Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 694828 times)

Online pg1067

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5495 on: May 12, 2022, 01:22:45 PM »
I think that ending of One And Only might be my favourite proggy-time-signature-shift ever.

And Empire has aged immensely well, in both songs and sound.

The outro of One and Only is in 4/4 (it's a pretty standard 3-3-3-3-2-2 pattern).

If Empire had only the odd-numbered songs, it would probably be the best EP ever released.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5496 on: May 12, 2022, 02:23:34 PM »
Total opposite for me. That method would omit my 1-2 favorites (Empire and Della Brown) and include my 1-2 least favorite. (JCW and ARN by a wide margin)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5497 on: May 12, 2022, 02:58:55 PM »
I can do without SL from time-to-time, but honestly when I listen to Empire it's usually straight through. Great production, great songs, fantastic album.  :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5498 on: May 12, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »
I think that ending of One And Only might be my favourite proggy-time-signature-shift ever.

And Empire has aged immensely well, in both songs and sound.

The outro of One and Only is in 4/4 (it's a pretty standard 3-3-3-3-2-2 pattern).

Ok. Proggy-drum-beat-shift. ;D

I sometimes skip SL too, but that's about all. (I don't dislike it but I never saw how it's award winning material.)

The album manages to be melodic, technical, accessible, heavy, moving and varied, and progressed their overall vibe on. I think i might rate it their best now.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5499 on: May 14, 2022, 06:19:38 AM »
I went to see Geoff Tate last night, playing the whole of Rage For Order and Empire. It was a great night. Geoff’s voice was very good on the whole, and the band played pretty much note for note from the albums. Nice to get Last Time In Paris as an encore too.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5500 on: May 14, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »
I went to see Geoff Tate last night, playing the whole of Rage For Order and Empire. It was a great night. Geoff’s voice was very good on the whole, and the band played pretty much note for note from the albums. Nice to get Last Time In Paris as an encore too.

I honestly can't believe what I'm about to type, but having spent the last month deep-diving on QR, I can honestly say that I'd rather see Tate live than QR.

The Todd-Ryche albums are fine, but they have little staying power for me—and with a good-sounding Geoff constanty revisitng these classic albums (RFO is my favorite QR album), I am way more interested in his live show these days.

Kinda blows my mind, bc I am still totally disgusted by Tate's antics over the past decade, but setting all of that aside, he is 'the voice,' and always will be I suppose. Nostalgia act or not, Tate is a good show right now.

Todd is great live, but his versions of the classic QR stuff just falls flat for me. Now, if we could just DeGarmo to join Tate.....

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5501 on: May 14, 2022, 10:04:50 AM »
Now, if we could just DeGarmo to rejoin QR.....
FTFM

I think he'd help right the ship even though QR is on a far better trajectory than it's ever been since CDG left. I think that would make a difference.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5502 on: May 14, 2022, 10:07:45 AM »
You guys will have to forgive me for rolling my eyes every time DeGarmo is mentioned.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5503 on: May 14, 2022, 10:13:56 AM »
You guys will have to forgive me for rolling my eyes every time DeGarmo is mentioned.

Oh, trust me, I said it somewhat in jest ;)

That being said, on a personal level, I'd love to see him and Tate perform together again. Doesn't have to be a tour or a reunion, just a single show. I loved their voices together (Chris carried so much vocal weight live), and would love to see a one-off performance of classic-era stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5504 on: May 14, 2022, 10:20:22 AM »
But that era was so long ago. Empire is over 30 years old at this point. Tate has regained some strength in his voice over the last couple of years, but he's still a shadow of himself from that era.

And I'm not directing this at you personally WillMunn, but we should just cherish what we had. At the end of the day, it will still come back to Tate, and the fact that both Tate and QR base their shows around material recorded 35 years ago is insulting to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5505 on: May 14, 2022, 10:25:19 AM »
But that era was so long ago. Empire is over 30 years old at this point. Tate has regained some strength in his voice over the last couple of years, but he's still a shadow of himself from that era.

And I'm not directing this at you personally WillMunn, but we should just cherish what we had. At the end of the day, it will still come back to Tate, and the fact that both Tate and QR base their shows around material recorded 35 years ago is insulting to me.

I hear you, I do, but as a fan, I can both cherish what 'was,' while still wishing for what isn't.

I used to play this game when I was younger—"make the ultimate band"

I'm sure we've all been there with friends, where we start 'drafting' our ultimate band: Geddy on bass, Eddie on guitar, etc. It's never a matter of disrespect, but rather, a measure of the fandom. In this case, pining for a one-off show (or any other 'reunion') isn't an insult to the current line-up or the recent albums...an appreciation for both can exist at the same time.

And I would argue the current setlists ultimately cater to the fans and their will.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5506 on: May 14, 2022, 10:29:36 AM »
And I would argue the current setlists ultimately cater to the fans and their will.

Sad, isn't it.

I'm just grumpy. :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5507 on: May 14, 2022, 10:47:09 AM »

Sad, isn't it.

I'm just grumpy. :lol

At least with playing the whole 'play the whole record' format, you get a diverse set full of rarities. Hell, even if it was a local bar band down the street, if someone wants to launch into Neue Regal or Chemical Youth, I'm going to give it a listen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5508 on: May 14, 2022, 11:04:38 AM »
That's a fair point.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #5509 on: May 14, 2022, 02:23:12 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5510 on: May 14, 2022, 02:50:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN_PuYp--Eg

great interview with Geoff

That was tremendous. Thank you for the link.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5511 on: May 14, 2022, 03:52:01 PM »
And kudos the Geoff, the Waterloo in Blackpool is a tiny (but awesome) venue, with as Geoff said when I saw him there a few years ago, the smallest stage he’d ever played on, probably a couple of hundred people there, but he gave it his all, seemed to enjoy the show.

A few years ago with the antics, his poor vocals I’d given up on him, but he’s won me over the last three times I’ve seen him. I wasn’t going to go to that first show despite it being very near where I live, but I did, and I’m glad I did.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5512 on: May 14, 2022, 04:21:43 PM »

That was tremendous. Thank you for the link.

Very interesting interview. Kind of funny how Geoff can portray the "ass" (mostly by his word choices) and then speak so well and polite, like in this interview. Seems like he is very happy with what he is doing and kudos for him.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5513 on: May 14, 2022, 04:26:40 PM »
Wow. He seems like a different person. Humble, greatful, endearing. For years I thought he was such an ass. Just goes to show people can change. I mean, he even praised Scott. I really enjoyed the interview and if he releases new music, I will likely buy it.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #5514 on: May 14, 2022, 07:31:04 PM »

Geoff mentions the Seattle band Rail. I saw them in a club on my birthday in 1987 and they were great. I was never able to track down any of their albums back then though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5515 on: May 14, 2022, 07:33:37 PM »
I remember that Rail won the very first MTV Basement Tapes competition.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5516 on: May 14, 2022, 07:44:02 PM »

Rail were HUGE on the club scene here for years! They played everywhere and with everyone. They played proms at several Seattle high schools. I remember that the local roller rink chain “Skate King” would put on small club like shows and Rail played there all the time.

On the whole, their albums are just OK. But “Hello” was a fantastic song that I still love to this day. Just wish it wasn’t so short. For awhile, the EMP music museum had a “Northwest Trail” section where local memorabilia was on display. Right next to the dresses Ann and Nancy wore on the cover of Little Queen…were the notorious “fuzzy boots” that Kelly always wore at every show.

https://youtu.be/G1wEAAlWRpQ

I think that was one of those situations where winning that contest was the death of them. Because the record company just gave them a contractually obligated 4-song EP and then ignored them and promptly dumped them. I hate the record business sometimes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5517 on: May 14, 2022, 08:32:37 PM »
I remember that the local roller rink chain “Skate King”

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5518 on: May 14, 2022, 09:24:06 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5519 on: May 14, 2022, 09:26:58 PM »
Seriously, that was THE place to have your birthday party when I was in elementary school.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5520 on: May 15, 2022, 12:10:11 PM »
Wow. He seems like a different person. Humble, greatful, endearing. For years I thought he was such an ass. Just goes to show people can change. I mean, he even praised Scott. I really enjoyed the interview and if he releases new music, I will likely buy it.

Has he actually changed though, or is he just realizing that it's to his benefit if he doesn't act like an ass all the time?  I do think it's possible for people to change, but I don't think we'll ever really know from those kind of public interactions. 

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5521 on: May 16, 2022, 02:26:06 PM »

Has he actually changed though, or is he just realizing that it's to his benefit if he doesn't act like an ass all the time?  I do think it's possible for people to change, but I don't think we'll ever really know from those kind of public interactions.

It's hard to say without knowing the guy, but based on a number of interviews over the years and all the docs that came out during the lawsuit, I doubt he's changed much. I do think from a fan perspective that it's great that GT has addressed (some?) of his vocal issues and that he's putting on a decent performance. Even with a limited range hearing him sing is a treat, he's one of the best power metal/progressive metal vocalists of all-time for a reason and has helped create some incredible songs.

Online pg1067

« Reply #5522 on: May 16, 2022, 05:20:48 PM »
Total opposite for me. That method would omit my 1-2 favorites (Empire and Della Brown) and include my 1-2 least favorite. (JCW and ARN by a wide margin)

I know I'm probably in the minority with that take, but it just plays out that way.

Best I Can - Awesome track with a cool middle section.

The Thin Line - Meh.

Jet City Woman - Love it; excellent chorus.

Della Brown - Bleh.

Another Rainy Night - Aside from the phone operator sound effects, I love it; another great chorus.

Empire - The song is not all that bad, but the McNeil Lehrer report breakdown just kills it for me.

Resistance - LOVE the main riff and the chugging verses.

Silent Lucidity - Never thought it was great; now it's overplayed tripe.

Hand on Heart - Another one in the vein of JCW and ARN.

One and Only - Just kinda meh.

Anybody Listening? - THIS should have been the hit over SL.  An absolute crime that this barely got played back in the glory days (although I'm thankful that I got to see one of those performances).

Talk about a name I've not heard in a long time!  I recall that you would call a number and your vote would be registered.  I called over and over and over....  I assume it was an 800 number or I'd have gotten my ass handed to me.  I just listened to "Hello" for what has to be the first time in forever, and I have to wonder what I thought was so great.  Probably just a "better than the alternative" thing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #5523 on: May 16, 2022, 06:07:49 PM »
Mindcrime is a top 5 album all time for me and a huge part of my musical journey in the 80s/90s. As for Empire, well I was stunned a bit when this was released. I just didn't like it at all but it grew on me over time and I actually still put it on a every now and then today, however it is still a very inconsistent album.

Best I Can - never been a big fan, regularly skip this when listening to the album.
The Thin Line - love it.
Jet City Women - love it.
Della Brown - this is ok, but not great.
Another Rainy Night - love it
Empire - love it.
Resistance - cannot stand this song, total Bleh.
Silent Lucidity - was never a big fan and stunned at the popularity at the time but these days I enjoy it.
Hand on Heart - ok
One and Only - Meh
Anybody Listening? - this could be my number 1 QR song. Just a magical, awesome track.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5524 on: May 16, 2022, 06:15:51 PM »

Agreed.  Tate did come off better than normal in that clip, but keep in mind that it was pieces of an interview cobbled together, almost like Tate's PR team put together the best parts of it together to make him look nice and diplomatic.  Not saying that it what did happen, but that is how it came off. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #5525 on: May 17, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »
Mindcrime is a top 5 album all time for me and a huge part of my musical journey in the 80s/90s. As for Empire, well I was stunned a bit when this was released. I just didn't like it at all but it grew on me over time and I actually still put it on a every now and then today, however it is still a very inconsistent album.

Empire came out while my band was very active.  We played music that was stylistically similar to O:M, but it was hard to gain a foothold in southern California because of the prominence of glam.  We tried very hard to latch onto Queensryche since it was the only similar band that was having real success.  When Empire came out, I was predisposed to like it.  I never thought it was as strong as O:M, but I always thought it was very good.  My biggest complaint was that it seemed too slick...too...I'm not sure how best to describe it.  It was the same sort of issue as with Metallica's "black album" (but it was much worse on that album).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5526 on: May 20, 2022, 10:01:24 AM »
Digital Noise Alliance due out October 7th…

https://fb.watch/d7tbo35LHp/
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5527 on: May 20, 2022, 10:20:29 AM »
Digital Noise Alliance due out October 7th…

https://fb.watch/d7tbo35LHp/

Feel like that's a long ways away considering the album has already been recorded for a while, right? Oh well. I really enjoyed the Verdict and am looking forward to this one!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5528 on: May 20, 2022, 11:41:58 AM »
Been busy and missed all the Empire discussion earlier this month. Funny enough, I listened to the DVD-A of it yesterday and watched the interview with Chris and Geoff. Hard to believe that was done 20 years ago.

Every time I go back to it, I am reminded of why it was just so damn good then, and still is today. Taking the complexity and lessons learned from all the records prior and delivering a masterful listening experience that really crossed over with the mainstream, without losing integrity. Very few bands considered "metal" pulled that off like Queensryche did with Empire.

My top-3 from that record have stayed constant - Anybody Listening?, Empire, Della Brown. I really enjoy the whole thing. Silent Lucidity is very overplayed, as is Jet City Woman, but both were iconic songs in the early 1990s, so I get it. Even some of the deeper cuts like Hand on Heart, One and Only, Resistance - all great tracks. And the production...I mean, there's a reason studios used that record to test sound. Just a wonderful sounding record.

The other thing I like about Empire - it SOUNDS like Seattle to me. I'm not a native, but it is my favorite region in the country and I've spent tons of time there. I consider the PNW to be my home away from home. You can hear the region's vibe in that record. Once I experienced the area a bunch, I thought I was crazy to think that after listening to Empire, but I did. And then a few other people, totally oblivious to what I was thinking, said that in the course of discussing the record (they were Seattle natives) and it really hit home. That record has Seattle and the PNW all over it. Incredibly special. A lot of bands have that kind of vibe and if they stay together, it ends up coming through on their records.

Regarding DeGarmo-Tate, never say never, but I wouldn't put any money on it. All this time, and Chris has never appeared with Tate or QR. That speaks volumes. I think (and this is just my opinion) Chris realizes that any public time spent with one faction would create issues. And he obviously doesn't want that. I have a lot of respect for him for staying out of all that.

The fan in me wants Tate/DeGarmo to be together. Hell, I want the original band to just get back together, make a killer record and do one last tour. But it's unlikely to ever happen. I feel fortunate I got to see that original band three times. Still my favorite musical act of all time.

About the new QR record, I wish them the best. The Verdict was a good album. Had some whiffs of classic Ryche, but it's a totally different band without Tate, DeGarmo and Rockenfield. You hear the echo of classic QR when Wilton plays and some of the pieces he writes. But they've carved out a niche for themselves with The Verdict, and most people dig it. Hopefully they'll have some good success with DNA.

One last thing - about Tate and that interview. I am sure things were edited, that stuff always is. But it was really nice to hear him compliment his former bandmates and think fondly of everything they did together. People can be skeptical, and that's fine. But for me, personally, at this point in my life, I'm just taking the nice things I heard, smiling, and wishing them all the best. That original band and its music meant and still means, an awful lot to me personally and it felt good to hear Geoff in a place where he feels good about all of it and credits everyone for being essential parts of what made Queensryche what it once was.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5529 on: May 20, 2022, 03:40:40 PM »

Maybe playing the tiny venues he has been has reduced the ego somewhat. He came across well each time I’ve seen him at what he described as “the smallest stage I ever played on”.