Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 691286 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3185 on: October 05, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
Where is the teaser available?  Link?

I sent it to you already, remember?

The teaser is good. I mean, it sounds like a natural progression from Condition Human. Less like old school QR, more like you would expect a band with La Torre making his imprint on it. Remember, other than Wilton, none of the original songwriting core remains, so its going to be different as their new chemistry and sound develops Again, its only a minute sample, so there's not much to really evaluate at this point. But that's what it sounded like. The drums don't sound like Rockenfield (because they aren't), which takes a bit of the old school QR feel away even further. But I am sure if you're just evaluating it as a progressive-leaning hard rock/metal album, it'll deliver.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3186 on: October 10, 2018, 09:27:49 AM »
I didn't take any screen shots of this as proof, but I saw on the band's official facebook page this morning that a person commented on a picture asking the usual "Where's Scott?" question.  Another fan responded that "he left the band to join Geoff Tate."

The page deleted that response not long after.  Whether it's true or not, I don't blame that page from scrubbing talk about Scott leaving to join Geoff, since they're very much still asserting that he's in the band.  But it's interesting to see that people outside of this forum are talking about it now.  If it is true, word is making it's way around...not just about him leaving, but that he specifically left to play with Geoff again.

Also, Todd's been active commenting on the band's page, batting fans that complain about Scott's absence.   He recently compared the drumming on the album to pizzas.  "Do you care which chef made your pizza, if the recipe is the same?"    :lol   I think the guy spinning pizzas at Dominos might make a different pizza than the guy at a higher-end, wood-fired pizza place.  The same goes for musicians - it's all drumming, but one drummer vs. another can certainly change things.  Look at when Lars was absent from some Metallica shows a while ago and they had Dave Lombardo and Joey Jordison substituting.  Those songs sound a lot more powerful and the drumming certainly is faster with those guys behind the kit.  And I love Lars and will defend him to the death, but there's no denying that Joey crushes him here.

Joey Jordison / Creeping Death drum cam:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YTdmZaJrPY

I don't know if the band can get any more pathetic than this.  The band really just needs to make an announcement - drop the press release and confirm the drummer situation and move on.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3187 on: October 10, 2018, 09:55:25 AM »
 :lol

Such a cluster fuck.

Said it before, will say it again -- unless Casey re-cut them (unlikely), Todd all but flat-out admitted he did the drums for the record on FB, but then he deleted the posts. (Something along the lines of him saying Casey didn't do them, and Scott didn't do them, and then winking when someone said that Todd did them, if I remember right.) So yeah, he's going to be sensitive about the drums because he's the one who did them. And if you listen to the pledge sample, you can tell its not Scott. The drumming sounds fine, and the album sounds promising in that 1:30 teaser, but you can tell the drums aren't Scott. And they are delaying that as long as possible to avoid any backlash in people ordering the record. Newsflash -- have those guys not learned ANYTHING about just coming clean at the outset? I think after the whole Tateryche era, they would have learned, particularly as people made it VERY clear to them what a mistake it was to try and fool fans.  ::)

The sad thing is, the record may not sound like QR, but it likely will be good, given the songwriting chemistry between Ed, Todd, and Michael that has developed. But because they tried to play everything so close to the Vest about the drums, people are going to be turned off, and it will bite them in the ass.

In this fan's opinion, a band now with only two original members left, and only one that was an original writer (and not the majority writer after Mindcrime), is not really going to be that band, except in name. Particularly since the groove Scott has is (as anyone objectively listening to Casey drum, who is an OUTSTANDING drummer, can tell) very distinct and adds a sound to QR that is irreplaceable. QR with Casey is not the same feel as QR with Scott. Not Casey's fault, and he's done a great job, but its just not the same.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3188 on: October 10, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »
Yup, yup and yup.

I have a feeling that I will really enjoy this album but, good god, they are doing everything they can to turn me off and make me lose interest. How can they be this careless about how they are handling this? Are they that blind to how the fans are seeing this?

Whatever, I will buy the album but I doubt I will bother paying big money to see them live anymore. Just didn't feel right last time.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3189 on: October 11, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
Yup, yup and yup.

I have a feeling that I will really enjoy this album but, good god, they are doing everything they can to turn me off and make me lose interest. How can they be this careless about how they are handling this? Are they that blind to how the fans are seeing this?

Whatever, I will buy the album but I doubt I will bother paying big money to see them live anymore. Just didn't feel right last time.
You captured my thought pretty accurately.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3190 on: October 12, 2018, 01:28:20 AM »
How can they be this careless about how they are handling this?

I would guess there's one of two answers:

1) He's left but there's some legal complication related to that thing they did a few years back allowing people to buy shares(?) in the band, or some other legal complication involving the Queensryche "company".
2) He hasn't left but there's some legal complication involving Scott's personal life that means he can't be seen to be involved in the band.

It might be "we don't want to say" more than "we can't say". Maybe they think it's keeping interest in the band ticking over in a "no publicity is bad publicity" way but in general it does come across as weird.

I still prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt, for the time being, that they have a good reason.

At this point the mild excitement of them throwing off the shackles of Mythryche and replacing the rundown Tate with an enthusiastic rough diamond has completely faded. I'm alright with just getting a good album out of them every few years but I can understand why people feel they could/should do more.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3191 on: October 12, 2018, 07:36:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure most people would know something's different if George Kollias joined Porcupine Tree. I'm surprised to hear that Todd has made such a silly comparison.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3192 on: October 12, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »
1) He's left but there's some legal complication related to that thing they did a few years back allowing people to buy shares(?) in the band, or some other legal complication involving the Queensryche "company".

I have a feeling that this is the most accurate assessment.  I think Samsara has pointed out the band's financial issues a few pages back, but in reality - they are still paying Tate off of the top for his settlement.  Their guarantees have dropped.  So the band is in a financial conundrum.  How do they pay Tate and then buy Scott out when they have very little money available?  Band members have downsized their private lifestyles, some were or are working day jobs, they can only afford to pay a sound guy and dropped their tour manager and other roadies or crew.   From what I understand, it's not a pretty situation.

I'm pretty sure most people would know something's different if George Kollias joined Porcupine Tree. I'm surprised to hear that Todd has made such a silly comparison.

I've been told that despite his public persona of being a really cool, casual and fan-friendly guy, in reality, he is pretty sensitive to criticism.  Assuming that he played drums on the album, having fans continually question who is on the record could be grating on him, knowing that he laid down the drums and will eventually have fans riding him because he's not Scott.  As to the pizza comparison, yes it's very silly.  It's not about the chef (i.e. Queensryche is Queensryche regardless of who is in the band).  It's about replacing or substituting individual members (ingredients).  Would the pizza still taste the same if you replaced the tomato sauce with Heinz ketchup? 

I'm surprised to see him so active in battling some fans.  A few have deserved his direct responses due to being typical social media jerks, but it's weird to see someone who constantly took the high road during the split with Geoff now entering the fray and directly responding to fans when they question where Scott is and if he played on the album. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:38:03 AM by Grappler »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3193 on: October 15, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
If Scott had posted "hey guys, due to my new family and other personal circumstances I have to take the next year or so off. I don't know when exactly I'll be back, please be patient. Please give a warm welcome to Casey on the live circuit, and the studio drums will be handled by no other than Mr. TLT himself, according what I had mapped out for the album before life got too busy! I'm stoked to hear the end result and stoked to see him make a return to drumming", they wouldn't have been scrutinized from the beginning. Ville can testify (:P) I paid notice to the situation as soon as I heard the words "parental leave", because fathers are so rarely on parental leave in metal, and I thought that was really sweet. When time passed by with no further update, and when QR posted the briefest "he's still on parental leave" comment to the 150th fan question asking about Scott, while at the same time I'd seen a band announcing he would produce their new album, I realized he was hiding behind a very lovely excuse. And that's just me, I don't even know the guys or have any connections to them whatsoever. Also, as soon as Casey announced he was leaving Kamelot, they had to realize this would invite further scrutiny and questions. Instead they hid their heads in the sand.

It's very seductive to think that in this day and age any band performing strongly regarded nostalgia material well will be viable and make enough money even if it pisses off their core fanbase. The case of QR proves that's not true. Yes, the more casual fans, if they even know about the situation, won't care about the Facebook comments and for them Scott is still on parental leave from tour and they have a cool new drummer playing live. But they won't prioritize coming out to see the band tour without a hyped album in the first place. Who's the one doing all the hyping? Who spread the word about how cool Todd was and how stoked they were for the new Queensryche and allowed them to come out of GT's shadow in the first place? The exact folks they're not being honest to right now, and the exact folks whose wishes they previously disregarded when they didn't go out to tour the new QR stuff.

Always look at your peers. The reason why Fates Warning, for example, is a viable band and made a comeback is because they paid attention to their core fanbase in Europe and invested in a few headline tours around loads of places they haven't toured in years or at all, and the roaringly positive response replenished them and inspired them to create a fantastic album, which got an even better response. Roy Khan was a real moneymaker for Kamelot, but they had the balls to say he will be replaced for the entirety of the tour for an album that wasn't critically acclaimed at all before the tickets went on sale, as soon as he told them he was leaving. When he released his statement about leaving, they kept on communicating with the fans. When they got a new singer, they started marketing their new stuff so aggressively, and constructing all of their live shows around it that it kinda had the opposite effect - now they have so many new fans that haven't heard the old songs on old tours, they can only play a few of pre-Ghost opera tunes at a time. QR could have been on that wave as well. They left it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3194 on: October 15, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »

It's very seductive to think that in this day and age any band performing strongly regarded nostalgia material well will be viable and make enough money even if it pisses off their core fanbase. The case of QR proves that's not true. Yes, the more casual fans, if they even know about the situation, won't care about the Facebook comments and for them Scott is still on parental leave from tour and they have a cool new drummer playing live. But they won't prioritize coming out to see the band tour without a hyped album in the first place. Who's the one doing all the hyping? Who spread the word about how cool Todd was and how stoked they were for the new Queensryche and allowed them to come out of GT's shadow in the first place? The exact folks they're not being honest to right now, and the exact folks whose wishes they previously disregarded when they didn't go out to tour the new QR stuff.

THIS.

:tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3195 on: October 15, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
Yeah, that's a great post.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3196 on: October 15, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
Who's the one doing all the hyping? Who spread the word about how cool Todd was and how stoked they were for the new Queensryche and allowed them to come out of GT's shadow in the first place?

I feel like the hype started on June 08, 2012 - I was there, I saw it. I also believe it ended on June 09, 2012.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3197 on: October 15, 2018, 08:03:09 PM »
If there really is a legal reason related to the share sale, then they really ought to play it a little tighter to the vest.  The deciding factor isn't going to be what they "say" it's going to be what actually happened, and if it's a case of diminishing share value because it's not Scott, then Todd's "winking" isn't going to save them. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3198 on: October 15, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »
If there really is a legal reason related to the share sale, then they really ought to play it a little tighter to the vest.  The deciding factor isn't going to be what they "say" it's going to be what actually happened, and if it's a case of diminishing share value because it's not Scott, then Todd's "winking" isn't going to save them.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3199 on: October 15, 2018, 08:17:50 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Classic!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3200 on: October 16, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »
 :lol :lol

For the current band's fans, I really hope their new record is good, and they actively support it. It should be, if the samples are any indication. As for supporting it live, I am sure in their 16-song sets these days, a couple of songs will appear, but I don't think the band will deviate from what they do now. Mostly just hits, with maybe a rarity or two, and everything will be from EP-Empire, other than the two new songs. They'll probably ignore PL, and ignore their last two records.

If I was constructing their set for the 2019-2020 cycle, under the ridiculous constraints of 16 songs (which is what they do nowadays, 85-90-minutes, tops) and ignoring PL (unfortunately), it'd have three new songs from the upcoming record, one song from each of Condition Human and Self-Titled (so a total of five songs from TLT era). Then given Empire's 30th, they would rotate five empire songs in the set, playing everything from it, but rotating what each night), and then two songs from Mindcrime, two from Rage, one from Warning, and one from the EP.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3201 on: October 19, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
So, a new video update was posted in the Pledgemusic page. It shows footage of Todd drumming in the studio. Pictures of all the band members (including Parker) were shown except for Scott's.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3202 on: October 21, 2018, 06:54:39 AM »
Ville can testify (:P)
Yup :P (Great post btw)

I know this has been said numerous times in this thread before but man, I've never seen a band kill so much of its own momentum and miss so many opportunities. Besides the often mentioned lack of new material in the sets, I thought the pledge campaign for CH was pretty underwhelming to be honest: there were not that many exclusive updates or videos (and some of them were more like "hello from the road" and not even related to the actual recording process), and the signed CD I got was a standard edition - seriously? At least give the pledgers a digipak, dammit!

I was still ready and willing to cut them some slack, because the resulting record was a lot better than the rushed S/T, but all this lack of clarity regarding Scott and the general "meh, let's make some easy retirement money with the least required effort" attitude coming off from the (founding members of the) band has left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, and honestly I'm not even that psyched for the next album. It's sad to see a band with a great legacy that - for a moment - seemed to have got its shit back together resorting to lazy solutions and poor communication with its fans.

On top of all that, the more I listen to the Todd-era stuff, the more I find myself missing DeGarmo, and even Tate to an extent. The new material is well written and played semi-proggy metal, but for the most part it lacks the musical and lyrical depth of the RFO-PL era, and the fact that the band doesn't even bother to play a lot of it live makes it even harder to gain much of an emotional attachment to it. While Tate's work lately ranges from average to awful, at least the trilogy was an ambitious overtaking, and he's done lots of different types of tours in the past few years: the obligatory Mindcrime shows, the acoustic gigs, the tour with Blaze and Ripper, as well as some standard gigs with a mixed setlist. He seems to put in some actual effort and enjoy what he's doing, even if the crowds are small, and he has a vision, which is what QR is lacking.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3203 on: October 21, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »
Count in for Tate having entered Avantasia's family. Sure, Tobi must have searched for him because of his past glories, but still he got along enough with him to actually be part of the album, he went on tour with them and he will do so again, playing before crowds he will never reach by himself. That's a lot of exposure, and for someone who isn't interested or doesn't even know all the drama of the split (which happened 6 years ago btw, in internet times that's a lot of time, people don't overthink over these things), it could well be an exposure to him.

And hey, nobody who doesn't know him personally can know for sure what's going on with him, but for all we know, he might have actually learnt something from the split. He's six years older and supposedly wiser, he had to face reality and humility playing small crowds, maybe he really thought something like "Ok... I might have done something not so perfect... I should not blow my further chances", and commited more seriously to what he's doing. I've seen clips from his acoustic shows and he really seemed into it, he gave the vibe of being a frontman with consumate experience at easy with what he was doing and happy to perform.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3204 on: October 22, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »

On top of all that, the more I listen to the Todd-era stuff, the more I find myself missing DeGarmo, and even Tate to an extent. The new material is well written and played semi-proggy metal, but for the most part it lacks the musical and lyrical depth of the RFO-PL era, and the fact that the band doesn't even bother to play a lot of it live makes it even harder to gain much of an emotional attachment to it. While Tate's work lately ranges from average to awful, at least the trilogy was an ambitious overtaking, and he's done lots of different types of tours in the past few years: the obligatory Mindcrime shows, the acoustic gigs, the tour with Blaze and Ripper, as well as some standard gigs with a mixed setlist. He seems to put in some actual effort and enjoy what he's doing, even if the crowds are small, and he has a vision, which is what QR is lacking.

Agreed completely. To be fair, I think there is some great potential in what they've been doing the last two albums, but it certainly is not the same level QR reached in its prime. There's no way it could be. All the major writers, aside from Wilton, are gone. And now, the drummer who gave the tunes such a unique groove, that had hints of Rush in it, is gone too.

That setlist you linked to was really cool, and was on Tate's band's first tour though with the very first trilogy record. Tate wasn't performing well, and his band was nowhere near as competent at that point. But the setlist was outstanding, and I always regretted not seeing it.

Count in for Tate having entered Avantasia's family. Sure, Tobi must have searched for him because of his past glories, but still he got along enough with him to actually be part of the album, he went on tour with them and he will do so again, playing before crowds he will never reach by himself. That's a lot of exposure, and for someone who isn't interested or doesn't even know all the drama of the split (which happened 6 years ago btw, in internet times that's a lot of time, people don't overthink over these things), it could well be an exposure to him.

And hey, nobody who doesn't know him personally can know for sure what's going on with him, but for all we know, he might have actually learnt something from the split. He's six years older and supposedly wiser, he had to face reality and humility playing small crowds, maybe he really thought something like "Ok... I might have done something not so perfect... I should not blow my further chances", and commited more seriously to what he's doing. I've seen clips from his acoustic shows and he really seemed into it, he gave the vibe of being a frontman with consumate experience at easy with what he was doing and happy to perform.

I don't know Tate personally. But he has looked very much at ease with what he is doing. I last saw Tate with QR back in 2009. I didn't see him personally perform again until 2017, and he was so much more relaxed at that acoustic show. I saw him again this year, and it was more of the same (didn't sing quite as well, but he had a couple moments for sure). I think Tate's involvement with Avantasia is a great thing. IMO, Tate needs someone to get the best out of him vocally, and always has. Tobi did that on Seduction of Decay, and I have no doubt he will have done that on the three songs Tate has done this time.

At the end of the day, people need to be happy. And I'm glad both Tate and the QR guys seem to be. But I don't think QR will go on with La Torre after this record. I think inevitably, Tate reunites with Wilton, Jackson, and Rockenfield. Because simply put, they can make more money together than apart. And at some point, they need to retire. I can't see them being able to do that without some sort of cash flow. Hopefully, given the years apart, Tate making an effort to go say hello and watch QR's set a couple years ago, and Tate getting his voice in better shape, perhaps they'll be able to sit down a little wiser, and a little more tolerant, and put it together again. I don't think DeGarmo will be involved, but I'm still betting that a reunion of 4/5 of QR happens in 2020. But we'll see.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3205 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »
I had a bit of a random playlist in my car yesterday (not specifically Ryche) but Roads to Madness came on and I forgot how fucking epic and amazing that song is.  The guitar tones on the whole album are just epic.  Such nice crunch in the guitars.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3206 on: October 23, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »
I had a bit of a random playlist in my car yesterday (not specifically Ryche) but Roads to Madness came on and I forgot how fucking epic and amazing that song is.  The guitar tones on the whole album are just epic.  Such nice crunch in the guitars.

Top-five for me from them. I have to admit though, I really like the way they did it live on the Empire, with the build up to the held "maaaaaaadnes" on the chorus. I mean, it was done to preserve Tate's voice, but it just got really dramatic when he finally does it. Cool moment. But the studio version is killer. I still wonder how it would sound had the record not been remixed, and the guitars were up more the way they intended. Wish we had the ability to manipulate that ourselves.

I wasn't a fan of the abridged version they did for Live Evolution, or the acoustic version from 2003. That song needs its end part. Maybe not technically, but it makes it so much more epic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3207 on: October 24, 2018, 07:38:52 AM »

My favorite QR song. My favorite QR album, along with O:M.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3208 on: October 24, 2018, 04:18:30 PM »
It's difficult for me to choose a favorite album from the EP all the way through PL.  What an incredible run that was.  :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3209 on: October 24, 2018, 06:02:34 PM »

Top-five for me from them. I have to admit though, I really like the way they did it live on the Empire, with the build up to the held "maaaaaaadnes" on the chorus. I mean, it was done to preserve Tate's voice, but it just got really dramatic when he finally does it. Cool moment. But the studio version is killer. I still wonder how it would sound had the record not been remixed, and the guitars were up more the way they intended. Wish we had the ability to manipulate that ourselves.

I wasn't a fan of the abridged version they did for Live Evolution, or the acoustic version from 2003. That song needs its end part. Maybe not technically, but it makes it so much more epic.

I actually quite liked the Live Evolution version.  I actually liked how Tate sang the chorus.  Mind you I haven't listened to it for a while.

My favorite QR song. My favorite QR album, along with O:M.

Yeah, as the years go on, I appreciate The Warning more and more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3210 on: October 24, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »
I have literally never heard Live Evolution. Or LIVEcrime, for that matter.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3211 on: October 24, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
I have literally never heard Live Evolution. Or LIVEcrime, for that matter.

Livecrime never was on regular rotation.  It's just a well represented live version, you can imagine what it would sound like.  Live Evolution was one of my first introductions to Ryche so maybe I'm biased.  I really enjoy it, except for Kelly Gray.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3212 on: October 24, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »
I definitely remember when LIVEcrime came out. I think if it was a full show live album, I definitely would've bought it. Simply a live version of Mindcrime, I felt it was incomplete as a show, and frankly that's how I like my live albums. I had it in my hands a number of times, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I started getting into bootlegs around that time, and I always felt that I would be shortchanged by that release.

I was long checked out of QR by the time Live Evolution came out.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3213 on: October 24, 2018, 07:33:55 PM »
Clearly the stuff with Todd is not on a par with QR in their prime which I would say just about includes PL, that’s some of the greatest metal ever released. I will argue with anyone however who says that it’s not miles better than anything they’ve released since, including HITNF with Tate and DeGarmo and the album DeGarmo came back to contribute on, was that called Tribe?

The Toddryche stuff at least sounds like classic QR. The songs aren’t quite up to that level for the most part (there are a few though that wouldn’t sound out of place on those albums) but it is recognisably QR unlike the awful stuff they put out before Tate got the boot. It’s not like it was one or two bad albums either, they had years upon years to turn things around under Tate’s leadership and just went from bad to worse, year after year, album after album. If you think you miss Tate, go and have a listen to Mindcrime 2 or American Soldier or whatever his last album with them was and then listen to the S/T or Condition Human. There’s literally no comparison.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3214 on: October 24, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »
Every time this thread gets bumped up I expect an update on the new album.

Every time it isn't.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3215 on: October 25, 2018, 01:22:17 AM »
Every time this thread gets bumped up I expect an update on the new album.

Every time it isn't.

same  :(
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3216 on: October 25, 2018, 04:04:42 AM »
Take it as a reminder of the second half of Tate's tenure with the band.

Every time they released a new album you expected it to be good.

Every time it wasn't.

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3217 on: October 25, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
Clearly the stuff with Todd is not on a par with QR in their prime which I would say just about includes PL, that’s some of the greatest metal ever released. I will argue with anyone however who says that it’s not miles better than anything they’ve released since, including HITNF with Tate and DeGarmo and the album DeGarmo came back to contribute on, was that called Tribe?

The Toddryche stuff at least sounds like classic QR. The songs aren’t quite up to that level for the most part (there are a few though that wouldn’t sound out of place on those albums) but it is recognisably QR unlike the awful stuff they put out before Tate got the boot. It’s not like it was one or two bad albums either, they had years upon years to turn things around under Tate’s leadership and just went from bad to worse, year after year, album after album. If you think you miss Tate, go and have a listen to Mindcrime 2 or American Soldier or whatever his last album with them was and then listen to the S/T or Condition Human. There’s literally no comparison.

"miles bettter" of course is subjective.

I think I'd say the material on the two TLT QR albums is better than most of the stuff post-Chris, for sure. But again, everything is so subjective. The way I look at it, Queensryche's music followed a very distinct evolutionary course. As the guys got older, better players, more experienced songwriters, they experimented and pushed around, and what came out of it was a catalog of very different sounding records that all had this recognizable thread in them. Speaking for me, that thread is what catches my ear.

When Chris left after HITNF (which is flawed, but I've come to really appreciate that record over 20 years), that thread stopped. Q2k, at least I think, is a good album, but sounds nothing like QR before it. And that's not because of QR's trend of releasing albums that differ from each other. It's because that songwriting evolution, that thread, had ceased, and a new one began.

When Chris came back for what amounts to half of the Tribe album, you can hear that thread/sonic evolution again. It's present. Those songs he wrote/co-wrote/recorded sound like a natural extension of HITNF, into something new. But Tribe is such an anomaly. It's like a Frankenstein Queensryche record. You hear the original band again, but then you hear how incomplete it is, like it was stitched together to get it out there. And it was -- DeGarmo left the process well before it was done. But again, that thread, that sonic evolution, in the songs Open, Desert Dance, Falling Behind, Art of Life, Doin' Fine, and Justified (written and partially recorded during Tribe) are all a natural connection/extension from HITNF -- the thread was extended.

After Tribe, that thread is gone. Mindcrime II was Slater/Stone doing the music. American Soldier was Slater/Gray. D2C was Slater/Gane/Gray/Rockenfield/Jackson (again, talking music, the lyrics are obviously by Tate). More like splotches than threads, because no threads were given time to actually develop.

Then you have self-titled, Condition Human, and the new record. There is for sure a new thread, and you can easily hear it from the first to second record, and I guarantee you'll hear it on the upcoming record.

But while the music of these two (soon to be three) albums is arguably, subjectively, "better" than what came after PL, it doesn't, trying to be as objective as possible, sound like that original thread. It has hints of it in the riffs, some of Wilton's solos, and some of the vocal phrasing. It sounds like, potentially, a band picking up after Empire and sticking with that Empire/Mindcrime sound might have done, if they hadn't made the choice they did.

To me, however, that evolutionary move from Empire to PL is distinctly QR, and absolutely, if you follow the track of their writing, what was the natural next step, without repeating themselves. And that thread, and the elements of it that made up Queensryche, is what I've grown over the years to really love and enjoy. It's a familiarity -- different songs, different vibes, but distinctly QR.

Toddryche, as you called it, has great songs, and in some ways, the albums are more in-line, style-wise, with what I generally listen to, as opposed to HITNF, or Tribe, etc. But while I would concede that, I would also say its almost a completely new band, which started with the template of the old one, and stitched its own unique thread, which for me, isn't quite as good as the original thread.

I hope that makes sense. I am not belittling your point at all, just trying to explain how I view it all, and why.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3218 on: October 25, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
HITNF (which is flawed, but I've come to really appreciate that record over 20 years)

You're welcome.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3219 on: October 25, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »
HITNF (which is flawed, but I've come to really appreciate that record over 20 years)

You're welcome.

You mystify, with the things that you say.  ;)

Nah, I still think the clunkers are clunkers, and it has way too much filler. But I've come to really appreciate I think where Chris and Geoff, and the band as a whole were at, at that point in life. Songs like Some People Fly, which I thought was a bit cheesy, resonate more now, and my favorites are still strong favorites to this day. I think that record is 7 tunes strong: Sign of the Times, The Voice Inside, Some People Fly, Reach, You, Hero, Hit the Black, spOOL. Saved, Cuckoos Nest, and CHasing Blue Sky (b-side) are undercooked, and could have been better. And four, at least to my ears, shouldn't be on the album at all. Although obviously preference is subjective.

But over the years, I appreciate what Chris was trying to achieve with HITNF musically. He wanted to incorporate a more modern sound, but at the same time keep the complexity without it seeming like it was complex. I think HITNF achieves that. The guitar playing is massively underrated...its just not complex in the way QR was complex previously. I think Tate's less inspired vocals were very much on purpose, to sort of gel him with the times to a degree. HITNF was supposed to be Empire again, but Empire for the late 1990s. It didn't quite do that. But I still maintain to this day, if EMI didn't fold, it would have been really successful at the time. Sign of the Times and You were on massive rotation in New York (Long Island) at the time, and I've heard that it was the same throughout the U.S. Then when EMI went belly-up, there went the promotional push, and there went the tour (they had planned to do a European tour, and couldn't since they were forced to self-finance the U.S. tour, and then ultimately, Chris decided to leave).

But HITNF, looking back...for its time it had a lot of potential. But while the stars aligned in 1990 for QR, they didn't in 1997.