Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 692392 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3115 on: September 05, 2018, 10:08:25 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but have they confirmed Todd recorded drums for the album? I assumed Casey would do it, since he’s been with them for a while now.

About Mike Stone “temporarily” replacing Parker, we know it’s just for a few shows, but, considering this band’s history of continually changing members, do you guys think he’ll come back as a full time member in the not so distant future?

Not officially, but he slipped on FB awhile back, and before he deleted it, people figured it out. He basically said that it wasn't Casey, and it wasn't a session guy. Which leaves Scott, or himself. And Scott hasn't done anything with them. So, no, not officially stated, but they wouldn't do that anyway, in fear people would bail on them.

As for Stone, I think if the band reunites with Tate, Stone will. If they don't, then Parker will stay.

Don't know how I feel about Todd being the singer and studio drummer of QR. The way I see it, Scott is out and they got a killer new drummer (Casey). Even though he's "just" a touring member, he could track for the album and do a much better job than Todd, imo. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3116 on: September 06, 2018, 02:45:27 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but have they confirmed Todd recorded drums for the album? I assumed Casey would do it, since he’s been with them for a while now.

No, it's just been inferred. The whole Rockenfield situation seems very peculiar so who knows what's going on... the least worst scenario with Todd doing the drums, personally speaking, is if he consulted with Rockenfield over the arrangements but just performed them himself.

It could be worse. They could have the comedy midi drums of Mindcrime II back!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3117 on: September 06, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »
Don't know how I feel about Todd being the singer and studio drummer of QR. The way I see it, Scott is out and they got a killer new drummer (Casey). Even though he's "just" a touring member, he could track for the album and do a much better job than Todd, imo. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Not that I agree with Todd doing the drums (Scott should), but how do you know Casey would do a better job than Todd? After all, Todd was a drummer first and foremost, and becoming a lead vocalist happened later for him. Had being a full-time vocalist not been so taxing, I could easily imagine Todd just taking over the drum throne for Scott. Of course, I'm not familiar with Todd or Casey's drumming skills, but I wouldn't automatically dismiss Todd's abilities just because he happens to be the vocalist (and not the drummer) in the band.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3118 on: September 06, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »
if Todd wants to drum, let him drum.  I'd rather they find a new singer anyway.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3119 on: September 06, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »
It's not about Todd drumming - if he wants to play drums on the albums and utilize a touring drummer, that's cool.  It's about the band attempting to pull the wool over the fans' eyes.  They haven't really been honest about Scott from the get-go, and they're being really coy about who played on the album.  They know the fans won't be happy if they admit that Scott isn't in the band and didn't play on the album.  The longer this goes on, the more the fans figure out that they're being fleeced, which makes the band look bad.

If Scott's parental leave expanded into something further, he and the band should have put out a statement confirming it and then moving on.  Let the chips fall where they may with the fans.  Some will walk away, some will respect the band's honesty.  Instead of being honest with the fans, they've chosen to hide whatever is going on. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3120 on: September 06, 2018, 09:04:00 AM »
Todd is drumming a bit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCY2DFzS7og. Something DT related in the end ;)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3121 on: September 06, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »
Not that I agree with Todd doing the drums (Scott should), but how do you know Casey would do a better job than Todd? After all, Todd was a drummer first and foremost, and becoming a lead vocalist happened later for him. Had being a full-time vocalist not been so taxing, I could easily imagine Todd just taking over the drum throne for Scott. Of course, I'm not familiar with Todd or Casey's drumming skills, but I wouldn't automatically dismiss Todd's abilities just because he happens to be the vocalist (and not the drummer) in the band.

But was Todd known for being a drummer way before he started singing for QR or Crimson Glory? It’s not like he’s Nick D’Virgilio, who had a fantastic drumming career before Neal left SB and he had to take on vocal duties. And I’m not trying to say he isn’t a good drummer or anything like that, I’m just saying why not let your touring drummer, a guy who has a professional drumming career and someone who played, recorded and toured with Kamelot for 20+ years, do the drumming? He certainly has waaay more experience and know how than Todd, and that doesn’t take anything away from him, imo. He’s been hired as the singer of QR (and he’s fantastic at it), nobody expects him to take on drumming duties as well.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3122 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
Why pay a session musician when you have someone able to play drums in your band?  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3123 on: September 06, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »

But was Todd known for being a drummer way before he started singing for QR or Crimson Glory? It’s not like he’s Nick D’Virgilio, who had a fantastic drumming career before Neal left SB and he had to take on vocal duties. And I’m not trying to say he isn’t a good drummer or anything like that, I’m just saying why not let your touring drummer, a guy who has a professional drumming career and someone who played, recorded and toured with Kamelot for 20+ years, do the drumming? He certainly has waaay more experience and know how than Todd, and that doesn’t take anything away from him, imo. He’s been hired as the singer of QR (and he’s fantastic at it), nobody expects him to take on drumming duties as well.

They'd have to pay Casey for the session work.  Todd did it for free.  MirrorMask has it completely right. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3124 on: September 06, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »
That's a valid point  :laugh: :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3125 on: September 06, 2018, 10:11:37 AM »
A buddy sent me the video preview clip from the new record. It's very short, just for pledge members.

Honestly, it sounds really cool, from the limited bit that's on there. Pretty heavy. But it honestly doesn't sound like Queensryche (again, it was pretty short, so don't read much into that). The one thing I'll say though, is that if you are familiar with Rockenfield's style, and are a hardcore, you can tell he is not drumming.

But for those who are a fan of QR in its current form, at first listen, its a natural extension of Condition Human into heavier territory. (Again, it was just a short clip, but sounded promising.)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3126 on: September 06, 2018, 01:38:41 PM »
...its a natural extension of Condition Human into heavier territory.

It kinda makes me mad to have to say this, but that description alone really appeals to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3127 on: September 06, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
It was like a 20 second sample, bosk. LOL. But it was really good, I'll give it that. And you know my feelings about current QR. But as far as 20 second samples go, it was cool, and fans of Condition Human would be pleased with the sample.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3128 on: September 06, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »
A furthering of Condition Human sounds great, but..........

I'm growing tired of the smoke and mirrors. For years, Tate and his wife were apparently doing things that members of the band had no idea of. Finances, non-QR people playing on the records, etc. That interview where Parker mentions an album surprised him because he never heard a bunch of the music on it comes to mind.

Now it sort of feels like QR is Tate and the fans are QR. I know I am being very general here but hopefully you get where I am coming from. Unless there is some legal thing going on that we don't know about. You guys aren't Tool, and it's not even cute with Tool.

I don't know. Just be open and honest with the fans.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3129 on: September 06, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, believe me. It is part of the reason I no longer support current QR by not going to their shows or buying records. (Among other reasons.)

Everything we complained about from say 2003-2012 is back again, except the new music is more along the lines of what was expected from Queensryche. But the same bad decisions, same smoke and mirrors, etc., are still there. And in some ways, the smoke and mirrors are worse when it comes to various things about the band.  :lol

My advice - just enjoy the tunes, and ignore the rest. Trust me. In some ways, I am thankful and fortunate for the access I had for a few years. Made some cool memories, and got to experience some things. But truth be told, I wish I never had gotten involved, nor met some of the people in their camp. So go enjoy the tunes, and let the rest go. All the rest is BS you don't need. :)

I hang in these days more out of morbid curiosity because I know how it all works behind the scenes and the personalities involved. But outside of the original lineup, which to me IS Queensryche, and still my favorite band and I enjoy listening to that catalog as much as I ever did (and still enjoy documenting their history), I simply just enjoy the music from the post-Chris years where I can, and mostly ignore anything from 2011-present.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:16:13 PM by Samsara »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3130 on: September 07, 2018, 01:14:23 AM »
QR is the perfect example why I try not to get too interested and invested in the musicians in a band I like.

Of course I'm curious and read interviews and such but I try, as good as I can, to separate the personalities from the music they are making. For a long time, when I was still young and naive, I just assumed, that if you write and play music that moves me, you had to be a good person. Then I realized that some of my "idols" are simply assholes and that was a big letdown and has seriously tainted my enjoyment of some of the music I liked.

Once I came to accept that musicians are just normal people with all their egos and problems and what not, I could separate their behaviour from their music and could enjoy it once more. But when you get reminded time and time again that all's not right, it gets harder.

In the end the music matters and if QR put out a killer record, I will enjoy it regardless of who played what. But I'm inclined to be less forgiving if the music is subpar than with a band that isn't surrounded with all that drama.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3131 on: September 07, 2018, 03:44:22 AM »
A furthering of Condition Human sounds great, but..........

I'm growing tired of the smoke and mirrors.

I wouldn't call it smoke and mirrors, it's just being evasive. As to why it's happening I have no clue. I'd prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt that it's some weird legal issue they're trying to work around. I mean, if they're trying to mollify the fanbase that all is well behind the scenes then they've managed to get it hopelessly wrong so I've got to assume it's more complicated than "yes, he's left the band but we want to pretend he hasn't lest people think we're not really QR anymore".

It wouldn't be the first QR record where Rockenfield's drumming wasn't present. Mindrime II definitely wasn't, albeit a few of the tracks may have been programmed based on his arrangements, and I'm not convinced about American Soldier (though I find that such a chore to listen to that's only a half formed opinion that may be a result of the mix rather than the arrangements).

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3132 on: September 07, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »

I wouldn't call it smoke and mirrors, it's just being evasive. As to why it's happening I have no clue. I'd prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt that it's some weird legal issue they're trying to work around. I mean, if they're trying to mollify the fanbase that all is well behind the scenes then they've managed to get it hopelessly wrong so I've got to assume it's more complicated than "yes, he's left the band but we want to pretend he hasn't lest people think we're not really QR anymore".

It wouldn't be the first QR record where Rockenfield's drumming wasn't present. Mindrime II definitely wasn't, albeit a few of the tracks may have been programmed based on his arrangements, and I'm not convinced about American Soldier (though I find that such a chore to listen to that's only a half formed opinion that may be a result of the mix rather than the arrangements).

Yeah, I guess "evasive" is a better description for the current stuff with Rockenfield. But regardless, they aren't being forthcoming because they are worried about Rockenfield not being on the album, and what that will do to fan reception on the new record.

You're right, Mindcrime II didn't have Scott drumming. It WAS his arrangements (for the most part). Here's how that went down, according to Jason Slater - Scott recorded drums in his (Rockenfield's) home studio, and when Jason got the tracks, they were basically unusable. So Jason, bit by bit, reconstructed Scott's parts on midi, and then called in a drummer friend of his (I forget his name) to play some stuff he couldn't program. That's how MC II went down. But NO ONE knew that until way after the fact, and at that time, Tate was still in the band.

Now we're looking at a Tate-less band, and now the prospect of not having Scott on the record at all, leaving two original members, and yeah, the band is likely worried about how that will impact fan reception and the first week chart numbers of the record. Rightly so, they should be concerned, because that first week is always huge, and a poor week might mean they get dropped.

Re: American Soldier -- that was Scott, completely. No midi or fill-in drummers. I've asked both Jason and Scott, multiple times myself. That's all Scott.

Going back to the Rockenfield discussion of what is going on now, what I heard, and I've said this before, is that he took a hiatus for his son for a few months, and then reconnected with Tate when Tate wrote something in support of Scott while Scott was going through a divorce last year. That led to Scott doing behind the scenes stuff with Tate (what, I'm not sure), and Rockenfield kept staying away from QR (he did this in the past, staying away from the band, for a long period in late 2013, if I remember right). Whether all this will result in Scott gigging with Tate, I don't know. I don't think Tate can afford to bring Rockenfield out on the road, which is why it didn't happen. What I do know is, is that Rockenfield got very pissed when he found out QR recorded a record without him, and rumor had it he was going out of his way to prevent it from coming out (which I assume is why the record's release date was pushed from this fall, to early next year, despite what the band has said publicly). There's some other stuff that went on too that's not necessary to add, but you get the point -- shit has gone down.

But, QR has just released that minute sample of the new record to its pledge people, and so new music IS on its way from the La Torre-fronted QR. But they are still being "evasive" when it comes to the drummer, most likely because the above situation has not been resolved, and there likely are some legalities associated with that.

My complete guess is, the band and Scott are at odds regarding him leaving, money owed, and trying to restructure in such a way that they can continue on and not lose face, and avoid paying Scott a huge settlement (because they still owe Tate too, which I know for a fact). And that could ultimately end up that to make it so everyone gets paid, QR with Tate, Rockenfield, Eddie, and Michael reunited, so that all this "settlement payout" is done with, and "Queensryche" with the four remaining original members can maximize the little time they have left to make decent cash before calling it a day. Again, that is all speculation.

But that's what I think. Take from it what you want, believe it or not. But that's what I know, and what I believe based on what I know, and the personalities involved.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3133 on: September 07, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
Sam, that is amazing insight and I appreciate your posts on this.

I just want to say that this is so ugly. You'd think this band sold their soul for their early days because I'm not aware of any other band that has gone this nuclear.

I'm good through Empire, and while many include PL, but this band's first handful of albums are so incredible, that they have retained as many fans as they have through the clusterfuck of a second half of a career. It's sad, actually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3134 on: September 08, 2018, 05:00:13 AM »
I really don’t think them re-uniting with Tate would give them any kind of bump. The records put out with Tate, post Promised Land (and that itself was a step down from what came before imo) ranged from nothing special to downright awful. It was inferred that this was largely due to Tate not wanting to go back to their trademark sound and not even wanting to play the classic stuff live (which he can no longer sing). Because I loved the band so much, I stuck with them through all those bad albums. I nearly gave up a couple of times but then they put up a review saying MC2 was the best album since MC1 and I gave it a chance, it wasn’t! Similar thing with American Soldier, I was once again led to believe it was a return to form so I bought it and it wasn’t. At that point, the whole fool me once thing kicked in and I said never again.  I did see Queensrÿche live by chance after that as they opened for Judas Priest and were terrible.

Fast forward to Todd joining and a promise that this would be a return to the more classic Queensrÿche sound. I bought the first record and it was easily their best since PL, I enjoyed it a lot, despite the awful mix which means I struggle to listen on headphones as it gives me a headache. Condition Human had a much better mix (no headaches) but the songs, whilst still decent, weren’t quite as good as the s/t. Still enjoyed it though.  I also got to see them live with Todd and it was night and day compared to later Tate tours, Todd sounded incredible singing the classic material and there was much more energy on stage (not Iron Maiden levels obviously but more than had been there previously)

I had been looking forward to the new album but some of the comments on here are dampening my enthusiasm a little as is the Rockenfield situation. I’m not a drummer or even a huge drumming fan but Rockenfield is one of those rare drummers who does have a distinctive style and this, in turn, is part of what gives Queensrÿche their distinctive sound. He will be missed if he’s not on the record but it makes things worse that we’re being misled it seems about him still being in the band.

Still, even though my enthusiasm is suitably dampened a little, if it were announced that Tate was back in the band and they were moving forward on a new album and tour with him, I would instantly bail on the band. It would not excite me even in the slightest to see him back even as someone who loved his work with the band during their classic era. Todd has breathed some new life into a band that was dead to me, to kick him out and go back to Tate would be an absolute disaster, I think they’d actually sell less tickets for that “reunion” than just carrying on as they are.  If DeGarmo was in tow and it was the full original lineup then maybe you’d see a bump but Tate alone would not do this, I think it would have the opposite effect.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3135 on: September 08, 2018, 05:47:02 AM »
I really don’t think them re-uniting with Tate would give them any kind of bump.

A full performance of Operation Mindcrime could, but ironically they've done that so many times that everyone interested has seen it and it's something, by now, that can be easily overlooked.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3136 on: September 08, 2018, 06:01:09 AM »
I wish the capitalized on their new found integrity several years ago when they brought in Todd. The people were excited about the band again and the last two albums were their best received releases since Promised land. However, it feels like the ship has sailed. They fought so hard to build the band from scratch and then completely gave up after Condition: Human. They might as well call it quits all together at this point.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #3137 on: September 08, 2018, 06:17:07 AM »
So Rockenfield took a time-out and now he's pissed that they recorded without him? I can't hardly believe that they didn't at least ask him and if he turned it down he got no reason to complain. Or did they just assume he wouldn't want to be back and never told him they were entering the studio? As I said, I find that hard to believe.

And if Tate can't afford to bring Rockenfield on the road, surely leaving current QR generates even less income.

But I really shouldn't care anymore.

Offline PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3140 on: September 08, 2018, 11:56:55 PM »

Well said.

;D

Yeah, I screwed that one up  :lol

I was trying to quote the part of his post that said "But I really shouldn't care anymore."

Apparently, I put as much effort into the quote as this band has put into restoring their legacy...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3141 on: September 10, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
I wish the capitalized on their new found integrity several years ago when they brought in Todd. The people were excited about the band again and the last two albums were their best received releases since Promised land. However, it feels like the ship has sailed. They fought so hard to build the band from scratch and then completely gave up after Condition: Human. They might as well call it quits all together at this point.

Well, I'm not sure I would personally call it "integrity." But they did have momentum, which they let die by continuing the "Return to History" stuff once their debut record was released. As they were told by more than a few people, they should have hit the road HARD, and brought a set that featured all, or most of that record, night after night. Instead, they played a lot of the classics, and did fly-in casino dates. They tried to balance the nice pay day with the fly-in hair metal fests with metal credibility. And while I get what they were trying to do, it wasn't the right move. They needed long term credibility with the metal people. And instead, they just let their new music be an afterthought.

And sadly, that's what they've become now for many, an afterthought.

I really don’t think them re-uniting with Tate would give them any kind of bump.

Again, promoters are more interested in the original voice and band reunited, than the quality of performance. A mostly reunited QR with four original guys will sell more tickets (and generate a higher guarantee from promoters) than a band with two original guys with a replacement singer. It just will. I'm not arguing which singer is better with this. It's purely money and business driven. And this is all about cashing in.

I totally appreciate where you're coming from, but unfortunately, this is less about what may be best artistically, and more about what makes the most sense financially.

Again, mostly just my own speculation based on some facts I know, and knowing the personalities involved. What actually happens remains to be seen.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3142 on: September 10, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »
And **IF** the guys had taken the "grassroots" route and built themselves on being an actual band again, I would say that the long term cash in would be in maintaining your integrity and doubling down on Todd.   

But in the post-CH era, they have yet to show that they are willing to do that. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3143 on: September 11, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »
And **IF** the guys had taken the "grassroots" route and built themselves on being an actual band again, I would say that the long term cash in would be in maintaining your integrity and doubling down on Todd.   

But in the post-CH era, they have yet to show that they are willing to do that.

To play devil's advocate though, I see why they haven't. Yes, that was suggested to them (I did, and a bunch of smarter and more influential people than me all told them that). But the issue they had was...money. They had to pay Tate (who they still owe probably a third of what the settlement number is), which required bigger pay days. But as soon as they started gigging, it got even more competitive out on the road, and they saw their guarantees going down from promoters. So not only could they barely afford to sustain themselves, they also had to pay Tate. So I get why they do the casino gigs and the festivals, and the fly-ins. They are usually decent pay days. As opposed to slugging it out on a bus, on the road, for 150 gigs. That doesn't pay, and thats why their headline (now co-headline) dates are very restricted.

So I get it. I honestly do. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Trust me, I completely understand the fan opinion of "NO WAY THEY CAN REUNITE WITH TATE." I get it, honestly. And truth be told, (and this is just my own opinion) I don't think they want to. But they aren't stupid. Contrary to some opinion, yes, promoters WOULD pay more with a reunited four original members than they would for the current QR. Maybe not long term, but for touring on a record (Empire) on a milestone (30th anniversary), that is sure to draw more fans than usual? Absolutely promoters would pay more. And that's why I think it is going to happen (aside from the rest of the things I've said earlier).

And if that reunion of the remaining original four DOES NOT happen, both entities (Tate's band and current QR) will tour on Empire, creating competition again in the marketplace. Why? Because promoters are more interested in nostalgia stuff that they feel will bring in more people. So, for QR, it's a complete no-brainer that you bring back Tate and smooth it all over with Rockenfield. If you do that, QR doesn't need to pay Tate the settlement money he is owed, and they'll make more as a band, together, than they would apart. Throw the integrity and "right thing" out the window, and think only about money. That's what they'll follow. Just my .02.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3144 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
The last couple of days I've listened to the S/T and Condition Human. Some great songs there.

Kind of sucks about the whole Rockenfeld situation whether he leaves or not, whether its due to the divorce (with his wife) settlement, or other issues. I hope he can play again with the current QR lineup.

Sucks that we have to wait until 2019 for the new material to come out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3145 on: September 11, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
Well, I've lost almost all respect for them.  Again.  But at the very least, we got two really great albums from a band that was, for all intents and purposes, dead.  So there is always that.  If we get more, that's great.  If not, at least we have what we have.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #3146 on: September 12, 2018, 02:29:49 AM »
Well, I've lost almost all respect for them.  Again.  But at the very least, we got two really great albums from a band that was, for all intents and purposes, dead.  So there is always that.  If we get more, that's great.  If not, at least we have what we have.

Amen to that.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3147 on: September 12, 2018, 04:17:55 AM »
They should have just ditched the Queensryche name and sell it to tate while building their brand as Rising West.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: September 12, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »
They should have just ditched the Queensryche name and sell it to tate while building their brand as Rising West.

Back in 2012, after the Brazil incident, but before they fired Tate, they considered just gigging with La Torre as Rising West. But promoters wouldn't pony up enough cash to make it work, as the name had no brand value. Queensryche did, and the promoters wanted that, which is why they fought to keep it (among other reasons, obviously).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3149 on: September 12, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
There is no way on god's clean earth this band (or Tate's) will ever do anything remotely worthy of their glory-days-given fame ever again. Flush and forget.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.