Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695233 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Queensryche - Geoff Tate is out; Todd La Torre is in (p. 26)
« Reply #980 on: January 16, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
Excited about a return to form after so much turbulence over the years. It's a quite good release IMO with only issues a little short and the mastering which has been noted.

What I love about the band is their balance between rock, metal, prog over their career and many of us enjoy the band for different reasons (like some peoples issues with Promised Land for whatever reason - AMAZING album).

The latest release is a little straight forward for my tastes. I hope they still have some minor prog elements as in the past and like jjrock mentioned experimenting with sounds and song lengths (maybe at least a couple longer songs?).

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #981 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »
That's one of the things that always interests me about the Queensryche debates, that they need to do longer songs.

Were they really known for that, though? They operated in the 4-6 minute range far more than they did the 8-10 minute range, and most of their best songs were relatively shorter. The QR I loved wasn't one that was throwing out constant 10 minute tracks. While I wouldn't mind seeing them write good material at any length, a lot of people seem to be associating QR with long songs, and that really wasn't their thing.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #982 on: January 16, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »
That's one of the things that always interests me about the Queensryche debates, that they need to do longer songs.

Were they really known for that, though? They operated in the 4-6 minute range far more than they did the 8-10 minute range, and most of their best songs were relatively shorter. The QR I loved wasn't one that was throwing out constant 10 minute tracks. While I wouldn't mind seeing them write good material at any length, a lot of people seem to be associating QR with long songs, and that really wasn't their thing.

Yes and no.  I'm not saying they need to do epics all the time.  They DO have a few that range in the 7-10 minute range, and I can't think of a single of on those that are not awesome.  But even if they rarely or never do anything that long again, that's not really the issue.

In their earlier years, MOST of their songs were in the 4-5 minute range.  On the latest album, the average run time is a lot lower.  Not counting the two "transition"/intro pieces, 5 of the 9 songs don't even crack the 3:30 mark.  Each of those could do with another 20-30 seconds, at least.  And while that doesn't seem like much, it's all that is needed to help those songs breathe and build a bit more.  Sometimes, there's something to be said for the quick, to-the-point song.  That's all fine, and you can point to some songs where that works.  But others need just a bit more.  IMO, In This Light is a perfect example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LGaEOP86Kc  Very good song.  And I kind of like that it starts suddenly.  But the vocals coming in at only about 10 seconds in is too fast, it could use a bit more space between the first chorus and second verse, the transition into the solo is a bit too short, and while the outro solo is VERY nice, it also ends just a bit prematurely.  The second two issues probably aren't necessary, but fix the first two and you've got an outstanding song vs. one right now that feels structurally incomplete despite lots of outstanding moments.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #983 on: January 16, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »

Yes and no.  I'm not saying they need to do epics all the time.  They DO have a few that range in the 7-10 minute range, and I can't think of a single of on those that are not awesome.  But even if they rarely or never do anything that long again, that's not really the issue.

In their earlier years, MOST of their songs were in the 4-5 minute range.  On the latest album, the average run time is a lot lower.  Not counting the two "transition"/intro pieces, 5 of the 9 songs don't even crack the 3:30 mark.  Each of those could do with another 20-30 seconds, at least.  And while that doesn't seem like much, it's all that is needed to help those songs breathe and build a bit more.  Sometimes, there's something to be said for the quick, to-the-point song.  That's all fine, and you can point to some songs where that works.  But others need just a bit more.  IMO, In This Light is a perfect example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LGaEOP86Kc  Very good song.  And I kind of like that it starts suddenly.  But the vocals coming in at only about 10 seconds in is too fast, it could use a bit more space between the first chorus and second verse, the transition into the solo is a bit too short, and while the outro solo is VERY nice, it also ends just a bit prematurely.  The second two issues probably aren't necessary, but fix the first two and you've got an outstanding song vs. one right now that feels structurally incomplete despite lots of outstanding moments.

A great example and absolutely on the money. The album is full of moments where they could and should have stretched things out a little.
Open Road feels a bit of a missed opportunity. Great song. I love it, it just feels like it should build up a notch at the end.
I'm now off to listen to Roads To Madness,   No Sanctuary and Suite Sister Mary.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #984 on: January 16, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
3 great tunes there, Lowdz.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #985 on: January 16, 2014, 07:11:37 PM »
I wonder if some of the people that are bothered about the length of the songs versus the length of the songs in the classic period are being tricked a little bit by the way that the classic era albums flowed. What I mean by this is that often times on the classic albums many of the songs would flow into one another without a break between the songs. Of course, much of mindcrime is like that because it's a concept album and are constructed that way to tie the story together and there are examples of this on all of the other albums from that era. Maybe that makes some of the songs seem to be longer ect. ect...?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #986 on: January 17, 2014, 01:25:19 AM »
I wonder if some of the people that are bothered about the length of the songs versus the length of the songs in the classic period are being tricked a little bit by the way that the classic era albums flowed. What I mean by this is that often times on the classic albums many of the songs would flow into one another without a break between the songs. Of course, much of mindcrime is like that because it's a concept album and are constructed that way to tie the story together and there are examples of this on all of the other albums from that era. Maybe that makes some of the songs seem to be longer ect. ect...?

Possibly, I certainly see what you mean. QR generally didn't write long songs. I think its more about how the songs on the ST seem like they should be longer and that they seem to be in a rush to get to the end. They didn't let the songs breathe. Quick intro- straight into the verse- straight into the chorus sort of thing. Even the odd extended outro solo would have helped.
Oh and less distorted vocals next time. Let's hear the guy sing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #987 on: January 17, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
I'm only going to disagree to the extent that when they DID write an epic, it was usually some of their best material. 

It's true that their best album (RFO) had no long songs.   But in my mind, Suite Sister Mary is the single greatest piece of music they ever produced...and it's not even close.    Roads to Madness is easily a top 10 all time QR song as well.   (just wish the production on the original was a bit better)   The other (semi) epic that hasn't been done live with the new lineup is the title track from Promised Land...which has a big following as well.

They have done epics, and when they have done epics they have generally been revered as some of their best material.   I think that's what gets fans curious about what a newer epic may sound like.

That being said, I don't think you should "force" an epic.    If it comes, it should come naturally. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Vivace

Queensryche's new video for Redemption
« Reply #988 on: February 04, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »
It's always nice to watch a video from a band having fun, jamming, especially to a song as excellent as Redemption. This whole album is just stellar and it just a breath of fresh air to see the band look as happy as they are now. You can genuinely see that in this video.  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Eer13yWrU
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Queensryche's new video for Redemption
« Reply #989 on: February 04, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »
But... This video is very old.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #990 on: February 04, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
Um...this came out in October and is already in the Queensryche thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: February 04, 2014, 03:45:44 PM »
It's always nice to watch a video from a band having fun, jamming, especially to a song as excellent as Redemption. This whole album is just stellar and it just a breath of fresh air to see the band look as happy as they are now. You can genuinely see that in this video.  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Eer13yWrU

You're a little late bro.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Vivace

Re: Official Queensryche (not Geoff Tate) thread
« Reply #992 on: February 04, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
Oh... oh well.  :facepalm:
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: February 04, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
Still a great tune and a kickass album though.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: February 05, 2014, 07:31:10 AM »
I hadn't heard anything about the court case in a while, but then I saw this:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/geoff_tate_looking_forward_to_settling_queensryche_case.html

"Everything's kind of been on hold while we finish up our court case and everything, which we hope we'll finish up at the end of January. We're just in the final stages of trying to work out settlements now. For me at least, the last year and a half has been quite a difficult time. I'm looking forward to it being settled and moving on."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #995 on: February 05, 2014, 08:28:27 AM »
It's true that their best album (RFO) had no long songs.   

It's always interesting how music tastes can very. There are only 4 songs on that album I like, the rest I find to unlistenable.

The 4 are     "Walk in the Shadows", "The Whisper", "Surgical Strike", "Neue Regel".

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #996 on: February 05, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »
Indeed. I find it hard to imagine someone filing I Dream In Infrared, The Killing Words, London, I will Remember and Screaming in Digital as "unlistenable".

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #997 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »
I might give them all a listen again, I haven't listened to any of them in years. i fisrt heard them during my  :metal days now that I've  :chill I might find them  :hat. You get me?!  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #998 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
I might give them all a listen again, I haven't listened to any of them in years. i fisrt heard them during my  :metal days now that I've  :chill I might find them  :hat. You get me?!  :lol

Even if that isn't the case, I feel that RfO (along with Promised Land) is really one of those "grower" albums. It's very layered and complex with all of the synths and guitar-work. Not to mention that Neil Kernon's production style adds a bit of an atmosphere to the music, so you might have to adjust to that too.

That said, if you keep with it and give it time, RfO will generally give you plenty of rewards.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: February 05, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
RFO grew on me - Promised Land did not (I always liked One More Time but that's about it)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1000 on: March 04, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »
I didn't see a Geoff Tate thread...and I don't think he's worth making one.   But I thought this was good for a laugh.

https://www.king5.com/video?id=248383061&sec=619972

Geoff...with his band...doing The Kinks "Lola"....badly....with a freakin wig.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1001 on: March 04, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »
Mother of god

:rollin :rollin  :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: March 04, 2014, 05:35:28 PM »
Looks like he borrowed James Christian's hair  :D

He's just getting more and more pathetic and I'm surprised he can still pull a TV gig like that - although I have no idea of the status of that program.

On the positive side

- he did sound more in tune there than I've heard in a while

- it's an improvement on this

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1003 on: March 04, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
WTF did I just watch?! :lol

And WTF with that picture?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1004 on: March 04, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »
I didn't see a Geoff Tate thread...and I don't think he's worth making one.   But I thought this was good for a laugh.

https://www.king5.com/video?id=248383061&sec=619972

Geoff...with his band...doing The Kinks "Lola"....badly....with a freakin wig.   

It wasn't even his "band."  Just him and Jason Ames, with Miranda and some other unidentified...girls, gyrating in the background.  :facepalm:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: March 04, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
Who is the fat chick in that pic?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #1006 on: March 04, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »
Back up singer sounds better lol

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #1007 on: March 04, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »

I have no idea what this is from, but it has to be one of the worst costume ideas in the history of rock and metal performance. :rollin

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1008 on: March 04, 2014, 08:45:46 PM »
Looks like he borrowed James Christian's hair  :D

He's just getting more and more pathetic and I'm surprised he can still pull a TV gig like that - although I have no idea of the status of that program.

On the positive side

- he did sound more in tune there than I've heard in a while

I'd finally erased this image from my mind and would like to thank you for re-burning the image into my retinas.

The Cabaret tour is one of many reasons I was ecstatic when I found out he was fired from the band.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: March 04, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »
My pleasure ozzy  ;D

Here's a close up - not sure what he's up to there

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1010 on: March 04, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »
I think he's doing whatever he does in the bathroom in the morning.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1011 on: March 05, 2014, 02:41:08 AM »
I thought that was a fun video. Had I not known about Geoff Tate and all the stuff that went down over the years, I would have thought he's quite a character.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: March 05, 2014, 03:55:13 AM »
I thought that was a fun video. Had I not known about Geoff Tate and all the stuff that went down over the years, I would have thought he's quite a character.

Well, he is definitely quite a character, that's for sure.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: March 05, 2014, 06:35:07 AM »
Who is the fat chick in that pic?

Geoff Tate.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: March 05, 2014, 07:01:11 AM »
If QR didn't give this nutball the boot, this could've officially been a QR performance.