Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695675 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Queensryche
« Reply #385 on: June 21, 2011, 04:25:42 PM »
dongringo, nobody is calling you an idiot at all, just giving our point of views.

And IMO, Bruce has sung better in the 2000's than he did in the 1980's.  Halford has gone downhill so much it's embarrasing.

This is probably the first time I've disagreed with you Wolfie. BD is a poor imitation of his 80s goods these days. He was terrible on TFF, and that was in the studio. He sounded in pain. He sounded better on the more laid back stuff though.

Back to QR, they may have the odd decent song these days but they were soo awesome back in the 80s/early 90s, the odd good song isn't going to cut it. No-one could touch them. They appear to be finished as a recording act judging by this.

I agree that he sounded ordinary on the final frontier.  I was only talking strictly live.  Studio albums there is no contest that he was better in the 80's, but now I find him more consistent live then he was back in the day.  The band simply toured too much though back in the day in his defense.  And you listen to Bruce on LAD and Maiden England which were well into the tour, he just sounds wrecked.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: June 21, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fod9kQpRQA&feature=feedu

Some of the snippets sound pretty okay.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #387 on: June 21, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »
That was a good interview, part 1 and 2.

Thank you bosk1 and wolfking for clarifying your thoughts. Now I don't feel like I'm being ganged up on.  :tup

For the record, I haven't seen a great GT performance since the Empire tour. Only one very good performance, one good, one ok, and one bad.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #388 on: June 21, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »
Man, the footage from that tour is beyond embarrassing. Queensryche have become a parody of themselves.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #389 on: June 22, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
Wilton Responds to Recent Interviews:

https://www.queensryche.com/2011/06/22/wilton-responds-to-recent-interviews/

I haven't read or heard any recent interviews with him. Anyone got any links?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #390 on: June 22, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
Man, the footage from that tour is beyond embarrassing. Queensryche have become a parody of themselves.
I agree, I just can't believe they were the same band that wrote O:M and The Warning :(

Offline T-ski

« Reply #391 on: June 22, 2011, 09:42:22 PM »

here is the one I'm familiar with...

https://guitarinternational.com/2011/06/15/michael-wilton-interview-dedicated-to-chaos/

a complete 180 from what was posted at QR.com
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #392 on: June 22, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »

Yeah.  Basically, he said that the band got together and came up with some cool ideas for the new album, and Tate basically shot them down and just did what he wanted to do (which is why you'd be hard pressed to find a Wilton riff or solo on the new album).  The a few days later, he recanted what he said (no doubt because he was told to, "or else").

Original:  https://www.guitarworld.com/interview-michael-wilton-queensr-che#slide-0

What was the writing process like for this record? Did you come to the band with ideas or demos that you'd been working on, or did you work on them together in the studio?

It’s kind of through the mail.

When you began the album, did you have a concept in mind or certain ideas you wanted to accomplish, or do the ideas that come out when you write dictate the direction of the album?

We had a couple of different ideas, and then the lead singer kind of changed the direction.

Retraction:  https://www.queensryche.com/2011/06/22/wilton-responds-to-recent-interviews/

Wilton Responds to Recent Interviews
From Whip's Facebook page and linked to www.queensryche.com
Got this from Whips Facebook page and link to www.queensryche.com

In reading the responses to my recent interviews I feel I would like to clear up what I believe to be a misunderstanding of a few statements I have made.
Queensryche has been a band for 30 years and we all have a great working relationship. I wouldn’t have it any other way. If I have my way, we will be making records and touring for years to come.
Dedicated to Chaos is the next chapter in the Queensryche world and I stand behind our effort 100%. There were no other songs that were scrapped or other directions turned down. We all got together and made music and Dedicated to Chaos was the result. It’s a hard rock collection that I believe really shows the bands diversity while still sticking to our Rock roots.

Thanks for all your support over the years for Queensryche and I hope to see everyone out on
the road this summer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dongringo

« Reply #393 on: June 23, 2011, 12:04:34 AM »
Thanks for the links guys. Pretty much what I thought. I mean, everyone know GT is the MP of Queensryche. Sometimes I wonder how these dynamics end up taking root in bands. It's almost as if the biggest ego wins and the rest turn into followers with little to no influence, varying degrees depending on the band member. I'm glad Whip said what he originally said. But he should have manned up and stuck to his guns...imo. But of course that could have caused more of a rift, something I'm sure he doesn't want to deal with starting another major tour. Oh well, whatever. I guess, like he says about the Cabaret, "It is what it is."
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: June 23, 2011, 12:05:29 AM »
This is beyond disappointing. Speaking as a fan, seeing all this unfold is actually heartbreaking. I feel so bad for Wilton...
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #395 on: June 23, 2011, 12:07:22 AM »
This is beyond disappointing. Speaking as a fan, seeing all this unfold is actually heartbreaking. I feel so bad for Wilton...

I felt the same about Myung. Glad that's all over with.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:11 AM »
Wut.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #397 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
Wilton and Queensryche =/= Myung and Dream Theater
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #398 on: June 23, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
In a dramatic turn of events an acquaintance of mine won this.... https://www.queensryche.com/2011/05/30/all-access-with-queensryche/

I didn't even know he was a fan of the band till he told us about it. Cool enough for him I suppose. Sounds like a very interesting trip regardless of the bands/music current state.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #399 on: June 23, 2011, 12:47:34 AM »
That is pretty cool :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: June 23, 2011, 04:40:15 AM »
Wow, Tate is really running this band into the ground.  He must have flipped when he saw that interview.  :lol

You know, if Wilton and the Ryche parted ways sometime in the near future, I wouldn't at all be surpised.  He obviously isn't very happy and Tate and his management just give him the whip.  At this stage, I'd rather hear some Wilton side project over Queensryche, espeically the way they are heading.  This is coming from someone who has supported them over the last ten years of their career.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #401 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »
In a dramatic turn of events an acquaintance of mine won this.... https://www.queensryche.com/2011/05/30/all-access-with-queensryche/

I didn't even know he was a fan of the band till he told us about it. Cool enough for him I suppose. Sounds like a very interesting trip regardless of the bands/music current state.

Wow, that is indeed very cool that he will be traveling with the band. What's even better is that he may pass info on to you, in which you can pass on info about the dynamics within the band to us.  ;)  :lol
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline dongringo

« Reply #402 on: June 23, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »
Wow, Tate is really running this band into the ground.  He must have flipped when he saw that interview.  :lol

You know, if Wilton and the Ryche parted ways sometime in the near future, I wouldn't at all be surpised.  He obviously isn't very happy and Tate and his management just give him the whip.  At this stage, I'd rather hear some Wilton side project over Queensryche, espeically the way they are heading.  This is coming from someone who has supported them over the last ten years of their career.

As you know, I've supported the band over the last 10 years as well, and this also puts a bad taste in my mouth. But I wonder...if this album doesn't catch on, especially with their diehard fanbase, and it probably won't, that may spark a turn back in time so to speak. Either that or it will break them. Depends on Geoff's ego I suppose.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #403 on: June 23, 2011, 08:48:48 AM »
Tate and his management just give him the whip

I see what you did there.  :lol

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: June 23, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »

As you know, I've supported the band over the last 10 years as well, and this also puts a bad taste in my mouth. But I wonder...if this album doesn't catch on, especially with their diehard fanbase, and it probably won't, that may spark a turn back in time so to speak. Either that or it will break them. Depends on Geoff's ego I suppose.

Call me a cynic, but I'd imagine them breaking up before making another album on the same level as the first five. They're so far down the road now that there's really no turning back.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: June 23, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
I know I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I don't think Tate has ever really had a great voice. Even in his glory days, he always sounded a bit phoney to me.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: June 23, 2011, 10:14:58 AM »
He's never been one of my favorite singers. To be honest, I don't think he's ever been "spectacular" as a vocalist. His voice just fits the band well.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #407 on: June 23, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »

I have to say I don't feel sorry for him at all. He and Edbass should man up and either put their point of view across or leave. They seem the two who are unhappy about things judging by Ed's previous apology for the album. I guess they are just employees these days, working for the man but hating their job.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: June 23, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
I know I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I don't think Tate has ever really had a great voice. Even in his glory days, he always sounded a bit phoney to me.
What do you mean by "phoney?"

Offline stryker

« Reply #409 on: June 23, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
Maybe Eddie and Michael should join back up with Chris and find a new lead singer.   :metal  Unless the falling out with Chris involved them too, but I always thought it was butting heads with Geoff that Chris left.  If I'm wrong I apologize!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: June 23, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »

Call me a cynic, but I'd imagine them breaking up before making another album on the same level as the first five. They're so far down the road now that there's really no turning back.

I agree.  I don't see them going back to metal of any form.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #411 on: June 23, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »

But the last two studio albums were metal. Why wouldn't they make another one? Unless Geoff is done with metal that is, but I doubt that's the case as they will still be playing their metal stuff on tour.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline dongringo

« Reply #412 on: June 23, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »
I have to say I don't feel sorry for him at all. He and Edbass should man up and either put their point of view across or leave. They seem the two who are unhappy about things judging by Ed's previous apology for the album. I guess they are just employees these days, working for the man but hating their job.

This is the way I see it as well. What kind of contract did they sign that took away their input? Or is Geoff so OCD controlling that they just gave in?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #413 on: June 23, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
Go easy on Tate. After all, he's a hotspot junkie with a loaded gun. He's livin' on the EDGE man. EXTREME surfing to the wicked awesome max. Look out, he'll p0wn you with his mega ultra laptop, man.

Nope. No matter how cheesy I make this post, I simply don't have the adjectives to compete with the utter shit masquerading as Queensryche lyrics these days. These guys died after Promised Land. I don't even know who they are anymore.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline dongringo

« Reply #414 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:16 PM »
I agree they died with Promised Land, but were resurrected with OM2 and AS with outside help. I really don't mind a band changing directions musically, challenging themselves, or just doing something different because they want to. But when a band doesn't write their own music, or one or two members take control of everything, it will take its toll. Still curious to hear the whole album though. I'm sure it will have it's moments. Not expecting a lot of distortion though.  :lol

As far as Hot Spot Junkie, Journey wrote a song about the exact same thing on their new album with similar cheesy lyrics (Human Feel) and nobody is saying anything about it. But I guess it's because it's Journey, who aren't known for writing anything too deep. Just an observation.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:05:47 PM by dongringo »
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: June 24, 2011, 06:49:29 AM »
Journey are an AOR band.  With melodic/AOR bands, lyrical content is always pretty simplistic and often cheesy, it just comes with the music.  Plus Journey were a band writing a lot of songs about love, positive spirit, doing your best, and all that comes with it.  Journey were never really known for their thought provoking lyrics, it's their sound, melodies, Perry's voice and sometimes, the occasional positive lyric.

Queensryche did stuff like RFO, Empire and Operation Mindcrime where they wrote some amazing, deep lyrics and addressed some heavy political issues.  Those lyrics to the new song is just embarrasing, and looking at those lyrics compared to the Journey ones, Journey's are excellent in comparison.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #416 on: June 24, 2011, 07:41:01 AM »
I wonder who actually wrote the lyrics to Hot Spot Junkie. When Geoff says it was written for headphones on the go he wasn't joking. Nothing thought provoking about those lyrics at all. When I first read that it was a headphone album, I was thinking about my expensive headphone setup at home where I have listening sessions and really enjoy hearing everything in the music. Unfortunately, that's not what he was referring to. He was referring to walking around with a cheapo ipod and cheapo ibuds. Well, that just sucks.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
But that's exactly indicative of what's been wrong with Queensryche for so long. It seems that they (especially GT) keeps trying to figure out what's "now." Like, "Hey, people listen to music on the subway to work - let's make an album that will fit THAT!" As if trying to create a mood to fit the populations listening environment is going to land them a hit. Bringing in writers to "capture" the Queensryche sound. They ARE Queensryche - they don't know or can't capture how THEY THEMSELVES sound???!!!!

The way they keep overcalculating and scheming, trying to figure out how to make and market a hit album not only smacks of desperation and commercialism (the latter not necessarily an evil) makes me so sad for them. They are completely on the outside looking in at this point - looking in on the music business, their fanbase, and apparently even themselves. They have no artistic vision beyond making an album that will appeal to someone. Who should it appeal to? Not their old fanbase - we're exasperated with them. Not a new fanbase - no one outside of the Empire era fans even knows or remembers who they are. Not the radio - despite their best efforts, they can't land a hit because most of what they do is forced and artificial. It would seem to me that the obvious solution is to simply make an album for themselves - one that represents who they truly are, reflects their own musical taste, and is an honest artistic expression of a band that at this point should be mature and confident enough in themselves to just do what comes naturally and not worry about the rest. Instead, for the last 10 years they've come off like a balding middle-aged guy in a convertible listening to Lady Gaga and cruising college frat houses for chicks. It's hard to watch. I think they've so completely lost track of who they are and what made them great, that they don't even know how to get back there.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #418 on: June 24, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
That's why I don't get the "they change their sound" argument. It's not them changing the sound, it's whoever is writing their music. If they got together and jammed out an album together it might sound like QR, you never know. Not gonna happen I know, as they don't seem to get on. Michael Wilton can write great riffs, at least once upon a time- I don't get it. Unless Tate wants the publishing for himself and pays the outside writers less than MW would get.
Maybe MP thought he was in QR.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »
It would seem to me that the obvious solution is to simply make an album for themselves - one that represents who they truly are, reflects their own musical taste, and is an honest artistic expression of a band that at this point should be mature and confident enough in themselves to just do what comes naturally and not worry about the rest.

Emphasis on "obvious."  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )