Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 696043 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Queensryche
« Reply #455 on: June 30, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »
https://www.queensryche.com/2011/06/30/get-started-music-video/

I love how it says validate to unlock exclusive content.  Since when is a promotional video exclusive content?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #456 on: June 30, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
its obviously not PROMOTIONAL if there doing it this way. Just because others videos are doesnt mean this one is
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #457 on: June 30, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
You know, even after all this I will store buy this piece of crap once it hits the stores here, I'm eager to listen to it.

This is the very first time ever I will not buy one of their albums.  I refuse to put another dime in their pockets.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: June 30, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
its obviously not PROMOTIONAL if there doing it this way. Just because others videos are doesnt mean this one is

Dude, so every other music video on the planet is free promotional material besides Queensryche's new video, give me a break.  I know you are obviously defending them, and that's great, but I've seen this band through all the hard times over the last 12 years and supported them fully, but enough is enough.  Geoff and his wife need to get their heads out of their own asses and realise they need to work hard at promoting their band, because really, as bosk said, they are just going down further and further.  As I said though, I will pay full price for the album, I'll give them some money and really give it a chance, but all our opinions on here about the poor management of the band at the moment, are completely valid.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #459 on: June 30, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »
You know, even after all this I will store buy this piece of crap once it hits the stores here, I'm eager to listen to it.

:lol You're funny man.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »
You know, even after all this I will still buy this piece of crap once it hits the stores here, I'm eager to listen to it.

This is the very first time ever I will not buy one of their albums.  I refuse to put another dime in their pockets.

I commend that bosk, I really do.  I'm just a weak sucker.  :(  I will offer a full review once I have it though, positive or negative.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: June 30, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
You know, even after all this I will still buy this piece of crap once it hits the stores here, I'm eager to listen to it.

:lol You're funny man.

:lol Cheers.  I still want to give it a shot.  Has anyone else on here got it yet, or am I gonna be the only sucker who will be $20 down?  :lol

Offline dongringo

« Reply #462 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
Ok, I gave it another couple spins and here's my review:

1. Get Started - decent enough song and single, like the bass lines, fun but not QR
2. Hot Spot Junkie - like this EJ song musically somewhat, very cheesy lyrics...can't get past them
3. Got It Bad - is what the title says it is
4. Around the World - catchy vocal melodies, musically appalling, lyrics will never change the world
5. Higher - sucks big time, who's Randy Gane anyway?
6. Retail Therapy - like the bass lines once again, cheesy lyrics, gets old fast
7. At the Edge - now this one sounds more like QR than most of the album, I quite like this GT song actually, a grower
8. Broken - one of only two songs that I actually like on the album and it's a Randy Gane song....bonus song at that, very melancholic, doesn't fit anywhere on the album though
9. Hard Times - so boring it almost put me to sleep, easy listening at best
10. Drive - catchy rhythmic beat, can't get past the cheesy lyrics once again
11. I Believe - uninspiring in every way, why would anyone want someone else's songs on their (his) album when they suck so bad?
12. Luvin U - see 11 above
13. Wot We Do - see 11 above
14. I Take You - see 11 above
15. The Lie - if this and HSJ are the best EJ had for the album there's a reason for the lack of influence within the band, really boring song in every way, shape and form
16. Big Noize - sounds like a b-side from GT's solo album, has potential as a song but ultimately ends up as boring and unmemorable as the rest of the album....and no....it won't change the world

GT - huge step down in vocal delivery, sounds depressed, social commentary makes him sound like an old man with nothing to do
SR - uninspired drumming, expected much more from him, guess he did what he could with what he was given though
EJ - did what he could with what he was given, problem is that his two contributions weren't worthy of a QR album either
MW - practically non-existent, didn't write any guitar parts or anything else
PL - don't know, a good employee I guess

Album as a whole. Mostly an uninspired mess of songs that don't fit together regardless of the album concept. A couple of decent songs/moments, but that's it. This is the best they could come up with? Why even bother. See title of song 9 above.

.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #463 on: July 01, 2011, 05:56:52 AM »

This ... Three albums ago. Despite a couple of dim (I can't even call them "bright") spots in Mindcrime II, that was the nail in the coffin for me. Haven't even touched AS or TC.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: July 01, 2011, 06:22:16 AM »
Ok, I gave it another couple spins and here's my review:

1. Get Started - decent enough song and single, like the bass lines, fun but not QR
2. Hot Spot Junkie - like this EJ song musically somewhat, very cheesy lyrics...can't get past them
3. Got It Bad - is what the title says it is
4. Around the World - catchy vocal melodies, musically appalling, lyrics will never change the world
5. Higher - sucks big time, who's Randy Gane anyway?
6. Retail Therapy - like the bass lines once again, cheesy lyrics, gets old fast
7. At the Edge - now this one sounds more like QR than most of the album, I quite like this GT song actually, a grower
8. Broken - one of only two songs that I actually like on the album and it's a Randy Gane song....bonus song at that, very melancholic, doesn't fit anywhere on the album though
9. Hard Times - so boring it almost put me to sleep, easy listening at best
10. Drive - catchy rhythmic beat, can't get past the cheesy lyrics once again
11. I Believe - uninspiring in every way, why would anyone want someone else's songs on their (his) album when they suck so bad?
12. Luvin U - see 11 above
13. Wot We Do - see 11 above
14. I Take You - see 11 above
15. The Lie - if this and HSJ are the best EJ had for the album there's a reason for the lack of influence within the band, really boring song in every way, shape and form
16. Big Noize - sounds like a b-side from GT's solo album, has potential as a song but ultimately ends up as boring and unmemorable as the rest of the album....and no....it won't change the world

GT - huge step down in vocal delivery, sounds depressed, social commentary makes him sound like an old man with nothing to do
SR - uninspired drumming, expected much more from him, guess he did what he could with what he was given though
EJ - did what he could with what he was given, problem is that his two contributions weren't worthy of a QR album either
MW - practically non-existent, didn't write any guitar parts or anything else
PL - don't know, a good employee I guess

Album as a whole. Mostly an uninspired mess of songs that don't fit together regardless of the album concept. A couple of decent songs/moments, but that's it. This is the best they could come up with? Why even bother. See title of song 9 above.

Wow, this must be bad, coming from you dude.  Can't wait to feast my ears!  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: July 01, 2011, 06:23:14 AM »

This ... Three albums ago. Despite a couple of dim (I can't even call them "bright") spots in Mindcrime II, that was the nail in the coffin for me. Haven't even touched AS or TC.

AS was pretty damn good, definitely a step in the right direction.  If DTC is as bad as people are saying it is, it's a HUGE step down.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #466 on: July 01, 2011, 08:03:45 AM »

I commend that bosk, I really do.  I'm just a weak sucker.  :(  I will offer a full review once I have it though, positive or negative.

I don't blame you one bit for buying it if that's what you want to do.  I've just gotten to a point where enough is enough and I feel like the band has long gone past the point of doing anything I am interested in supporting.

AS was pretty damn good, definitely a step in the right direction.  If DTC is as bad as people are saying it is, it's a HUGE step down.

I actually liked AS a lot, with one exception:  Geoff's vocal delivery was horrible.  If he refuses to take care of his voice AND refuses to take direction during the recording of an album, then he has squandered his very precious talent.  If you are a professional who takes pride in your work, there is no way you can release some of the vocal performances that are on Take Cover and American Soldier with a straight face.  Geoff knows how to sing properly, and there is no reason he can't do so in studio where you can take your time to make sure you are doing things right.  And Geoff also has the ability to redo lines as many times as necessary so that he doesn't sound like he rolled out of bed and delivered some songs in one take without a warmup.  But other than that, VERY good album.  There are a couple of artistic decisions I disagree with, but the band are entitled to do things fans may not agree with, so it's fine.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #467 on: July 01, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »
Imagine all bands having done this back in the day on MTV:

"Up next: the new Tears for Fears video.  To view this video, please enter the sales receipt number of your purchase on your special MTV remote to view this video.  If you don't, enjoy special footage of Boy George putting on his makeup."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #468 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »

"Up next: the new Tears for Fears video.  To view this video, please enter the sales receipt number of your purchase on your special MTV remote to view this video.  If you don't, enjoy special footage of Boy George putting on his makeup."
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #469 on: July 01, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: July 01, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »

I commend that bosk, I really do.  I'm just a weak sucker.  :(  I will offer a full review once I have it though, positive or negative.

I don't blame you one bit for buying it if that's what you want to do.  I've just gotten to a point where enough is enough and I feel like the band has long gone past the point of doing anything I am interested in supporting.

I actually liked AS a lot, with one exception:  Geoff's vocal delivery was horrible.  If he refuses to take care of his voice AND refuses to take direction during the recording of an album, then he has squandered his very precious talent.  If you are a professional who takes pride in your work, there is no way you can release some of the vocal performances that are on Take Cover and American Soldier with a straight face.  Geoff knows how to sing properly, and there is no reason he can't do so in studio where you can take your time to make sure you are doing things right.  And Geoff also has the ability to redo lines as many times as necessary so that he doesn't sound like he rolled out of bed and delivered some songs in one take without a warmup.  But other than that, VERY good album.  There are a couple of artistic decisions I disagree with, but the band are entitled to do things fans may not agree with, so it's fine.

I agree with all of this.  Geoff did sound very weak, and could have done a lot better.  Take Cover he just sounded awful.  One great thing about AS was Wilton really getting in some amazing guitar solos, obviously that will be missed on DTC.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: July 01, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »

:lol Tears for Fears FTW, amazing band.

But really, you prove the point of the whole argument, well done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #472 on: July 01, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
[In Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith singing voice]  Sue and Misty want to rule the world...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:22:17 PM by bosk1 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: July 01, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »
 :lol

I didn't really dig Slave to the System.  A gave their album a go, but it just didn't do it for me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #474 on: July 01, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »

Funny, but hardly a fair comparison and you know it. :p

Once again, I don't see what's wrong with releasing bonus content for people who have bought an album. Remember Dream Theater did it back with Train of Thought and the videos associated with that album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #475 on: July 01, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Remember Dream Theater did it back with Train of Thought and the videos associated with that album.
Not with a music video.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #476 on: July 01, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »
Remember Dream Theater did it back with Train of Thought and the videos associated with that album.
Not with a music video.

So?
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #477 on: July 01, 2011, 10:50:04 PM »
Queensryche - music video promo

Reminds me of an apple.

Train of Thought 

Oh, look!  An orange!  These two things are not very similar.

:D

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #478 on: July 01, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
Not with a music video.
So?
It just seems like 2 very different things: one of your music videos vs. some behind-the-scenes "making of" footage.  Making the latter only available with purchase makes sense to me; making your song video so just seems lame.  Not that I really care one way or another.

Offline Beautiful Agony

• My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #479 on: July 01, 2011, 11:12:10 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: July 03, 2011, 05:40:15 AM »
Damn, didn't find DTC in store this weekend.   :(  Will try again next weeked.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #481 on: July 03, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »

Take it as fate and spend it on the new Night Ranger instead. A perfect example of a classic band giving their fans what they want and doing it with love.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: July 03, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
They either

1. Sold all the copies in stock

or

2. Didn't stock any because they knew no one would buy them

#2 seems more probable
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #483 on: July 03, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
Seriously Wolf, buy a few 24 packs of water instead. At least you know you wont be wasting your money, and it's healthy!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #484 on: July 03, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »
Spend them on the Steam summer sale, much better way to lose your money!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: July 03, 2011, 02:31:32 PM »
Thanks for all the positive persuasions guys.  :heart :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #486 on: July 03, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
I broke down and ordered this... we shall see next week if it's as bad as it seems it could be.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: July 03, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »
I broke down and ordered this... we shall see next week if it's as bad as it seems it could be.

:tup  Look forward to your thoughts Nick.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #488 on: July 03, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »
My brother WAS more of a Ryche fan than me. Well, he hasn't been able to listen to DTC due to recovering after recently getting out of the hospital. Today, wearing his QR shirt, he finally had a chance to listen to it. He's in the living room listening to it now on $1000 Audeze LCD-2 headphones and Meier headphone amp. I went in to see how it was going. He had 2 songs left and said, "What a disaster. I don't know if I can listen to the last two songs."

Enough said.  :rollin
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: July 03, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »

Way to wimp-out. At least give it a shit review on your site, then. Ki needs to stop being your lowest review anyway  :biggrin: