Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 694245 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5530 on: May 20, 2022, 04:25:28 PM »
Even some of the deeper cuts like Hand on Heart, One and Only, Resistance - all great tracks. And the production...I mean, there's a reason studios used that record to test sound. Just a wonderful sounding record.

I am amazed at how great Hand On Heart is to this day. It really stands out on recent listens to Empire.

One last thing - about Tate and that interview. I am sure things were edited, that stuff always is. But it was really nice to hear him compliment his former bandmates and think fondly of everything they did together. People can be skeptical, and that's fine. But for me, personally, at this point in my life, I'm just taking the nice things I heard, smiling, and wishing them all the best. That original band and its music meant and still means, an awful lot to me personally and it felt good to hear Geoff in a place where he feels good about all of it and credits everyone for being essential parts of what made Queensryche what it once was.

Amen, Brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5531 on: May 20, 2022, 05:08:20 PM »
Hand on Heart is probably top 3 of the album IMO.  The chorus is beautiful and the transition into the solo is magic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5532 on: May 20, 2022, 06:20:51 PM »
Hand on Heart is probably top 3 of the album IMO.  The chorus is beautiful and the transition into the solo is magic.

I think my top 3 would be (not necessarily in order) Best I Can, Resistance and Anybody Listening?  HOH is probably next, then ARN and JCW, followed by the rest in an undetermined order.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5533 on: May 20, 2022, 06:59:28 PM »
To me, One And Only is my least fave, but I must say that I was never really fond of Resistance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #5534 on: May 20, 2022, 07:04:34 PM »
Resistance is unlistenable to me. Never liked it. One and only isn’t far behind.
Hand on Heart - some awesome parts in this song but I’ve always thought the chorus is just so soft and sappy. These days as an old bloke I can tolerate it more but still don’t love it.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5535 on: May 20, 2022, 07:11:31 PM »
Scott just shared the new QR album clip/animation on Facebook, saying "let's rock. :)" I wonder if he's on better terms with the band now.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline WardySI

« Reply #5536 on: May 20, 2022, 07:41:31 PM »
Always loved Hand On Heart still do!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5537 on: May 20, 2022, 07:46:57 PM »
The Metal Voice just posted the artwork and title of the new album. I didn’t see anyone post it here. I don’t know how to post pictures, but apparently the new album is called Digital Noise Alliance and it has the tri-ryche symbol made up like a DNA helix.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5538 on: May 20, 2022, 07:50:25 PM »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5539 on: May 20, 2022, 08:59:28 PM »
For some reason I always feel a little guilty for not liking it, but I don't like Della Brown.  I tried to get it to grow on me and pretend I kinda sorta liked it but it never really did it for me.

Anybody Listening is far and away my favorite song from Empire.  That song just has this aura about it.

Agree with the love for Hand on Heart. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5540 on: May 20, 2022, 09:01:10 PM »
For some reason I always feel a little guilty for not liking it, but I don't like Della Brown.  I tried to get it to grow on me and pretend I kinda sorta liked it but it never really did it for me.

Anybody Listening is far and away from favorite song from Empire.  That song just has this aura about it.

You're not alone, it's fine, but I never understood the attraction of DB.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5541 on: May 20, 2022, 09:11:26 PM »

Thank you Tim. I actually think it’s kind of cool. But I guess some people of criticized it for being a bit cheesy.

Whatever. I also thought the cover artwork for Q2K was amazing… wish the album had lived up to the cover.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #5542 on: May 21, 2022, 12:23:59 AM »

Thank you Tim. I actually think it’s kind of cool. But I guess some people of criticized it for being a bit cheesy.

Whatever. I also thought the cover artwork for Q2K was amazing… wish the album had lived up to the cover.

Agree with all this mate for its time Q2K looked good and have no problems with this new art (although I would've liked see it taper off/away more at the bottom maybe but no biggie)...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5543 on: May 21, 2022, 12:43:10 AM »
If anything the name is a bit corny - but I like the art.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5544 on: May 21, 2022, 05:43:59 AM »
I think the art is fine, the name not so much.

Re Empire: Hand On Heart and Resistance are my least favorite tracks on Empire whereas One And Only is top notch. But there really is no weak track on that record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5545 on: May 23, 2022, 12:11:25 PM »

Anybody Listening is far and away from favorite song from Empire.  That song just has this aura about it.

You're not alone, it's fine, but I never understood the attraction of DB.

I didn't like Della Brown at first, but it grew on my.  I think of it kinda like the movie Blade Runner:  It's kinda slow and contemplative, rather than flashy.  And the lyrics speak to me.

Resistance, Hand on Heart, and One and Only are the only songs on Empire that never really clicked with me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5546 on: May 23, 2022, 01:25:20 PM »
Empire is the one QR album I still really dig.

Best I Can - great opener, one of those get you hyped type of songs.
The Thin Line - musically this is cool, lyrically it is quite awful. Would happily delete if we're cutting songs.
Jet City Women - one of my favorite QR songs period.
Della Brown - this is an awesome tune. Love the bass and overall atmosphere. The guitar solo is also tremendous.
Another Rainy Night - like this one a lot, but less than the other radio tracks.
Empire - this is a great song, but I too laugh at the breakdown of federal spending on "law enforcement." What is he even going on about?
Resistance - This song sounds really huge. It's never been a favorite, but it is pretty cool.
Silent Lucidity - This is among my favorite tracks by anybody, not just QR. It's a beautiful song and I've never gotten tired of it.
Hand on Heart - This one always left me a bit cold. It's fine, but also could do without it.
One and Only - I love this song. Really great vocal melody, love the underlying rhythm.
Anybody Listening? - This is a great closer, QR at their proggiest maybe.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #5547 on: May 28, 2022, 10:42:24 PM »
I saw Geoff Tate a couple nights ago in Portland, Oregon, and thought he and his band sounded terrific. They performed Rage for Order and Empire in their entirety. I was on the fence about going because I've seen Queensryche more than any other band and I've already seen a Geoff solo gig, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to hear some of my all-time favorites like "I Dream in Infrared," "London," and "Della Brown" live for the first time. I'm so glad I went!
Some notes:
-Geoff still has so much charisma and showmanship, and really seems to be enjoying his time on stage, even when he's singing songs he must be sick to death of by this point (Jet City Woman, Empire, and Silent Lucidity). He had just performed in the UK the night before and had gotten very little sleep, but showed no signs of fatigue.
-His two lead guitarists were full of youthful energy and metal cred, and they also contributed some great backing vocals just like DeGarmo and Jackson did back in the day.
-The wafts of marijuana during the opening of "Della Brown" made me smile, and those participants were greatly rewarded during the outro. It's one of my favorite parts on the album and so it was great to hear an extended version that goes all the way to 11.
-Geoff's voice was pretty strong throughout the show, and I was especially impressed during "Resistance" because I always thought that was one of the hardest ones to pull off. That's such a fun song!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5548 on: May 29, 2022, 03:33:00 AM »
I saw Geoff Tate a couple nights ago in Portland, Oregon, and thought he and his band sounded terrific. They performed Rage for Order and Empire in their entirety. I was on the fence about going because I've seen Queensryche more than any other band and I've already seen a Geoff solo gig, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to hear some of my all-time favorites like "I Dream in Infrared," "London," and "Della Brown" live for the first time. I'm so glad I went!
Some notes:
-Geoff still has so much charisma and showmanship, and really seems to be enjoying his time on stage, even when he's singing songs he must be sick to death of by this point (Jet City Woman, Empire, and Silent Lucidity). He had just performed in the UK the night before and had gotten very little sleep, but showed no signs of fatigue.
-His two lead guitarists were full of youthful energy and metal cred, and they also contributed some great backing vocals just like DeGarmo and Jackson did back in the day.
-The wafts of marijuana during the opening of "Della Brown" made me smile, and those participants were greatly rewarded during the outro. It's one of my favorite parts on the album and so it was great to hear an extended version that goes all the way to 11.
-Geoff's voice was pretty strong throughout the show, and I was especially impressed during "Resistance" because I always thought that was one of the hardest ones to pull off. That's such a fun song!

Yeah, saw him a couple of weeks ago and echo your thoughts. He wisely bottled out of a couple of the big notes but better that than trying them and failing. I messaged Geoff on Facebook afterwards and asked if he’d put some thought into playing the whole of Promised Land next time and got a noncommittal “I’d love to”.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5549 on: June 08, 2022, 03:15:16 PM »
I heard something today that made me go, “huh”…..

I’ll start by saying this has to have been known by now but I’ve never read about or heard it til just now.  I was listening to the local classic rock station on my home from work and Pinball Wizard came on. The opening guitar part played and I did a double take…….that sounds like the intro to Revolution Calling.

Now Tommy is obviously known as one of the greatest concept albums ever so I have to imagine QR may have done this intentionally. Then again, maybe it’s just a crazy coincidence.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5550 on: June 08, 2022, 03:20:32 PM »
Hah! Yeah, I can totally see that. Nice call!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5551 on: June 08, 2022, 04:56:11 PM »
I mean...to the extent that both have one guitar playing held chords over another guitar playing a rhythmic part, sure, but otherwise...not really hearing any similarity.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5552 on: June 08, 2022, 05:19:37 PM »
Last weekend I went to an aerial performance of the U.S Navy Blue Angels at Jones Beach on Long Island, NY, which attract tens of thousands of people each year of all ages and ethnicities. Anyway, before the show we were walking along the boardwalk and there were giant speakers every 200 feet or so playing music like Billy Joel. Anyway, out of nowhere comes on "Anybody Listening?" I couldn't believe it. I was one of probably a small number of people who knew that song. And I actually happened to be wearing a QR shirt.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5553 on: June 09, 2022, 08:22:14 PM »
Neue Regal is in contention for being the best Queensryche song.

Prove me wrong.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5554 on: June 09, 2022, 08:29:45 PM »

How can I when you’re absolutely correct.

Second only to SSM imho

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5555 on: June 09, 2022, 08:38:24 PM »
Yeah it just might be my favorite too.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5556 on: June 09, 2022, 09:46:30 PM »

Can't prove you wrong because it is true!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5557 on: June 09, 2022, 10:51:50 PM »
I was always drawn to things that were strange and unusual. That’s why I actually had dismissed the “new QR sound” when I first heard Walk in the Shadows. (Don’t worry…I’ve since grown to love it) But after my cousin loaned me the album and I got past the relatively simplistic track, I was immediately drawn to the strangeness of the rest of the music. By the time I got to the weird processed vocals at the beginning of NR, I was hooked

Offline The Realm

« Reply #5558 on: June 09, 2022, 11:28:34 PM »
Neue Regel is awesome. It wouldn't be my favourite Queensryche song but definitely a chance for top 10.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5559 on: June 10, 2022, 06:18:53 AM »
This is the kind of feedback I like.  :tup :tup

Second only to SSM imho

I'd definitely put Suite Sister Mary in that top tier as well.  Off the top of my head, Neue Regal, Suite Sister Mary and Promised Land would all be top tier for me (quite possibly the top 3, the order varying from day to day). 

Offline WardySI

« Reply #5560 on: June 10, 2022, 07:39:34 PM »

\m/

Probably somewhere about my Top10 QR...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5561 on: June 11, 2022, 06:40:27 AM »
In no certain order, I am pretty comfortable with the below as my 10 favorites by the band.

I Dream in Infrared
The Killing Words
Neue Regel
The Mission
Suite Sister Mary
Anybody Listening?
Damaged
Out of Mind
Promised Land
Lady Jane

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5562 on: June 11, 2022, 06:54:53 AM »
I'm happy this thread popped back up, because I've meaning to comment for weeks.

Regarding "Neue Regal": for a long time, this was not only my favorite QR song, but my favorite song ever. I would go so far as to say the second half of RFO is not only my favorite batch of QR songs, but also their most cohesive musical statement to date.

Regarding "One and Only": it's, hands down, my fav track off Empire.

As far as favorite songs, I hold the 'DeGarmo' years in such high esteem, it's difficult to separate the songs from the albums.

That said, keeping in the spriit of the thread, here are my top picks per album:

E.P. — "Nightrider," "The Lady Wore Black"

Warning — "NM 156," "Roads to Madness"

Rage for Order — "Neue Regal," "Screaming in Digital," "London" (but seriously, this is a flawless album IMO)

Operation Mindcrime — "Speak," "Suite Sister Mary," "The Mission"

Empire — "One and Only," "Anybody Listening," "Jet City Woman"

Promised Land — "Damaged," "Lady Jane," "One More Time"

Here in the Now Frontier — "Hit the Black," "Spool"

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5563 on: June 11, 2022, 07:36:15 AM »
Guys, this song is called Neue Regel not Regal.

Regel = rule

Regal = shelf

And Tate's not singing about furniture.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5564 on: June 11, 2022, 08:36:27 AM »
I could use a new shelf, though.