Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 696228 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3815 on: July 11, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
Sounds to me like someone is extremely biased...

Biased AND ignoring facts.  :lol 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3816 on: July 11, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »
I love drama!!!
But lets face it QR is GARBAGE without Tate 

And they were garbage WITH Tate for well over a decade before kicking ass to the curb.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3817 on: July 11, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »
I love drama!!!

And they were garbage WITH Tate for well over a decade before kicking ass to the curb.

Not sure how anyone can call The Verdict "garbage".    I rather like it.  I can understand the criticism that it fails to capture former glories, and for that reason might not meet many people's expectations.   But the album itself is rather good....and EASILY the best thing they've done since PL.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3818 on: July 11, 2019, 06:23:14 PM »
me?  I just simply dont find anything interesting in the QR Tribute band  .. I dont ever feel its QR.

I hear ya, man.

BUT..

I actually like the three Todd Era albums. I know it's not QR. But what was QR anyway? They started out legendary, and self imploded in both personnel, quality, anything identifiable to the 80's. To me, they were done after Empire. Many others choose Promised Land as the last decent thing they did.

I'd easily take the 3 Todd Era albums over the 6-8 albums that came before them.

EPICVIEW, I think you're old enough to remember the Tony Martin Era of Black Sabbath. I remember being fucking insulted as a fan that they were calling this Black Sabbath. Do they think I am that fucking stupid? So you know what I did? I ignored them completely. They played in Boston a number of times, and I skipped every show. Fuck them. Except come to find out, there was a ton of great tunes on those albums, plus Cozy Powell.

If you have truly listened to the Todd Era albums with an open mind and you don't like them, great. But I wouldn't hold the name on the album against the music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3819 on: July 11, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
You know what REALLY wasn't QR?   Dedicated to Chaos....

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3820 on: July 11, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
I find it interesting that we're even talking about the band dropping the ball here though.  Maybe the band just doesn't want to have anything to do with him.  Maybe they didn't like being spit on.  And even though some fans might want to see a reunion, I don't think them refusing is them dropping the ball.  Especially given the things he's been saying in interviews - maybe it's seemed to some that he's totally changed but perhaps now his true colors are surfacing again?  Personally, I'll have more respect for them if they don't work with him again.  If the money is just too good to pass up, so be it, I get it.

Bolded part is how I feel.

Tate is behaving like shit and the band (maybe) refusing to do something with him is not dropping the ball but normal human behaviour.

Nobody's excusing Tate's behavior.  Money makes people do things that they might not ordinarily do.  Look at all of the bands throughout history - the acrimony in Fleetwood Mac - people are in and out of that band all the time.  People break up, make up, continue artistic partnerships and so on because they're being paid well to do it.  By the time Motley Crue ended, some of those guys didn't get along on a personal level, but they put their shit aside for 2 hours a night so they could play shows. 

That's what we're saying.  Tate and the band don't have to be best friends to work together again, especially if it's just a tour.  In this instance, I believe that the band probably turned down an offer to reunite with Geoff.  But if there is public interest and the offers get better and better, maybe they won't be so quick to dismiss the idea. 

You could well be right about them considering better offers.  However - and I don't think you or anyone else (besides fanboy) is excusing his behavior - I still just don't find the band to be lacking in any way if they choose not to do this.  Sure, they could "put their shit aside."  But if they don't... instead of somehow suggesting that they've dropped the ball, or perhaps are being petty by letting personal issues ruin this great reunion opportunity, I'll still have more respect for them if they walk away, stand behind Todd, etc.  And I don't mean to suggest that everyone in QR has behaved like an angel the whole time - I have no idea what went on behind the scenes.  But I do know what Tate's chosen to say in interviews, I've seen that video from Brazil, and I certainly don't blame them for not wanting to deal with him.

Personally, I think the band dropped the ball a long time ago when they decided to primarily play these stupid fly-in gigs and not reinvent themselves as a progressive/metal band again.  They went all-in on nostalgia and it took them 7 years to decide to play a set featuring mostly new material with Todd.  It's not what I wanted from them...I figured the nostalgia factor was fueled by Tate's wife managing them, but it continued on after they were gone.
No argument there.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3821 on: July 12, 2019, 11:51:17 AM »
I love drama!!!

Not sure how anyone can call The Verdict "garbage".    I rather like it.  I can understand the criticism that it fails to capture former glories, and for that reason might not meet many people's expectations.   But the album itself is rather good....and EASILY the best thing they've done since PL.

The Verdict has grown on me over time and I like most of it, but still not as good as Condition Human.  Definitely not garbage. TL has an awesome voice and I don't consider them a tribute band either.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3822 on: July 12, 2019, 12:06:16 PM »
You could well be right about them considering better offers.  However - and I don't think you or anyone else (besides fanboy) is excusing his behavior - I still just don't find the band to be lacking in any way if they choose not to do this.  Sure, they could "put their shit aside."  But if they don't... instead of somehow suggesting that they've dropped the ball, or perhaps are being petty by letting personal issues ruin this great reunion opportunity, I'll still have more respect for them if they walk away, stand behind Todd, etc.  And I don't mean to suggest that everyone in QR has behaved like an angel the whole time - I have no idea what went on behind the scenes.  But I do know what Tate's chosen to say in interviews, I've seen that video from Brazil, and I certainly don't blame them for not wanting to deal with him.

I agree.  I respect them for finally standing behind Todd and his albums - playing a set full of those songs that he wrote.  So I have no problem with them likely turning down an offer to reunite, even live.

Personally, though, I'd like to see them reunite with Geoff, simply because I've let all of that drama go.  It's really sad to see fans continually rehash the same old, tired drama, time and time again, taking things to the Matt.  Sessions like these just don't serve any purpose several years down the road and it's just time to move on.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
R
« Reply #3823 on: July 14, 2019, 07:24:36 PM »

Its  Rock and Roll, There are no real facts. LOL   to me the only fact is it became dysfunctional, The music is all subjective... compared to DT  to me QR is not about musicianship and I have no interest in the poor playing of Wilton and who ever.  The only member was Tate after Chris. QR had artistry and that was all Tate.  The NU QR  is just cut and paste stuff and simply has nothing in common with to me any QR w Tate stuff.  I enjoyed all their CDs .   I also to stay on topic have no interest in a reunion and hope Tate doesnt do it. have a nice nite
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3824 on: July 14, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »

of course I remember brother. and I agree with your post,  !!

As far as NU QR ,  I dont like it all and it has the weird forced contrived feel and the songs are clunkers and dont resonate at all with me , I get nothing from it and the shows are god awful now,
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3825 on: July 14, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »

actually That CD has the most band input in many ways and I enjoyed the CD, Im old enough to remember many QR albums like Promised land get no love till many years later after that amazing show.  The CD were to be concept for the tour be themed on as they "evolved"    its a shame I think they should have retired but they all needed the money for various reasons

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3826 on: July 14, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
Promised Land the show   :tup
Promised Land the album  :tdwn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3827 on: July 14, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
I love drama!!!

The Verdict has grown on me over time and I like most of it, but still not as good as Condition Human.  Definitely not garbage. TL has an awesome voice and I don't consider them a tribute band either.

I personally do NOT like his voice at all   but thats subjective and I find his stage show horrid and pure amateur  they all stink on stage now.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3828 on: July 14, 2019, 07:38:05 PM »
Promised Land the show   :tup
Promised Land the album  :tdwn

Yea ,,, it was a benchmark tour.  Tate owned the planet and Chris top form

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3829 on: July 14, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »
Out here, the show was outdoors on a hot July night. It was amazing. I consider Promised Land a really weak album, but the songs really came alive on stage. Especially Out Of Mind.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3830 on: July 15, 2019, 08:42:27 AM »
Out here, the show was outdoors on a hot July night. It was amazing. I consider Promised Land a really weak album, but the songs really came alive on stage. Especially Out Of Mind.

I saw 3 shows on that tour... out of mind was spine tingling good 

you nailed it bro ,,old QR on any tour was MAGIC,, you knew magic was gonna happen and thats gone without Tate

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3831 on: July 15, 2019, 08:50:00 AM »

I agree.  I respect them for finally standing behind Todd and his albums - playing a set full of those songs that he wrote.  So I have no problem with them likely turning down an offer to reunite, even live.

Personally, though, I'd like to see them reunite with Geoff, simply because I've let all of that drama go.  It's really sad to see fans continually rehash the same old, tired drama, time and time again, taking things to the Matt.  Sessions like these just don't serve any purpose several years down the road and it's just time to move on.

I believe there is zero chance of a reunion. Tate does not need Jackson or Wilton, and Chris has no interest and Scott is far from ready to tour .  Tate is articulate and knows its fun subject to banter as he readies for his Empire tour, and to me Tates band captures the feel good enough live to satisfy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3832 on: July 15, 2019, 09:39:06 AM »

Its  Rock and Roll, There are no real facts.

Right...because when the facts don't line up with your narrative, it's a lot easier to ignore them and pretend there aren't any facts?  I gotcha.  ;) 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3833 on: July 15, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »

Its  Rock and Roll, There are no real facts.

Right...because when the facts don't line up with your narrative, it's a lot easier to ignore them and pretend there aren't any facts?  I gotcha.  ;)

LOL  the facts are not known.. many of us have no idea what truly happened and the run up to the split. 
what facts am I missing?  I have a feeling I will know of much greater "unknown" facts . but I do chuckle when the "band" is thrown flowers as "innocent" as Tate is painted as " a dictator"  or worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3834 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »
LOL  the facts are not known.. 

Yes, many of them are.  Do some reading and critical thinking.

but I do chuckle when the "band" is thrown flowers as "innocent" as Tate is painted as " a dictator"  or worse.

Yeah, I would too.  Thankfully, that doesn't really happen much here on this site.

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #3835 on: July 15, 2019, 10:33:25 AM »
Tate is partly responsible for painting him like a villain.
His recent stab at Rockenfield, while also admitting that they haven't communicated in years??? Yes, very classy and innocent stuff.

And the story about the process behind the Sweet Oblivion project? Very classy as well.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3836 on: July 15, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
LOL  the facts are not known.. 

Yes, many of them are.  Do some reading and critical thinking.

but I do chuckle when the "band" is thrown flowers as "innocent" as Tate is painted as " a dictator"  or worse.

Yeah, I would too.  Thankfully, that doesn't really happen much here on this site.

what facts are you debating ?  we all have read whats been out there in the fanzines etc.  but thats only what each side wanted to have be out there.
Im tired of the "spitting " canard and how its all "big bad Geoffs" fault , like he just woke up one day and decided to "attack' his old bandmates and even if he did so what, most bands have heated horrible fights and nobody hears of it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:02:48 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3837 on: July 15, 2019, 01:20:34 PM »
Paging Samsara. Samsara to the front please. There is a customer who needs your assistance. Thank you.

:biggrin:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3838 on: July 15, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
Geoff? Is that you?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3839 on: July 15, 2019, 01:43:02 PM »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3840 on: July 15, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
Tate is partly responsible for painting him like a villain.
His recent stab at Rockenfield, while also admitting that they haven't communicated in years??? Yes, very classy and innocent stuff.

And the story about the process behind the Sweet Oblivion project? Very classy as well.

oh the horror  LOL   a "major rockstar" with an attitude ???  how can it be? 
the band has major major major blood on their hands for how they treated Geoff after Wilton"found" Latorre.
Its rock and roll "..classy is not something that concerns me,,, and in reality many of us know Geoff is a very good person and ive only witnessed him being nice .. my eyes dont lie.  I cant say that about 2 of the guys in the band that really gave nothing to the fans .
I also dont think any casual fan went to see "the bass player"  LOL

Geoff is also responsible for covering for many of deficiencies and and horrible laziness and selfishness of some of his bandmates and Geoff allowed them "time off" to save their marriages, have kids, raise the kids etc to only be backstabbed , Geoff did most of the work in the band and many years allowed hsi bandmates to take time off as he worked .  lets face it none of them are "writers" post Chris and Geoffs voice was the only element the record co wanted to sell, and the record was only a vehicle since Tribe to base a tour on, the record was never going to make them money.  Latorre is now doing most of the work, I know that makes Geoff chuckle. and yes Geoffs wife and for that matter Scotts ex wife are too involved in the underpinning of the issues,

what gets me is how many bands are awful to their fans, the guys are scumbags are worse and nobody knows a thing or cares but for some reason Geoff gets a very raw deal and he gave up so much to carry them after Chris left to only be backstabbed, many dont like that truth . 

( your avatar of Axl is kind a funny in regards to a guy much like Tate as hes a nice guy but very hated also)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:01:09 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #3841 on: July 15, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »
Now I'm curious what you're doing in the Queensr˙che thread, since you're not a Queensr˙che fan, but rather a Geoff Tate fan.
You're just looking to stir up shit? :corn

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3842 on: July 15, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »
Now I'm curious what you're doing in the Queensr˙che thread, since you're not a Queensr˙che fan, but rather a Geoff Tate fan.
You're just looking to stir up shit? :corn

I apologize, no not trying to stir up anything, if Im in the wrong thread I apologize and it can be move by the mod etc. to me its one big subject. I tend to ramble
yes today Id only see Geoff as without his voice the songs to me dont resonate at all and at his age like any aging rocker Im fine with his vocals
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:13:37 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3843 on: July 15, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »
Trust me....Geoff is honestly one of those truly rare grade A dickweeds. I’ve met him in person when he didn’t have his game face on, and he was the most classless dirtbag you could imagine. And all I did was just ask “Are you Geoff Tate?” Michael had to step in to save the day (he was awesome) but you could tell they had a routine that kept him away from fans.

As a kid, I loved calling in and talking to local (Seattle) radio personalities in their down time. I asked a few of them who the nicest and nastiest musicians they had ever met. Nicest varied a lot...but Geoff being a dick was very common theme. One DJ even made a point of saying he met them when the EP broke locally and said “most of the guys are really nice, but that lead singer had to be the biggest asshole I’ve ever met in my life.”

This guy is a bit more than just your average, run of the mill, egotistical rock star. He’s another level of jerk.  Not to mention his shameful public behavior on stage. Insulting audiences, spitting on Scott the whole show.

Don’t get me wrong, from 82-92ish, the guy was the single greatest vocalist in the history of rock/metal. He was untouchable. Not even Halford or Dickinson came close IMO. But he failed to take care of his instrument, and now I consider him to be as poor as Fish in his modern performances. I would be more forgiving of this gross drop in quality if he were even a halfway decent human being...but he’s getting exactly what he deserves.

Dutchess by Genesis comes to mind. “And then there was the time that [he] performed/ When nobody called for more/ And soon every time [he] stepped into the light/ they really let [him] know the score.”

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3844 on: July 15, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »
You had me until Genesis. :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3845 on: July 15, 2019, 09:04:59 PM »
Trust me....Geoff is honestly one of those truly rare grade A dickweeds. I’ve met him in person when he didn’t have his game face on, and he was the most classless dirtbag you could imagine. And all I did was just ask “Are you Geoff Tate?” Michael had to step in to save the day (he was awesome) but you could tell they had a routine that kept him away from fans.

As a kid, I loved calling in and talking to local (Seattle) radio personalities in their down time. I asked a few of them who the nicest and nastiest musicians they had ever met. Nicest varied a lot...but Geoff being a dick was very common theme. One DJ even made a point of saying he met them when the EP broke locally and said “most of the guys are really nice, but that lead singer had to be the biggest asshole I’ve ever met in my life.”

This guy is a bit more than just your average, run of the mill, egotistical rock star. He’s another level of jerk.  Not to mention his shameful public behavior on stage. Insulting audiences, spitting on Scott the whole show.

Don’t get me wrong, from 82-92ish, the guy was the single greatest vocalist in the history of rock/metal. He was untouchable. Not even Halford or Dickinson came close IMO. But he failed to take care of his instrument, and now I consider him to be as poor as Fish in his modern performances. I would be more forgiving of this gross drop in quality if he were even a halfway decent human being...but he’s getting exactly what he deserves.

Dutchess by Genesis comes to mind. “And then there was the time that [he] performed/ When nobody called for more/ And soon every time [he] stepped into the light/ they really let [him] know the score.”

I gotta say Ive never seen that one time ...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:35:41 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3846 on: July 15, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »
As a kid, I loved calling in and talking to local (Seattle) radio personalities in their down time.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you talk to? I met Steve Slaton a couple times. Even won a contest and did an hour guest spot on 102.5 once.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3847 on: July 15, 2019, 10:19:16 PM »
As a kid, I loved calling in and talking to local (Seattle) radio personalities in their down time.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you talk to? I met Steve Slaton a couple times. Even won a contest and did an hour guest spot on 102.5 once.

Steve Slaton was definitely one of them. In fact, I remember it was SS who gave me an advance copy of Grace Under Pressure before it came out.

But I confess that after 30+ years, I do not remember the exact person  who gave me the quote I mentioned. I only remember that it was someone who worked at KZOK when they first played QotR and it got so much feedback that they invited the band to the studio.

....so Geoff was a scumbag before he even found fame.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3848 on: July 15, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »

I ootta say Ive never seen that one time ...

Well....you obviously haven't been paying too close attention.  The insulting of audiences during one of their later shows with Geoff was all over the Internet when it happened, and the spitting on Scott for an entire show after they were in an altercation backstage was also all over YouTube (and publicly released court documents that were linked to various music forums) around the time of the breakup.

His above average level of egotistical crap is well documented.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3849 on: July 15, 2019, 11:08:14 PM »
Just to add to that, I was at Radio City Music Hall on April 1st 2006 at the concert that was filmed for the score DVD. I had passes to the after-show party and was hanging out in the crowd around Mike Portnoy when he admitted to everybody there that Geoff Tate was one of the biggest jerks he had ever met in his entire life. (I'm paraphrasing, but anyone who was there would back me up) The thing was, I was the only one there who was not in the least bit shocked. I am from Seattle, I had talked to several local personalities, and I had met Geoff personally. To me, Mike was only confirming what I had already known for years.

EDIT -  in reading that back, that came across a little cockier than I wanted it to. It’s just that you came in here and irritated me with your know it all attitude. I lashed out and in retrospect I feel kind of bad about it. But I do have some experience with this man and it’s not without basis.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:34:38 PM by jammindude »