Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695758 times)

Offline ozzy554

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5215 on: July 02, 2021, 04:59:13 PM »
Parker has left the band. Which is a shame because I liked his writing contributions to the band especially where dreams go to die. Best of luck to him for whatever he does next.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5216 on: July 02, 2021, 05:02:53 PM »
Huh…didn’t see that coming.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5217 on: July 02, 2021, 06:08:25 PM »
Parker has left the band. Which is a shame because I liked his writing contributions to the band especially where dreams go to die. Best of luck to him for whatever he does next.

Interesting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5218 on: July 02, 2021, 06:38:03 PM »
Best of luck to him for whatever he does next.
Sounds like what he does next is the reason why he left QR. From QR's Facebook:
Hello Queensryche Fans, 
Parker Lundgren, guitarist for Queensryche, has recently decided to step down to pursue other business ventures, which he has become very invested in over the past couple of years. For over a decade it has been a great pleasure watching him evolve and flourish as a guitarist, song writer, and most importantly, a wonderful human being.   
Parker will always be family to us and we wish him all the success in the world with his new endeavors. 
Take hold, Brother!
For several years I have been deeply immersed in collecting and selling guitars, as well as rare and fascinating musical instruments. This passion led to the opening of my guitar store “Diablo Guitars” in 2019. Since then my business has grown and I recently acquired a storefront with a full service repair shop. In 2020 my wife and I opened “Lucky Devil Latte”, which has quickly expanded to multiple locations. With these new endeavors and ensuing responsibilities, my time to devote to Queensryche has become increasingly strained and I no longer am able to commit the time and focus it deserves.
For these reasons I have made the difficult decision to step down from my role as guitarist in Queensryche. I want to thank my friends, family, and fans for making the past 13 years an amazing journey. I wish nothing but the best for my fellow band members, crew and everyone who has supported us. I hope to have your continued support as I pursue new ventures.

Given that he's already filled in for Parker a few times, it's likely Mike Stone will get the gig again, I can understand why (they know him as a bandmate, he knows most of their material already, etc.). Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see if they could bring a bigger name guitarist into the fold instead which could have the benefit of giving them more visibility besides musical contributions. Obviously it would be great to see CDG finally return, but that's a pipe dream. Can't think of anybody off the top of my head that would be a good fit - can any of you?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5219 on: July 02, 2021, 07:56:17 PM »
Simone Mularoni maybe? I don't know if he lives in the United States or not or if this could be interesting financially for him, but I think he could do a great job playing and also composing for Queensryche.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5220 on: July 02, 2021, 08:01:59 PM »
Chris Degarmo? :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #5221 on: July 02, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »
How about a noname guitarist who would come cheap...like me? 😁😆
...sorry
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 10:03:41 PM by sfam2112 »
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5222 on: July 03, 2021, 05:44:59 AM »
Yeah, fuck, I'll do it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5223 on: July 04, 2021, 02:59:05 PM »
Yeah, fuck, I'll do it.

That would be cool. Do it!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5224 on: July 04, 2021, 03:56:10 PM »
Yeah, fuck, I'll do it.

I need a career change.  Now how do I go about this?  :justjen

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5225 on: July 04, 2021, 04:06:27 PM »
But my guess for the next album is Wilton doing all guitars, a lot of compositions by La Torre/ Wilton and Stone as the second guitar player for the tour. I’m not expecting big surprises from them at this point.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5226 on: July 04, 2021, 04:14:36 PM »
Can’t say I’m devastated by Parker leaving as, although he wasn’t terrible or anything, I wasn’t a huge fan of his but please not Mike Stone.  I saw a show with him on guitar and he added nothing to the band, wasn’t a good fit at all imo. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5227 on: July 04, 2021, 04:38:34 PM »
Can’t say I’m devastated by Parker leaving

:lol

Who on earth would be devastated?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5228 on: July 05, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »
Yeah, fuck, I'll do it.

The commute might be  an issue :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5229 on: July 05, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
Yeah, fuck, I'll do it.

The commute might be  an issue :lol

There is indeed a few variables against me.   :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5230 on: July 05, 2021, 09:28:18 PM »
The drama is better than the music.... love the spin on this one by the "band"  ,Id be shocked if Stone isnt the touring guitarist..   
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online the_silent_man

« Reply #5231 on: July 06, 2021, 05:12:33 AM »
As much as a love classic QR, man these guys are a bit of a clusterfuck at the moment.
Last 3 albums were good but not great to me. Certainly better than what came before for many years, but still nothing special.
Maybe it's time to consider retiring?

Offline Ruba

« Reply #5232 on: July 06, 2021, 05:15:25 AM »
I remember reading, probably from this thread that Parker owns a music store and if the business is good I understand. I wish him the best for future endeavours.

They're playing in three days in Oregon, I guess they'll be bringing in Mike Stone for now.

Huh, their website has no notice of Parker's departure, in fact the latest news article is from February 2020.  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5233 on: July 06, 2021, 05:59:55 AM »
As much as a love classic QR, man these guys are a bit of a clusterfuck at the moment.
Last 3 albums were good but not great to me. Certainly better than what came before for many years, but still nothing special.
Maybe it's time to consider retiring?

There's still money to be made, I guess. And I think it won't be long until Todd becomes an established solo artist OR joins a supergroup which will become his main occupation.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5234 on: July 06, 2021, 07:00:06 AM »
I don't really consider this to be an issue.  The stuff with Scott is different.  But with this, it's just a guy leaving the band and both sides are respectful to each other about it.  Maybe there's drama behind the scenes - wouldn't surprise me either way - but for now anyway, it's being handled well.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5235 on: July 06, 2021, 07:19:35 AM »
I remember reading, probably from this thread that Parker owns a music store and if the business is good I understand. I wish him the best for future endeavours.

They're playing in three days in Oregon, I guess they'll be bringing in Mike Stone for now.

Huh, their website has no notice of Parker's departure, in fact the latest news article is from February 2020.  :lol

The other business was a coffee shop and it's grown to three locations. Good for him. On another note, let's see how the new QR album pans out. I can't deny I'm intrigued. I've quite enjoyed their last 3 albums and TLT solo album. Could this be their "live or die" album as QR?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5236 on: July 06, 2021, 07:28:44 AM »

The other business was a coffee shop and it's grown to three locations. Good for him. On another note, let's see how the new QR album pans out. I can't deny I'm intrigued. I've quite enjoyed their last 3 albums and TLT solo album. Could this be their "live or die" album as QR?

Other bands have carried on with less original members than QR, so I believe we will still see many releases from them.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5237 on: July 06, 2021, 08:10:55 AM »

Other bands have carried on with less original members than QR, so I believe we will still see many releases from them.

Heck, I recently saw a story about Quiet Riot touring. Zero original members. Zero members I could even name. Frankie would have been the only one and he is gone.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5238 on: July 06, 2021, 08:48:55 AM »

Heck, I recently saw a story about Quiet Riot touring. Zero original members. Zero members I could even name. Frankie would have been the only one and he is gone.

Now that shows exactly who owns the band. And it wasn't the band members.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5239 on: July 06, 2021, 08:55:41 AM »
I don't really consider this to be an issue.  The stuff with Scott is different.  But with this, it's just a guy leaving the band and both sides are respectful to each other about it.  Maybe there's drama behind the scenes - wouldn't surprise me either way - but for now anyway, it's being handled well.

Me either. From what we know, Parker had started a business on his off time from Queensryche, it got huge and expanded and needs more of Parker's attention and focus.

So, being wise, he chose to give his full priority to the business rather than the band. Which isn't bad at all, it's just h
The direction that Parker's life ended up routing to.

Now, the band Queensryche is in shambles, and I feel it's slowly falling apart while they're desperately clutching the cornerstone.

I don't enjoy their newer albums, as I feel they're too short and  don't really breathe much in terms of songwriting, they have quick and over with short songs.

The Verdict is the closest to that classic Queensryche sound but not quite there either. If they do a new album, it's going to be the deal breaker for a lot of people, I feel.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5240 on: July 06, 2021, 09:01:55 AM »

Its about how they have no money,  its about signing stone to a contract for less money. It could be that Todd demanded more money and it squeezed Parker out and its also about signing Casey before coming to a touring agreement  with the now active Scott,,,I dont see any of this ending well
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5241 on: July 06, 2021, 09:12:26 AM »

Its about how they have no money,  its about signing stone to a contract for less money. It could be that Todd demanded more money and it squeezed Parker out and its also about signing Casey before coming to a touring agreement  with the now active Scott,,,I dont see any of this ending well

That is I think the biggest pickle the band is dealing with. And I feel that decision to tour and continue making music without Scott is a big business blunder. And it made Scott more upset.

:corn :corn

Who knew Quessnryche, the thinking man's band, would be involved in the best soap opera better than Days of Our Lives. :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5242 on: July 06, 2021, 09:32:27 AM »
If they do a new album, it's going to be the deal breaker for a lot of people, I feel.

Eh, I don't think so.  People have been saying "the next album is going to be a deal breaker" forever.  I think most fans likely fall into something similar to these two categories:  (1) those who will buy anything that has the Queensryche name on it no matter what; and (2) those who have liked the band's output enough that they will keep listening to whatever comes out, and if they like it enough, will add it to the collection and keep plugging along as fans for as long as the band keeps plugging along as a band. 

For me, unless something drastic happened, I was done with this band as of D2C.  The music had become so bad, and the Tates' control and resulting destruction of what the band was, had reached a point where I wasn't planning on buying anything else from them barring something huge happening.  I wasn't expecting them to oust Tate, but it was going to take a MAJOR change in direction from where they had been headed.  Shockingly, they did just that by firing Tate and getting back to their sonic roots, with a modern edge.  The first two Todd albums legitimately wowed me, even if they were less than perfect.  I liked The Verdict a lot less than those two, but it was still a good album.  That's my long-winded explanation for why I am in the latter category.  They fell from my "favorite" band a long time ago, and I don't see them ever even getting back near the top 5.  But I have generally liked what they have been doing, from a musical perspective.  I'm really disappointed that they haven't come close to what I would consider the bare minimum of reaching their potential.  They have squandered a ton of good will and a ton of opportunities due to, what appears to be nothing more than laziness and lack of drive.  But yet, they continue plugging along putting out decent music.  I get enjoyment from that music, even if I simultaneously find it disappointing.  So I will keep plugging along and listening, and will likely enjoy what they put out enough to buy it.

I'm bummed to see Parker gone, but I get why he is doing what he is doing.  It's hard enough to make a living in the music business.  And he's not a young guy anymore.  But he is younger and has a longer work life ahead of him than Michael and Ed.  I doubt he sees QR as a long-term career, and he would be right.  On one hand, you have the above-mentioned lack of motivation to rise above their current B-level nostalgia act status.  And on the other hand, you have the fact that they simply will not likely continue as an entity for the length of time that would make it worthwhile for a younger guy like Parker to be able to sustain himself to retirement.  I totally get why he would want to devote his time and efforts to something that would support him long-term.  I'm just sad to see him gone and will likely miss his contributions.  It will be interesting to see who steps in.  If it ends up being stone, I think that will simultaneously be (1) a completely logical move, and one that is "easy"; and (2) ruinous to the quality of their sound and songwriting.  But I will reserve judgment and wait and see. 

But I also don't see any "drama" or "soap opera" in any of this either.  Unless there is something going on that hasn't been disclosed, there doesn't appear to be any drama.  Just more rumors and stirring the pot by Epicview when there is nothing to stir.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5243 on: July 06, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
Its a big mess for this band , this again shows how over it really is  and Todd does all the writing and calls all the shots and if they dont appease Todd he will walk .   like I said they all did much better financially before the split,

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:40:01 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5244 on: July 06, 2021, 10:00:45 AM »
this again shows how over it really is  and Todd does all the writing and calls all the shots and if they dont appease Todd he will walk .   like I said they all did much better financially before the split,

It doesn't show anything of the sort.  Quit trolling and stick to facts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5245 on: July 06, 2021, 10:06:07 AM »
One fact I know (see, bosk, facts there) is that both OM1 and Empire have recently been released in deluxe box set form. Last week actually.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5246 on: July 06, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »
this again shows how over it really is  and Todd does all the writing and calls all the shots and if they dont appease Todd he will walk .   like I said they all did much better financially before the split,

It doesn't show anything of the sort.  Quit trolling and stick to facts.

Boss it does... Parker is gone because they could get Stone to tour for less..this is on the heals off the Scott R tiff. This isnt good, . The facts are the bands a total hot mess, not sure what else they are other than drama and a mess, the music is a subjective call, but any band Id call a hot mess that has this much going on negative and what i saw of the current lineup didnt sound good to me ( IMO  my subjective ears, )

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5247 on: July 06, 2021, 10:13:00 AM »
its funny   I was discussing this sort of issue with friends and older bands that are at the end,  The old popular bands should have a "CERTIFIED COVER BAND" made by the band and hand crafter to be them take over and tour as the bands experience  and tour for that band

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5248 on: July 06, 2021, 10:21:28 AM »

Boss it does... Parker is gone because they could get Stone to tour for less..

Do you have any evidence for this claim?  It contradicts the statements given by both Parker and the band.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5249 on: July 06, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »

That is I think the biggest pickle the band is dealing with. And I feel that decision to tour and continue making music without Scott is a big business blunder. And it made Scott more upset.

:corn :corn

Who knew Quessnryche, the thinking man's band, would be involved in the best soap opera better than Days of Our Lives. :biggrin:

I agree   this is to my point   its a hot mess.. Im sure they signed Casey to tour then Scott popped up and said "Im back"  we know Casey is tight with Todd and Im sure Todd and Scott dont really get along well as Im sure Scotts ego was bruised by Todd doing the drums on the Verdict. I also think Todd has all the leverage now as they simply cant have him just walk out so its really "what does Todd want" and it sure looks like Todd is the spokesman of the band,  Parker left over money if he could make more in the band he'd have stayed,  didnt Parker at one time work at a motorcycle dealership like 2 years ago to make extra cash? so cash is an issue here, Stone to me is not as good as Parker so I hope hes improved its not like they are bringing in a real name here and paying more.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:41:49 AM by EPICVIEW »