Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695734 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Queensryche
« Reply #420 on: June 27, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »
Man, the footage from that tour is beyond embarrassing. Queensryche have become a parody of themselves.

They have indeed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: June 27, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »
Man, the footage from that tour is beyond embarrassing. Queensryche have become a parody of themselves.
I agree, I just can't believe they were the same band that wrote O:M and The Warning :(

They aren't. Wilton and Degarmo didn't write anything for Dedicated to Chaos. And musically, those were the two who wrote all the music to those two records (aside from a brief segue section).

That's what the casual fan of QR doesn't understand. Queensryche hasn't been a band since 2003. When Degarmo left them again, it became Geoff's band. He's written with outside writers since then, and while Mindcrime II (Hostage is band-written, but it was originally meant for Tribe), American Soldier and Dedicated 2 Chaos are under the "Queensryche" name, they are essentially solo albums, featuring PERFORMANCES from members of Queensryche.

The main music songwriters of Queensryche from 1981-1997 and 2003's Tribe were Degarmo and Wilton. neither of the two have written a note for Queensryche in two albums.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #422 on: June 27, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »
At least if they were like Tate's solo album, I would still be happier because it had some great songs. Who wrote the songs for that one and is GT still working with them? Doesn't sound like it to me.
(oh, just saw I'm not DT/net/dtf.org alumni vet etc, sadface)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: June 27, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
It would seem to me that the obvious solution is to simply make an album for themselves - one that represents who they truly are, reflects their own musical taste, and is an honest artistic expression of a band that at this point should be mature and confident enough in themselves to just do what comes naturally and not worry about the rest.

Emphasis on "obvious."  ;)

They tried that. it was Tribe, and they nearly imploded before Chris came in and helped them salvage the ideas. at that point, Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield had written songs for the album together...Geoff didn't like it. Then they re-wrote it, Geoff still didn't like it, and tried to get outside writers in. At that point, Chris heard what they were doing, was intrigued by the theme (a total guess on my part, but QR was recording with Adam Kasper, who is a friend of Chris', so he probably told Chris about it), and Chris extended the olive branch to get with them again.

For various reasons, it didn't work out, but Chris' involvement made that album actually HAPPEN, albeit in an incomplete form.

Tate just doesn't connect with Wilton at all, musically it seems any longer. And Tate calls the shots. So if he wants to go to outside writers, that's what he'll do. They come cheaper.

It's pathetic.

Thank God the original lineup of QR was as good as they were. That material sits on a level all its own.

Abydos -- if Tate would have called MC II, American Soldier, and D2C solo records, I would have a lot more respect for him, and have supported the efforts more. One of the guys on his actual solo record, Jeff Carrel (sp), wrote one of the tunes on D2C. I forget which one. One of the riffier ones if I recall.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #424 on: June 27, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
I remember Jason Slater mentioning that Geoff is the one who has to sing and sell the stuff on stage every night so he has to like it. I suppose there is the possibility that that Wilton / Jackson just can't or don't write anything that Geoff likes anymore. Too bad we can't hear what their ideas were.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline LTE777

« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:11 AM »
To be honest i have been listening to this cd for a few days now (pre order came 2 days ago) and i must say, this us the first album since Empire that i actually really like.

Got the special edition which i recommend and apart from GT obvious struggle with his voice aging, he does a great job and the music is actually quite good (apart from some sub-par songs and corny vocals).

Listen to it really loud or through good headphones (preferably with the special edition bonus songs) and apart from some really corny bits and a few dodgy songs, there are some real gems on here.

Highlights: Hot spot junkie, At the edge, Broken, Get started (reminds me of old school QR).

Its still sinking in but its not the disaster everyone is making it out to be, give it a chance its not bad at all and quite fun!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2011, 06:13:40 AM »
Good news LTE.  I am still really eager to get it and give it a good spin.  I'm gonna give it a really good chance.  And Get Started is an excellent track.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #427 on: June 28, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »
I've listened to the new album a couple of times and it saddens me that there isn't ONE song that I can honestly say I like.  Some songs get stuck in your head, but not in a good way.  I don't really hear anything associated with what made Queensryche the success they were.  A gigantic failed experiment for sure.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #428 on: June 28, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »
Ok, I've listened to it once through with an open mind and here's my opinion:

DTC pretty much sucks. First of all, this truly is a GT solo record in every sense of the word, but it's not even a good GT solo record. This album is boring! It's so unbelievably boring it's unbelievable. A huge disappointment. I'll give it another spin, but I seriously doubt it will change my view.

.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #429 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:42 PM »
I actually like at least half of the album and I don't think it's their worst (that would be Tribe). I'm especially impressed with Drive, At the Edge, Hard Times, The Lie, Big Noize, and Broken; they are all interesting, fresh, and catchy in my opinion. However, like the rest of you, I really wish this could have just been Geoff Tate's 2nd solo album. Queensryche's audience has been deserting them for obvious reasons and they continue to ignore all the valid advice, so it's hard to sympathize with them if this is actually the final nail in the coffin. I really wish Michael and Eddie could have done something. I felt so embarrassed for them to be a part of the Cabaret and that unforgiving Wot We Do video. I am really interested to see how this tour goes and what the attendance is like.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »
I have to say I don't feel sorry for him at all. He and Edbass should man up and either put their point of view across or leave. They seem the two who are unhappy about things judging by Ed's previous apology for the album. I guess they are just employees these days, working for the man but hating their job.

This is the way I see it as well. What kind of contract did they sign that took away their input? Or is Geoff so OCD controlling that they just gave in?

To add to what Samsara said above:  I doubt there is anything contractual that actually took away their input.  But here's the reality of how Queensryche is structured as a corporate entity:  The best-case scenario is that Tate and Rockenfield together own 50%, with Ed and Whip owning the other 50%.  When it comes to band decisions, Scott will almost always side with Tate because he knows where his bread is buttered and because his wife and Susan are VERY tight.  So in this situation, 50% of the band (Geoff and Scott) feel strongly that they want to go a certain direction.  The other 50% (Whip and Ed) don't, but if they don't go along, the band is deadlocked, which means nothing gets done and they don't have a much-needed paycheck rolling in.  They don't have the outside projects and income streams that Geoff and Scott have built up over the years, so they would suffer if they didn't just go along for the ride.  So when you have a couple of guys that are already somewhat passive in their personalities, it is much easier to be nonconfrontational than to try to go against the grain.

But let's imagine a different scenario, and we have to go back over a decade to Chris' departure here, so let's fire up the wayback machine.  With Chris in the band, the band is actually owned equally by 5 individuals.  Let's assume just so we're dealing with easy numbers, that you have 100 shares divided equally (20 per person).  When Chris leaves, what do they do with his shares?  In the previous paragraph, the "best case" scenario for the others is that the shares were either retired, or were bought equally by the remaining 4 members.  But what if Geoff bought them all?  He now has a 40% interest (and 40% of the vote).  Coupled with Scott, it's a 60% majority.  Now who is in control?  Or maybe Geoff doesn't buy them all, but they decide to take Chris' shares and divide them 5 ways.  Why 5?  Because Susan Tate is taking such a HUGE role in managing the band that she deserves to have a tiny ownership slice, so why not give her 4%?  Now you have an ownership structure like this:
-Geoff Tate:  24%
-Scott Rockenfield:  24%
-Michael Wilton:  24%
-Eddie Jackson:  24%
-Susan Tate:  4%
Guess what?  The Tate/Rockenfield voting block is now a majority of 52% to Ed/Whip's 48%.  This is how corporations are taken over very subtly, and I'm guessing something similar could have happened here. 

So why are the band making the decisions they are making?  Because while the band's legacy is firmly rooted in metal, Geoff isn't a metalhead to the core and is more interested in making what he considers "art," whether it be the music itself or the presentation.  He is pursuing what he wants to pursue, and he knows a certain number of people will support the band regardless of what they do.  Besides, the more "casual" fans out there don't really care about any new QR material.  They want to come to a show and hear the hits.  So if QR can put out an album for the purpose of getting out on tour, and they know the vast majority of the set will be the hits and classics, that's all that matters.  No matter how the new album sounds, they have a reason to get out on the road and make money. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »
Nicely said, bosk1. Nail on the head.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
So why are the band making the decisions they are making?  Because while the band's legacy is firmly rooted in metal, Geoff isn't a metalhead to the core and is more interested in making what he considers "art," whether it be the music itself or the presentation.  He is pursuing what he wants to pursue, and he knows a certain number of people will support the band regardless of what they do.  Besides, the more "casual" fans out there don't really care about any new QR material.  They want to come to a show and hear the hits.  So if QR can put out an album for the purpose of getting out on tour, and they know the vast majority of the set will be the hits and classics, that's all that matters.  No matter how the new album sounds, they have a reason to get out on the road and make money.

Makes perfect sense.

Someone just posted this to RR on DT's youtube channel in the OTBOA comment section:

"please drop Queensryche after the steaming pile that is dedicated to choas"

:rollin
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
new album would be amazing if not for those silly tech no bits...
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:36 AM »
Here's an Amazon.com review for the new album:

I remember now, I remember how it started, I can't remember yesterday, I just remember liking what they told me

Made me chuckle.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: June 30, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
....Good lord

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=160122

QUEENSRŸCHE: See Band's New Video, But Only If You Can Prove You Purchased New Album - June 30, 2011

"Get Started", the new video from Seattle progressive rockers QUEENSRŸCHE, can be seen using the widget below. However, in order to see the clip, you have to first "validate" your purchase of the band's new album, "Dedicated To Chaos".

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
I think RR are deliberately running QR into the ground so they can relieve them of their contracts before they expire. This is just outright hilarious.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: June 30, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
Either that, or the band knows that everyone hates the new album and they just want to fuck with us.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #438 on: June 30, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
Although I can understand why QR fans might get a bit pissy, I wish this is something more bands would do. If they make a video with no attempt at actually getting it mass play I'd rather it go to the fans who are actually supporting the band than everyone who wants to see it. The problem in this case is QR is hardly worth anyone's support anymore.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #439 on: June 30, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
This was too good not to repost here: 

Dear Queensryche management:

Yesterday Dream Theater premiered a new song from their new album FOR FREE, received over 290,000 views in about 24 hrs, with a 96% positive review.

You on the other hand expect people to pay to see a video from an album that is being harshly criticized by not only your fans but the music public in general.   :doh:

Enjoy your early retirement.

Sincerely,
A Fan No Longer.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #440 on: June 30, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »

Yesterday Dream Theater premiered a new song from their new album FOR FREE, received over 290,000 views in about 24 hrs, with a 96% positive review.

You on the other hand expect people to pay to see a video from an album that is being harshly criticized by not only your fans but the music public in general.   :doh:

Sincerely,
A Fan No Longer.

Your welcome.  ;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: June 30, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »

Sincerely,
A Fan No Longer.

Your welcome.  ;)

:lol Ouch.

• Your majesty
« Reply #442 on: June 30, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
Way to overreact ::) there businessmen what should they do?? they already have plenty of fans and it discourages children from downloading ilegally.
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #443 on: June 30, 2011, 03:51:12 PM »
....Good lord

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=160122

QUEENSRŸCHE: See Band's New Video, But Only If You Can Prove You Purchased New Album - June 30, 2011

"Get Started", the new video from Seattle progressive rockers QUEENSRŸCHE, can be seen using the widget below. However, in order to see the clip, you have to first "validate" your purchase of the band's new album, "Dedicated To Chaos".

Yeah that's it, i'm done with this band.  >:(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #444 on: June 30, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »

Sincerely,
A Fan No Longer.

Your welcome.  ;)

Next time, save the good stuff for the good forum.  ;)

Hey, at least I credited you and didn't try to claim it as my own.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #445 on: June 30, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »

???  Ouch what?  I credited him in the quote.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: June 30, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »

???  Ouch what?  I credited him in the quote.

No, I mean, ouch on the content of the letter towards Queensryche.  I fully support it, reading that you have to validate a purchase to see a video is bullshit.

I probably should have just quoted you bosk, apologies.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #447 on: June 30, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »
Way to overreact ::) there businessmen what should they do?? they already have plenty of fans and it discourages children from downloading ilegally.

it's horrible PR thats why.  They should be using the internet to help them, not hurt them.

• Your majesty
« Reply #448 on: June 30, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »
they dont need any help

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #449 on: June 30, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »
they dont need any help

Yeah, they really do.  Their ticket sales and album sales numbers have been declining with each successive album.  They desperately need all the positive promotion they can get.  Videos have always been used to generate interest and promote an album.  If I were on the fence about buying the album, I surely wouldn't be saying to myself right now, "Oh, well I guess I better go buy this now so I can see this here video the band has locked away."  As has become typical in the QR camp, their management has it completely backwards.

@Whichever of Susan's minions reads this (yes, I know you are here):  Please pass this post on to her in its entirety.  Tell her it's courtesy of the guy she hooked up in Portland who WAS (past tense) her biggest fan.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #450 on: June 30, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
 :rollin
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »

But that is not the point of doing a music video.  A music video is kind of like a trailer for the album.  You get to hear a song from the album, and you get a sense of the band, their style and what they are all about.  Back in the 80's and early 90's, one of the main ways you discovered new bands (for better or worse) was by watching MTV.  You didn't have to pay to see a particular band's new vid, you just tuned in and checked it out.  Making you buy the album to watch the video is like making you buy a movie to watch the trailer; it's an ass-backwards way of doing business and making money.  And frankly, I don't see how making the video bonus content for loyal customers will impact piracy in any serious way: in an age when you can download entire movies via torrent, I doubt there is much hassle in downloading a Queensryche music video either.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: June 30, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
A music video is a piece of promotional material, nobody should have to pay to see one, that's absurd.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #453 on: June 30, 2011, 08:01:42 PM »
So get this. I wasted my hard earned cash on their ****** album via Amazon mp3 download, something I rarely do as 256 kbps variable bit rate is ****** quality. Never the less, I just wanted to see if I could watch their ****** video since I paid for their ****** album and guess what? I can't because their ****** system only confirms itunes mp3 or cd purchases. So I bought their ****** album and I can't watch ****....not that I wanted to anyway.

Sorry for all the ************. I thought it'd be overkill if I actually typed the words.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: June 30, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »
So get this. I wasted my hard earned cash on their ****** album via Amazon mp3 download, something I rarely do as 256 kbps variable bit rate is ****** quality. Never the less, I just wanted to see if I could watch their ****** video since I paid for their ****** album and guess what? I can't because their ****** system only confirms itunes mp3 or cd purchases. So I bought their ****** album and I can't watch ****....not that I wanted to anyway.

Sorry for all the ************. I thought it'd be overkill if I actually typed the words.

U mad bro?

Give it time and it will be on youtube anyway.  You know, even after all this I will still buy this piece of crap once it hits the stores here, I'm eager to listen to it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:13:30 PM by wolfking »