Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 696178 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3710 on: March 15, 2019, 08:27:35 AM »
I am pretty sure it is mostly on him that they are doing the shorter sets.  They did much longer ones when they started with Todd, and as Samsara said, he was VERY inconsistent and struggled quite a bit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3711 on: March 15, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »
I am pretty sure it is mostly on him that they are doing the shorter sets.  They did much longer ones when they started with Todd, and as Samsara said, he was VERY inconsistent and struggled quite a bit.

Good luck to anyone complaining.  You can all go out and sing like Todd does and see if your voice holds up.  No way in hell any of us could.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3712 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »

Good luck to anyone complaining.  You can all go out and sing like Todd does and see if your voice holds up.  No way in hell any of us could.

I absolutely cannot stand this type of response.  Yes, not all of us are singers and can do what Todd does.  Massive respect to him for having that voice.  I certainly couldn't do it, and hearing him sing those old songs in 2013 was completely awesome.  But I'm not being paid to do it every night, am I?  Continuing Education is a part of many professional careers, and I'm required by law to keep my licenses up to date by educating myself every year.  I don't see why a singer shouldn't continually work to develop their voice, despite being successful already.  You can only get better, right?

Todd is paid to be the singer in Queensryche.  He's loved by fans for singing those songs, and based on the last few years, fans want to hear MORE songs every night.  The band could easily satisfy fans by playing longer shows, making room for more older and newer songs.  And now they're stuck with this set length - it is glaringly obvious that the sets started getting smaller AFTER Todd joined.

Todd himself claimed in an interview that he met with a vocal coach and the coach told him "hey, I have no advice for you, if your technique works for you, keep doing it."  So I doubt Todd even thinks about working on his stamina, he believes he's just fine, and was "instructed" by someone that he was fine.  After having been through a very contentious split with Geoff, the band probably doesn't want to rock the boat with Todd either by asking more of him each night.

It really says something when popular vocalists with more extreme vocal styles still work with vocal coaches to continually stay in shape and modify their technique to ensure that they can still deliver what is required of them.  But for Todd to rest on his laurels and say "oh, a coach told me I don't need to do anything" and be the primary reason for holding his band back from playing longer shows?  That's total lead-singer ego bullshit to me, and the losers in that situation are the fans that pay for a great show and only get 70-90 minutes from a headlining band. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3713 on: March 15, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
Also, if we go down the "You can't do it" route, everyone who never directed a movie shouldn't complain about movies.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3714 on: March 15, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »
I hate your response and here's why.  Look at any singer who gets up in age.  Even the great Paul Stanley cannot hit the notes he used to.  Rush added more instrumentals and detuned to help Geddy.  This is a fact of life.  Your vocal chords cannot do what you did in your youth.  Add the fact that Geoff's style of singing and what Todd is continuing does massage damage to vocal chords.

Change your expectations.  It's on you.  The older singers get, the more they have to baby their vocal chords.

Also, if we go down the "You can't do it" route, everyone who never directed a movie shouldn't complain about movies.

You think you would be able to run like you did in your 20's in your 50's?  Not even close.  Even the great marathon runners know that.  Why do music fans not understand this?  It's not the art, it's the physicality. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3715 on: March 15, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »
I hate your response and here's why.  Look at any singer who gets up in age.  Even the great Paul Stanley cannot hit the notes he used to.  Rush added more instrumentals and detuned to help Geddy.  This is a fact of life.  Your vocal chords cannot do what you did in your youth.  Add the fact that Geoff's style of singing and what Todd is continuing does massage damage to vocal chords.

Change your expectations.  It's on you.  The older singers get, the more they have to baby their vocal chords. 

It's not on the fans.  It's on the band to help Todd.  When Todd joined, it was constant bragging from both him and the band about his vocal abilities and that they didn't have to tune down like they did with Geoff.  That's what they've done since, and their sets keep getting shorter.  This year is the shortest by far (the Condition Human tour averaged 15-18 songs).  Last night, Fates Warning got more time, but QR still played the same 15 songs.

So rather than the band adjusting their music to help Todd (like you are demonstrating that Rush did, which allowed them to continue to play 2-3 hour shows for their fans), they're cutting short the show and shortchanging fans. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3716 on: March 15, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
I think this is a no-win situation for QR. If they play longer shows, Todd's voice will probably give out -> fans complain. If they play shorter sets -> fans complain. If they downtune -> fans complain that it doesn't sound like the originial. So what are they gonna do?

And just because a vocal teacher told Tood that he can't help him doesn't mean that he's not working on his stamina. I obviously don't knowif he does, but I think he would if he could. But then he's not the youngest anymore and I don't know if he can easily make his voice last two hours or more.

Todd is paid to be the singer in Queensryche. 

So was Tate and the last years in QR he was terrible live and lazy in the studio. And even if he recently improved like some said, he can't bring what he was able to some 25 years ago.

I'm not saying that playing 80-90 minutes is cool, but I think there's a (imo) valid reason why they are doing it and therefore can live with it. If it was just out of lazyness on the other hand that would be a real shame.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3717 on: March 15, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »

I absolutely cannot stand this type of response.  Yes, not all of us are singers and can do what Todd does.  Massive respect to him for having that voice.  I certainly couldn't do it, and hearing him sing those old songs in 2013 was completely awesome.  But I'm not being paid to do it every night, am I?  Continuing Education is a part of many professional careers, and I'm required by law to keep my licenses up to date by educating myself every year.  I don't see why a singer shouldn't continually work to develop their voice, despite being successful already.  You can only get better, right?

Todd is paid to be the singer in Queensryche.  He's loved by fans for singing those songs, and based on the last few years, fans want to hear MORE songs every night.  The band could easily satisfy fans by playing longer shows, making room for more older and newer songs.  And now they're stuck with this set length - it is glaringly obvious that the sets started getting smaller AFTER Todd joined.

This is exactly, 100% spot-on.  The band is putting out a product.  If that product is sub-par when compared to what similar bands are doing, the band has no one to blame but themselves if they do not work HARD to find a way to bring their product up to standards, and that is true of each and every member of the band. 

Yes, people have individual limitations.  When Rick Allen lost an arm, that severely limited him as a drummer, and by extension, limited Def Leppard as a band.  He worked his butt off for years to find a work-around.  He is still limited, and everybody knows it.  But he got to a point where he could to a reasonable job, and the band could continue performing at a quality level with him, and a lot of the fans embraced it.  Why?  Because Rick and the band put in the work to still deliver a quality product, even if the new limitations may have caused the product to now be somewhat different.

If Todd's vocal limitations are causing the band to deliver sub-standard set time for the money being charged, that is 100% on Todd and the band to fix.  If they choose not to, that's fine.  But they have no one to blame if their ticket sales drop and they get criticized by their fans and lose fans as a result.

Todd himself claimed in an interview that he met with a vocal coach and the coach told him "hey, I have no advice for you, if your technique works for you, keep doing it."  So I doubt Todd even thinks about working on his stamina, he believes he's just fine, and was "instructed" by someone that he was fine.

Wow.  That is so irresponsible for a coach to say.  I mean, it's one thing for a coach to say that that particular coach may not have anything more to offer a particular singer.  It's another thing entirely to suggest that nothing more can be offered whatsoever to improve or at least maintain.  (which assumes that Todd's version is accurate and not a misunderstanding of the coach maybe saying the latter and not the former)  And it is even more irresponsible of Todd to take that at face value and not have the drive and self-motivation to seek a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion until he finds someone who can help him improve/maintain.

Joe, you know I have complete respect for you, so please don't take this personally when I say this and am this blunt:  That position is complete garbage.  This isn't about Todd just being older.  Bruce Dickinson has a couple of decades on LaTorre, and look at the mammoth set times Maiden consistently offers their fans.  It isn't about babying one's voice.  Yes, a singer needs to take care of his/her instrument.  That's one of my HUGE peeves with Geoff Tate.  The man had phenomenal talent, and I will praise him all day long for not only his range and power, but also his ability to go out night after night, whether sick or healthy, whether motivated or not, and deliver night after night.  But his abuse of his voice and his neglect and failure to take care of it are inexcusable.  For different reasons, I have the same criticism of LaTorre.  He and the band are selling a product.  And the length of their sets on tour because of his inability to sing a standard length set makes it an inferior product.  And there are LOTS of singers his age or much older who do not find it necessary to so severely cut their set length down and have taken great lengths to find ways to extend the set and deliver for the fans while taking care of their voices.  The things you mention are no excuse whatsoever for Todd and Queensryche to not find ways to do the same.  None whatsoever.  And for that reason, I am completely unapologetic in continuing to insist that, as long as they choose to take that route, I refuse to give them any of my money for it.

It's not on the fans.  It's on the band to help Todd.  When Todd joined, it was constant bragging from both him and the band about his vocal abilities and that they didn't have to tune down like they did with Geoff.  That's what they've done since, and their sets keep getting shorter.  This year is the shortest by far (the Condition Human tour averaged 15-18 songs).  Last night, Fates Warning got more time, but QR still played the same 15 songs.

So rather than the band adjusting their music to help Todd (like you are demonstrating that Rush did, which allowed them to continue to play 2-3 hour shows for their fans), they're cutting short the show and shortchanging fans. 

Bingo.  Grappler nails it again.  If they need to tune some of the harder songs down, that's fine.  If they need to "pad" the set a bit with some less challenging songs to give Todd a break, that's fine.  If they need to take some other liberties to give him a break during the set, that's fine.  Heck, sneak in a couple of covers or "alternate versions" of songs with Eddie or Parker singing, if that's what it takes.  There are tons of options.  Fans understand that.  Fans don't feel ripped off when bands do that.  When a band simply cuts the set down to a length far below what their peers are able to consistently find ways to deliver, a lot of fans do feel cheated and push back on that, and rightly so.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:10:02 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #3718 on: March 15, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
I don't think I've ever been to a show that had a headline set that lasted two hours? Maybe Iron Maiden? Nowadays tour packages give a little more space to the opener, or there are several openers. 13 songs is obviously too short, but 15 is already much better and a step in the right direction imo. If Todd knows he isn't one of the 10% of frontmen who can deliver two hour shows consistently, that's not a knock on him - his voice will be judged very harshly as it is. As he gets a few more years as a touring vocalist (he started after 40, right?) under his belt, he might dare to lengthen the set once he knows what he's comfortable with, or he might not, as he's getting older along with the rest of the guys. If this is truly on him and not on the guys wanting to shake things up.

That's where setlist creativity comes into play. Do a mini acoustic set mid show (like the Tribe tour) to give the vocals a rest. A few extended instrumental sections (as opposed to straight solos). There are subtle ways to keep TLT's vocals preserved while at the same time still delivering a 2-hour set.

You must not go to a lot of shows if you are not seeing two hour-plus headlining sets. The last three concerts I saw prior to Queensryche on this tour - Steven Wilson (Dec 18), The Neal Morse Band (Feb 19), and Y&T (two days before I saw Ryche) ALL were on stage for more than 2 hours. It comes down to a desire to give the fans that kind of a performance. I really don't think Queensryche has it in them.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3719 on: March 15, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »
I don't think I've ever been to a show that had a headline set that lasted two hours? Maybe Iron Maiden? Nowadays tour packages give a little more space to the opener, or there are several openers. 13 songs is obviously too short, but 15 is already much better and a step in the right direction imo. If Todd knows he isn't one of the 10% of frontmen who can deliver two hour shows consistently, that's not a knock on him - his voice will be judged very harshly as it is. As he gets a few more years as a touring vocalist (he started after 40, right?) under his belt, he might dare to lengthen the set once he knows what he's comfortable with, or he might not, as he's getting older along with the rest of the guys. If this is truly on him and not on the guys wanting to shake things up.

That's where setlist creativity comes into play. Do a mini acoustic set mid show (like the Tribe tour) to give the vocals a rest. A few extended instrumental sections (as opposed to straight solos). There are subtle ways to keep TLT's vocals preserved while at the same time still delivering a 2-hour set.
This would've been a cool idea, esp. now with there being 2 acoustic bonus tracks on the limited edition. The acoustic set could also have included the obligatory Silent Lucidity to freshen it up a bit for the diehards who are tired of it.

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #3720 on: March 15, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »
...Bruce Dickinson has a couple of decades on LaTorre, and look at the mammoth set times Maiden consistently offers their fans.  It isn't about babying one's voice.  Yes, a singer needs to take care of his/her instrument....
Just to clarify something here so everyone is on the same page: Bruce Dickinson had serious vocal problems in the 80s and 90s, and he sought out help from a vocal teacher. He dramatically improved his live technique and thus, his performances.
Axl Rose got in touch with his vocal coach before doing the AC/DC stint, and that definitely helped him out.
Glenn Hughes is probably the golden standard of fanatically taking care of one's own voice; that guy is wailing and singing with the range and stamina of a 20-year old.

As great as Tate was, even he sought out a vocal coach back in '83 before Queensrÿche went on tour (he never finished all the sessions though).
Even if someone has a natural singing talent, there is always room for improvement. I'll bet you that you can find a high-profile pro singer, who has never had coach training, who has still learned a trick or two from talking to other singers in the game.
I do find it a bit odd that a vocal coach would tell Todd there was nothing they could do for him, at all. There's always something.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3721 on: March 15, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »
...Bruce Dickinson has a couple of decades on LaTorre, and look at the mammoth set times Maiden consistently offers their fans.  It isn't about babying one's voice.  Yes, a singer needs to take care of his/her instrument....
Just to clarify something here so everyone is on the same page: Bruce Dickinson had serious vocal problems in the 80s and 90s, and he sought out help from a vocal teacher. He dramatically improved his live technique and thus, his performances.
Axl Rose got in touch with his vocal coach before doing the AC/DC stint, and that definitely helped him out.
Glenn Hughes is probably the golden standard of fanatically taking care of one's own voice; that guy is wailing and singing with the range and stamina of a 20-year old.

Exactly.  Those guys did what it took to figure out how to deliver.  And while I personally think there are a lot of reasons I wouldn't go see Axl Rose "sing," one criticism I CANNOT make is the guy failing to at least deliver a long enough set with enough songs to keep fans happy.  Joe mentioned Paul Stanley struggling nowadays.  Again, that isn't the issue.  KISS do not go out and call it a night after a sub-60 minute set either.  Their shows are long, and fans go away happy.  Todd/Queensryche have not put in the work to do the same.  It's that simple.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3722 on: March 15, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »
Hey bosk1, it's all about the conversation.  I love talking music.  I don't want people to think I'm mad at all.  I think someone like Bruce who's in a better financial state can afford a vocal couch.  I saw Maiden last year in from of 18,000 people.  I just saw Queensryche in front of maybe a 1,000 people.  Money is the root of all.  Some band have to survive by playing out and i think the guys in Ryche aren't made of money.

I just lower my expectations knowing that bands not in their prime will do things like this.  I get the dollar side of a fan but in all honesty, I really enjoyed the show and didn't feel cheated by Queensryche,  I did feel cheated that Fates Warning had only a 45 minute set and the opening band took time away from them.  From what I understand, they paid to play and again, that goes to a band that can't afford things like a vocal coach like a Bruce can.   

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #3723 on: March 15, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
Joe mentioned Paul Stanley struggling nowadays.  Again, that isn't the issue.  KISS do not go out and call it a night after a sub-60 minute set either.  Their shows are long, and fans go away happy.  Todd/Queensryche have not put in the work to do the same.  It's that simple.
KISS recently started off their tour with Paul lip-syncing his vocals. 2 hour set or not, that's worse than anything Queensrÿche has ever been accused of. :corn

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3724 on: March 15, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
Joe mentioned Paul Stanley struggling nowadays.  Again, that isn't the issue.  KISS do not go out and call it a night after a sub-60 minute set either.  Their shows are long, and fans go away happy.  Todd/Queensryche have not put in the work to do the same.  It's that simple.
KISS recently started off their tour with Paul lip-syncing his vocals. 2 hour set or not, that's worse than anything Queensrÿche has ever been accused of. :corn

Yup.  Paul has been doing that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3725 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:48 AM »
Hey bosk1, it's all about the conversation.  I love talking music.  I don't want people to think I'm mad at all.

Same.  :tup

I think someone like Bruce who's in a better financial state can afford a vocal couch.  I saw Maiden last year in from of 18,000 people.  I just saw Queensryche in front of maybe a 1,000 people.  Money is the root of all.  Some band have to survive by playing out and i think the guys in Ryche aren't made of money.

I just lower my expectations knowing that bands not in their prime will do things like this.  I get the dollar side of a fan but in all honesty, I really enjoyed the show and didn't feel cheated by Queensryche,  I did feel cheated that Fates Warning had only a 45 minute set and the opening band took time away from them.  From what I understand, they paid to play and again, that goes to a band that can't afford things like a vocal coach like a Bruce can.   

I get what you're saying.  And on the surface, it makes sense.  But here's where I'm going to push back a bit on that:  Yeah, you have to financially cut corners wherever you can if you make your living in music and aren't one of the Metallicas or Iron Maidens of the world.  I get that.  But (1) when it comes to making necessary improvements to your craft that you NEED to maintain an acceptable level of quality, it is foolish and shortsighted to not spend the money.  And (2) although working with a vocal coach can be very expensive, it can also be fairly inexpensive.  You don't have to go with the "Cadillac plan" to see results.  You can go with a "Chevy plan" and still get where you need to go.  In this day and age, there are TONS of talented, knowledgeable people out there, and with the Internet, they aren't hard to find.  And they also aren't hard to meet with since you can now do lessons, consultations, etc. over the Internet with a webcam instead of meeting face to face.  It can be easy AND affordable.  To me, that removes the excuse.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3726 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »
Oh I agree but what do people do that are financial tight?  They cost cut on things they shouldn't.   It's human nature.

I'll pay that bill next month. 
I'll cut the setlist down to save my voice.

If I remember correctly,  Journey had everyone sing a song live to help Augerri (sp?) In the end they had to go to another singer. We'll see about Todd.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3727 on: March 15, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »
A lot of singers struggle to bring it every night, vocal coach or not. Bruce Dickinson is the odd one out there.
Maybe Todd could improve with a vocal coach, maybe he had one and he got better but not good enough for two hours every night?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3728 on: March 15, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »
Maybe it's time for them to down-tune? They did it with GT, and I don't think that there's any shame in dropping a half step. Most listeners won't know the difference in a live setting, anyways. Of course, there will be the musicians in the audience that will, but I'd hope that most of them would understand the circumstances.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #3729 on: March 15, 2019, 01:29:35 PM »
Maybe it's time for them to down-tune? They did it with GT, and I don't think that there's any shame in dropping a half step. Most listeners won't know the difference in a live setting, anyways. Of course, there will be the musicians in the audience that will, but I'd hope that most of them would understand the circumstances.

I know some have complained about that, but I never took issue with bands needing to that in a live setting (Rush being the obvious example). Voices change. Age takes it toll. So stuff like down-tuning to me is an acceptable compromise, especially if a band really wants to give fans the most bang for their buck (like Rush always did). The desire to put on that kind of a show has to be there and thus far it just doesn't feel like the desire is there by the band since TLT took over. They seem to want to do the barest minimum and that is a real shame, especially with such a strong album that is getting a lot of good press and reception from fans (hell, it's reignited my interest in the band).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3730 on: March 15, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »
Yeah, on a case by case basis, it can be fine.  Most of the time, it isn't that noticeable.  And when it is, most of the time, it doesn't negatively impact the song too much.  But there are definitely exceptions.  I remember when I saw Tesla some years ago, and they downtuned a few songs, it was really noticeable.  And one a few songs, such as Edison's Medicine, it made the song overly muddy and sucked the life out of it to the point of making it pointless to even play it.  But, yeah, a lot of the time, it's just fine.  I know that Y&T downtunes a LOT of their stuff nowadays, even though Dave Meniketti was initially pretty resistant to doing it, and it really works for them.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3731 on: March 15, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »
You must not go to a lot of shows if you are not seeing two hour-plus headlining sets. The last three concerts I saw prior to Queensryche on this tour - Steven Wilson (Dec 18), The Neal Morse Band (Feb 19), and Y&T (two days before I saw Ryche) ALL were on stage for more than 2 hours. It comes down to a desire to give the fans that kind of a performance. I really don't think Queensryche has it in them.
You're right, I don't, I moved from one asshole of Europe to another (tours wise) and I mostly see metal bands whose material is notoriously difficult to perform or lesser known bands who put together multi-band tour packages to be able to go out on tour at all. Some people mention that under two hours is substandard, maybe it's substandard for some of you guys. For me, under 90 minutes is substandard. If most of their audience agrees that under two hours is substandard, even though it's more difficult for Todd to perform these songs than for Steven Wilson to perform his songs as a vocalist, then they have some tough choices and setlist restructuring or even downtuning to do.

But if that's true, it's not a vocal limitation, it's just not being vocally exceptional. Vocal coaching is a bit like astrology with fancy jargon in this regard, the only thing that can improve your singing stamina in particular is improving your core strength and doing loads of cardio. A few of my favorite metal singers started doing that about 6-7 years ago and started reaping the benefits just recently, it can be done. But those guys are in their thirties and at the end of the day the voice is a fickle instrument that we don't understand as well as we'd like to think.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3732 on: March 15, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »
For me, under 90 minutes is substandard.

I think that if they were playing 90 minutes, you wouldn't hear much complaining.  But what they are offering is so far short of even that. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3733 on: March 15, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »
It'd be easier to accept if they were playing 75 minutes and Fates was also playing 75 minutes, as a sort of co-headliner.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3734 on: March 15, 2019, 04:20:29 PM »
It'd be easier to accept if they were playing 75 minutes and Fates was also playing 75 minutes, as a sort of co-headliner.

That opening band didn't need to be there. Music didn't even fit.  Money talks when you pay to play.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3735 on: March 15, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »
For me, under 90 minutes is substandard.

I think that if they were playing 90 minutes, you wouldn't hear much complaining.  But what they are offering is so far short of even that.
Yeah, I always criticize bands when they do that. In the past few years it's mostly been casinos and fly-ins for them and now there's this strange (not unnatural, but they have to have some balance in status and I think QR is doing it by having a shorter set, and then there's that other band) tour with FW. If they have a regular bus tour with one local opener and a new label hopeful and still have those 70 minute sets, I'll definitely wonder what the heck is up with that. I'm just reacting to this whole two hour standard. If Dream Theater jumps off a bridge, should all other bands jump off a bridge?  :lol

I kid obviously. But it's very easy to extend a set by 15 minutes even if you don't add songs and if they don't do that I will side eye them a lot. Extended solo spots, banter, hi our new fabulous tour drummer Casey Grillo will play you a two minute solo, some banter, a fun cover song where they all share vocals, acoustic ballad. Hell, Todd can have a drum duel with Casey. Other than that, he can quit smoking, invest in his fitness and see where it takes him, take a risk by lenghtening a set and have some off nights like every other singer, or even just get more inspired. To compare him with Ray Alder since they're tourmates now, people have been knocking on Alder for years in a way that they'll never knock on Todd, the man has lost like half his range and it's always a risk he'll have an off night vocally when you're seeing him, for a variety of factors. But he gives it his all emotionally and on FW's most recent album he connected to the material so much and came up with such good vocal melodies that it knocked ten years off his voice easily.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3736 on: March 16, 2019, 05:58:26 AM »
Maybe it's time for them to down-tune? They did it with GT, and I don't think that there's any shame in dropping a half step. Most listeners won't know the difference in a live setting, anyways.

I didn't notice DT downtuning the Images and Words songs and I know them inside out. My buddy that was with me and is a musician (bass player) immediately recognized it however. And also, I've heard James more or less nailing the songs, so give me a downtuned awesome rendition of Another Day over an original rendition of the song with James struggling immensely any time.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3737 on: March 16, 2019, 06:02:57 AM »
Maybe it's time for them to down-tune? They did it with GT, and I don't think that there's any shame in dropping a half step. Most listeners won't know the difference in a live setting, anyways.

I didn't notice DT downtuning the Images and Words songs and I know them inside out. My buddy that was with me and is a musician (bass player) immediately recognized it however. And also, I've heard James more or less nailing the songs, so give me a downtuned awesome rendition of Another Day over an original rendition of the song with James struggling immensely any time.

This.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #3738 on: March 16, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
Fan filmed video of "Eyes Of A Stranger" at the Worcester Palladium in MA this week, watch to see the surprise at the end.

https://youtu.be/JTfPw9aCMPU
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:34:46 AM by pfillion »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3739 on: March 16, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Fan filmed video of "Eyes Of A Stranger" at the Worcester Palladium in MA this week, watch to surprise at the end.

I know. I was there!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3740 on: March 16, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »
Fan filmed video of "Eyes Of A Stranger" at the Worcester Palladium in MA this week, watch to see the surprise at the end.

What'd I miss? I watched the last couple minutes of the video and didn't see anything exceptionally different other than TLT on a small drum kit next to Casey's. Is that it?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3741 on: March 16, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
I say they play the middle of Empire that will add in a couple more minutes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3742 on: March 16, 2019, 03:56:37 PM »

I don't get it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3743 on: March 16, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »

What'd I miss? I watched the last couple minutes of the video and didn't see anything exceptionally different other than TLT on a small drum kit next to Casey's. Is that it?

Of course is that it. The lead singer doing a drum duet is definitively it. What else could it be?  :D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3744 on: March 16, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »
It was cool seeing Todd play some percussion durring a few tunes.