Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 683632 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3360 on: November 26, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »
Yeah, it was a B-side for Bridge.  I don't know anything beyond that, but I do have a physical copy of that single, so I can look and see if there is anything printed in the booklet when I get home.  There typically isn't much for tracks like that, but you never know. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3361 on: November 26, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
I'll take a look as well. It has been 15 years since I even touched that CD single. Like you said, the liner may have some more detail.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3362 on: November 26, 2018, 04:59:44 PM »
The box set would have to be pretty special for me to spend money on it.  I think the Unplugged MTV show on DVD and CD might do the trick though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3363 on: November 26, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »
Regarding Anybody Listening?, I seem to have a vague recollection of it being in rotation on a tour in the '00s (maybe a leg of the Take Cover tour?), but I could be misremembering.  I will defer to Samsara on that.
I'm pretty sure it was the American Soldier tour, which was the last time I saw them live. On that tour, they did 3 album "suites" of songs, starting with a bunch from RFO, then AS and finally Empire. And I believe that Anybody Listening made a number of appearances on that tour.

Actually, I just checked setlist.fm and it's supposedly been played 156 times now - plenty in 2008, 2009 and 2016, besides a handful of times in 1992, 2003 and 2004.

I'd be happy with 1, 3, 4, and 5.  10 would be incredible, but I would be shocked if that materialized.
Ditto for me. A book would be cool, but I have no need for vinyl or for a 5.1 version of the album, and would prefer not to have to pay extra for that stuff just to get something I would value.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3364 on: November 26, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »

Haha no kidding! I can't imagine liking any album enough to warrant wanting hardly anything on that list. But Samsara does like himself some QR!

Incidentally, this inspired me to listen to Empire again. It has been ages. Half way through now, forgot how great it is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3365 on: November 26, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »
I usually don't bother with remasters/box-sets, but my one hope is that they ditch the stupid 15-second silences at the end of the album that were on the other remasters.

Also cutting out the end of Anybody Listening would be nice, but I don't really mind.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3366 on: November 26, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
And to think that every CDr I have burned has a fifteen second track of silence added at the end.....
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3367 on: November 27, 2018, 12:13:54 AM »
I usually don't bother with remasters/box-sets, but my one hope is that they ditch the stupid 15-second silences at the end of the album that were on the other remasters.

Didn't know this.  But never really paid any attention either though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3368 on: November 27, 2018, 12:19:37 AM »
And to think that every CDr I have burned has a fifteen second track of silence added at the end.....

They're there on spotify too. That's the only reason I noticed.

ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #3369 on: November 27, 2018, 05:13:04 AM »
Anybody else bummed that a 30th-anniversary box set won't be out until some time in 2020?  :corn

Here is what I'd like to see from an Empire 30th box set:

1. The CD, with a non-redlined remaster (needs to be done)
2. Empire on 2 LP of the new remaster version mentioned above. (May be redundant given the pressing earlier this year.)
3. The Empire demos and alternate versions on CD (all of us bootleg collectors have this stuff, but I know the masters of it all exist and they all have copies).
4. A complete 2 DVD or 1 Blu-ray (if shot in high enough quality) live show from the tour that isn't LIVEcrime, along with a companion 2 CD set of the same show.
5. MTV Unplugged, complete (CD and DVD) - it exists, so fingers crossed.
6. Building Empires on Blu-ray (if shot in high enough quality to re-render)
7. Re-release of Empire as a 5.1 remix (exists on the now out-of-print Empire DVD-A).
8. Huge hardcover book with all the live photos of the band and candids from the tour, along with the stage setups, and commentary from the band
9. Band image lithos of the imagery from the liner notes of the original LP
10. Extra DVD with a new, hour-long documentary/interview with all five original members together, discussing the making of Empire, the songs, the tour, and the band during this time period.

For me, that's the wish list. Personally, I'd pay $250 for that. Metallica's for And Justice for All was on Amazon for 189.99, plus tax, so it was 200 (I paid 236 with tax and shipping from Metallica directly). So I'd be fine with spending that and a little more on this, just because of my fandom of the original lineup of Queensryche. But it would need to include the above stuff. If they cheap out, and just re-cycle previously released stuff, I am not sure I could justify it.
^This!
Metallica's recent box sets should be the minimum standard, to which other bands look for guidance.
DVD's would be adequate, but considering how much of their stuff was shot on film (music videos, concerts (LIVEcrime), Building Empires etc.), a Blu-ray would be preferrable. Even stuff shot on video tape back in the day, can look quite nice if it's allowed to breathe on a Blu-ray, compared to an old DVD compression.

All things considered, it's nice to see that they're all able to work together in some form  :tup

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3370 on: November 27, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »
re: Anybody Listening on the American Soldier tour.

Setlist.fm is often wrong, however, Scotty is right. It was played a handful of times. I don't think it was 156 times total like setlist.fm says, but it was played.

I saw the American Soldier tour, and I had to leave early (I had a meeting at 8 a.m. the next day, and the show was almost two hours from where I lived). I discovered later that they played Anybody Listening that night, which really bummed me out.

But I wouldn't trust setlist.fm for accuracy. Anybody Listening was played in 1992 as I mentioned, a handful of times, and then sporadically in 2003, 2004, and again in 2008-2009. But not equaling 156. There's no way. And as for the current lineup and a 2016 performance, I wouldn't know. So perhaps that's right.

Metallica's recent box sets should be the minimum standard, to which other bands look for guidance.
DVD's would be adequate, but considering how much of their stuff was shot on film (music videos, concerts (LIVEcrime), Building Empires etc.), a Blu-ray would be preferrable. Even stuff shot on video tape back in the day, can look quite nice if it's allowed to breathe on a Blu-ray, compared to an old DVD compression.

All things considered, it's nice to see that they're all able to work together in some form  :tup

Unfortunately, while I agree Metallica's sets should be the minimum standard, most bands don't have the budget to do what they are doing. The hugely successful ones do, but Queensryche, not so much. If I understand the technology correctly, there's quite a bit of work transferring film and making it into Blu-ray. You might know better than me, since you do all the video upgrading, but something about how if it was shot in 4:3, it can be resequenced to widescreen, but you lose some stuff if you do. So it'd be a straight conversion to 4:3, which some people dislike given newer standards. I'm thinking back to X-Files, where it was discussed they had some issues with that.

Agreed though - I'd love to have it all on Blu-ray at a minimum, but I am just not sure the budget will be there.

And yes, it is nice that they are working together on the project. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3371 on: November 27, 2018, 08:55:19 AM »
Regarding Anybody Listening?, I seem to have a vague recollection of it being in rotation on a tour in the '00s (maybe a leg of the Take Cover tour?), but I could be misremembering.  I will defer to Samsara on that.
I'm pretty sure it was the American Soldier tour, which was the last time I saw them live. On that tour, they did 3 album "suites" of songs, starting with a bunch from RFO, then AS and finally Empire. And I believe that Anybody Listening made a number of appearances on that tour.

Yes, that sounds right now that you mention it.  I thought I remembered that it was in rotation during that general timeframe. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3372 on: November 28, 2018, 06:52:23 AM »
I see that Queensryche have confirmed on twitter in response to Eddie Trunk that Todd played drums on the new album.  Something like they're still waiting for Scot to make a statement on his future and they preferred to keep the drumming in house rather than use an outside drummer.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3373 on: November 28, 2018, 07:56:48 AM »
I see that Queensryche have confirmed on twitter in response to Eddie Trunk that Todd played drums on the new album.  Something like they're still waiting for Scot to make a statement on his future and they preferred to keep the drumming in house rather than use an outside drummer.

...and they couldn't have said that a year ago?  :lol

I mean, that framing and message is fine, and would have been fine a long time before now. Best of luck to them on the record. Still personally on the fence whether I am staying for QR's portion of the set the two nights I am seeing the tour. It depends if PG gets his butt up north. If that happens, I'll watch QR live for the first time in five years.  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3374 on: November 28, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
I have to give the regulars in this thread mad props.  I don't think we can find another band that has been crap for such a long stretch (literally decades!), yet have their main thread stay active and on page 1 like this one does.  Well done. :tup :tup

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3375 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
So not even the band knows if Scott is in the band. This is a weird and unexpected development.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3376 on: November 28, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
So not even the band knows if Scott is in the band. This is a weird and unexpected development.

I don't buy that at all.  They likely know everything about what's going on with him, but don't want to, or aren't allowed to reveal it to the public yet.  So why not put the onus on him, since he's been silent for two years? 

If everything were still good and Scott were still just just taking time off from touring, they'd say so.  The fact that the party line went from "he's on paternity leave" to "he's still on leave" to "he hasn't told us jack shit lately" says to me that they're not on speaking terms with him anymore.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3377 on: November 28, 2018, 11:45:29 AM »
I have to give the regulars in this thread mad props.  I don't think we can find another band that has been crap for such a long stretch (literally decades!), yet have their main thread stay active and on page 1 like this one does.  Well done. :tup :tup

To be fair, since 2011-ish, the ratio of comments related to band drama compared to new music is probably 50:1.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3378 on: November 28, 2018, 04:30:59 PM »
I love Empire but this will need something pretty special to make me fork out for it again. I have the original vinyl, cd and cassette, the DVD Audio, a promo version with 3d tri ryche, the remaster with bonus tracks. I’m not sure what’s left to include. An unreleased live show perhaps. Blu Ray with a decent interview and videos?

Marillion’s recent rereleases of Misplaced Childhood And Clutching At Straws has set the bar so it needs to impress.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3379 on: November 29, 2018, 06:18:09 AM »
Marillion’s recent rereleases of Misplaced Childhood And Clutching At Straws has set the bar so it needs to impress.

Did they do one for Script?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3380 on: November 29, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »

I have the Misplaced Childhood one. Good price point for what you get. But this Empire one being a box set, I think the bar is really along the lines of Soundgarden's one for Badmotorfinger. That was an incredible box.

p.s. if anyone's interested (crickets, I hear crickets), I wrote up a blog that discusses some of the "wish list" items discussed above for the Empire box set -- https://anybodylistening.net/empire-30thanniversary.html

Blog series at www.anybodylistening.net/scream.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:05:08 AM by Samsara »

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3381 on: November 29, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
This cricket found it interesting....but, you aren't asking for a lot, are you? ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3382 on: November 29, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »
This cricket found it interesting....but, you aren't asking for a lot, are you? ;)

It was  a top-5 wish list. ;)

But here's the thing, that's not a big ask. Or it shouldn't be. Maybe at this point, #2, the sit down conversation, may be asking a lot, given the situation, but not really. With a landmark album like this, it should be done right. And the one thing I think is a positive, is that it is 2018, and this will likely be released summer 2020, and they are already at work at it. So hopefully, it is done correctly, with the right amount of attention paid to the details.

Thanks for reading!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3383 on: November 29, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
A+ blog.  Would read again.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3384 on: November 29, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »

It was  a top-5 wish list. ;)

But here's the thing, that's not a big ask. Or it shouldn't be. Maybe at this point, #2, the sit down conversation, may be asking a lot, given the situation, but not really. With a landmark album like this, it should be done right. And the one thing I think is a positive, is that it is 2018, and this will likely be released summer 2020, and they are already at work at it. So hopefully, it is done correctly, with the right amount of attention paid to the details.

Thanks for reading!

Fish and Marillion managed it for those deluxe editions I mentioned. You could see i5 was a bit of a strain on the Clutching video as that album was very difficult and lead to the break up.

It would certainly be interesting to see Geoff back in the same room, and CDG. Won’t hold my breath.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3387 on: December 03, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
The Queensryche Official forum Admin confirmed that the band themselves will not be involved in this project (big surprise there.... ::)) and that a label, presumably EMI, reached out to Tate for the project.  Since it is a prior Queensryche release (and likely including only older recordings and nothing newly recorded), Tate is allowed to assemble a box set under the Queensryche name.

This band is so incredibly good at stumbling over their own feet.  Fans are eating up these packages and re-releases from other bands, but they have no interest in doing anything.

Here's to hoping Todd is right based on a facebook response and they'll at least include more new songs in their setlists. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: December 03, 2018, 08:07:00 AM »
The Queensryche Official forum Admin confirmed that the band themselves will not be involved in this project (big surprise there.... ::)) and that a label, presumably EMI, reached out to Tate for the project.  Since it is a prior Queensryche release (and likely including only older recordings and nothing newly recorded), Tate is allowed to assemble a box set under the Queensryche name.

This band is so incredibly good at stumbling over their own feet.  Fans are eating up these packages and re-releases from other bands, but they have no interest in doing anything.  ::)

Unbelievable. How in the hell are Wilton and Jackson (who are the only ones left in the band, IMO) OK with this? It's like they don't care, and that's just a smack in the face (yet another) to the fan base.

Here's hoping Tate asks Rockenfield and most importantly, DeGarmo, to be involved with it all.

Shit like this is why I just don't give a fuck about current Queensryche any more (among other reasons) other than watching the train wreck. I still think Capitol (who I assume own the rights to the catalog) will do a good job. They did a good job on the Sign of the Times package, so given the financial success of Empire, I'm guessing there will be a decent budget for this. And if Tate is contributing liner notes and other stuff, it should be fine. But fingers crossed for some involvement by DeGarmo. I think it's really necessary, especially given that Wilton and Jackson aren't involved. Unreal.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3389 on: December 03, 2018, 08:13:58 AM »
These are the two direct quotes from the Admin, who claimed that it was just Tate spouting off, and then was corrected by the band or their reps:

Just to be clear, this is Tate spewing his mouth once again, without knowledge or the right to do so. From what I understand, the band are not involved and if they are, Tate certainly isn't and won't be.

They bought him out, remember?

Read more: https://queensrycheofficialforum.com/thread/1951/empire-30th-anniversary#ixzz5YdMWxNA6

I stand to be corrected.  It "seems" that a label did reach out to Tate to do 'whatever' with the Empire album, I don't know which label, but have to think it could be EMI (USA) or a subsidiary of them.  However, the band will not be involved from my understanding.  I was under the impression that Tate was not allowed to record anything under the Queensryche moniker, but because this is an older release, it seems he can (although that still doesn't sound right to me).  Who knew?  Well apparently we all do now ;)

If I find out more, then I will share if I can...just wanted to be sure I wasn't misleading anyone with my original comment.  Sorry, carry on....

Read more: https://queensrycheofficialforum.com/thread/1951/empire-30th-anniversary#ixzz5YdMb1zEd

It's really sad when the ex-singer has more interest in certain releases than the band themselves.  Hopefully the re-release comes to fruition - I'd love to see some cool Empire-era stuff come out of the vaults.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3390 on: December 03, 2018, 08:19:59 AM »
Where is all this re-record talk coming from? I mean, I want nothing to do with Tate now doing new recordings for Empire, or any of that.

I mean, if he simply shepherds the project, providing liner notes and stuff from the archive, that's fine. But it better not be his current band or Kelly Gray, or anyone else doing anything. It should only be the stuff from the actual Empire sessions with Tate, DeGarmo, Wilton, Jackson, Rockenfield.

The band should be ashamed of themselves for not caring enough to get involved.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3391 on: December 03, 2018, 09:43:03 AM »
Maybe the band is looking into the legal aspect/options of this situation before commenting on the Empire re-release.

If there's one area where QR are experts, it's on the legal side  :rollin

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3392 on: December 03, 2018, 10:11:02 AM »
Here's the thing, this isn't unlike anything else  the label has done over the years.

Empire DVD-A -- label reached out to Tate and to DeGarmo for the interview and whatnot

Sign of the Times Best Of Compilation - label reached out to Tate and to DeGarmo for content and interviews.

This is the same thing. The only differences are that Tate is not in the band any longer, and people are hyper-sensitive to his involvement. When at the end of the day, it likely isn't a big deal. And my guess is, the label probably has asked Chris again to contribute, and given his track record of saying yes previously, I don't see any reason he wouldn't this time. All of these projects are label-driven, so there's no reason to suspect anything will be "bad" just because current Queensryche (which only features Eddie and Michael from the original band anyway) has had a representative say they aren't participating.

Frankly, QR and QR's current mgmt (whoever that is these days, since they've switched a ton of times) looks dumb for not reaching out to the label and asking to be involved. I am sure Michael and Eddie have stuff to contribute. By not doing so, the only ones who look bad in this situation are QR -- not Tate or the label. It just looks like Eddie and MIchael don't care, which is not what they want.

But their social media person came off as arrogant and snotty, which is no surprise to me, but it just made QR look bad. Again.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #3393 on: December 03, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
Frankly, QR and QR's current mgmt (whoever that is these days, since they've switched a ton of times) looks dumb for not reaching out to the label and asking to be involved.
Can't really fault them if they really did just find out about this, the same way/time as the rest of us.
You also mentioned the label reached out to Geoff... Which label is this? Did all of the old catalogue stuff transfer to Century Media, with which the band is currently signed. Or is there another label keeping taps on the old stuff? :yeahright

I hope Geoff (and whoever is involved) pulls out something nice from the archives. I recall 1 or 2 years ago, Geoff mentioned somewhere that he had been looking through old footage from the Promised Land tour... Here's hoping :corn

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3394 on: December 04, 2018, 07:41:35 AM »
Can't really fault them if they really did just find out about this, the same way/time as the rest of us.
You also mentioned the label reached out to Geoff... Which label is this? Did all of the old catalogue stuff transfer to Century Media, with which the band is currently signed. Or is there another label keeping taps on the old stuff? :yeahright

I don't fault the band for not knowing. But there are better ways for a representative a band to react. That admin came off poorly, particularly the first response, and cast the band in a bad light with her posts overall. All she had to do was react with "we're looking into it. Sounds like the label contacted Geoff directly," and left it at that. Instead, she had to insult the guy, starting with "Just to be clear, this is Tate spewing his mouth once again..." And that reflects poorly on the band to have someone representing them, and saying that.

That whole "Geoff is the enemy" mantra is old. I'm not saying they should be forced to reunite with the guy. All I am saying is, there should be a public image of positivity and unity coming from those who speak for the band, instead of the vitriol. It's called class, and that tone used by the admin had none of it.

I hope Geoff (and whoever is involved) pulls out something nice from the archives. I recall 1 or 2 years ago, Geoff mentioned somewhere that he had been looking through old footage from the Promised Land tour... Here's hoping :corn

I remember that too. They all have stuff, so with some luck, maybe we'll get some good audio and video treats from back in the day.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:04:01 AM by Samsara »

www.roadstomadness.com