Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 694766 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3465 on: January 22, 2019, 03:56:30 PM »
Just listened to it, yeah, not bad, probably better than the first song.  Nice dark tones to it, didn't blow me away however.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3466 on: January 22, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »
 :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3467 on: January 23, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
https://www.rockpages.gr/en/interviews/item/9747-geoff-tate?fbclid=IwAR1QxMLa2rJ6q78BLM_Wk0DuXM-r39IrSCG-419MuRkulFHHrpGaWHyYGFA

New interview with Geoff Tate.  One comment of note - he alludes to legal problems between Scott Rockenfeld and the band.  We all know that Scott didn't play on the album, but so far, this is the first and only public comment from anyone remotely associated with Queensryche that mentions legal problems. 

Rockpages.gr: Do you follow Queensr˙che now?

Geoff Tate: No, I haven’t followed them since I left the band really. I know Scott Rockenfield is no longer playing with them and there is some sort of legal problem with him now. But, that’s pretty much all I know.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3468 on: January 23, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
My guess is...his prolonged absence from the band is far from "parental" or "personal" leave. He's gone. And because he's gone, and he was/is a member of Queensryche's ownership (Ed, Mike, Scott), there are a lot of legal entanglements to get through. Obviously, the band doesn't want press about another founding member of the band leaving, as it continues to rip away at their "brand." In addition, if Scott leaves, and wants to cash out, then they need to pay him what he's owed as a principal to make that happen. My guess is, they can't afford to do that, and also finish up paying Tate. Thus, "legal problem."

Further speculation - Wouldn't it be interesting if Scott didn't give up his legal standing with the band? I mean, with Tate saying in that interview that he's touring on Empire for 2020 and all. I imagine if Geoff got Scott to play with him in 2020 on a tour supporting Empire, and the guarantee numbers from promoters for "Queensryche" with Geoff Tate as singer doing that tour are significantly higher than either "Geoff Tate," "Operation: Mindcrime," or current "Queensryche," doing it, that if Scott convinced Ed to do the tour too (which means then you have two-thirds of the majority of the current Queensryche ownership), they could they then play that tour as QUEENSRYCHE, with Geoff as the singer, Scott the drummer, Eddie the bassist, and two guitar players (whoever that may be). They could do that, although if Wilton sat out, he likely would still get a share of the profits due to his standing as an owner. The losers in that scenario would unfortunately be Parker and Todd, who wouldn't get a thing most likely.

Tate has already confirmed he's going out doing Empire in 2020. What remains to be seen is, how many, if any, current or former members of Queensryche will he have in tow, and of those, can he get two principals from the existing Queensryche to do it with him, and call it a reunited (without Chris, obviously) Queensryche, and bring in a high enough guarantee from promoters to make it doable and practical for all involved.

As others here have said in the past, not sure the increase from promoters in that scenario would be worth the marketplace confusion again. But other bands have successfully gone out with an older lineup and then returned to the current lineup to support big records (Fates Warning has done it a couple times). So I wouldn't discount the possibility of that happening if the money is right.

On a better and more positive note - I saw Tate confirm EMI is doing the box set for Empire. That's good. They'll do a good job. if its up to the level of the Sign of the Times deluxe edition with all that great artwork and other stuff, it'll be worth it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3469 on: January 23, 2019, 05:31:27 PM »
Further speculation - Wouldn't it be interesting if Scott didn't give up his legal standing with the band? I mean, with Tate saying in that interview that he's touring on Empire for 2020 and all. I imagine if Geoff got Scott to play with him in 2020 on a tour supporting Empire, and the guarantee numbers from promoters for "Queensryche" with Geoff Tate as singer doing that tour are significantly higher than either "Geoff Tate," "Operation: Mindcrime," or current "Queensryche," doing it, that if Scott convinced Ed to do the tour too (which means then you have two-thirds of the majority of the current Queensryche ownership), they could they then play that tour as QUEENSRYCHE, with Geoff as the singer, Scott the drummer, Eddie the bassist, and two guitar players (whoever that may be). They could do that, although if Wilton sat out, he likely would still get a share of the profits due to his standing as an owner. The losers in that scenario would unfortunately be Parker and Todd, who wouldn't get a thing most likely.

Boy, you never quit, do you? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3470 on: January 24, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »
It would be nice if Scott could actually give a statement of some kind about the band situation. I would imagine he isn’t because of whatever legal situation is going on but I’d like to hear his side.

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #3471 on: January 24, 2019, 03:41:32 AM »
It would be nice if Scott could actually give a statement of some kind about the band situation. I would imagine he isn’t because of whatever legal situation is going on but I’d like to hear his side.
He's too busy at this point breast feeding and being on parental leave :corn :justjen

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3472 on: January 24, 2019, 08:13:21 AM »

Boy, you never quit, do you? :lol

Hahahahaha. Just watching the train wreck, taking odds on the possibilities.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3473 on: January 25, 2019, 01:15:05 AM »
Could it also be that their record deal with Century Media includes some kind of clause regarding the scenario where one founding member leaves and how it affects their advances etc, or that their deal is now completed after 3 albums and losing Scott would weaken their position in the negotiations for a new one (either with CM or some other label)? I know Pink Floyd kept their split with Richard Wright in the 80s under the wraps for the latter reason.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3474 on: January 25, 2019, 01:49:44 AM »
If Scott is out there's probably a shitload of legal things to discuss, not least of all who is allowed to call his band Queensryche in the future.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #3475 on: January 25, 2019, 04:46:54 AM »
If Scott is out there's probably a shitload of legal things to discuss, not least of all who is allowed to call his band Queensryche in the future.
Geoff sold that right, and the band won/bought it. I don't see how Scott leaving would change that.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3476 on: January 25, 2019, 05:44:29 AM »
Did Geoff sell it, or has the judge decided that the name belongs to Wilton, Jackson, Rockenfield? I don't recall the  details.

If Rockenfield has a share in the QR business operation, he has a share in the band name. And if he leaves and decides to join Geoff (speculating here) then there are two parties with two members each who would like to call themselves Queensryche. I'm pretty sure that Tood and Parker are more like (long term) hired guns, with no legal claims.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3477 on: January 25, 2019, 07:51:52 AM »
Geoff does not have the legal rights to the Queensryche name. He did not "sell" it, however. Simply put, the settlement required the band to pay Geoff an agreed upon amount that represented his ownership stake in the band, based on the valuation of the name (however they did that) at the point of the split. That sum is undisclosed, but I heard it was something in the range of $670,000-$750,000. As of early last year, the band (again, from what I heard) had still not fully paid Geoff what he was owed. They are, essentially, making payments (as of early 2018).

Once Geoff was gone, the band re-did their band agreement, with three principals - Wilton, Jackson, Rockenfield. (La Torre and Lundgren would then be considered "employees.") I don't know the details of that agreement. However, I would assume that if one of those principal members leave, a similar scenario would unfold, where the remaining two would have to give the departing principal a sum based on the value of the band/brand at that point in time (or, it could be a stipulated amount in the band agreement - again, it all depends on what is in that agreement). I don't have those details, so I have no concrete way of explaining it.

However, for purely speculation purposes, as I explained earlier, if Scott is gone, but hasn't yet been taken off the band agreement (or the issue of his ownership stake is in legal question), if he joined Geoff, no, they couldn't technically call it Queensryche. HOWEVER, if the same facts are true, and Scott is still technically a legal principal of Queensryche (which I assume he still is, given the "legal issue" Tate referenced), if Scott connected with Geoff, and then convinced Michael OR Eddie to join them, then they have two out of three principals of Queensryche, and COULD POSSIBLY (again, I don't know the details of the band agreement and what it allows/doesn't allow) tour as "Queensryche." TOTALLY speculation. At the end of the day, the band agreement that they drew up once the split was finalized would dictate what the could and couldn't do.

It's probably more complicated than that though. But when it gets complicated, just follow the money. Who has control of Queensryche's accounts? Who stands to make more/lose more in all the possible scenarios? Answer those, you know what goes on with Queensryche post-1997.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3478 on: January 25, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
However, for purely speculation purposes, as I explained earlier, if Scott is gone, but hasn't yet been taken off the band agreement (or the issue of his ownership stake is in legal question), if he joined Geoff, no, they couldn't technically call it Queensryche. HOWEVER, if the same facts are true, and Scott is still technically a legal principal of Queensryche (which I assume he still is, given the "legal issue" Tate referenced), if Scott connected with Geoff, and then convinced Michael OR Eddie to join them, then they have two out of three principals of Queensryche, and COULD POSSIBLY (again, I don't know the details of the band agreement and what it allows/doesn't allow) tour as "Queensryche."

You're doing it again! :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3479 on: January 26, 2019, 08:55:47 AM »
However, for purely speculation purposes, as I explained earlier, if Scott is gone, but hasn't yet been taken off the band agreement (or the issue of his ownership stake is in legal question), if he joined Geoff, no, they couldn't technically call it Queensryche. HOWEVER, if the same facts are true, and Scott is still technically a legal principal of Queensryche (which I assume he still is, given the "legal issue" Tate referenced), if Scott connected with Geoff, and then convinced Michael OR Eddie to join them, then they have two out of three principals of Queensryche, and COULD POSSIBLY (again, I don't know the details of the band agreement and what it allows/doesn't allow) tour as "Queensryche."

You're doing it again! :lol

That one was for you!

bosk, we need a "beating a dead horse" emoticon. Get on that man.  :lol :lol

On the flip side though, if things stay status quo, and QR remains as is, and Tate does the Empire 30th tour he's talking about (hopefully with Scott in tow), that might work out pretty well for anyone who is still a fan.

See, there you go, TAC. Some positivity.  :yarr

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3480 on: January 26, 2019, 09:16:51 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3481 on: February 02, 2019, 08:35:34 AM »
So, Michael is now saying that Todd has been writing most of the drum parts all along and Scott has just been laying them down.

http://bravewords.com/news/queensryche-guitarist-michael-wilton-todd-la-torre-wrote-most-of-the-drum-parts-for-the-last-two-albums

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3483 on: February 03, 2019, 09:58:16 AM »
Well, at least you can say that this is all on Scott.   Wanting paternity leave is totally cool, but then just "ghosting" the band?   Very NOT cool.   

What a train wreck this is.   

Based on the strength of Condition Human, I'm willing to at least give it a try, though.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3484 on: February 03, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
As weird and wacky as it is.... I believe Todd.  So he was really on paternity leave, and then for just whatever reason he enjoyed continuing to stay away from the band and.... that was basically it.

It's like if you have the luxury to take a sabbatical from work, you plan to stay away for six months and then you just don't return without giving an explanation. D'uh.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3485 on: February 04, 2019, 02:59:05 PM »
Work cancelled today because of snow.  So I'm spending the time in my ongoing project of ripping my vast CD library to my computer. 

I decided to use my new library program to rearrange the tracks from The Warning into their originally intended order.    This is the first time I can remember hearing it this way, and I like it quite a bit better.  It's obvious that the song flow was intended for this order.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3486 on: February 05, 2019, 06:59:19 AM »
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryches-todd-la-torre-i-havent-talked-to-scott-rockenfield-in-over-a-year-and-a-half/
If you haven't even talked to your coworker for 1.5 years, is he still part of the company?

It's weird. Either he's not allowed to talk to them by some legal factor or they aren't allowed to say they are in communication with him, also by some legal factor. Because not talking to your band member but still considering them a part of the band is whack.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3487 on: February 05, 2019, 07:02:02 AM »
Right. They communicate through the manager? I mean, they're in a band together. They can't even text?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3488 on: February 05, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryches-todd-la-torre-i-havent-talked-to-scott-rockenfield-in-over-a-year-and-a-half/
If you haven't even talked to your coworker for 1.5 years, is he still part of the company?

Well, sort of.  But the "coworker" thing is a much different dynamic where you are talking about owners of a small company.  If you haven't talked to your co-owner for 1.5 years, is he still a co-owner of the company?  Yes. Absolutely.  BUT the other owners and probably grumbling about it A LOT and thinking up ways to force him to either get more hands-on or get out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3489 on: February 05, 2019, 08:30:10 AM »
Work cancelled today because of snow.  So I'm spending the time in my ongoing project of ripping my vast CD library to my computer. 

I decided to use my new library program to rearrange the tracks from The Warning into their originally intended order.    This is the first time I can remember hearing it this way, and I like it quite a bit better.  It's obvious that the song flow was intended for this order.

You guys are getting a ton of it up there. Been getting a ton of pics from family and friends.

Yeah, The Warning in that originally intended order is the way to go. I got into QR at the end of the Rage cycle (1987), and so my first experience was listening to Rage, and then Mindcrime. After that, I got Live in Tokyo, and it wasn't until 1990 that I went back and got the Warning. And it never really clicked for me. I mean, I liked my favorites well enough (NM 156, Roads to Madness, Take Hold), but it wasn't until I learned of the real track order that I fell in love with the ALBUM. They really put a good amount of thought into that running order, and it is a shame the label changed it to lead with the title track because it was the first single.

re: Rockenfield - remember, there are three sides to every story. Scott is staying silent, which is smart, because he knows he won't win a public war of words with the band. I don't think I know the ENTIRE story, but the details that I know that ARE NOT public have me (even though I am not really a fan of the current band) on the band's side. But again, as with every case, there are legalities involved. They have a band agreement where Wilton-Jackson-Rockenfield own the corporation. What's in that agreement is what rules the day, GENERALLY.

But as with everything, each situation is unique. I will say this. My gut feeling is that this is ALL about money, even if everyone flatly denies it. It always is. For example, lets say Scott went on parental leave, notified the band. They agree, and Casey comes on to do a few months worth of dates. Well, as a majority shareholder, Rockenfield is still entitled (again, depending on what the band agreement says, which I have not seen) to his share of the band's profits, after expenses, even if he isn't playing. He's an owner. Say the band didn't pay him (again, this is ALL hypothetical), because they paid Casey, and didn't think it was right that Scott sat out and wanted his cut, so they didn't give him the right amount of money. If you were Scott, wouldn't you be pissed?

If that was you, what would you do? I don't know what Scott did or didn't do, but as an owner, and with power to make fiscal decisions for the band, you have to wonder if all this is about a monetary disagreement or acts associated with that (payment or non-payment). In my experience, shit like this ALWAYS comes down to money. And as Queensryche has success in the public war of words with Tate, they are now getting out in front of this publicly again, with Scott staying silent.

No one knows exactly what went on, but if you believe it ISN'T about cash, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you...

Offline pfillion

« Reply #3490 on: February 05, 2019, 09:07:57 AM »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3491 on: February 05, 2019, 09:17:51 AM »
First review of the new album:

https://www.therockpit.net/2019/album-review-queensryche-the-verdict/

Cool. Reviewer really doesn't do much except quote band members and give a tiny description of a handful of songs (which could be derived from 30 second samples if those are up somewhere). Hopefully future "reviews" give more a more in-depth description of the actual songs.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3492 on: February 07, 2019, 08:46:00 AM »

Scott's still a major shareholder in the company but he's on gardening leave and presumably refusing to quit because he likes getting that yearly profit dividend whilst sitting on his arse doing nothing...

...once bands hit a certain level of success they tend to get turned into a corporation where the members of the band become equal shareholders in that corporation. Going by UK tax laws (iirc, it's been a while since I had to worry about it myself), share dividends come under capital gains and get taxed much less than if that money had been rolled into a monthly income. If you're paying yourself £100k a year to cover bills and getting a yearly dividend windfall of £500k it can be a substantial difference in tax than just paying yourself £600k year.

This is all lovely whilst that band is making hay and the lineup is stable. It tends to cause problems when the band's popularity dives, people leave/get booted out and their shares distributed among the remaining shareholders whilst new members only get paid a salary, and if someone declines to contribute but still keeps drawing down their yearly dividend... it could get ugly.

I would bet on QR's management somewhat cooking the books so Rockenfield ended up receiving less than he perhaps feels entitled to... e.g. because they had to pay Casey to tour the profits are inevitably reduced, but with Scott not contributing perhaps they decided to pay touring members a higher salary than usual, further cutting into the corporation's profits and impacting Scott's yearly dividend.

Obviously I'm massively speculating. I haven't a clue what's going on ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3493 on: February 07, 2019, 08:53:35 AM »
On a more positive note, I've noticed an upward trend on current Queensryche's ticket sales, at least in my city.

The last time they played here, the show was far from sold out (this was the tour with Armored Saint and Midnight Eternal). It was packed, but nowhere near sold out. While in line to get in, almost EVERYONE (except me, since I bought a ticket early) had bought tickets on that 2 for 1 deal on Groupon. I was astounded. I mean, Queensryche was trending downward, but going full-on Groupon?! I didn't stay for Queensryche, I left after Midnight Eternal and Armored Saint, the latter of which is why I went in the first place.

Fast-forward three years later, and Queensryche now has Fates Warning in tow. I get a notification this morning (I had bought a ticket, and I'm going to see Fates Warning) that there are "less than 50 tickets" left for the show (which is in late March). Now, Fates Warning hasn't played this city since 2003, so a 16-year gap, and the fact they are in the same basic genre as Queensryche could have something to do with it. The pairing is obviously a lot more popular. So, whoever put the tour package together did a smart thing, at least in this region.

I'd imagine the pairing of Queensryche and Firewind (for Europe, although I'd love to see Firewind here again) will do much the same in Europe. So from a touring perspective, at least in one market (admittedly, a small sample size), the upcoming tour is performing much better than 2016.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3494 on: February 07, 2019, 01:22:52 PM »
Did they announce the European dates? The combo with Fates Warning would be pretty cool for Europe as well.  :tup

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3495 on: February 07, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
Did they announce the European dates? The combo with Fates Warning would be pretty cool for Europe as well.  :tup

Yep, they are doing a round with Firewind as lead support.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryche-announces-summer-2019-european-tour/

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3496 on: February 07, 2019, 01:53:27 PM »
Whoa, I didn't catch that! The Fezen festival in Hungary seems like a tremendous opportunity for progressive metal fans, given that Dream Theater is performing only two days before Queensryche.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3497 on: February 14, 2019, 08:29:52 AM »
Anyone that used Pledgemusic for ordering the album just got screwed. I ordered a signed copy. Message from QR through PledgeMusic

Dear Pledgers,

It is with collective heavy hearts that we are writing to inform you
that we have all been bamboozled by the people at Pledge Music. The
platform informed some people that they were having money troubles but
we have now also been informed that they do NOT have the monies that
were pledged to Queensryche. This means that manufacturing nor shipments can be fulfilled.
We have been lied to for months and months by
various people at Pledge and have now turned this entire mess over to
our attorneys. As a pledger, please get to your credit card company NOW
and DEMAND a refund.

We are not alone in this matter, as it has been publicly made aware that many other artists have been affected as well.

We are truly sorry for this and any inconvenience this causes but please do
understand this is all out of our control and as we said before, the
Pledge folks lied and lied while they mismanaged the monies of the
company.

Forever Screaming in Digital,

Queensryche

PS, if you pledged for liner notes, your name is included.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: February 14, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
"Forever Screaming in Digital?" 

"Collective heavy hearts"

"we have all been bamboozled?"

:rollin

Who writes this shit, a third grader?

Seriously though, sucks for all you who pledged. That whole situation is terrible.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3499 on: February 14, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
What pisses me off is that it took them close to a month to issue an update on this. The PledgeMusic fiasco has been in the news for quite a bit.

Some of the artists affected are footing the bill, but Queensryche is not.