Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 227843 times)

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3080 on: July 11, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
One More Time is easily my favourite song on PL

Ditto - the only song off PL that I really love and have played regularly.  Good to see it getting a mention in that list.  Most of the rest of those songs I struggle to even remember , which is no surprise given the albums in question.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3081 on: July 12, 2018, 07:36:21 AM »
Interesting list for sure, and there are some choices I agree with, but less than half.

For starters, Neue Regel is my favorite QR song of all time and spOOL is my favorite off HitNF, but judging by comments other fans have made about both songs, I wouldn't say that either are underrated - certainly not by the fanbase - which is what I'm assuming we're gauging this by. In both cases, I think the songs are both thought well of, if not as the best moments on their respective albums.

On the other end of the spectrum, I know not much is thought of Dirty 'Lil Secret, and quite frankly, I think it's justified (no pun intended). To these ears, it's nowhere near the quality of the rest of QR's output from that time period.

In short, here's what I'd say my list would be, considering just the albums from the original lineup in no particular order:
One and Only
Anytime/Anywhere (barring the juvenile lyrics)
Chasing Blue Sky
Out of Mind
Disconnected (do not get all the hate for this track)
Lady Jane
One Last Time
The Whisper
The Art of Life
Warning (great song always overshadowed by THotF, NM156 and RtM)

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3082 on: July 12, 2018, 07:52:22 AM »
My underrated tracks, in no particular order:

One and Only
Hand on Heart
Out of Mind
I Will Remember
Before the Storm
Lady Jane
Hero
Tribe
All I Want
One More Time
Less isn't more when it's all that you know.

Online Mladen

« Reply #3083 on: July 12, 2018, 10:22:28 AM »
It makes me very happy that many of you also singled out Lady Jane. I've always felt like that song never gets the love it deserves.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Shopping Cart Apologist
« Reply #3084 on: July 12, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
I don't dislike it.  But it has always been one of my least favorite tracks on the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
  • AnybodyListening.net
    • AnybodyListening.net - The Ultimate Guide to Queensr˙che's Original Lineup!
« Reply #3085 on: July 12, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »
Thanks for posting, bosk1.

Let me explain my rationale to some choices, such as "Neue Regel."

First and foremost, I made sure none of the tunes were ever singles. But then I tried to look at it from a casual fan perspective. More fans that know the stuff from Mindcrime, the hits from Empire, and maybe some of the more metal tracks from the earlier 1980s. It was really difficult to pick a list, and obviously, it is completely subjective.

But let me address a few:

Neue Regel -- Personally, this song is in my top-10 all time for the original QR. But most fans (again, taken from a casual perspective, IMO) are not as familiar with that song, as they are stuff such as Walk in the Shadows, The Killing Words, I Will Remember, and Screaming in Digital. So yes, if you are a hardcore, you know Neue Regel (I would hope so). But if you were just a casual fan of the band, that track likely may have gone unnoticed over the years.

No Sanctuary -- Absolutely underrated, although again, personally, one of my favs. I believe that when most casual fans think of The Warning by QR, they think of Take Hold of the Flame, the title track, Roads to Madness, NM 156. No Sanctuary got very little play over the years, and while it is an amazing song, it has flown under the radar.

Della Brown -- it has never been a single, nor has it ever been played extensively on a tour. Just sporadically here and there over the years (for example, they only played it a couple times on the Empire tour, never played it on PL, and then only played it at a handful of gigs on the HITNF tour when Tate was sick. It was played more after that, by the post-DeGarmo lineups of the band, but it was never really a featured song. And in remembering conversations over the decade or so on my old forum, it was a pretty polarizing track. I happen to think it should get a lot more love than a lot of hardcores gave it, and again, mainstream folks never really got exposed to it a lot, other than it being performed at QR's MTV Unplugged session.

In addition, a few of you pointed out songs that I absolutely would include if I expanded the list to say 15. Lady Jane, Out of Mind, Justified, London, One and Only, immediately come to mind. But having to squash it to top-10 cut out a few. Also, to whoever selected the song "Tribe," that was not written by the original lineup with DeGarmo. That was written without him, and he does not appear on that track at all. So at least for my criteria in establishing this list, that's not even a consideration.

Had I done a fully comprehensive list of the entirety of the catalog under the QR name, it would look entirely different than this.  :)

Overall, its just a blog, and despite it obviously being opinion, I usually write in a very definitive way. But I thought my choices were pretty fair. It was fun to sit down and put that all together.

Thanks again for posting it, bosk, and thanks to those who checked it out.

p.s.

It makes me very happy that many of you also singled out Lady Jane. I've always felt like that song never gets the love it deserves.

AMEN. The guitar solo in that song is classic Rage-era to my ears, and I completely agree it should have gotten more love. It would have probably been 11 or 12 on my list had I gone that far.
AnybodyListening.net - The Ultimate Guide to Queensr˙che's Original Lineup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3086 on: July 13, 2018, 09:40:09 PM »
I don't dislike it.  But it has always been one of my least favorite tracks on the album.

Yeah, but being one of the least best/favorite songs on Promised Land is like being the least hot supermodel.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Shopping Cart Apologist
« Reply #3087 on: July 14, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »

Yeah, but being one of the least best/favorite songs on Promised Land is like being the least hot supermodel.

Yeah, I totally get that line of thinking.  And I guess I don't really disagree.  But for me, the unfortunate consequence is that it is like being the supermodel that, after looking at all of the other hotter supermodels, by the time I get to that one, I'm like, "eh, skip."  She may be hot, but she really suffers by comparison just due to who she hangs out with.

...and this analogy sort of makes me uncomfortable.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #3088 on: July 14, 2018, 04:25:24 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3089 on: July 14, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3090 on: July 14, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
TAC, you shouldn't post the "after" picture of what the doctors told you would look like after a sex change operation. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #3091 on: July 14, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
TAC, you shouldn't post the "after" picture of what the doctors told you would look like after a sex change operation.

Well, I told him I wanted the KevShmev look and he...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D