Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 693552 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3010 on: May 09, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
You're forgetting about Parker and Todd. You assume they'd just get the boot as soon as the Tates called up the guys in QR?

In 2005, Anthrax got big offers to reunite with Joey, a few years after putting out a killer record with John Bush and experiencing a big resurgence.  What did they Do?

Reunited with Joey and Dan Spitz for the money, losing Bush in the process.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3011 on: May 09, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
As someone who hasn’t followed QR too closely, mostly due to my age (23), could someone please explain me why and when things started to go south for the band? Everybody seems to love the early albums and hate the 2000s albums untill the change to TLT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #3012 on: May 09, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
As someone who hasn’t followed QR too closely, mostly due to my age (23), could someone please explain me why and when things started to go south for the band? Everybody seems to love the early albums and hate the 2000s albums untill the change to TLT.

Generally, the point where things went south for Queensryche is considered to be somewhere in the 90's, but exactly where is somewhat subjective.  For a lot of the metal and prog purists, the more commercial direction of Empire in 1990 was the moment where QR started to loose it; for those who liked the big grandiose rock anthems of their earlier work, it was the more subdued and esoteric Promised Land record in 1994; for those who like the rich multi-layered production of early Ryche, it was the stripped down Hear in the Now Frontier from 1997; and for those whose favourite aspect of QR's music was DeGarmo's songwriting, it was 1999's Q2K.  A lot of it depends upon your personal taste in music and whatever it is that attracts you most to the band, but generally speaking, I think most would agree that it was around the time they were making Promised Land that the band began to experience difficulties in the interpersonal relationships of the band members themselves, strife which would manifest in their music soon thereafter.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3013 on: May 09, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3014 on: May 09, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »
You're forgetting about Parker and Todd. You assume they'd just get the boot as soon as the Tates called up the guys in QR?
And you are assuming they wouldn't?  You obviously don't know the power of money over the rest of the band.  I think it's foolish to assume they wouldn't act in their own best interests over those of Todd and/or Parker.  That's incredibly naïve.

Exactly. Parker is working a full time job at a Harley dealership (smart), and from what I heard, Todd is back to doing insurance adjusting (again, smart). Those two would land on their feet, although I think Parker is more likely to last long term in music at some point.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3015 on: May 09, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »

Generally, the point where things went south for Queensryche is considered to be somewhere in the 90's, but exactly where is somewhat subjective.  For a lot of the metal and prog purists, the more commercial direction of Empire in 1990 was the moment where QR started to loose it; for those who liked the big grandiose rock anthems of their earlier work, it was the more subdued and esoteric Promised Land record in 1994; for those who like the rich multi-layered production of early Ryche, it was the stripped down Hear in the Now Frontier from 1997; and for those whose favourite aspect of QR's music was DeGarmo's songwriting, it was 1999's Q2K.  A lot of it depends upon your personal taste in music and whatever it is that attracts you most to the band, but generally speaking, I think most would agree that it was around the time they were making Promised Land that the band began to experience difficulties in the interpersonal relationships of the band members themselves, strife which would manifest in their music soon thereafter.

And I assume that, after DeGarmo left, Tate took control of their creative direction?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: May 09, 2018, 10:37:24 PM »
100 percent correct, with a caveat. Q2k was a band effort all the way, with Kelly Gray literally stepping directly into Chris' shoes. And Tribe was unfinished because DeGarmo came back, and then left again. So it has a theme, but creatively, its not fully realized. It was really 2006 and Mindcrime 2 where Geoff took full creative control, and had it through 2012 and Dedicated to Chaos before being fired.

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #3017 on: May 10, 2018, 02:30:49 AM »
And you are assuming they wouldn't?  You obviously don't know the power of money over the rest of the band.  I think it's foolish to assume they wouldn't act in their own best interests over those of Todd and/or Parker.  That's incredibly naïve.
Considering how long it took Eddie, Scott, and Michael to kick Geoff out... Yeah. I can't quite imagine the scenario you're depicting.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3018 on: May 10, 2018, 03:03:03 AM »
I don't think there's any point, aside from a bit of fun in imaging the possible scenarios, in speculating now on a possible Empire reunion 30th anniversary tour for 2020. QR are about to release a new album sometime soon, let's see how it goes... say that it tanks horribly and the band actually folds, or that it's their best album in 25-30 years and they work around their schedules to go on a short but "perfect" package tour that revamps them and gives them even more expsosure or whatever... the possibilites, both good and bad, are many at this point.

And hey, if at all, since they've done suites already in the past, they could revamp the "Building Empires" tour... playing maybe not an entire album, but a load of songs from both Mindcrime and Empire. Empire is a good album but personally I wouldn't bother that much to see it all from a reunited Queensryche and a de-tuned Tate.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #3019 on: May 10, 2018, 07:48:23 AM »
Considering how long it took Eddie, Scott, and Michael to kick Geoff out... Yeah. I can't quite imagine the scenario you're depicting.

I'm not "depicting" any scenario.  I am agreeing with the fact that those three guys are driven by money, and that is something that is, by all accounts, in short supply right now.  They took so long to kick Geoff out for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is: the Tates were their cash cow and were findings ways to bring in money.  Not the best ways.  But still.  The money was still flowing in.  They only got rid of him when things became intolerable, the money was drying up, and it became clear that he was trying to screw them out of even more money.  Accepting an invite to get back together because the money is drying up again is completely consistent with their character, should the opportunity present itself.  You really don't think things through before posting, do you?
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: May 10, 2018, 08:10:29 AM »

I'm not "depicting" any scenario.  I am agreeing with the fact that those three guys are driven by money, and that is something that is, by all accounts, in short supply right now.  They took so long to kick Geoff out for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is: the Tates were their cash cow and were findings ways to bring in money.  Not the best ways.  But still.  The money was still flowing in.  They only got rid of him when things became intolerable, the money was drying up, and it became clear that he was trying to screw them out of even more money.  Accepting an invite to get back together because the money is drying up again is completely consistent with their character, should the opportunity present itself. 

Every word of the quoted above. Bingo.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3021 on: May 10, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »
For those that listened to part 1 of the podcast with Jason Slater, what did you think?

Link: https://www.extremepair.net/focusonmetal/podcasts/2018/focus-on-metal-375.mp3

None of this is news to me, since Slater and I are close friends. But for people who don't, or didn't follow a lot of the history behind the band from 2006-2012, what are your thoughts, if any? Part 2 next week is going to be pretty revealing as well, including some stuff that really never got talked about.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3022 on: May 10, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »
That was fascinating.  I always liked his input on the forum regarding those records.  One quote was extremely telling to me, given the current lineup's ambivalence to updating their setlist:

Regarding American Soldier (37:56): "There was a lot of disillusionment with being in the band, and if someone else was going to pick up the slack and get the work done, I think they were ok with that. Geoff was 1000% into it....but there wasn't a cohesive unit as a band that was excited about making the record."

So the band members weren't terribly interested in writing that record, and it fell to Geoff and Slater to pick up the slack and get the job done.  I think that can be extrapolated to the current lineup.  They played the same songs from 2012-2015.  After the release of Condition Human, they updated the set a bit, but have kept the same base setlist with minor changes for the past 3 years now. 

It seems that the band really needs someone that is more creative, or open to changing things to push them to do certain things at times, and without that person, they just plod along as they have been, without putting much effort into it. 

Also, when Matt Barlow was with Iced Earth, the band rarely rehearsed due to his day job.  So for 3 years, they kept a pretty standard setlist too.  With Queensryche having two members in Florida (Todd & Casey), they may not want to spend the money to get together as a band and rehearse new songs more often.  So that likely factors into it as well. 

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3023 on: May 10, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »
As someone who hasn’t followed QR too closely, mostly due to my age (23), could someone please explain me why and when things started to go south for the band?

The end of the Empire tour... that was the point where the band were able to stop focusing on the climb up the mountain and take a look at the view around them from the summit... at which point Tate's pause for reflection led him to the realisation he was on the wrong one!

Promised Land, regardless of how well received and how loved by many it is, is where we get the immediate impact of this as Wilton's contributions fell off a cliff, which we now know isn't because of any lack of ideas, it was because Tate started picking and choosing what he would or wouldn't work on and that pretty much meant Wilton's core songwriting approach was marginalised significantly.

Then once DeGarmo left Tate started to take over entirely and that allowed him to direct the band in ways he saw fit, giving us the wonder of Kelly Gray, Randy Gane (there's a reason why Myth never got signed back in the day) and Jason Slater (big meh) as songwriters. And it became clear that without DeGarmo around there was no-one to massage Tate's ideas for vocals and lyrics into shape, leaving everything sounding that bit more generic.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3024 on: May 10, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
I listened to the podcast and while I knew about a lot of that stuff from when the lawsuit went down... It's interesting to hear someone speaking about it.  What a sad sad state of affairs.  It's almost a wonder that the rest of the band found it within themselves to finally kick Geoff out.  It seems that they all felt like making OM2 was a bad idea - too bad they didn't stick to their guns on that one.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3025 on: May 10, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
Listened to that podcast.  It's interesting to hear Slater's take on things.  I think he exposes just how much dysfunction was going on within that band.  I can understand more and more why DeGarmo left in 1997.  You can only fight that kind of stuff for so long.  Sad.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3026 on: May 10, 2018, 03:53:35 PM »
Listened to that podcast.  It's interesting to hear Slater's take on things.  I think he exposes just how much dysfunction was going on within that band.  I can understand more and more why DeGarmo left in 1997.  You can only fight that kind of stuff for so long.  Sad.

But something's not quite right about that, assuming Slater is right.  He said essentially that Tate couldn't really relate to what Michael Wilton wrote and couldn't create melodies for it.  When Chris was in the band, he was kind of a filter and added some melodies to Michael's stuff which Geoff could take from there.  Without that, Tate thought Wilton's stuff was too heavy and Slater said he was kind of sneaky about keeping him uninvolved.  At one point Wilton showed up to what he thought was a writing session only to find he was supposed to be recording stuff that was already written.
 Presumably, Tate wouldn't have been pulling all of those shenanigans if Chris was in the band because he would have been working with Wilton.  So I have to think that that level of disfunction started after Chris left, rather than it being a reason for him to leave.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3027 on: May 10, 2018, 07:39:54 PM »
Presumably, Tate wouldn't have been pulling all of those shenanigans if Chris was in the band because he would have been working with Wilton.  So I have to think that that level of disfunction started after Chris left, rather than it being a reason for him to leave.
Maybe. Maybe not. As Cruithne mentioned, Wilton's songwriting input dropped WAY off after Empire, and DeGarmo was still a part of the next 2 albums. Why was that? I think there was at least some measure of dysfunction growing even while DeGarmo was still in the band. And Susan Tate was probably a big part of it, since IIRC, it's pretty much been established that she was part of the reason why he left (besides the label crumbling). Was it just because of the business end of it? Probably not. I'm sure a good part of it was also on the creative front too. So while the dysfunction may not have been blatant like it was by the time O:M II happened, I wouldn't be surprised if it started a decade earlier.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3028 on: May 11, 2018, 12:00:35 AM »
Maybe. Maybe not. As Cruithne mentioned, Wilton's songwriting input dropped WAY off after Empire, and DeGarmo was still a part of the next 2 albums. Why was that? I think there was at least some measure of dysfunction growing even while DeGarmo was still in the band. And Susan Tate was probably a big part of it, since IIRC, it's pretty much been established that she was part of the reason why he left (besides the label crumbling). Was it just because of the business end of it? Probably not. I'm sure a good part of it was also on the creative front too. So while the dysfunction may not have been blatant like it was by the time O:M II happened, I wouldn't be surprised if it started a decade earlier.

You're likely right about all that.  I didn't mean that there wasn't any strife that caused Chris to leave; just that I wouldn't have thought that the mess that Slater describes (about Tate trying to prevent people from getting involved, etc) was going on way back then.  I didn't know a lot about QR when all that was going on so I only heard bits and pieces about why he left, after the fact.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3029 on: May 11, 2018, 07:19:29 AM »
I don't know because I'm not close to the band, and those details haven't been disclosed, but generally speaking, those types of issues don't crop up overnight.  It may not have been anything back then like what it ultimately became.  But it wouldn't surprise me if it was going on in its early stages where Geoff was doing little things to try to push Michael to the background. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: May 11, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
The whole dynamic between Wilton and Tate is strange to me.

First, addressing Wilton's drop-off in the writing. Note that it began with Promised Land. I'm not sure if anyone but hardcores remember Wilton's other nickname (other than Whip)? It was Spike. Spike was essentially (at least how I remember it) what Wilton referred to as his "alter ego" after having too many beverages. On the PL tour, I believe Wilton was using guitar picks that said "Spike is Dead." I don't know this for certain, and never asked, but I always assumed it was because Wilton got some help during the time off from Empire-PL. That could be totally off base, but it's always what I assumed. And if that's true, it would explain a little why Wilton's writing dropped off significantly with PL...because he was busy with life stuff. Again, all speculation on my part.

On HITNF, he contributed even less, with just one song - Reach (a good one, with a nice riff and cool solo). So that trend continued. Q2k, everyone wrote everything together according to the credits, and that's true, they did work together, but it was mostly Kelly. Working from memory, the credits should be (according to an interview I did with Kelly 17 years ago):

(alphabetical)

Falling Down - Gray/Tate/Wilton (Wiliton's riff, Kelly's arrangement, both worked on solo)
Sacred Ground - Gray/Rockenfield/Tate
One Life - Gray/Tate
When the Rain Comes... - Tate/Wilton
How Could I? - Gray/Tate
Beside You - Gray/Tate
Liquid Sky - Gray/Rockenfield/Tate
Breakdown - Gray/Jackson/Rockenfield/Tate
Burning Man - Gray/Rockenfield/Tate/Wilton
Wot Kinda Man - Gray/Tate
Right Side of My Mind - Gray/Tate/Wilton

>>>>>So clearly, there was a unity on Q2k. A sense of "hey, we can do this without Chris." But come the time of Tribe, it really appears Wilton and Tate just butted heads completely. I remember my interview with Wilton where he blasted Tate for the direction early on (before Chris got involved), and the whole spat the summer of 2002 with Geoff calling the guys all "dysfunctional" on radio. But once the album finally got released, Geoff was complimentary of Wilton, saying that he had a big hand in the writing of them (which he did). So I'm guessing at that point they reconciled a bit. But once that tour cycle ended, it was obvious from that point forward that Tate was not interested in what Wilton was doing (as evident from the Mindcrime II - Dedicated to Chaos era).

Just a very strange dynamic. Slater's commentary in the podcast about the guys, at least from my two years or so of being much more involved with them was pretty spot-on. They all seem cool when you're talking to them, and when they need something from you, they'll be your best friend. But the moment they don't - its like you don't exist, and they become completely different. I can tell you from experiencing that from them first-hand, Slater is absolutely right about that.

They are just a really strange band, and without DeGarmo to bring the best out in all of them, and bridge together their divergent creative paths, they just miss the plot most of the time.

Even with the current era of QR with Todd and Parker in the band. I remember in spring 2013, backstage, they were talking about having to go back and remember the credits of who wrote what for the record. One thing that stood out was Todd saying at some point (I forget which song) that people wanted credit for things they didn't do. For example, Eddie is credited for doing background vocals on the self-titled. Eddie didn't sing a note. Todd did them all. But Eddie wanted credit. Todd didn't think it was a problem, because Eddie was going to be singing background on those songs anyway, so Eddie got a "background vocals" credit on the record.

But from a writing perspective -- Wilton is credited on Where Dreams Go to Die. But Wilton only slightly tweaked something on that song. On Open Road, Wilton didn't write the tune - Todd did. But Wilton wrote a solo and took Todd's solo, and slapped it on the end (so he slightly arranged the last bit of the song). And so Wilton took a credit on that tune.

However, I'm not slighting Wilton. I'm saying all that to support Slater's description of Michael, and why, perhaps, Tate didn't connect with him. Look at songs such as Redemption, Vindication, and Don't Look Back. Those songs are crafted around Wilton's major riffs. I'd bet my last dollar that Rockenfield and La Torre had a heavy hand arranging the songs around those riffs.

Michael is a killer player, and one of my favorite guitarists, and he writes great metal riffs. But if you look at his style of songwriting, you'll see most of the songs that are listed as Tate/Wilton are mostly metal riff heavy, with a more simple arrangement. So I can totally see what Slater was saying in the podcast, how Tate likely struggled at times to write over what Wilton was doing. Because a great riff (like the one in Murderer), by itself, doesn't lend itself to write lyrics on. The song needs to be fleshed out. And that's where I think at times, the disconnect between those two creatively was. QR always needed another guy to flesh out what Wilton and the other guys were trying to do, and make it inspiring to Tate to write over and gravitate to.

And perhaps, at the start of the Tateryche/Slateryche era, Tate simply didn't want to do that any longer because it was a big headache. I'm not saying it was right (I happen to think Tate had a responsibility to work on the music composed by the band, not other people), but I am saying that how Slater categorized everything is probably pretty spot-on, based on observation of the catalog of music, and the limited information on the creative side of the band that I know of and partially witnessed.

On Condition Human, Michael had a lot of credits. The writing chemistry between Wilton and La Torre is really good, because Wilton had some great riffs, and La Torre, being a musician, probably was able to take those riffs (in a DeGarmo/Gray/Slater mold) and expand on whatever initial demo arrangement Wilton put together. Tate was never able to really do that with Michael alone, because Tate isn't a music writer -- La Torre is. And La Torre is also into very heavy music like Michael. So there is a connection there, that didn't exist with Tate.

That said, like Slater said, keep in mind that Geoff is the one that championed MIchael's riff in Murderer -- Geoff likes heavy guitar riffs. But he's not able to pick up the guitar and take some great riffs and link them into a melodic song. He's not music writer in that sense. That's why Chris was vital, because he bridged that gap. La Torre now, along with Jackson (and Rockenfield, but now probably no longer) are able to fill that role, and that's why you see Michael being more prolific -- because the singer in the band is able to help craft (musically) the melodic passages needed.

Creatively, that's where Wilton and Tate had difficulty getting on the same page, and why Chris was so vital in that chemistry.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3031 on: May 11, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
And it's a shame that the band, as a whole, are so apathetic because, with LaTorre and, perhaps to a lesser degree, Parker as writers, they REALLY have some good writing chemistry and are able to craft some REALLY great tunes.  And with Parker on guitar, they have the guitar chops to replicate at least a credible version of that complex, melodic signature QR sound.  Unfortunately, that just isn't a priority for them.  They could be great.  But they have squandered so many opportunities and so much fan goodwill.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3032 on: May 14, 2018, 06:25:34 AM »

The level of dysfunction, where you get the sense that Tate was playing Wilton in the hope that he'd just leave the band, probably did only kick in after DeGarmo was no longer around to be Tate's handler and glue everything together, but I understand the rot had already taken hold long before DeGarmo left. I wonder if you've seen the following interview before?

https://www.loudersound.com/features/queensryche-the-dark-empire

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3033 on: May 14, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »
They took so long to kick Geoff out for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is: the Tates were their cash cow and were findings ways to bring in money. 

I should've thought it's quite challenging to boot a shareholder from a corporation unless you've got an incredibly good reason to  :-\ Tate trying to cut the rest of the corporation out of the proceeds of selling the Mindcrime movie rights and assaulting the other members of the band would do it. The QR cabaret tour, not so much :angel:

I'm not sure I'd describe the Tates as their cash cow either, I'd long since assumed it was more like QR were the Tates' cash cow, after all Tate never went through with his plan to leave the band after the Promised Land tour for some mysterious reason (not), and they engineered it such that Tate's wife ended up managing the band allowing Tate to manipulate situations such that he could cut the other three out of certain processes where the competing visions of how the band should be could create an impasse, holding up their ability to generate income.

Rockenfield's wife, at the time, being good friends with Tate's wife presumably contributed significantly to Tate engineering the situation where she was managing them. EdBass strikes me as pretty easy going, and was never a significant contributor to the writing anyway, so I imagine he was quite easy to talk into such a move.

On the other hand the impression I've had since the early 2000s is that Wilton hasn't happy with QR's direction for a very long time but he was stuck between wanting to continue making a living out of the band, wanting to not let Tate get full control of the band he founded and hoping that eventually things would turn around... which they did, just not after the band had become a bit of a laughing stock, unfortunately. Wilton's frog got out of the pot looking pretty damned boiled.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: May 16, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »
If you like metal, and like or liked Queensryche, listen to part 2 of this Focus on Metal podcast. Jason Slater describes his later years of working with the band, and the cluster F everything was...including the business side. Some will certainly surprise you. Tune in.

Direct link: https://www.extremepair.net/focusonmetal/podcasts/2018/focus-on-metal-376.mp3

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3035 on: May 16, 2018, 11:46:54 PM »

The level of dysfunction, where you get the sense that Tate was playing Wilton in the hope that he'd just leave the band, probably did only kick in after DeGarmo was no longer around to be Tate's handler and glue everything together, but I understand the rot had already taken hold long before DeGarmo left. I wonder if you've seen the following interview before?

https://www.loudersound.com/features/queensryche-the-dark-empire

Whoa
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3036 on: May 17, 2018, 05:56:53 AM »
It is easy to say now, but the legacy and reputation of this band would be so much better now had they called it quits after DeGarmo left the band.  Even the crappy Hear in the Now Frontier being part of that legacy wouldn't have mattered since everything else would have been great (to varying degrees based on your tastes).

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3037 on: May 17, 2018, 07:35:25 AM »
It is easy to say now, but the legacy and reputation of this band would be so much better now had they called it quits after DeGarmo left the band.  Even the crappy Hear in the Now Frontier being part of that legacy wouldn't have mattered since everything else would have been great (to varying degrees based on your tastes).

Well, as I've said many a time I love HiTNF  :'(... personally I think the legacy and reputation of the band would be so much better if Tate had just quit after doing Promised Land. Even had DeGarmo left anyway, a QR driven by Wilton with a LaTorre style singer who was actually a fan of the band's music would at least have their reputation in tact even if their popularity was no different to today.

It's fascinating to read Michael Wilton's court declaration again as I'd forgotten how much information he dropped that wasn't public knowledge:

https://www.metalinsider.net/legal-woes/the-battle-for-queensryche-gets-uglier-band-responds-to-geoff-tates-lawsuit

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3038 on: May 17, 2018, 07:46:12 AM »
Geez just at the beginning.

Geoff Tate’s ongoing assault and anger issues have become a serious detriment to the brand of QUEENSRYCHE. In 2000, we had a band meeting regarding our next CD and at that meeting, he did not like some topics of discussion and stormed out of the meeting after throwing a chair across the room. In 2007, Geoff Tate was angered by something and approached me in the band’s dressing room and proceeded to smash my laptop on the table and then hit me in the face while spitting on me and pushing me around the room for approximately 15 minutes. In mid-2011, the band held a meeting in the dressing room to discuss playing some of our older material such as ‘Queen Of The Reich’. Geoff Tate got very upset and eventually screamed, ‘I am NOT ever going to play those stupid songs!’ He then stormed out of the room. We have not been allowed to perform those songs since. In late 2011, the band held another meeting in regards to performing Operation: Mindcrime in its entirety for ShipRocked, a rock and roll-themed cruise scheduled for November 2011. The band was asking simple questions as to why we were being offered this and that. We wanted some more information about the offer. Geoff Tate got very upset and screamed at us, something to the effect of ‘what’s the problem and why can’t you just do this?’ and then stormed out of the dressing room.

I know that it's easy to say it just like it's easy to say to a beaten wife "if your husband is violent, leave him", but every single one of those occasions could have been enough to prompt them to fire Geoff there and then.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: May 17, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
Here are the lawsuit docs again for anyone who wants them. Here are ALL of them, in order (mostly):

www.anybodylistening.net/lawsuit.html

Regarding pt. 2 of Slater's Focus on Metal interview, I think one of the most revealing thing on there is not just that Slater wrote the songs, but that he gave up a piece of his publishing to the band that had nothing to do with the record (talking MC 2 specifically). I mean, Scott didn't even play on Mindcrime II, but he gets a piece of the publishing from the record, because Slater gave it to him. Say what you want about the quality of that record, but I don't know too many people that would do that, and have the integrity to think of the band before himself.

That's gone on to bite Slater in the ass, of course, because as he alluded to in the podcast, he hasn't been seeing any of the financial statements from Queensryche in quite a while, and is pretty confident (as he said in the podcast) that he is owed money by the Tates and QR. I believe him. I saw the last one. Suffice it to say, only DeGarmo (still) could make a living off his publishing (not a rock star life, but enough per month to live on). Everyone else literally needs every dime of it to make ends meet.

So the fact that not only has Slater NOT seen the financials in recent times, but he allegedly is owed money, and he gave up some of his publishing to further the band, really makes it that much worse. Particularly since according to Slater, he hasn't spoken to the Tates in years, and they only call him when they need something.

I also thought the apology to Ty Tabor was a good one. It wasn't Slater's fault, as he said, Tabor contributed a solo to Frequency Unknown thinking it was for Tate's solo record. But the Tates apparently never told Tabor it was for that fake QR album. What a cluster. And for you Ty/King's X fans out there, Slater got an email back from Tabor already about it, and Ty appreciated the public apology. :)

But man, just wow, on every level. I'm glad Slater put his story out there. He left out some bits that aren't necessary, and he was...very even-keeled when he didn't need to be, which shows a lot. Suffice it to say, as many of you have said, Queensryche should have ended after HITNF, or had Geoff left after PL, which he was contemplating.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: May 17, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »
p.s. re: Hear in the Now Frontier

I have to admit, 21 years later, the record has really grown on me. Maybe its nostalgia for a simpler time, but I really feel like the following tracks (in no order) really are pretty good:

Sign of the Times
The Voice Inside
Some People Fly
Hero
Reach
You
Hit the Black
spOOL
Chasing Blue Sky

>>>>I mean, that's nine tracks (eight that were on the actual record), and frankly, that's pretty good. The problem is, of course, the filler. 14 total tracks, and six of them (at least to my ear) are just way undercooked and just not good (Saved could probably be resurrected with a different vocal take).

But I for one am very grateful they made HITNF, and looking back on it two decades later, the stronger songs on there  (for me) still resonate, or resonate even more now.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #3041 on: May 17, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Great interview. Could have been half as long if he'd just stop saying "you know".

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3042 on: May 17, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
Regarding pt. 2 of Slater's Focus on Metal interview, I think one of the most revealing thing on there is not just that Slater wrote the songs, but that he gave up a piece of his publishing to the band that had nothing to do with the record (talking MC 2 specifically). I mean, Scott didn't even play on Mindcrime II, but he gets a piece of the publishing from the record, because Slater gave it to him. Say what you want about the quality of that record, but I don't know too many people that would do that, and have the integrity to think of the band before himself.

That's gone on to bite Slater in the ass, of course, because as he alluded to in the podcast, he hasn't been seeing any of the financial statements from Queensryche in quite a while, and is pretty confident (as he said in the podcast) that he is owed money by the Tates and QR. I believe him. I saw the last one. Suffice it to say, only DeGarmo (still) could make a living off his publishing (not a rock star life, but enough per month to live on). Everyone else literally needs every dime of it to make ends meet.

So the fact that not only has Slater NOT seen the financials in recent times, but he allegedly is owed money, and he gave up some of his publishing to further the band, really makes it that much worse. Particularly since according to Slater, he hasn't spoken to the Tates in years, and they only call him when they need something.

I also thought the apology to Ty Tabor was a good one. It wasn't Slater's fault, as he said, Tabor contributed a solo to Frequency Unknown thinking it was for Tate's solo record. But the Tates apparently never told Tabor it was for that fake QR album. What a cluster. And for you Ty/King's X fans out there, Slater got an email back from Tabor already about it, and Ty appreciated the public apology. :)

But man, just wow, on every level. I'm glad Slater put his story out there. He left out some bits that aren't necessary, and he was...very even-keeled when he didn't need to be, which shows a lot. Suffice it to say, as many of you have said, Queensryche should have ended after HITNF, or had Geoff left after PL, which he was contemplating.

The publishing thing is crazy.  The band is getting paid for work that they didn't even do - not sure if that was a demand from the band at the time, or something that Slater was truly willing to do, but it's a very generous notion.  Based on the secrecy of writing and recording the record without contributions from the band members, I'm not surprised that he did give them some publishing.  My attitude would have been "if you want to get paid for publishing, you need to write the damn songs."  But since the band wasn't given that opportunity, he did throw them a nice bone since they were generally excluded from the process.

I also thought the other telling thing is that the band members live rather extravagant lifestyles, despite the changing financial times and economy.  That can help to explain why they play certain types of concerts, rather than slug it out on a bus for a month. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3043 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
Since it seems that HitHF have almost no love, I must say that I truly like the album. The only song on it that I don’t like is Hero (also Chasing the blue sky). Sure it isn’t at the same level of the EP to Promised Land run, but I’ll put just a bit below. Still very worth the Queensryche name IMO,which  I think it’s not the case for Tribe (and it’s the case for the Todd’s albums). I guess the bare bones production is really the biggest barrier to appreciate the album.
Get a life, the voice inside, saved, you, miles away, reach, hit the black and spool to me are really very very good songs!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3044 on: May 18, 2018, 03:30:53 AM »
Since it seems that HitHF have almost no love, I must say that I truly like the album. The only song on it that I don’t like is Hero (also Chasing the blue sky). Sure it isn’t at the same level of the EP to Promised Land run, but I’ll put just a bit below. Still very worth the Queensryche name IMO,which  I think it’s not the case for Tribe (and it’s the case for the Todd’s albums). I guess the bare bones production is really the biggest barrier to appreciate the album.
Get a life, the voice inside, saved, you, miles away, reach, hit the black and spool to me are really very very good songs!

You're not alone in your appreciation of Hear. I don't love the album, but I do enjoy giving it a listen on occasion. I disagree with you about Tribe, though. I think that it has some very good moments.

The album that I can't stand to listen to is Q2K. I've tried a few times over the years, but I can't find anything redeeming about that record.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again