Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 692452 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3255 on: October 29, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »
Mostly for FW:  I may have to jump on a plane for this (SFO, SMF or ABQ).  Beats trying to drag my ass up to Hollywood on a Thursday night.

P -- come up for San Fran. We'll hang. I'll even stay for QR (wasn't planning to) if you do and take in the set with ya. PM me if you decide to.

Oh, but you won't stay for QR if *I* decide to go?  I see how it is.

Hahahha. Check your email as to THAT reason for THAT particular show. You know, the one I sent you initially saying who was going.

P -- cool.

Same here. I'm mostly in for Fates Warning. They probably are my favorite band displacing DT a few years ago.  :metal

:metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3256 on: October 29, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »
;)

If our entourage grows much bigger, we are DEFINITELY going to have to get in line early to stake out enough space in that one spot in the venue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3257 on: October 29, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
;)

If our entourage grows much bigger, we are DEFINITELY going to have to get in line early to stake out enough space in that one spot in the venue.

Best spot in the house! We'll make it happen. I'll corner that one metal dude that is always there and make him reserve the whole row. Dude owes me for watching his spot 5x the last time we were there. :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3258 on: October 29, 2018, 11:38:26 AM »
I think it was more than that, so I'd get him to throw in some nacho fries too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3259 on: October 29, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »
that artwork has 80's cheese schlock written all over it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #3260 on: October 29, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
I'll give them some credit for going out and touring with a contemporary band...

Fates Warning is contemporary? I never would have guessed.

I am not even sure I know where the Neptune is. If pressed I would have said it is a local movie theater.... reseaching... huh, it was a movie theater just as I was thinking, but now it is a live venue.

The Neptune is an awesome old theater.  Saw some good movies there when I was at the U, but I haven't seen a live show there.  That'll be interesting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3261 on: October 29, 2018, 03:46:18 PM »
Will be interesting how they follow up Condition Human.  Still a very long way away though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3262 on: October 29, 2018, 03:59:15 PM »
Wasn't Condition Human released in 2016? Release says 2014. They really need to proofread.  :lol

"With the release of the band’s third album, Operation: Mindcrime, catapulted "  - they should worry less about being badass and more about making sense  ;D

Michael “Whip” Wilton (guitar) adds, “The Verdict is the most metal and the most progressive record we have made in a long time. I couldn't possibly be more excited for everyone to hear this."

I know it is just the hype machine at work, but that sounds cool, regardless.  :lol

And if the image I posted earlier is close to the cover art, it reminds me of a Testament cover a bit...

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3263 on: October 29, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
Cool looking album cover!  :metal

Sounds promising that this album will be more metal and progressive. I liked the first two Todd albums but they just seemed to have too much of a mid tempo vibe and wasn’t getting out of second gear that often.

Hopefully they let loose a bit more on this one. Sure sounds like it

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3264 on: October 29, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »

Michael “Whip” Wilton (guitar) adds, “The Verdict is the most metal and the most progressive record we have made in a long time. I couldn't possibly be more excited for everyone to hear this."

I know it is just the hype machine at work, but that sounds cool, regardless.  :lol

And if the image I posted earlier is close to the cover art, it reminds me of a Testament cover a bit...

Nah.  Looks more like Jelly Jam's album cover for Profit. 

https://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Jam-Profit/dp/B01D0RKAKY

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3265 on: October 29, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »
I find the album cover kind of icky, but still, I'll be checking out the album.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3266 on: October 29, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »
Wasn't Condition Human released in 2016? Release says 2014. They really need to proofread.  :lol

October 2015 ;D

Anyway, I'm hyped. The cover looks really bad but I'm excited for the album regardless. :metal:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3267 on: October 29, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
Album cover is pretty cheesy but it’s 10 times better than the awful Condition Human one. By the way, did that sell 100,000 copies? Not really up on the levels of album sales these days but that still seems respectable? Nowhere near their glory days obviously but not too bad considering how far they fell from those days.  Or am I way off and that’s a pitiful amount?

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3268 on: October 29, 2018, 07:02:26 PM »
steven wilson's To The Bone sold about 250.000, so it's not too bad i think? He's a lot bigger than Queensryche these days.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3269 on: October 29, 2018, 10:39:43 PM »
I'll give them some credit for going out and touring with a contemporary band...

I am not even sure I know where the Neptune is. If pressed I would have said it is a local movie theater.... reseaching... huh, it was a movie theater just as I was thinking, but now it is a live venue.

The Neptune is an awesome old theater.  Saw some good movies there when I was at the U, but I haven't seen a live show there.  That'll be interesting.

I saw Rocky Horror in that theater back in the day.   It's in the U-District.   This is going to be a fantastic show.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3270 on: October 31, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »
A couple of song clips now on their official YouTube included in a promo video for the album and tour. Hard to tell completely but sounds promising to me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3271 on: October 31, 2018, 06:15:10 PM »
The sample clips sounded pretty decent

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3272 on: November 01, 2018, 02:55:46 AM »
Yeah, clips sound good  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3273 on: November 01, 2018, 05:53:21 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3274 on: November 01, 2018, 06:22:59 AM »
sounds good to me too

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3275 on: November 01, 2018, 06:42:18 AM »
So I'm going to the Ryche/Fates tour in Worcester, Ma. :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3276 on: November 01, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »
I'll be at a couple shows. Not sure if I am staying for QR yet. Will depend on the setlist.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3277 on: November 05, 2018, 03:08:26 AM »
Not sold on the album cover (looks like generic metal artwork), but the last clip in the video sounds promising.
Clearly the stuff with Todd is not on a par with QR in their prime which I would say just about includes PL, that’s some of the greatest metal ever released. I will argue with anyone however who says that it’s not miles better than anything they’ve released since, including HITNF with Tate and DeGarmo and the album DeGarmo came back to contribute on, was that called Tribe?
Honestly, if HITNF had better production and the crappiest few songs like Get a Life and Anytime/Anywhere were thrown out, the resulting album would be easily better than CH IMO.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3278 on: November 05, 2018, 06:19:38 AM »
Not listened to it in a loooooong time but I listened to it a lot when it came out, desperately trying to convince myself it was good as they were probably my favourite band in the world at that point having bought PL and then worked my way back.  It's not a terrible album by most band's standards but, compared to what came before, it's like they fell off a cliff in terms of quality imo.  Seem to remember Spool was quite a decent song but not much else.  I think Condition Human has a few duds also but has Arrow Of Time, Guardian, Hellfire, Eye9 and Bullet Proof at least which are better than anything on HITNF imo.  I think I even preferred Q2K to HITNF but it's so long since I listened to either of them that I wouldn't want to totally stand behind that opinion!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3279 on: November 05, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »

Honestly, if HITNF had better production and the crappiest few songs like Get a Life and Anytime/Anywhere were thrown out, the resulting album would be easily better than CH IMO.

I absolutely agree. Those are the two main problems with HITNF -- too much filler, and flat, lifeless production. People love to label stuff, and saying that HITNF was QR doing the grunge or alternative thing may not be wrong. But the direction wasn't what the problem was with the album. HITNF had a lot of good songs. It just got bloated with too many throwaways and a misstep in dialing back the production.

Frankly, there is a ton of ear candy on there for guitarists.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3280 on: November 05, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
I look at it completely opposite. I liked their approach and what they were trying to do. I just think there's a ton of junk on it.

Oh, and I LOVE Anytime/Anywhere!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3281 on: November 05, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
Well, sure.  But it is well documented that your opinions on music are generally rubbish.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3282 on: November 05, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #3283 on: November 05, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
Just took a look at the Irving Plaza show.  I wonder what the difference is between the $29.50 GA and $35.00 GA tix.  It'd be nice if they made that distinction on the Live Nation web page.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3284 on: November 08, 2018, 04:10:34 AM »
You need to listen to their latest album.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3285 on: November 15, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
track listing per QR Facebook page...

1. Blood of the Levant
2. Man the Machine
3. Light-years
4. Inside Out
5. Propaganda Fashion
6. Dark Reverie
7. Bent
8. Inner Unrest
9. Launder the Conscience
10. Portrait

teased a major announcement tomorrow as well.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: November 15, 2018, 02:40:15 PM »

Are they FINALLY going to tell people that Todd played drums? Or perhaps that Ed Bass is going on parental leave this year?  :lol  (kidding)

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #3287 on: November 15, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »

Are they FINALLY going to tell people that Todd played drums? Or perhaps that Ed Bass is going on parental leave this year?  :lol  (kidding)
Todd will take over drums, and Geoff the vocals. Or maybe the other way around :biggrin:

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3288 on: November 15, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »

Todd will take over drums, and Geoff the vocals. Or maybe the other way around :biggrin:

We laugh, but now a couple years down the line, I can see a scenario where Geoff returns, and both he and Todd sing, with Todd on drums. I don't think it'd ever happen, but given everything else that happens with this band, you can't rule it out.  :rollin

Song titles are cool. Hopefully the record is good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3289 on: November 15, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
Wow.  This long a wait.  For 10 songs.

Eh, I don't know why I even bother being annoyed, honestly.  I just need to resign myself to the fact that QR is perhaps the most underachieving band in history, given their potential, and they live to give the least possible effort in anything they do.