Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 691990 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4270 on: April 08, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
Paging TAC (and others). Wilton would like you to know that PL is QR's most underrated album.  :biggrin:

Wilton's opinion aside, based on what I read here, I'd say it's overwhelmingly the most overrated.  The Warning seems to be criminally underrated.

To be fair, this forum is a relatively small pool to judge that by and just so happens to be a forum that's filled with people that are quite fond of progressive rock and metal. And really, Promised Land happens to be one of Queensryche's proggiest albums ever, so it's little wonder that it gets showered with love from a lot of members on here. We're basically the direct audience that would be most likely to enjoy that album.

I think if we were to somehow poll the whole majority of Queensryche fans out in the world, Promised Land would probably get far less recognition and praise from most. In fact, I'd say it'd probably be neck-and-neck with The Warning in terms of ranking behind Rage, Mindcrime and Empire (and possibly some of the La Torre era albums).

But yes, The Warning is a stellar album and is criminally underrated! Like Samsara said, The Warning is only held back by its somewhat dated production and incorrect track list. The originally intended order of the album helps it flow much better.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4271 on: April 08, 2020, 10:33:28 PM »
1. Promised Land
2. Out Of Mind
3. Someone Else
4. Disconnected
5. Real World
6. Lady Jane
7. I Am I
8. Damaged
9. One More Time
10. Bridge
11. My Global Mind
12. 9:28am
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4272 on: April 09, 2020, 06:32:00 AM »
To be fair, this forum is a relatively small pool to judge that by and just so happens to be a forum that's filled with people that are quite fond of progressive rock and metal. And really, Promised Land happens to be one of Queensryche's proggiest albums ever, so it's little wonder that it gets showered with love from a lot of members on here. We're basically the direct audience that would be most likely to enjoy that album.

I think if we were to somehow poll the whole majority of Queensryche fans out in the world, Promised Land would probably get far less recognition and praise from most. In fact, I'd say it'd probably be neck-and-neck with The Warning in terms of ranking behind Rage, Mindcrime and Empire (and possibly some of the La Torre era albums).

But yes, The Warning is a stellar album and is criminally underrated! Like Samsara said, The Warning is only held back by its somewhat dated production and incorrect track list. The originally intended order of the album helps it flow much better.

I can understand Warning and PL lagging behind the "peak" of the Rage-Empire run. One is on the way up the mountain, and one is on the way down.

My reasoning for not liking Promised Land doesn't have anything to do with "it's not metal". My opinion is that the songs just aren't good. It's as if the band stopped trying on half of the record. Samsara has written about the strife in the band, and with everyone not sharing the same commitment, it pulls the total quality of the songs apart.

And I guess I forgot what proggy means. I thought it was short for progressive, as in pushing boundaries.
I find Warning far more progressive than Promised Land. Far more.

Sorry. I don't mean to be a dick.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4273 on: April 09, 2020, 07:38:14 AM »
I struggled with Promised Land for a long time, and whilst its still not a favourite, its better than what came after. I hated the intro and skipped that all the time. I don't mind I Am I now but didn't like it at all back then.
Damaged is proper Queensryche. I didn't mind Bridge and Out of Mind at all but placing them together was a bit strange. Promised Land didn't do anything for me back then but I love it now. I've said before that I hate Disconnected. The rest is better but not up to the albums before it.

My rankings would go:

Worthy of the Queensryche name
Damaged
One More Time

Pretty good
Bridge, Out Of Mind, Real World, Someone Else?

Decent
My Global Mind, Promised Land, I Am I

OK
Lady Jane

Don't exist in my world
Disconnected, 9.28am
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:06:36 AM by Lowdz »

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4274 on: April 09, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »
Tim -- "proggy" has taken on various different meanings over the years. In Queensryche's case, it's about shifting styles and moods. That's very different than the sort of "proggy" sound delivered by DT or Symphony X.

Regarding "Bridge" - I find the tune to be among the best on the record. The melancholy nature of the song and the introspective vibe fits the record and its mood perfectly.  But again, that's all person taste, so if you don't dig it, I get it, but I respectfully disagree. :)

Thanks for reading the blog. And "I Am I" was the lead single off the record. lol.

As for the song rankings on the record, other than the title track (which is one of the best things they've ever done, and there's nothing that moody and dark in their catalog), we're not that far apart:

1. Damaged
2. Promised Land

3. Bridge
4. Someone Else?
5. One More Time

6. My Global Mind (album version -- they were never able to get the vocal layering right in the chorus live)
7. 9:28 a.m./I Am I
8. Out of Mind (this low, despite what I regard as one of DeGarmo's finest guitar solos)
9. Lady Jane

10. Dis-con-nec-ted (it fits the flow of the record, and its interesting to listen to in that context, but it's never been a good standalone track to me)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4275 on: April 09, 2020, 08:05:27 AM »
I like the second half of the album better than the first one, so my ranking is a reflection of that:

1. Damaged (probably my favorite Queensryche song)
2. Lady Jane
3. Disconnected
4. One more time
5. Promised land
6. My global mind
7. Someone else
8. Out of mind
9. Bridge
10. I am I

It's still great as a whole, though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4276 on: April 09, 2020, 08:16:35 AM »
Good morning TAC.

Did my post trigger your alarm clock? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4277 on: April 09, 2020, 08:30:38 AM »
Good morning TAC.

Been up since 5 a.m. Pacific my man!

Amen to both of those statements. "Damaged" is in my top-5.

Top-5 Original Lineup Queensryche songs:

1. Anybody Listening?
2. NM 156
3. Screaming in Digital
4. Roads to Madness
5. Damaged
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline emtee

« Reply #4278 on: April 09, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
I agree about Tate in his prime. For me, the top two would be
Perry and Tate. Somebody Else has got to be among my favorite
recorded vocal performances ever.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4279 on: April 09, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »
Good morning TAC.

Been up since 5 a.m. Pacific my man!

Amen to both of those statements. "Damaged" is in my top-5.

1. Anybody Listening?
2. NM 156
3. Screaming in Digital
4. Roads to Madness
5. Damaged

My top 5 would be similar (very hard to narrow down though). I would have Suite Sister Mary at 1 and I'd drop Damaged out of that list.

Online pg1067

« Reply #4280 on: April 09, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »
Regarding The Warning - I also think that album is underrated in terms of the songs and performances. The problem is, it has a really dated mix that doesn't emphasize the guitars the way it should. The Warning and the EP were records I picked up AFTER Empire. I started with Rage and Mindcrime in the late 80s. I want to say Summer 87, so it was likely Rage. Then I rented "Live in Tokyo" from the local video store. I HATED it.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Then I got Empire, loved that, and finally went back and listened to The Warning and the EP...and liked them. But the production was just too flat. But then the brilliance of The Warning hit me, and I "listen around" the bad mix and think it's probably my second favorite Queensryche record after Mindcrime.  :metal  I also changed the track order to what the band intended, and to me, the flow of the songs is 1000x improved, and it really helped me connect with the album as a whole.

Maybe I'm just unsophisticated, but I don't think I've ever heard an album (other than Vapor Trails by Rush) where the production impeded my enjoyment.  Of course, my intro to QR came somewhere around the time that The Warning came out.  I saw the QOTR video on MTV (at that time, the cheese of that video was actually cool) and was beyond blown away by Tate.  Take Hold got played on the radio, and I bought The Warning and the Live in Tokyo video and fell in love.  My friends and I used to watch that video, which I still have and watch on occasion.  I was initially disappointed by Rage (although I've warmed up to it over the years.  O:M is utterly brilliant.  Sounds like TAC and I have virtually the same thoughts about Empire (although I can't say I actually gave thought to "what will come next").  It was too polished and sounded like a blatant attempt to be commercial.  In retrospect, it's a half-and-half album, with the odd numbered songs being killer and the even numbered songs being "meh" to average.  Promised Land does nothing for me (other than make me want to do damage to the disc and my music players), but I do really like both I Am I and Damaged.  The title track is just awful.

My reasoning for not liking Promised Land doesn't have anything to do with "it's not metal". My opinion is that the songs just aren't good. It's as if the band stopped trying on half of the record. . . .

And I guess I forgot what proggy means. I thought it was short for progressive, as in pushing boundaries.

If that's dickish, then count me in because that's pretty much how I feel (although I'd add that both Rage and O:M are also far more "proggy" than PL).

1. Anybody Listening?
2. NM 156
3. Screaming in Digital
4. Roads to Madness
5. Damaged

Wow...I don't know if I could do this, but candidates would be:

QOTR
Prophecy
Warning
Deliverance
NM156
Roads to Madness
Neue Regel
London
I Will Remember
Speak
The Mission
Suit Sister Mary
Eyes of a Stranger
Resistance
Anybody Listening?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4281 on: April 09, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
re: album mix/master/production that hampers enjoyment

>>>It's happened to me on a few occasions. For the record, I've moved on from it with The Warning. Once I re-ordered the track list, the album obviously hit me a lot harder. It flowed better and I connected with it. But when I was 12 and first heard that album, after listening to how well they were captured on Rage and Mindcrime, it just didn't sound "right" to me. But as I said somewhere above, I consider The Warning to be Queensryche's second best album behind Mindcrime.

re: Promised Land

>>>I love the huge disparity of opinion on the album. Will say this though -- regarding the mix/master/production, I consider Promised Land to be the band's finest sounding album. They had the budget and the time, and really nailed it. Empire got a lot of accolades for its mix and overall sonics, and it deserves it. But I love how Promised Land found a way to capture that same essence (thank you Jimbo Barton) and find a way to carve out a deeper bass sound. Everything is just deep and haunting on that record.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4282 on: April 09, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »
Promised Land was different (and progressive afaic) so understandably divisive. Surely respectable, though.

Everything that came after was so far below par that I'm still cross about it. They've been dead to me for decades now.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4283 on: April 09, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
To me....

Promised Land was true snapshot of where the band was in headspace , fame and family, the message of achieving and what for?   The tour was unrivaled ..The songs are a vehicle of that concept and to me its the album only entirely

I liked Hear in the Now more today than Promised Land

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4284 on: April 09, 2020, 07:41:10 PM »
I ain't gonna lie. The Promised Land tour was one of the best concerts I ever went to. I found Out Of Mind absolutely haunting live.

What was weird was that I didn't like the album, nor did I think Queensryche was a particularly strong live band.

But that show was stupendous.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4285 on: April 09, 2020, 07:57:43 PM »
I can understand Warning and PL lagging behind the "peak" of the Rage-Empire run. One is on the way up the mountain, and one is on the way down.

My reasoning for not liking Promised Land doesn't have anything to do with "it's not metal". My opinion is that the songs just aren't good. It's as if the band stopped trying on half of the record. Samsara has written about the strife in the band, and with everyone not sharing the same commitment, it pulls the total quality of the songs apart.

You're not being a dick, it's good. And I totally respect your opinion about not liking the songs. Music's subjective, it happens.

My point wasn't directed at you though, nor was I trying to claim that most PL haters didn't like it for not being heavy enough. My argument was that it didn't register for a lot of audiences- especially post-Empire general audiences, because it was more heady and atmospheric. More progressive in the old school Pink Floyd vein, rather than the sort of progressive metal/rock we see in Rage for Order or Operation: Mindcrime.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4286 on: April 09, 2020, 08:04:02 PM »
I ain't gonna lie. The Promised Land tour was one of the best concerts I ever went to. I found Out Of Mind absolutely haunting live.

What was weird was that I didn't like the album, nor did I think Queensryche was a particularly strong live band.

But that show was stupendous.

Yup Bro ,,,, yup...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4287 on: April 09, 2020, 08:18:05 PM »

You're not being a dick, it's good. And I totally respect your opinion about not liking the songs. Music's subjective, it happens.

My point wasn't directed at you though, nor was I trying to claim that most PL haters didn't like it for not being heavy enough. My argument was that it didn't register for a lot of audiences- especially post-Empire general audiences, because it was more heady and atmospheric. More progressive in the old school Pink Floyd vein, rather than the sort of progressive metal/rock we see in Rage for Order or Operation: Mindcrime.

Mr. G, I didn't think you were talking to me with the heavy comment.

(and I'm not directing this at you) I think frankly that's the argument the pro PL guys use when they can't figure out why everyone doesn't like it. Blame it on the lack of metal heads.

That tour was very well attended as far as I could tell. Maybe Samsara could chime in on that. I'm pretty sure my show was.

I think Samsara has documented that the band's implosion was underway on Promised Land, and to me,  after hearing the album, that makes total sense, and justifies my dissatisfaction with it. I had paid extremely close attention to Queensryche from the release of the EP, and sometimes a band's strife does manifest itself in the music. Many people point to Hear In The Now Frontier for this, but I hear it in PL.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4288 on: April 09, 2020, 09:59:29 PM »
Just wanted to chime in to say that I love Promised Land.  I'm jealous of those who saw that tour.  I've heard it described by a lot of different people and it sounds like it was awesome.

Also I think I Am I is a great song. :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4289 on: April 09, 2020, 10:27:53 PM »
I only saw classic era QR one time, and one time only. 

It was the OMC tour, and they had just come home for New Year's Eve after an long stint touring the country opening for Metallica.   They were coming home, they were headlining, Metal Church was opening, and it was THE MINDCRIME TOUR.    It should have been the greatest show ever.   By the time they got to Spreading the Disease, everyone was convinced that they were going to play OMC in its entirety.     You have no idea how pissed I was when the set went straight from The Mission, into The Needle Lies.     To this day, it is the biggest disappointment of my concert going life.   And then I missed the Empire Tour, and then I missed the Promised Land Tour, and now I am completely jealous of each and every one of you. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4290 on: April 09, 2020, 11:39:54 PM »

That tour was very well attended as far as I could tell. Maybe Samsara could chime in on that. I'm pretty sure my show was.

Yeah, the sheds were pretty full man. Jones Beach was.

I think Samsara has documented that the band's implosion was underway on Promised Land, and to me,  after hearing the album, that makes total sense, and justifies my dissatisfaction with it. I had paid extremely close attention to Queensryche from the release of the EP, and sometimes a band's strife does manifest itself in the music. Many people point to Hear In The Now Frontier for this, but I hear it in PL.

That is true, some of the internal stuff came to a head after Empire (divorces and stuff which led to a lot of the introspective material). When I found out about that retrospectively years after PL, I just thought it was angst bringing out great songs (as a fan of the record). Bad experiences usually turn into great songs, and with PL, I certainly thought that.

What I think gets overlooked sometimes with PL and with HITNF is that one of the band's major riff writers wasn't nearly as prolific during these cycles. Wilton was huge for QR from the EP-Empire. And then after Empire, he took a backseat for various reasons. Then again, most folks love "Damaged" off PL, and Wilton didn't write that song -- Chris did, musically. So the "metal" aspect of QR was still there. I just think the band was exploring new ways of writing, and didn't want to get pigeon-holed as one thing. It was very smart of them until they took a turn that wasn't favored by the mainstream (PL). The fickle nature of folks (hell, we're all guilty of it).

Do I think the "strife" as TAC put it steered the direction of the PL record -- yes. Internal band strife, but personal issues stemming from the band's success with Empire. Absolutely. Folks also forget that "Real World" and "Dirty Lil Secret" were both written in 1993, at the "start" of the work that would become Promised Land. Both those songs are really solid tracks, with the latter not being dark, but instead some cheeky social commentary. The band elected to pursue a different direction. But I also think the natural evolution of the band has been trending more and more toward atmosphere and simplicity at the time anyway. The success of "Silent Lucidity" and that approach they used for the Empire record of making sure the songs were complete, standalone single-ready tunes had a lot to do with that. And frankly, you could have released all 11 songs from Empire as singles.

Hear in the Now Frontier was much more accessible than PL, and frankly, I think it would have been more successful had it come after Empire because it was more radio friendly. The band seemed to take the Empire approach, but with more alternative stylings, drawing from the success bands from Seattle in the 90s had. Sign of the Times and You were really big at radio...and then EMI shut its doors, and there went the push. And QR went down the drain with it.

I don't hear "strife" in HITNF at all, honestly. I hear a band's major songwriter trying his best to get the band's profile up by trying to tap into a more mainstream element that he, was into at the time (DeGarmo was/is a big fan of Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, and HITNF sounds a ton like SG's Down on the Upside). Frankly, HITNF has absolutely grown on me BIG time over the years. So much ear candy on there guitar-wise - just not in the metal sense. But if you just listen to the guitars, I'd argue that it was QR's best guitar album since Operation: Mindcrime. :)

I wrote a retrospective review on it a few years back that really sums up my thoughts on it - https://anybodylistening.net/hitnf-20.html

I didn't really hear the connection to SG's Down on the Upside until about a year after I wrote that. But if you listen to both records, you'll absolutely hear it. And to me, that signaled that DeGarmo was doing his best to bring his band back to relevancy. And as I said earlier it would have worked, IMO, had EMI not folded right after the album was released (Sign of the Times had been out for six weeks, and then You dropped, and then a couple weeks after You was on radio, EMI closed up shop). It has the right material for the right time. That record was FULL of songs with single potential. Sign of the Times, You, Reach, The Voice Inside, and Some People Fly with that great melody in the chorus could all have done it for them.

Folks might not have liked that evolution, songwriting-wise, but it WAS distinctly Queensryche. The distinction of Chris guitar, the melody choices, etc., screamed QR. But did it in a much more alternative way. Was it my favorite album? Of course not. But I absolutely see what Chris was going for, and he would have gotten them there if EMI hadn't gone belly-up.

I don't think HITNF is as strong an album as PL, Empire, or anything before it. I'm not saying THAT. But I'm saying it likely would have been hailed as a return to form of sorts (at least in the eyes of the mainstream) had the financial support been behind it. It had the single-ready material for it, a sound that was popular for the time, a great combination of striking artwork and imagery with extremely good (You and Anytime/Anywhere aside) lyrical content to hook into. EMI's nosedive is what killed HITNF...not the songs or direction.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4291 on: April 10, 2020, 08:09:41 AM »

It was the OMC tour, and they had just come home for New Year's Eve after an long stint touring the country opening for Metallica.   They were coming home, they were headlining, Metal Church was opening, and it was THE MINDCRIME TOUR.    It should have been the greatest show ever.   By the time they got to Spreading the Disease, everyone was convinced that they were going to play OMC in its entirety.     You have no idea how pissed I was when the set went straight from The Mission, into The Needle Lies.     To this day, it is the biggest disappointment of my concert going life.   And then I missed the Empire Tour, and then I missed the Promised Land Tour, and now I am completely jealous of each and every one of you.

JD - you saw them at a great time -- a headline show during the Mindcrime tour. That show is legendary for the M-80 or whatever that went off during "No Sanctuary" and was broadcast live nationally on ZRock. To be honest, while the Empire show was their commercial peak, and PL tour might have been their artistic peak, those Mindcrime headline shows were their METAL peak. All those songs from The Warning, Rage, and Mindcrime. So. Damn. Cool. Just look at the setlist - https://anybodylistening.net/12-31-88.html

So to be honest, I'm extremely jealous of you, those who saw the one-off headline shows and small headline tours (Japan, California, etc.) in 1989.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4292 on: April 10, 2020, 08:15:47 AM »
I am jealous of you all - they didn't even get out here until the OM1 + OM2 shows.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4293 on: April 10, 2020, 08:26:24 AM »
This is pretty fun to listen to.

Video 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2TGm0eWPSU / Glenn Fricker explains remixing the track, Everything, from the Frequency Unknown record and the fact that he was never paid for his work.

Video 2 - https://www.facebook.com/Richard.Tater/videos/2757336720988710/   / Craig Locicero (Forbidden)'s 25 minute live video explaining his involvement in the Frequency Unknown record and what went into rewriting and recording the songs, as a response to Glenn's video.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4294 on: April 10, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
Samsara...

I remember that it was announced it was being broadcast for Zrock...but never found a boot. Is there one floating around somewhere??

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4295 on: April 10, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
Samsara...

I remember that it was announced it was being broadcast for Zrock...but never found a boot. Is there one floating around somewhere??

Yep! 99 percent sure its on YouTube. That was the show where they didn't dial in Queen of the Reich right at first. The mix was all off.

If you can't find it on YouTube, let me know and I'll get a copy of the show to you.

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #4296 on: April 10, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
Samsara...

I put it on YouTube :)
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxDcWR6wjL0fN_KAWmXyFIwvQ4mo_-w9g

There is also a pretty decent audience recording from the show too. I'll have to get that up some day as well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4297 on: April 10, 2020, 08:05:44 PM »

JD - you saw them at a great time -- a headline show during the Mindcrime tour. That show is legendary for the M-80 or whatever that went off during "No Sanctuary" and was broadcast live nationally on ZRock. To be honest, while the Empire show was their commercial peak, and PL tour might have been their artistic peak, those Mindcrime headline shows were their METAL peak. All those songs from The Warning, Rage, and Mindcrime. So. Damn. Cool. Just look at the setlist - https://anybodylistening.net/12-31-88.html

So to be honest, I'm extremely jealous of you, those who saw the one-off headline shows and small headline tours (Japan, California, etc.) in 1989.

You mentioned that explosion during No Sanctuary.    I can say that that recording didn't do it justice.   That explosion was *HUGE*.     If it was an M-80, then the acoustics of the arena made it sound 10 times larger.   I'm not a big fireworks guy, but several people near me were in shock and swearing up and down "That was no M-80...that was a quarter stick."   But again, I don't even know much about these things.  I just know what people around me were saying.   I will say I've heard an M-80 go off, and it didn't sound like that.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4298 on: April 13, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »
On the subject of HITNF, it was a huge disappointment. PL took a while to open itself up to me but HITNF was just so flat and lifeless. I’m listening to it now and it’s just there. But still better than anything that came after it. This isn’t QR to me. Chris should have done it as a solo album. Is Wilton even on here? It all just sounds like Chris and his slide.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4299 on: April 13, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »
I liked what they tried to do with HITNF, but the songs just aren't there. It is my favorite band pic on the sleeve though.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4300 on: April 13, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
I like HITNF...  again the tour sold  it ,,, voice inside was  a great opener,  what ruined it for me was I was aware the band was ending and that made me feel somber during the shows to some extent and I guess that dry feeling on the mix fit to me.  I feel the disc holds up real well and doesnt feel dated  to me. to me Chris took some real chances and Geoff brought the emotion,,, to me its very much a classic and finishes what Chris knew was ending for him very beautifully ,, 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:30:27 PM by EPICVIEW »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4301 on: April 13, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »
I like more songs on HITNF than I do on PL.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4302 on: April 13, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »
There are a few gems. Some People Fly is probably my favorite of the entire disc. Certainly has more emotion than anything else on that disc. But I seem to remember also liking You, Reach, and sp00l. Most of the rest sounded like Q2Krap’s B-sides.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4303 on: April 13, 2020, 07:52:52 PM »
My faves off of HITNF are Anytime Anywhere and Hit The Black.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4304 on: April 13, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »
“You” is easily my favorite from HITNF.  The less is more mentality is with this album I think. Knock it down to 10 songs total and it’s much better IMO