Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album

Started by AndyDT, April 29, 2009, 01:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfking

Quote from: bosk1 on June 01, 2011, 03:24:49 PM
I think it's because if you go through the four remaining members of the band, person by person, for each one of them, they either (1) don't want to write, or (2) can't write a complete song. 

Fair enough, but the complete ommission of Wilton's contribution to the songwriting makes me sad.  He wrote so many great songs back in the day and him and Tate, were a great songwriting team.

Lowdz

With OM and Empire alot of Wilton's songs are my favourites. Where did it all go? Maybe CDG was gluing Wilton's ideas together into song form?

wolfking

New song - Around the World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1JWWOL-opI

This has been put up by the band as a free download.

Hmm....not digging this shit at all.  Get Started was a fun track but this just doesn't cut it IMO.

bosk1

Quote from: Lowdz on June 02, 2011, 12:58:40 PM
With OM and Empire alot of Wilton's songs are my favourites. Where did it all go? Maybe CDG was gluing Wilton's ideas together into song form?

That is my understanding--that Wilton can write some good riffs and melodies, but can't arrange and can't write complete songs.  He is an idea guy, but Chris was the one who was able to take those ideas and put them together into a complete song.  If all he did was the arranging, he didn't take credit.  If he contributed to more than that, he did take some of the writing credit.  At least, that's how I understand it.

King Postwhore

Quote from: wolfking on June 03, 2011, 05:18:14 PM

Hmm....not digging this shit at all.  Get Started was a fun track but this just doesn't cut it IMO.

It's just ok.  I am not wowed by it.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

dongringo

Quote from: wolfking on June 03, 2011, 05:18:14 PM

This has been on youtube for awhile. I really like the melodies. It grew on me with each listen. I'm pretty sure this will be their second single though not positive. At any rate, they definitely went way more radio friendly with it, that's for sure.

abydos

I really liked the first 30 seconds.

Lowdz

As soon as the U2 riff kicked in it went downhill. Not an awful song just not a QR song.

dongringo

Quote from: Lowdz on June 04, 2011, 12:33:35 PM
As soon as the U2 riff kicked in it went downhill. Not an awful song just not a QR song.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Good U2 song. Still like it, just a little too radio.

abydos

Wot We Do - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akTwO-HB398

Heed my warning: some things cannot be unseen or unheard.

MasterShakezula

Quote from: abydos on June 16, 2011, 09:00:35 PM

Wow, is that the typical sound of post-1997-Queensryche?   :rollin 

Gadough

That video makes me wanna cry. Seriously, that's so depressing.

Nick

Quote from: MasterShakezula on June 16, 2011, 09:08:05 PM

No, not really. It's something new really, and 1000x worse than ANY Queensryche.

MasterShakezula

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2011, 09:49:17 PM
Quote from: MasterShakezula on June 16, 2011, 09:08:05 PM

No, not really. It's something new really, and 1000x worse than ANY Queensryche.

Quite the shame.  Who is behind this BS?

Gadough

....Geoff Tate and his wife.

wolfking

Get Me Started gave me some hope, but this song and video is just horrid.  What the hell are you doing Tate?  I've been loyal to Queensryche through their rough patch over the last 12-15 years, but I think this is just too much for me.

Jirpo

WebRaider

LOL, like most I enjoyed all the albums through PL. I just watched the last 3 vids posted here Get Started, Around the World, and Wot We Do... I know everyone is freaking over the Wot We Do vid but at least it has some kind of edge and they even put some chicks (and more?) on stage.. Get Started and Around the World put me to sleep  :sad:

Perpetual Change

What does his wife have to do with this anyway? I know I've heard that all around, but I've never been clear on the connectoin.

SystematicThought

Doesn't his wife tell him what to write or something like that

MasterShakezula

Quote from: Perpetual Change on June 17, 2011, 01:23:18 AM
What does his wife have to do with this anyway? I know I've heard that all around, but I've never been clear on the connectoin.

It seems to be an Ozzy/Sharon type deal where the wife has become an overbearing and parasitic manager.  It seems she became manager around Q2K, and that was the beginning of Queensryhe being rather weak, IMO.  And I guess she's been finding more and more ways to turn QS into whatever that thing in the new video is.

Nick

In an official sense Susan Tate is the band's manager.

dongringo

Quote from: MasterShakezula on June 17, 2011, 01:29:10 AM

It seems to be an Ozzy/Sharon type deal where the wife has become an overbearing and parasitic manager.  It seems she became manager around Q2K, and that was the beginning of Queensryhe being rather weak, IMO.  And I guess she's been finding more and more ways to turn QS into whatever that thing in the new video is.

Tate's wife has a lot to do with touring decisions, such as Lita Ford joining them on part of the last tour and opening for Chickenfoot, but she doesn't write the music. Geoff and his hired hands write the music and Scott Rockenfield has a fair amount of decision making as well as him and Geoff and their families are good friends. Geoff and Scott have been putting together the latest tour staging together as well.

Funny thing I remember about the last tour. When Whip was asked about opening for Chickenfoot in an interview, he said, "Yeah, that's kinda weird." lol Please don't ask for the link. I have no idea where it is, but I clearly remember it.

Anyway, I've been extremely busy so haven't yet seen the vids. I have never cared about music videos. I'll get the album used at some point and take the music on it's own merits, with no visuals to influence it.

bosk1

It seems to be an Ozzy/Sharon type deal where the wife has become an overbearing and parasitic manager. 

This.  And she, her daughter, and Misty Rockenfield (Scott's wife) are three of the strippers/dancers in the video (and on the Cabaret tour).

jonny108

I love the dislike bar on that video  :metal What a shit song.  Really sad to see how these have turned out.  Will not be watching these at High Voltage :/

skydivingninja

Quote from: bosk1 on June 17, 2011, 07:12:45 AM

It seems to be an Ozzy/Sharon type deal where the wife has become an overbearing and parasitic manager. 

This.  And she, her daughter, and Misty Rockenfield (Scott's wife) are three of the strippers/dancers in the video (and on the Cabaret tour).

Uh...and they don't see anything odd about that?

Jesus, just watched the "Wot We Do" video and everything about it was terrible.

KevShmev

Against my better judgment, I checked out both of those links. 

I chose...poorly. 

Just awful.

bosk1

Quote from: skydivingninja on June 17, 2011, 08:24:23 AM

This.  And she, her daughter, and Misty Rockenfield (Scott's wife) are three of the strippers/dancers in the video (and on the Cabaret tour).

Uh...and they don't see anything odd about that?

Exactly.  Apparently, they don't.  Honestly, I thought Parker Lundgren's "I am nailing Geoff Tate's daughter" guitar picks were funny as long as Geoff, Susan, and Miranda were okay with it (Parker and Miranda were engaged at the time).  But everything else...ugh.  

abydos

Quote from: KevShmev on June 17, 2011, 08:28:49 AM
Against my better judgment, I checked out both of those links. 

I chose...poorly. 

Just awful.
Morbid curiosity - it's a bitch.

The King in Crimson

Well, that was a pretty shit song.

Quote from: jonny108 on June 17, 2011, 07:23:37 AM
I love the dislike bar on that video  :metal
:lol
They disabled ratings on the video now.

abydos

Not only that but
QuoteComment Pending Approval! Cancel or
I bet there's an ironic lyrics line in Mindcrime or PL or a number of their albums about censoring shit someone doesn't want to see :Dd

Count of Tuscany

Quote from: abydos on June 17, 2011, 07:34:06 PM
Not only that but
QuoteComment Pending Approval! Cancel or
I bet there's an ironic lyrics line in Mindcrime or PL or a number of their albums about censoring shit someone doesn't want to see :Dd

Definitely! This immortal verse from "Anybody Listening?" (off Empire) comes to mind:

Read between the lines,
Criticize the lies they're selling,
Think for yourself and feel the walls
become sand beneath your feet...

I guess that's one song we won't be hearing them perform on this tour - unless Tate lacks all sense of irony. This is just sad, and the rest of the record (or, at least, what I've heard of it) isn't much better.

Nick

Last I saw it was 21 likes to 149 dislikes.

Some comments have now been approved. :lol

TL

The Aristocrats!

Gadough

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2011, 08:22:35 PM
Last I saw it was 21 likes to 149 dislikes.

Some comments have now been approved. :lol

One comment in particular caught my attention:

"Very different sound but not bad. The girls are hot. If you were to tell someone this song was by Queensryche they'd look at you like you had two heads. You've obliterated that pesky "genre" thing. Nice work guys."

I have a feeling that's supposed to be a subtle insult.