Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695780 times)

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5390 on: December 02, 2021, 09:33:36 PM »

Vocal chords don't exist.  It is only possible to sing one note at a time.

Actual words aren't possible (as far as I know (yet??)) But have you seen/heard polyphonic overtone singing?

https://youtu.be/vC9Qh709gas

Some pretty darn impressive moments in this video. Worth the 4-5 minutes.
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5391 on: December 03, 2021, 06:57:27 AM »
Actually it'd be more like asking Jeff Scott Soto to stop sucking.

:lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5392 on: December 23, 2021, 05:03:06 PM »
One last book post from me.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who checked out Building An Empire: The Story of Queensryche and supported the biography. It was a lot of fun to write and be a part of and I'm glad I did it. For an independent release, we were able to not only do a paperback version, but also two different digital versions and a limited hardcover edition. And as of this writing, the book is fully paid for and is turning a small profit (there's not much money in doing independent releases these days). That's all thanks to those of you who bought it. Speaking for myself, I didn't really care about the money. As a historian of the band, it was something that needed to be done and I'm so grateful to have been part of the team that wrote it.

Books were hand-delivered to the current band and copies were sent to all past members of Queensryche as well. It was really nice to get them all a book that celebrates their band's history. With so much negativity out there, we wanted to make sure our book acknowledged just what a success "Queensryche" has been over 40 years and I think we did that.

In retrospect, there are a couple of mistakes in there - it happens. If we get a chance to do a second printing, I'll make sure those errors are corrected. But all in all, the feedback we received has been positive and thankful. And I'm really proud of the work James, Brian N., and myself did on it.

Thanks again to those of you who picked up copies of it. Happy Holidays and here's to a great 2022.

BH

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5393 on: December 23, 2021, 09:09:18 PM »
That's great to hear! Since giving each of the guys a copy of the book, what kind of feedback have you gotten from them?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5394 on: December 23, 2021, 10:06:23 PM »
That's great to hear! Since giving each of the guys a copy of the book, what kind of feedback have you gotten from them?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #5395 on: December 29, 2021, 03:24:51 PM »

Vocal chords don't exist.  It is only possible to sing one note at a time.

Actual words aren't possible (as far as I know (yet??)) But have you seen/heard polyphonic overtone singing?

https://youtu.be/vC9Qh709gas

Some pretty darn impressive moments in this video. Worth the 4-5 minutes.

I'm speechless. That is as impressive as terrifying
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5396 on: January 12, 2022, 08:47:47 AM »
Apparently, Metal Sludge had an article a few months ago in which a source told them a QR reunion with DeGarmo and Tate had been in the works, but it was scrapped as a result of the Scott Rockenfield lawsuit: http://metalsludge.tv/operation-lawsuit-rumors-scott-rockenfield-ex-queensryche-drummer-sues-eddie-jackson-and-michael-wilton-reunion-with-tate-considered-la-torre-on-thin-ice/

My apologies is this was posted earlier in the thread.  I might've missed it.  It's hard to believe the reunion claim is legit though.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5397 on: January 12, 2022, 08:54:55 AM »
Man it seems like every time QR is on the cusp of doing something awesome someone in the band fucks it up

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5398 on: January 12, 2022, 09:35:53 AM »
I'm probably the only one, but I don't want a reunion with Tate and DeGarmo. I don't see them recording new (and good) music, instead they would tour Mindcrime for the umpteenth time, or maybe Promised Land and would finally become nothing more than a nostalgia act.

I would like for them to release one or two more records with LaTorre, hopefully in the same quality as the last three and then call it quits. Todd could start a solo career and the rest goes into their deserved retirement.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5399 on: January 12, 2022, 09:50:33 AM »
Guess it hasn't been posted here yet, but Casey is playing drums on the new album that they start recording this month.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5400 on: January 12, 2022, 10:05:46 AM »
I'm probably the only one, but I don't want a reunion with Tate and DeGarmo. I don't see them recording new (and good) music, instead they would tour Mindcrime for the umpteenth time, or maybe Promised Land and would finally become nothing more than a nostalgia act.

I would like for them to release one or two more records with LaTorre, hopefully in the same quality as the last three and then call it quits. Todd could start a solo career and the rest goes into their deserved retirement.

I'm torn - I like the direction they've taken with Todd, but the live shows have generally suffered from a lack of diversity and too short of a set.  I saw them 9 times with Tate and each tour was different than the others.  Sure, they didn't play older songs like Queen of the Reich, very often, but we got a good dose of a new album, and a varied setlist.  With Todd, the new albums are pushed aside when they play live because they are limited to no more than 90 minutes, and they book shows at venues where the crowd is more receptive to older classics and has less appreciation for new material.

So a reunion with Tate and DeGarmo would probably bring a new, less metal album.  But the live shows would probably go back to two hours and we'd see some different setlists again, rather than the same stuff they've been playing since 2012.  I have no desire to see Queensryche ever play live again - unless it is the original lineup with DeGarmo.  I never saw that lineup live and would love a chance to see that show.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #5401 on: January 12, 2022, 10:59:32 AM »
As I said, I don't believe that a Tate/DeGarmo reunion would result in new music, they would do it for the money and the money lies in touring Mindcrime/Empire/Promised Land.

If Tate were in his prime I would go instantly, but although his singing has improved a bit recently, he's so far from what he used to be, I have zero interest in hearing him sing live. I've seen them twice with Tate, when he was still good, I don't want that memory to be tainted by a subpar performance.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5402 on: January 12, 2022, 12:03:39 PM »
It's hard to believe the reunion claim is legit though.
I highly doubt there's any legitimacy to that at all. First off, if the source is that "Dude Random" guy on YouTube, you'd be a fool to believe anything that guy says. Just watch a couple of his video clips about having supposed "insider" information on Steel Panther, his favorite band.   :loser:

Second, if there was any real genuine talk about a reunion, I can't imagine that Scott would be so stupid so as to start up a lawsuit and put in jeopardy a situation where he could get a big payout (and return to the band) unless he was not part of the reunion, and I can't believe that CDG would be agreeable to that.

Finally, you can be sure TLT would have his panties in a bunch over that and do whatever he could to put a stop to that, since it seems he's taken control of the band, if what Scott is saying is true (getting his buddy Casey in there, and Scott not being allowed to return).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5403 on: January 12, 2022, 12:44:31 PM »
I highly doubt there's any legitimacy to that at all. First off, if the source is that "Dude Random" guy on YouTube, you'd be a fool to believe anything that guy says. Just watch a couple of his video clips about having supposed "insider" information on Steel Panther, his favorite band.   :loser:

Second, if there was any real genuine talk about a reunion, I can't imagine that Scott would be so stupid so as to start up a lawsuit and put in jeopardy a situation where he could get a big payout (and return to the band) unless he was not part of the reunion, and I can't believe that CDG would be agreeable to that.

Finally, you can be sure TLT would have his panties in a bunch over that and do whatever he could to put a stop to that, since it seems he's taken control of the band, if what Scott is saying is true (getting his buddy Casey in there, and Scott not being allowed to return).

According to Todd, Scott had been radio silent since his paternity leave, in which case it wasn't a case of "being allowed" to come back.  So, someone is being less than truthful.  Right now, Scott's wackiness leaves me inclined to give Todd the benefit of the doubt.   

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5404 on: January 12, 2022, 01:33:38 PM »

Right now, I’m of the opinion that QR should probably hang it up and TLT should seriously think about hooking up with Kurt Vanderhoof from Metal Church.

Since Mike Howe died, Metal Church is done. They couldn’t come back with an unknown, but TLT recently did a duet with Mike Howe on a Metal Church song, so he does know the guys. Bringing TLT into the fold and revitalizing Metal Church would be incredible.

And honestly, maybe even a better fit for TLT‘s tastes and vocal skills.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5405 on: January 12, 2022, 01:34:52 PM »
I like that idea J-Dude.

But I ain't gonna lie. The Toddryche albums are better than the last Metal Church albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5406 on: January 12, 2022, 01:56:13 PM »
I like that idea J-Dude.

But I ain't gonna lie. The Toddryche albums are better than the last Metal Church albums.

Damned if You Do was ok…but XI was incredible! And I don’t think there can be any doubt that Vanderhoof is a fantastic riff artist. Hooking up with TLT would be nothing but win/win for both parties IMHO.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5407 on: January 12, 2022, 03:19:25 PM »
Guess it hasn't been posted here yet, but Casey is playing drums on the new album that they start recording this month.
Yes and I asked Queensryche in the Facebook page if Mike Stone will be involved and they said that he will record some songs.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #5408 on: January 13, 2022, 12:32:50 AM »

According to Todd, Scott had been radio silent since his paternity leave, in which case it wasn't a case of "being allowed" to come back.  So, someone is being less than truthful.  Right now, Scott's wackiness leaves me inclined to give Todd the benefit of the doubt.

I think that Scott more or less kicked himself out with his behaviour, but what do I know?

But it seems like TLT has taken control of QR, or to say it with other words, he's the driving force and I think that's a good thing. Whip and Eddie seem to lack the motivation or initiative to get something done on their own, as witnessed by the Tateryche years. They need someone to tell them what to do and when to do it.

And if QR calls it quit in the next couple of years for whatever reasons, I think Todd is the one who has the biggest chance of landing another gig.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5409 on: January 13, 2022, 07:35:17 AM »
But it seems like TLT has taken control of QR, or to say it with other words, he's the driving force and I think that's a good thing. Whip and Eddie seem to lack the motivation or initiative to get something done on their own, as witnessed by the Tateryche years. They need someone to tell them what to do and when to do it.
And that right there is a big part of the problem. If they've allowed TLT to wield too much power within the band, they end up falling right back into a similar situation like they had with Tater, except the music is not as bizarrely eclectic as it was with Tater. With Todd taking the reins and arranging for his buddy to play drums (who, let's not forget, ended up quitting his gig with Kamelot), I doubt he's going to want to leave Casey by side and let Scott resume his role.

Not that I'm saying that TLT is completely like Tater and this is all on him. Scott began this whole mess by putting his manhood in a place he shouldn't have and then took a leave of absence which he extended who knows how many times. And yeah, it seems Scott's not 100% with it mentally - the little that he's said publicly seems to indicate this. That said, I'd be willing to bet the band knows way more than they've ever let on. So I think there's blame on both sides, especially with regards to a lack of transparency of what's really been happening behind the scenes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5410 on: January 13, 2022, 09:09:54 PM »
Quick! Someone tell tell Samsara to have them stop printing his book! There is more drama to write about!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5411 on: January 18, 2022, 02:18:02 PM »
Quick! Someone tell tell Samsara to have them stop printing his book! There is more drama to write about!

:rollin

No thanks. After this book was done, I was pretty much done with everything Queensryche...except the original lineup's history. I plan to do more with that.

As for the current band, etc., I wish them absolutely all the best.

Regarding the alleged Metal Sludge rumor about the original band reuniting...I have no idea, honestly. I will say though that the original band has tried multiple times to get together...2002/2003, 2007, etc., so its not like there isnt history of this happening. But who knows. Call me when it happens.

Honestly, while I love my metal, QR was always more than metal, and DeGarmo/Tate always found a way to steer the QR ship in such a way to appeal broadly. I miss that. If it ever happened again, it'd be cool. But I'm not holding my breath. Ill just document the original band's history and enjoy its past catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5414 on: January 25, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »
Won't happen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5415 on: January 25, 2022, 06:06:22 PM »
Money is not the motivator, and getting together for an artistic dream isn't a motivator either, so what do you have? You have nothing.

So let's stop talking about it. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #5416 on: January 25, 2022, 06:25:18 PM »
Chris DeGarmo and who else said no?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5417 on: January 25, 2022, 08:11:26 PM »
Chris DeGarmo and who else said no?
Hard to say, since the other 4 guys I'm sure would all love a big payout. CDG strikes me as being the only principled member of the band that would say no. But as for it be an "obscene" amount of money - they ain't Genesis or Led Zeppelin, so I'd question how much that truly is. Plus he says
one tour and we'd never have to tour again
which implies they could retire after said tour, but it can easily also mean that they only have to commit to doing one tour together to get that "obscene" amount of money, and then they go back to what they were doing before. While I don't doubt there's been offers, even as Samsara has confirmed, Tater's been known to exaggerate the truth, so I'd take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #5418 on: January 26, 2022, 08:11:48 AM »
I'd be up for a Pumpkins United-type tour with both TLT and Tate...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5419 on: January 26, 2022, 10:32:41 AM »
The only way I care about any type of reunion is if DeGarmo comes back.

Zero chance that is happening.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5420 on: January 26, 2022, 06:36:14 PM »
I'd be up for a Pumpkins United-type tour with both TLT and Tate...

If you're saying that you'd be up for a tour with both Geoff and Todd, with Chris returning, then sure go for it. But it would be anything but united. It would lack the dignity, respect, and comradery of the Helloween tour.

As a fan of Queensryche, I'd be offended that all they'd want is my money. They certainly wouldn't be out there for each other, or with the fans in mind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5421 on: January 27, 2022, 05:26:01 PM »
Outside of those who do not do their homework, I cannot imagine any promoter worth a damn offering Queensryche "obscene" amounts of money at this juncture.  Probably another case of Tate talking out of his rectum.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5422 on: January 28, 2022, 06:30:34 AM »
I'm curious what constitutes "obscene"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5423 on: January 28, 2022, 08:54:28 AM »
I'm curious what constitutes "obscene"

$69