Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695907 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #6265 on: August 29, 2023, 02:15:13 PM »
I remember seeing QR at the Morristown NJ stop on the 30th Anniversary Tour.  Opening with "Get Started" didn't bode too well for the evening as I can't stand anything from DTC.  It was just a weird setlist for a 30th Anniversary celebration.  There was a stretch of like 4 songs that I'd heard maybe twice because they came from albums I just don't listen to.  "Hit The Black" was very cool to hear.  But, the fact that there were as many songs from both DTC and American Soldier as there were Mindcrime made this show very forgettable. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6266 on: August 29, 2023, 02:23:01 PM »
I think I've heard Get Started 2 or 3 times ever and will never listen to that song again.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6267 on: August 29, 2023, 02:44:07 PM »
The funny thing about DTC was that Slater would give Tate all these old demos he wrote to pick from. And they were like discarded ideas. And Tate would pick the worst of the bunch and want them fleshed out into songs. Slater used to laugh about it. Because he didn't want to give Tate any of his good ideas because of how American Soldier was handled. I remember a phone call between Jason and I, and he sent me this track, I listened to it (it was this very Pink Floyd-like track), and he goes "Tate ain't gettin' this one." And there were a couple of heavier tracks Jason said the same thing about. Slater never wanted to write songs for someone else to produce...and that's what Tate wanted after Mindcrime. He wanted Slater's songs, but didn't want him to produce -- he wanted to give that to Kelly Gray. But Slater outright refused to give up the tracks he loved to Tate because Tate was allegedly reneging on promises to pay Slater (I believe them wholeheartedly after seeing some of the financials Jason shared with me and emails back and forth). DTC was crap. Utter crap.

I'd probably get sued by the Tates if I released it, but I have some DTC demos that no one has ever heard with Tate's vocals. A terrible tune called "Princess" and some others. All stuff Jason sent to me years before he passed. Just crap. Jason sent them to me just so I knew what kind of songs that Tate really wanted to sing over (bad pop tunes). It was hysterical.

I don't think I listened to the entirety of "Get Started" more than twice. IIRC, it lacks teeth. No punch whatsoever.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6268 on: August 29, 2023, 02:47:25 PM »
Cool insight!

Dedicated to Chaos is one of the worst, if not the worst, album I've ever heard and I enjoyed throwing it away into a BFI and not hearing it again.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6269 on: August 29, 2023, 07:07:16 PM »
DTC and the Dedicated To Cabaret tour ended the band outright for me.  Complete and utter dross.

At least until Todd came on board but am convinced had that not happened things would not have improved again.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6270 on: August 29, 2023, 11:55:15 PM »
Frequency unknown was even worse than Dedicated to chaos. At least Dedicated to chaos had a memorable riff or two, Frequency unknown has nothing going for it.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6271 on: August 30, 2023, 02:26:18 AM »
That's fair but for my ears Frequency Unknown was Tate solo stamped Queensryche  :-\

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #6272 on: August 30, 2023, 05:33:26 PM »
i know there have been some controversies, but i'm firmly on TEAM TATE! his vocals and presence on stage have always captivated me, and i can't deny the impact he's had on the band's unique sound and my own musical journey. seriously, how can anyone hate on the genius behind operation: mindcrime?

TEAM TATE!!!!!
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6273 on: August 30, 2023, 06:38:28 PM »
i know there have been some controversies, but i'm firmly on TEAM TATE! his vocals and presence on stage have always captivated me, and i can't deny the impact he's had on the band's unique sound and my own musical journey. seriously, how can anyone hate on the genius behind operation: mindcrime?

TEAM TATE!!!!!

DragQueensryche! :neverusethis:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6274 on: August 30, 2023, 10:44:35 PM »

TEAM TATE!!!!!

No one hates on Operation: Mindcrime (well…not the album anyway…and we don’t really hate the band either, that’s just more of a general type of pathetic. I feel sorry for the band members the same way I feel sorry for Vince Neil’s backing band when he did his ill fated solo tour)

And I don’t think anyone here will deny that from 82-94ish, there was literally no greater voice in metal…possibly even in history.

But his completely toxic meltdown and the disrespect he showered on both the fans and his band mates made Charlie Sheen look like Tom Hanks.  Even back when he was at the top of his game, he had the reputation in the music industry of being the biggest egotistical ass in history, but everyone looked the other way because of his literally “once in a lifetime” phenomenal talent.  But once his voice started going out, and his writing talent turned to festering dog snot, and he turned his back on everyone who helped him get to where he was…there was nothing left but an megalomaniac dickweed.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6275 on: August 31, 2023, 07:28:13 AM »
You nailed it!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6276 on: August 31, 2023, 07:51:24 AM »
seriously, how can anyone hate on the genius behind operation: mindcrime?

Because he's also the "genius" behind Dedicated to Chaos?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6277 on: August 31, 2023, 08:32:20 AM »
So Ross Halfin just put up a book on Queensr˙che for pre-order. I grabbed it right at 7 a.m. Pacific, when it went up. Here's the link: https://www.rufuspublications.com/rufusbooks/queensryche/

I was here at the office early, refreshing the screen, and got on, and had two options. The $345 signed and numbered version, or the absolute #1 version, which they were selling at $1,280!!!!! WTF?! Of course, I put it in the cart, realized I might be sleeping outside had I bought it (the wife is a massive metal fan and classic QR was here favorite - like mine - for years, but she would have killed me), and thought better. The moment I dropped it from my cart, and bought the non-number 1 version, the number 1 was gone and unavailable. Cheers to whoever got it. I think I know the four or five people other than me that would have done it. So, if you're out there, Mike, Kory, or Thomas, cheers! I just didn't want to spend that much.

But the book looks awesome. And my book, Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) is going to be the perfect compliment to it (and it will NOT cost $345 bucks, probably more like $60-$100 - or lower - depending on the version. Total guess, haven't talked price yet, since we haven't printed it and seen the cost).

Anyway, the Halfin book will be cool, and is signed by him, Tate, DeGarmo, Wilton, and Jackson. Guess they elected not to include Rockenfield, or he elected not to. A shame.

re: QR - I think the fan base has gone through enough "sides." QR as I love it has been gone for many, many years. Now, I just go see Tate, or go see the current QR when I feel like some nostalgia, and do my own part to make sure the classic, original lineup history is preserved...ACCURATELY...for everyone. The Roads to Madness book will be exactly that. Celebrating a great band, and archiving their live performance history.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6278 on: August 31, 2023, 09:29:47 AM »

TEAM TATE!!!!!

No one hates on Operation: Mindcrime (well…not the album anyway…and we don’t really hate the band either, that’s just more of a general type of pathetic. I feel sorry for the band members the same way I feel sorry for Vince Neil’s backing band when he did his ill fated solo tour)

And I don’t think anyone here will deny that from 82-94ish, there was literally no greater voice in metal…possibly even in history.

But his completely toxic meltdown and the disrespect he showered on both the fans and his band mates made Charlie Sheen look like Tom Hanks.  Even back when he was at the top of his game, he had the reputation in the music industry of being the biggest egotistical ass in history, but everyone looked the other way because of his literally “once in a lifetime” phenomenal talent.  But once his voice started going out, and his writing talent turned to festering dog snot, and he turned his back on everyone who helped him get to where he was…there was nothing left but an megalomaniac dickweed.

Ohter than Tate being a gernerational talent and the best vocalist in R NR History ( maybe )  I dont agree with much the above.. and to my eyes ite not accurate
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #6279 on: August 31, 2023, 09:38:12 AM »

TEAM TATE!!!!!

Ohter than Tate being a gernerational talent and the best vocalist in R NR History ( maybe )  I dont agree with much the above.. and to my eyes ite not accurate

rock on brother - one might even say that this is an "epic view" :rollin :metal
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #6280 on: August 31, 2023, 10:37:06 AM »
Some people just can't let the whole "Team XX" mentality go :natalieportman:

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6281 on: August 31, 2023, 10:51:21 AM »

Tate was an iconic metal vocalist for a solid decade. But I agree, what he did was horrendous. Not just the physical and verbal assaults of his bandmates, but what he tried to pull under their noses (sell the movie rights to Mindcrime). Tate has always known he's a great singer. But he likely would never have gotten to where he did without everyone else. I think in particular, without Chris DeGarmo. People forget -- while Tate wrote a lot of lyrics, Chris wrote a lot of the vocal melodies, and steered Tate a bit. When Chris came back for Tribe, and Tate resisted that, Chris left again (assuming that was one of multiple reasons). So Queensryche was very much a sum of its parts, not one man. Just listen to the vocal melodies Tate has done, post-Chris. They've not been the same, AT ALL. Q2k through current. Good vocal melodies are lacking. It's pretty obvious. Queensryche, as I said, very much a sum of its parts.

I'd like to think in the last few years, as Tate has aged and his life has changed, that he has mended fences with everyone. He certainly appears (from the outside looking in) a bit more humble and appreciative. I'm sure he's still the same guy generally (and that's not any of my business), but I hope this Halfin project at least got them to smile a bit together.

All that said though -- the truth is the truth. Tate did some horrendous things, and while people have moved on (and some have tried to forget them), they are facts that can never be undone. Just made up for. My .02 -- if you want to hear QR tunes, go see Tate and go see the current QR. Just enjoy the music. Try not to nitpick. It took me a long time to reach that stage. I'm not "happy" with how either side performs the songs. But I know that's as much as I'm going to get, so when I do go, I just try to enjoy it and sing the songs I love. These guys won't be here forever. Enjoy what you can, when you can.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:56:53 AM by Samsara »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6282 on: August 31, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »
My only point is I met them during the early days and tours and Tate was actually the nicest guy and I never saw him ever not be kind to all the fans and many times go above the call to make sure fans were made happy, MANY MANY other rockstars metal stars back then that I met were complete aholes but nobody gave a damn it was the crazy 80s, It appears Tate was driven to anger by his old bandmates and it got out of hand, but thats between grown %ss men so I dont care as nobody knows what the real dynamic was but those involved and it appears to my eye the "war" came out of the "tiffs" the wives and family had with each other that fueled a lot of hostility.  I with my eyes witnessed Tates kindness so when I read stuff that hes a "bad guy" and know how many truly nasty dumb ignorant rockstars exist and I have met it bothers me that somehow people think Tates a bad guy or like that type... has anyone here witness him being a jerk? I know with my eyes I saw him make sure disabled people got good seats, that they got to meet him talk to him and have him sign stuff and shake their hands and other very kind gestures.  to me Tates a good dude. I have seen him be the only one to meet then fans when others in band chose to not to and he had to be exhausted, 

all my opinion and my views
EV..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6283 on: August 31, 2023, 01:54:08 PM »
has anyone here witness him being a jerk?

Yes, and some here (and on a former QR board) have posted about that, including me posting about my own experiences with him.  It's great that you had a positive experience with him.  And, yes, there are great examples of him doing really kind things for some fans.  But:  (1) That doesn't diminish the pretty well documented negative experiences of many.  (2) Given the negative experiences of many, the positive experiences of some actually make him look worse, because that shows it is a conscious choice on his part to treat some well (because he knows how and has demonstrated that) and treat others poorly.  It's almost more understandable if someone is just a jerk to everyone, and you know that's just their personality and you get what you get when you deal with them.  It's another when they deem certain people worthy of good behavior and others not worth their time and common courtesy.  Again, that makes it a conscious decision.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6284 on: August 31, 2023, 02:00:00 PM »
My only point is I met them during the early days and tours and Tate was actually the nicest guy and I never saw him ever not be kind to all the fans and many times go above the call to make sure fans were made happy, MANY MANY other rockstars metal stars back then that I met were complete aholes but nobody gave a damn it was the crazy 80s, It appears Tate was driven to anger by his old bandmates and it got out of hand, but thats between grown %ss men so I dont care as nobody knows what the real dynamic was but those involved and it appears to my eye the "war" came out of the "tiffs" the wives and family had with each other that fueled a lot of hostility.  I with my eyes witnessed Tates kindness so when I read stuff that hes a "bad guy" and know how many truly nasty dumb ignorant rockstars exist and I have met it bothers me that somehow people think Tates a bad guy or like that type... has anyone here witness him being a jerk? I know with my eyes I saw him make sure disabled people got good seats, that they got to meet him talk to him and have him sign stuff and shake their hands and other very kind gestures.  to me Tates a good dude. I have seen him be the only one to meet then fans when others in band chose to not to and he had to be exhausted, 

EV..

Geoff's behavior from 1995 onwards was documented in the court records after he was fired from the band.  Ultimately, he tried to sell Queensryche's intellectual property (the rights to the Mindcrime story) to a movie producer behind the band's back and would have made a profit of $1 million without the band knowing about it.  He employed his family members through the band's fan club and merchandise, his wife was paid as their manager, and the Tate family seemed to profit off of the backs of the band.  When the band questioned this in 2012, the shit hit the fan.

I'm sure he was fairly cool to many fans over the years, like you, but that doesn't necessarily reflect how he acted towards his bandmates internally. 

I can be pretty objective about the band now, without feeling like one side is better or worse than the other and enjoy aspects of both Geoff and the band's work and shows.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6285 on: August 31, 2023, 02:03:02 PM »
My experience was different. I met several radio personalities in the Seattle area in the 80s. I was fascinated by their lives and jobs and ask them pretty standard questions…

“What’s it like?”
“Who have you met!”
“Who was the nicest?”
“Ever met anyone who was a real jerk?”

The funny thing is, I would hear from several of them, “the guys in QR are great, but their lead singer is the most egotistical asshole I’ve ever met in my life.”   This was a response I heard more than once and it was back in the EP/Warning days.  Then I met him at a Kiss concert in 1987 (pre-OMC) and I had a very similar experience. In fact he was acting like such a major conceited jerk that Whip (who I hadn’t noticed at first) had to dive into the conversation to save the day. And he was super nice, kind, even talked to me about the new album they were in the middle of recording (which would turn out to be OMC).  And then after that experience I heard many more reports among musicians (Portnoy was the most vocal, but there were many others) about what an insufferable jerk he was.

IDK…it’s like I’ve never heard a single good thing about the guy when he wasn’t at some form of official function where he *had* to be.   So based on ALL of that, plus my personal experience, plus the crap he pulled with the band.  Let’s just say if it looks like duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, you’ve got a duck.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6286 on: August 31, 2023, 02:17:10 PM »
has anyone here witness him being a jerk?

Yes, and some here (and on a former QR board) have posted about that, including me posting about my own experiences with him.  It's great that you had a positive experience with him.  And, yes, there are great examples of him doing really kind things for some fans.  But:  (1) That doesn't diminish the pretty well documented negative experiences of many.  (2) Given the negative experiences of many, the positive experiences of some actually make him look worse, because that shows it is a conscious choice on his part to treat some well (because he knows how and has demonstrated that) and treat others poorly.  It's almost more understandable if someone is just a jerk to everyone, and you know that's just their personality and you get what you get when you deal with them.  It's another when they deem certain people worthy of good behavior and others not worth their time and common courtesy.  Again, that makes it a conscious decision.

Boss... good to see you and I pray things are better for you today!!!.... may I ask what that experience was?  I met them all  and each time was pretty consistent, so IDK   I guess nobody really knows  could be good day vs bad day ... I can say I met many many rockstars back then and some were just bad guys period.  I guess witnessing Tate make so many happy and seing him really do nice things and never seeing otherwise is why I speak that hes a fine guy and I truly believe that ( yes we are flawed humans and tate is also )

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #6287 on: August 31, 2023, 02:19:06 PM »
it seems that the dogs will always try to hold the panthers back. i suggest that tate's detractors watch one of brad bird's movies, like the incredibles.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6288 on: August 31, 2023, 02:23:09 PM »
My experience was different. I met several radio personalities in the Seattle area in the 80s. I was fascinated by their lives and jobs and ask them pretty standard questions…

“What’s it like?”
“Who have you met!”
“Who was the nicest?”
“Ever met anyone who was a real jerk?”

The funny thing is, I would hear from several of them, “the guys in QR are great, but their lead singer is the most egotistical asshole I’ve ever met in my life.”   This was a response I heard more than once and it was back in the EP/Warning days.  Then I met him at a Kiss concert in 1987 (pre-OMC) and I had a very similar experience. In fact he was acting like such a major conceited jerk that Whip (who I hadn’t noticed at first) had to dive into the conversation to save the day. And he was super nice, kind, even talked to me about the new album they were in the middle of recording (which would turn out to be OMC).  And then after that experience I heard many more reports among musicians (Portnoy was the most vocal, but there were many others) about what an insufferable jerk he was.

IDK…it’s like I’ve never heard a single good thing about the guy when he wasn’t at some form of official function where he *had* to be.   So based on ALL of that, plus my personal experience, plus the crap he pulled with the band.  Let’s just say if it looks like duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, you’ve got a duck.

thanks for sharing JD!!  I can only go by my experiences and I always surprised how giving he was ..   the last time I met GT was on the Tribe tour. have had no contact that I can remember since   well if it helps I can tell you he  "can be" very very nice insightful and patient with the fans as they are in awe as they try to tell him how much they love him the band a song or a story etc. I dont remember back then him having a bad rep?  Scott to me was on and off, Ed MIke and Chris all very nice also, Mike Stone super nice,

hey some people think Im the best   others dont : ). (PS I am LOL )

I could tell some very wild funny crazy stories of back then especially one show that it got out of control with fans trying to break into their dressing room lounge area...Ed was very funny that night,,,Geoff was quite calm in the storm and funny too.  I miss the old days I dontt think those days can ever come back in todays society sadly,  I gotta think deep down they miss each other

I love thinking about all this old stuff everyone!!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 02:37:29 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6289 on: August 31, 2023, 02:37:25 PM »
I just want to reiterate that it does seem like every positive story I’ve heard about Tate’s behavior, was when he is at some form of function where he knows he’s going to be interacting with fans in some way, shape, or form, and thus has had an opportunity to prepare and put on his best “game face”.  And I believe that’s what Bosk is alluding to.  He comes across as if he can be nice when he feels it’s necessary, but it’s not his nature.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6290 on: August 31, 2023, 02:39:15 PM »
it seems that the dogs will always try to hold the panthers back. i suggest that tate's detractors watch one of brad bird's movies, like the incredibles.

I guess those Sneeches are not the best on the Beaches.  They mostly likely have no stars on thars…

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6291 on: August 31, 2023, 02:42:32 PM »
I just want to reiterate that it does seem like every positive story I’ve heard about Tate’s behavior, was when he is at some form of function where he knows he’s going to be interacting with fans in some way, shape, or form, and thus has had an opportunity to prepare and put on his best “game face”.  And I believe that’s what Bosk is alluding to.  He comes across as if he can be nice when he feels it’s necessary, but it’s not his nature.

funny I was just thinking is GT an extrovert or an introvert... Id say on the cusp

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6292 on: August 31, 2023, 02:53:11 PM »
it seems that the dogs will always try to hold the panthers back.

Yeah, you'll always have people like that.  And that's a shame when people try to knock other people down.  But that isn't what's going on here.  Not at all.  What people are discussing in this thread isn't singling someone out who is at the top of their game and trying to take them down a peg.  NOBODY here would dispute Tate's ability back in the '80s and early '90s, or his part of the collective influence QR has had on the music scene, or anything.  What people are talking about are objective, undisputed, well-documented facts.  The things Grappler posted are facts.  The things people like myself, JD, Samsara, PG and others have posted about what happened during their personal interactions with Tate are facts.  The things captured on video that show Tate acting in similar ways are facts.  You can say that none of that bothers you, and you still hold Tate up on a pedestal.  That's cool.  That's totally your prerogative and your right.  But what you can NOT do is tell others that the facts don't matter to them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6293 on: August 31, 2023, 02:58:09 PM »

EV..

re: Tate and the band

I'm not going to rehash the whole "why" behind the split. I was, unfortunately, a catalyst of getting that ball moving. Something I regret being a part of, and apologized to Tate many years ago, to which he was appreciative of the apology. Suffice it to say, there were mistakes and deliberate actions taken on both sides, and a lot of finger pointing. The culmination being Tate's violent acts backstage and on stage, and giving cause for the band to cut him loose. What happened, happened. It shouldn't have. And I am sure everyone involved feels the same way -- I assume that they wish it never got to that point. But once the ball was moving, it wasn't going to stop.

re: commentary on fan interaction with Tate

I have witnessed Geoff Tate be the nicest guy, and I have witnessed him be rude and hoiler than thou. He's just a guy. A person. Mood swings happen. Back in the day, he was a little bit different when he was by himself, as opposed to when his wife was around with him. That's just candid observation.

For what it's worth, I'm glad people have great memories of interacting with Geoff. I have great memories with him too. But just because your personal memories are great, EPICVIEW, doesn't mean others have experienced him in the same way. I've heard everything jammindude has said. From people that live in Seattle and are part of the scene. But to be fair, it must have been crazy to be Geoff Tate from 1983-1992. Always in the spotlight, always having to be "on." First because of his talent, and later because of their success. Tate was always the focal point. That changes a person, or at the very least, exacerbates negative personality traits. I'm not excusing any rude conduct, but just saying that a person's experience with Geoff could wildly differ depending on when you caught him, and what was being asked of him. When you're being pulled in 1,000 different directions, by 1,000 different people, all of whom process your reaction and words differently, there are bound to be both great and poor experiences.

I don't have the wool over my eyes. I know the personalities involved, and I remember the facts. I haven't forgotten. I remember the good interactions and the bad interactions. But is it worth it to be angry, or to actively be negative toward any of them and what they do? Nah. I just choose to support what the original members of QR do, in the forms they provide it in, and wish them all success.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #6294 on: August 31, 2023, 03:04:13 PM »
it seems that the dogs will always try to hold the panthers back.

Yeah, you'll always have people like that.  And that's a shame when people try to knock other people down.  But that isn't what's going on here.  Not at all.  What people are discussing in this thread isn't singling someone out who is at the top of their game and trying to take them down a peg.  NOBODY here would dispute Tate's ability back in the '80s and early '90s, or his part of the collective influence QR has had on the music scene, or anything.  What people are talking about are objective, undisputed, well-documented facts.  The things Grappler posted are facts.  The things people like myself, JD, Samsara, PG and others have posted about what happened during their personal interactions with Tate are facts.  The things captured on video that show Tate acting in similar ways are facts.  You can say that none of that bothers you, and you still hold Tate up on a pedestal.  That's cool.  That's totally your prerogative and your right.  But what you can NOT do is tell others that the facts don't matter to them.

i totally get where you're coming from, and i apologize if i came across as overly defensive. i see some of myself in geoff and i admit that maybe those projections led to me coming up with excuses for some of his past behavior where there really are none. you're right that the facts are more important than my personal feelings and the experiences of others shouldn't be dismissed. it's a fair point and i should better learn to appreciate an artist's contributions while also acknowledging their flaws. thank you.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6295 on: August 31, 2023, 09:37:42 PM »
While I don't have any bad experiences with Tate personally, I do recall reading somewhere (I wish I could find it, but doing a Google search yielded nothing) that when Scott Ian met QR - can't remember if it was before they opened for Metallica or if it was while they were opening for Metallica - but Scott expressed similar negative thoughts to the kind that Jammindude quoted many locals as saying.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #6296 on: September 03, 2023, 11:43:40 PM »
How Queensryche orders a coffee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6_Qfffs0Yc
The ones for Nightwish and Kamelot are also hilarious! Such a clever gimmick and that guy has quite an impressive vocal range

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6297 on: September 04, 2023, 07:28:56 AM »
The ones for Nightwish and Kamelot are also hilarious! Such a clever gimmick and that guy has quite an impressive vocal range

I meant to post this yesterday.

The Sabaton one is awesome!!

Yeah, that’s the singer for Lords Of The Trident. The dude has some pipes. I love that band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #6298 on: September 04, 2023, 11:16:27 AM »

and i raise my head and stare....... INTO THE EYES OF A BARISTA :metal :metal :metal :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6299 on: September 04, 2023, 11:21:00 AM »

and i raise my head and stare....... INTO THE EYES OF A BARISTA :metal :metal :metal :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin

That was hilarious  :lol :lol