Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 706990 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
That would be cool because that's how the song Operation: Mindcrime starts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
That would be cool because that's how the song Operation: Mindcrime starts.

That's the joke. :)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I know.  I was being Ben Rothleisberger.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Ever since I first heard OM, I started noticing the hospital samples in every movie, tv-show or ad. And I guess they weren't new back when they were used on the album. Almost 20 years and no one has bothered to make a new background sample for a hospital xD

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
The deluxe edition no one asked for!  :lol I was giggling when I saw this thing at the store. Why not just sell the new mix by itself? The regular edition was still being sold here.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
The deluxe edition no one asked for!  :lol I was giggling when I saw this thing at the store. Why not just sell the new mix by itself? The regular edition was still being sold here.

I don't really get the hate for this album. I think it's pretty awesome. Sure, it's not classic Queensryche, and Jeoff Tate is a bit of a dick, but good music is good music, and I enjoy it quite a bit. Although I'm just fine with the original mix. Who's Billy Sherwood and what makes his mix so much better?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
I like The Weight Of The World and In The Hands Of God, I just find this release unnecessary. Why are both versions in it? The remix isn't being sold by itself at all, the original album still had plenty of copies in that same cd rack... it just baffles me. There aren't even any bonus tracks besides the ones that were already there. It's just more money for two discs of the same music, just one has an improved mix. Not that I ever had a problem with the original mix.

Offline PowerSlave

Who's Billy Sherwood and what makes his mix so much better?

He was the guitarist in Yes for awhile if I remember right.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
.........and a turd polisher of some repute.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I don't really get the hate for this album. I think it's pretty awesome. Sure, it's not classic Queensryche, and Jeoff Tate is a bit of a dick, but good music is good music, and I enjoy it quite a bit. Although I'm just fine with the original mix. Who's Billy Sherwood and what makes his mix so much better?

Cold was a decent little tune but the rest is just rubbish.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cruithne

Pretty much this. I'm not sure I'd use quite as strong a word as rubbish, I'd just stick with mediocre - entirely in keeping with what I'd expect from another bunch of Jason Slater tunes.

The only lasting entertainment FU provided was the rubbernecking joy of listening to the train wreck re-recordings of the classic QR hits and marvelling at the chutzpah of them blatantly re-using vocals from the original JCW recording.

I like The Weight Of The World and In The Hands Of God, I just find this release unnecessary. Why are both versions in it? The remix isn't being sold by itself at all, the original album still had plenty of copies in that same cd rack... it just baffles me. There aren't even any bonus tracks besides the ones that were already there. It's just more money for two discs of the same music, just one has an improved mix. Not that I ever had a problem with the original mix.

Because if there are 2 CDs in the package, then every sale it makes will count as "2 albums". Which I always thought was kind of a stupid rule when it came to CD sales, but hey, if it's there, why not exploit it?

Anyway, I like the album just fine. It's not at the top of my rotation, but when I feel like listening to something heavy but not aggressive, it satisfies every time. And I found the old school re-recordings enjoyable too. Always good to hear a different interpretation of beloved classics.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I don't really get the hate for this album.

Well, I think it has to do with:

good music is good music

You are right.  But the problem is that there is none on this album.  Zero.  It's just bad in every way.  Yeah, some people will hate on it simply because it is Geoff Tate trying to make a buck off the Queensryche name by passing off Jason Slater's songs and his hired guns as "Queensryche."  But the bigger issue is that it is just a lousy album full of bland, uninspired tripe.

Offline ozzy554

As much as I wanted to completely hate FU I thought it was ok. It may be his best solo album (although that isn't saying much.) I find it funny that this special edition comes out a few weeks after said that he closed the door on that chapter of his life. I guess not until he squeezes the last few dollars out of it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

You are right.  But the problem is that there is none on this album.  Zero.  It's just bad in every way.  Yeah, some people will hate on it simply because it is Geoff Tate trying to make a buck off the Queensryche name by passing off Jason Slater's songs and his hired guns as "Queensryche."  But the bigger issue is that it is just a lousy album full of bland, uninspired tripe.

What can I say? I disagree.

Offline jammindude

Couldn't be Geoff....must be Slater.   :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Couldn't be Geoff....must be Slater.   :angel:
You got me!

Although had you posted earlier, maybe I would've seen our avatar and said, "Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Offline jammindude

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Because if there are 2 CDs in the package, then every sale it makes will count as "2 albums". Which I always thought was kind of a stupid rule when it came to CD sales, but hey, if it's there, why not exploit it?

Anyway, I like the album just fine. It's not at the top of my rotation, but when I feel like listening to something heavy but not aggressive, it satisfies every time. And I found the old school re-recordings enjoyable too. Always good to hear a different interpretation of beloved classics.

Really?  IMO, they are jjust too painful to listen to.

They're on key, and not played sloppily. That's all I need. Again, not definitively, but I sure as heck don't skip them when I listen to the album.
Although I do think it was unnecessary, and a very cheap way to try and sell the album with "new versions" of beloved classics.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

They're on key, and not played sloppily. That's all I need. Again, not definitively, but I sure as heck don't skip them when I listen to the album.
Although I do think it was unnecessary, and a very cheap way to try and sell the album with "new versions" of beloved classics.

But, see, that is my main issue with everything I have heard from the album.  Unlike a lot of people on this forum, when someone says they like something I do not like or vice versa, I am normally content to just let it lie because tastes and opinions differ, and there is no right or wrong in that regard.  But this album is actually objectively bad because it is NOT on key and it IS played sloppily.  (It also contains what I consider to be bad songwriting/lyric writing, but those are subjective judgments, so I will leave that alone)  Add to that vocal delivery that is just improper singing technique, and I just cannot fathom why anyone could call this a good album.  Mind you, I have no problem with someone saying something like, "this is heavily flawed, but I can look past that and enjoy it anyway."  Hey, if you dig it, warts and all, cool.  But saying it doesn't have those flaws is baffling to me.

Offline jammindude

I'm afraid I have to side with Siskel on this one.   Thumbs WAY down...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm afraid I have to side with Siskel on this one.   Thumbs WAY down...

Just stop that right now!  Let's talk about football or religion instead so we can get back to disagreeing.

Offline jammindude

:lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

You're review of it when it came out was I think the single greatest post I've ever read.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

But, see, that is my main issue with everything I have heard from the album.  Unlike a lot of people on this forum, when someone says they like something I do not like or vice versa, I am normally content to just let it lie because tastes and opinions differ, and there is no right or wrong in that regard.  But this album is actually objectively bad because it is NOT on key and it IS played sloppily.  (It also contains what I consider to be bad songwriting/lyric writing, but those are subjective judgments, so I will leave that alone)  Add to that vocal delivery that is just improper singing technique, and I just cannot fathom why anyone could call this a good album.  Mind you, I have no problem with someone saying something like, "this is heavily flawed, but I can look past that and enjoy it anyway."  Hey, if you dig it, warts and all, cool.  But saying it doesn't have those flaws is baffling to me.

Well, I don't hear it. It's no masterpiece, but it just sounds like an average album to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

You're review of it when it came out was I think the single greatest post I've ever read.

Just for shits and giggles, I went and found it - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36090.msg1565339#msg1565339

Man that was a great read.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ha that is a great review! Pure anger.

I never bought FU but it can't be worse then Dedicated to Chaos. That is the biggest piece of shit I've ever heard bar none. I took my copy of DTC and launched it like a frisbee into a large garbage bin. Big smile too; I'm sure I would have done the same with fu

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Yeah, I don't recall anything on FU ever reaching the absurd stupidity of "That's how they do it on yooOOOUUtube, on yooOOOUUtube!" (I'm not ever letting that one get lived down. I remember just somehow being both angry and laughing my head off when I first heard that.). FU's just bland for the most part. DtC is almost painful to sit through.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
My sister bought me Dedicated To Cabaret for Christmas that year and it was hard to be honest when she asked me what I thought of it - but I had to  ;D   She's a QR fan too and would've asked me to play it for her if I said it was good.  I couldn't do that to myself.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human

Just for shits and giggles, I went and found it - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36090.msg1565339#msg1565339

That IS a great read. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Cruithne

Yeah, I don't recall anything on FU ever reaching the absurd stupidity of "That's how they do it on yooOOOUUtube, on yooOOOUUtube!" (I'm not ever letting that one get lived down. I remember just somehow being both angry and laughing my head off when I first heard that.). FU's just bland for the most part. DtC is almost painful to sit through.

I'm still suffering post-traumatic episodes caused by the Wot We Do video. I can't hear the word "delicious" without reflexively gagging.

The sad thing about DtC is that there's potentially quite a few decent tracks on it, but Tate destroyed them with the most tragic set of mid-life crisis lyrics he could possibly have written.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

lol, I forgot about that, but thanks for the compliment Chad.  Reading it back again I can really tell how angry I was by some spelling mistakes and other errors haha, especially in that first paragraph.  I don't think I've listened to it again since that review, and I don't intend too. 

I am quite impressed with that review reading back haha.

Speaking of DTC, I didn't mind that album.  I never listen to it, but for what it was, it was okay.  FU is just on another level in terms of mediocrity.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
A number of items have dropped in price.

The guitars were $7K I think, now $4K. Drum kit is $10K vs original $15K.

I think the hand written lyric sheet was more than $75 to start and your name in the liner notes was more than $150 too, but I'm not 100% sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If the guitars dropped to 2K, I'd seriously consider it.