Wilton consistently getting outvoted on everything in QR land, and all information since the split with Tate has indicated that Wilton wanted/tried to push back on most of Tate's ideas for the band.

I guess I mostly object to reducing a clearly pretty messy situation for a number of years to "it's all about money"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:56:43 AM by Cruithne »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3876 on: July 18, 2019, 08:06:47 AM »

I guess I mostly object to reducing a clearly pretty messy situation for a number of years to "it's all about money"

You can object all you want. It's an opinion. Just like my thought that "it's all about money" is. I could draw all the connections for you, but it's clearly a waste of time, so I won't bother. Clearly, you would object.

TAC, what you are saying is factually correct.  But Lethean is saying that the two things are not equivalent and that Tate's conduct is worse (which I tend to agree with).

For the record, I said "ALMOST EQUAL" in my initial post about the matter. I never said they are equivalent. And I do agree that Tate's conduct was worse. I was simply saying that Tate and his wife are not SOLELY to blame for the fracture. All of them are, and the band does hold a significant part of the blame. Their actions are more understated. But they are certainly there, and in my opinion, add up to a lot more of the blame than they are given publicly.

Again, the sad part of the whole thing is what I said above:

Tate's right about one thing though. He said in a recent article that the main problem since 2011, when the fracture really started to widen, and then the split ultimately in 2012, is that none of them will just sit down and talk together and start the healing process. And I get it, I get why. But at the end of the day, you had a relationship for 30+ years, with some enormous highs and low-lows. It may not have been a great one, but given the opportunity, even if the endgame isn't reuniting, but just forgiveness and healing, isn't that worth taking the olive branch?

There is plenty of fault to go around. But it's a damn shame the four of them can't get in a room and just own up to one another as Tate suggests. Not for any reason other than being able to walk away without the blanket of bitterness that is cast over everything they accomplished together.

Could Tate be lying? Of course he could. I'm not naive. But I tend to believe him on that one.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3877 on: July 18, 2019, 08:20:00 AM »

For the record, I said "ALMOST EQUAL" in my initial post about the matter. I never said they are equivalent. And I do agree that Tate's conduct was worse. I was simply saying that Tate and his wife are not SOLELY to blame for the fracture. All of them are, and the band does hold a significant part of the blame. Their actions are more understated. But they are certainly there, and in my opinion, add up to a lot more of the blame than they are given publicly.

No, I understand what you are saying.  All I was pointing out in my post is that TAC and Lethean are really arguing two different things, and TAC didn't see that. 

But it's a damn shame the four of them can't get in a room and just own up to one another as Tate suggests. Not for any reason other than being able to walk away without the blanket of bitterness that is cast over everything they accomplished together.

Could Tate be lying? Of course he could. I'm not naive. But I tend to believe him on that one.

I tend to also.  But--and this is complete speculation on my part (but given Tate's history, my speculation is consistent with things he has said and done)--I temper that with a degree of skepticism because I strongly suspect that, although he has held out an olive branch to try and do exactly what he said, it may very well have been on terms or in such a way that was unfair and offputting to the band.  And as I'm typing this, I realize that I'm not articulating what I am thinking, but it's kind of hard to put into words.  But I'm sure most of us have been in a situation where we were either part of or witnessed a particularly ugly fall-out with a friend, family member, or significant other who is very manipulative.  And sometimes, that manipulative person may try to set up a reconciliation to mend fences, but then the one who was wronged realizes that although it may appear on its face to be a reconciliation, it is really the manipulator setting up a situation that is in actuality completely one-sided and isn't really a reconciliation at all.  It's just the manipulator further manipulating to get his/her own closure at the expense of the other person/people.  Does that make sense?  And what I'm saying is that it would not surprise me if Geoff's calls to just get together and hash it out smelled a lot to the rest of the band as that type of situation, causing them to reject it for that very reason.  I could be very well off base here, but that type of scenario seems likely given the players and their history.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3878 on: July 18, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »
bosk,

Reading your last paragraph, I get it, and I share the skepticism to a degree. But I just believe him this time. Just a feeling.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3879 on: July 18, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »
*cues up More Than a Feeling*

:biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3880 on: July 18, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »
No one is blameless in the whole QR debacle.  It's a team effort and all are responsible.  Tate was just one of the major catalysts of the downward spiral.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #3881 on: July 18, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »
The moral of the story is: Never, ever, let family members influence your band.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:28:24 AM by Setzer »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3882 on: July 18, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
I'm not sure morale had anything to do with it.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3883 on: July 18, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
The moral of the story is: Never, ever, let family members influence your band.

That happens in every band to some extent.  and Scott's wife was just as involved in some ways, and the other guys wives influenced how much time they would give to the studio and for that matter Chris left the band period due to his wife and family.

the moral in this band is " its good to have 2 good song writers not one who left in 97 and a great singer who is left with too much responsibility during a crisis" and during a changing rock climate as hair bands were no longer cool as grunge was coming in.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:47:45 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3884 on: July 18, 2019, 10:46:26 AM »
No one is blameless in the whole QR debacle.  It's a team effort and all are responsible.  Tate was just one of the major catalysts of the downward spiral.

so true and again nobody has the facts but the members,  nobody knows ,,all we saw was the explosion of anger and the aftermath and spin.  even the depos are not true facts as they are only what each wanted to say and use as their position by coached lawyers.

lets face it this band is fully destroyed and the name QR is just a ghost, the reality is Tate brings the most QR "feel and experience" to the stage for those who want to have that feel again, NU QR is some sort of "attempted throw back " but to me is nothing like QR as its so rushed and shrill and Latorre does not even capture the artistry and the rest of the band to me brings no real stardom to behold. I wish they hung it up about 10 years ago on a good note