Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 694444 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5740 on: September 19, 2022, 01:33:02 PM »
Sounds good Brian! I'm looking forward to the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5741 on: September 19, 2022, 04:50:56 PM »
Well, today Digital Noise Alliance went out to the media for early reviews. I've had it for a little while, but don't want to steal the thunder from those writing more in-depth reviews.

All I'll say is this, for now: I think Tormentum, the closing track, which clocks in at 7:30, is one of the best songs from the La Torre era. It was one of three or four tracks on the 11-track record that I hit "repeat" on. I'll be interested to read everyone's initial thoughts. But I think folks will really love the closing tune.

Nice.  Wasn't anticipating this one much but this has sparked my interest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #5742 on: September 20, 2022, 11:33:54 PM »

I noticed "Rebel Yell" is listed as a bonus track. Did they really cover Billy Idol?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5743 on: September 21, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »

I noticed "Rebel Yell" is listed as a bonus track. Did they really cover Billy Idol?

No idea. My version of the album doesn't have it. I assume so though. There's no way that's a Wilton-Jackson pick, so I am assuming it's a Todd pick.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline emtee

« Reply #5744 on: September 21, 2022, 09:54:29 AM »
Good report Samsara. This will be my first QR  purchase since American Soldier.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5745 on: September 21, 2022, 10:02:59 AM »
let me add...Tormentum was by far and away the best track. The rest are fine, but I didn't like any of them nearly as much as that one. I'd go into song descriptions, but I think it's best for people who are going to review the record to publish those first. Last time I did a first listen, track by track account was on Condition Human, and some folks weren't happy I did that...  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5746 on: September 22, 2022, 09:26:06 PM »

They did!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5747 on: September 23, 2022, 07:06:28 AM »
let me add...Tormentum was by far and away the best track. The rest are fine, but I didn't like any of them nearly as much as that one. I'd go into song descriptions, but I think it's best for people who are going to review the record to publish those first. Last time I did a first listen, track by track account was on Condition Human, and some folks weren't happy I did that...  :lol

Hi Brian! Do you think the rest of the album is basically at the level of the 3 singles released so far?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5748 on: September 23, 2022, 08:17:22 AM »
Yeah, somewhat. There is one song that has a bit of a thrashy vibe which is cool, and like I said Tormentum was awesome.

I had this overall feeling that the record was a lot of different styles thrown in a blender. For some, that will work really well. For others, it may be off-putting. Obviously, it's an individual thing. I noticed, like I said, some thrashy elements in one song (Sicdeth), I got an "Another Rainy Night" musical vibe from "Chapters," the tune "Out of the Black" reminded me musically of "Breaking the Silence" and "I Don't Believe in Love" somewhat, etc.

Again, I don't want to say much more and steal the thunder from those writing reviews. You can probably tell I'm not sharing my overall opinion. That's on purpose. I'll say what I think (if anyone cares) once the record is out.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5749 on: September 23, 2022, 08:36:57 AM »
I'm not writing a review, but I have a chat with Todd next week.

Samsara, I agree with your point that this is a very diverse collection of songs. Honestly, in the previous albums with Todd I felt they were way too focused on capturing the classical QR sound, but on this one I have more a sense of "anything goes". And it's a good thing, in my view. There are some really heavy moments on the album, although not at the level of Todd's solo offering from last year.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5750 on: September 23, 2022, 08:53:19 AM »
Cool! Let's see... those 3 released songs are good, but none of them impressed me as well than the lead singles from the other albums with Todd.
 Thank you both for sharing your impressions.  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5751 on: September 23, 2022, 09:33:55 AM »
I'm glad to hear that it sounds like there's more variety on this one.  I liked The Verdict, but all the songs sounded kinda similar.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5752 on: September 25, 2022, 04:31:49 PM »
Just listened to the 3 new songs again and pre-ordered the album. Don't want to be all hyperbolic, gaga but music is a beast unto itself and sometimes it strikes like a title wave. For some reason, these songs are hitting me in this way. If the rest of the album is as strong as the 3 singles this will be my album of the year. Absolutely loving the songs. Feels like re-energized classic QR  but also fresh and new. Can't wait for my first full spin!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5753 on: September 25, 2022, 04:58:30 PM »
I had this overall feeling that the record was a lot of different styles thrown in a blender. For some, that will work really well. For others, it may be off-putting. Obviously, it's an individual thing.

Honestly, that description sounds more like "classic Queensryche" and has me more excited than probably any other description could.  During what I consider the "golden age of the band" (pretty much the original lineup era), their hallmark was experimenting with a lot of different styles that would have a lot of fans scratching their heads on first listen to any new release.  I loved that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #5754 on: September 30, 2022, 02:00:48 PM »
Review of Digital Noise Alliance. The reviewer gave it 5 out of 5.

http://knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=43158

Offline emtee

« Reply #5755 on: September 30, 2022, 02:55:22 PM »
Review has me pumped because it echoes my thoughts about the new songs. One of them feels like it could have been on RFO. Forest sounds like an Empire song. Using those old amps must have really done some magic.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5756 on: September 30, 2022, 03:42:04 PM »
Well, the reviewer already spelled BELLEVUE incorrect, and buried his lead somewhere in the third paragraph halfway down the page after all the recent band history. So not quite sure I'd trust the review.  :lol

I'd also disagree that Sicdeth is closest to the band's 80s sound. To be honest, it sounds the closest to La Torre's solo album with the thrashier elements in it.

The record is out in two weeks, and folks have had a week or so to review it now and I haven't seen much I felt was accurate. So I am reversing course. Here is an off-the-cuff, small review from me to head into the weekend:

Queensryche's Digital Noise Alliance is an apropos title for the band's latest album. The record sounds like a band throwing differing elements (DNA) of its classic sound to the wall, along with some new twists, and hoping that the blend will stick and resonate with the fanbase.

The result is a mixed bag of songs that makes this listener feel like Queensryche is struggling to find a cohesive direction as they eclipse 40 years as a band.

"Chapters" sounds like it was influenced by "Another Rainy Night (Without You)." "Sicdeth" introduces a bit of thrash metal into Queensryche's sound. "Forest" is an obvious attempt to hit that "Silent Lucidity," "Open Road"-like vibe. "Out of the Black" harkens back to side two of Operation: Mindcrime, conjuring up a feeling of "Breaking the Silence" and "I Don't Believe in Love."

In Queensryche's original form, and even during the years leading up to Geoff Tate's departure in 2012, Queensryche albums always differed from one another. That ambiguity about what to expect was one of Queensryche's hallmarks. But the material within each record had a commonality about it - a vision and cohesive direction. Digital Noise Alliance is the opposite. You feel each song pushing and pulling against one another, style-wise. A collection of tracks that have no unified "sound." It's hard to describe. It's not just a diverse collection of tracks. It's an album that in some ways doesn't know what it wants to be. Perhaps that was by design. But I'm not sure it works.

That said, however, the highlights are outstanding. "Tormentum" is by far and away the gem on Digital Noise Alliance, and quite possibly one of the most adventurous and exciting songs in Queensryche's catalog. It has a darker and violent edge to it, in some ways reminiscent of some of the band's longer epics such as "Suite Sister Mary" or "Condition Human." But despite some similarities, it feels very unique and different for the band. Another standout is "Realms," which feels like a long lost cousin from Fates Warning's 1997 opus A Pleasant Shade of Gray.

Overall, fans of Queensryche's current period with Todd La Torre are sure to enjoy Digital Noise Alliance. The singer showcases different sides of his voice and if you're familiar with his past work and solo material, you can feel his imprint all over the record. Guitarist Michael Wilton's signature sound is also very prominent (likely thanks to Wilton and producer Zeuss using some of the guitarist's vintage gear and settings from Queensryche's heyday), helping tie the material to Queensryche's classic period.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

*edited to add a comma and fix a word or two.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 04:07:15 PM by Samsara »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #5757 on: September 30, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »
I figured the 5 out of 5 review was over-enthusiastic. It would have to be a masterpiece to rate that.

Thanks for the more realistic review, Brian.  :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5758 on: September 30, 2022, 06:24:40 PM »
Aside from the songs that were already revealed, I love Sicdeth and Out of the Black. I understand those who feel the album has no direction, because there's a whole range of styles explored here, but honestly I didn't think of it as a disjointed effort.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #5759 on: September 30, 2022, 06:35:09 PM »
While there was an underlying theme of sorts throughout Empire, after Rage then Mindcrime it was an obvious departure from that template and personally like when they change things up so am more keen than was after reading this thanks for the review B

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5761 on: October 03, 2022, 07:25:09 AM »
I haven't heard a single note from this new  album. I'm a bit excited about this release since I loved The Verdict.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5762 on: October 03, 2022, 11:46:51 AM »
Well, the reviewer already spelled BELLEVUE incorrect, and buried his lead somewhere in the third paragraph halfway down the page after all the recent band history. So not quite sure I'd trust the review.  :lol

Well, if you're going to correct the spelling, you might want to know that the phrase is actually "buried the lede".   :P 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5763 on: October 03, 2022, 12:16:03 PM »

Well, if you're going to correct the spelling, you might want to know that the phrase is actually "buried the lede".   :P

I'm aware. But both spellings are acceptable. I chose the one that I preferred. Perhaps you didn't know that? Go Google the idiom and and you'll see the history.

One thing's for certain, Bellevue is the official and only spelling of the town in Washington state.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 12:30:26 PM by Samsara »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5765 on: October 05, 2022, 08:19:28 PM »
Awww, shucks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5766 on: October 06, 2022, 04:46:02 AM »
Nice one mate!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5767 on: October 06, 2022, 12:32:38 PM »
Amazon delivered the new album...TODAY!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5768 on: October 06, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

Nice! Interested to hear your thoughts. The reviews across the board (short of the normal fanboy ones) have been fairly positive. Excited to hear it tomorrow.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5769 on: October 06, 2022, 01:52:27 PM »

Day early is cool. Interested in what you think.

Obviously, you've read what I think. Solid 3.5/5.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5770 on: October 06, 2022, 01:56:48 PM »

I got a notification of delivery tomorrow. Usually I get an auto-rip download from Amazon with the physical CD. Did you get one? I figured maybe I'd get the download today and the CD tomorrow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5771 on: October 06, 2022, 01:58:19 PM »
If it was Autorip eligible, I think the link shows up in my email after midnight tonight.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5772 on: October 06, 2022, 01:59:48 PM »
Thanks, Brother.

Did you spin it yet?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5773 on: October 06, 2022, 02:48:53 PM »
OK..one listen down.

This album made an excellent first impression. It is energetic and heavy. The production is outstanding.
Casey's drumming is confident and strong.

I feel like the first half is stronger than the second half on the whole.
Forest, which has already been released is easily the worst song here. Second place in that regard is Hold On which feels a bit cheesy.

As Sam says, Tormentum is very interesting, but I feel like it just ends out of nowhere. I'll have to hear it again. But it's cool as shit!

What jumped out at me was just how strong the guitar rhythms are. Like I said, the production is stellar so it all sounds good, but the rhythms are nice and chunky.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5774 on: October 06, 2022, 02:53:59 PM »
Tim,

Yeah. I agree with that. I wasn't a fan of Forest AT ALL when it was released, and think that is probably the weakest song on there. There's another too...I can't remember, that really just seemed weird to me, but not in a good way.

But the record absolutely SOUNDS good. Zeuss did a good job, IMO.