Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695310 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2870 on: March 06, 2018, 09:01:53 AM »
If that bothers you, you're really gonna hate me after I listen to all the albums and probably put Promised Land under a lot of them.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #2871 on: March 06, 2018, 09:03:44 AM »
1. Mindcrime
=2. Empire 
=2. Rage For Order
=4. The Warning
=4. Promised Land
=4. Hear In The Now Frontier
=4. Tribe
8. Self Titled
9. Condition Human
10. Mindcrime II
11. Q2k

I don't own American Soldier (heard it via Spotify... boring as all hell) nor Dedicated To Chaos (heard it via, ahem, other means and it's utterly laughable) so I'm not ranking them. I don't regard Frequency Unknown as a QR album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2872 on: March 06, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »
If that bothers you, you're really gonna hate me after I listen to all the albums and probably put Promised Land under a lot of them.  :lol

:lol

No, see, I can understand that with PL. But MINDCRIME?! Freaking Mindcrime? C'mon now. Any Ryche fan worth his or her salt should have that puppy at least in the top 3.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2873 on: March 06, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
It has some good songs.  But to me, it is an overall immature concept that I feel I have grown out of.  So if I go strictly by how many songs I REALLY like, and how much I really like them, that is what my ranking reflects.

But my top 6 are VERY close, and there isn't really a dropoff until after that.  And that is a fairly small dropoff.  The next major dropoff is after #8.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2874 on: March 06, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »
Top Tier Perfect albums
Mindcrime
 Empire 
Rage For Order
 Promised Land

Very Solid but some weak moments

Tribe
 The Warning
 Hear In The Now Frontier
 Q2k

A few very good tracks but overall not great
Mindcrime II
Frequency Unknown
American Soldier
Dedicated to Choas

Don't consider it QR
Self Titled
Condition Human

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2875 on: March 06, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »
Top Tier Perfect albums
Mindcrime
 Empire 
Rage For Order
 Promised Land

Very Solid but some weak moments

Tribe
 The Warning
 Hear In The Now Frontier
 Q2k

A few very good tracks but overall not great
Mindcrime II
Frequency Unknown
American Soldier
Dedicated to Choas

Don't consider it QR
Self Titled
Condition Human

I want to add

I think I am defiantly biased. I should have said I don't care to listen to them because they are not Geoff, but to be fair about it either all 3 of those albums should count or none of them should.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2876 on: March 06, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
What albums are you talking about?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2877 on: March 06, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
I want to add

I think I am defiantly biased. I should have said I don't care to listen to them because they are not Geoff, but to be fair about it either all 3 of those albums should count or none of them should.

Wilton/Jackson/Rockenfeld obtained the Queensryche name in the settlement of the lawsuit.  So it's fair to say that the two albums they released with Todd ARE considered Queensryche albums, and Frequency Unknown (of which none of those three members performed on) is not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2878 on: March 06, 2018, 11:42:50 AM »
^Pretty much that.  Except that they didn't "obtain" it.  The lawsuit clarified that they had owned it.  They never "lost" and then had to "obtain" it.  It was just a question of whether Tate also had a right to use it. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2879 on: March 06, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
I personally do not consider Frequency Unknown to be a QR album, but if you're going to talk legal...at the time of release, both QR self-titled and Frequency Unknown were released by parties that were allowed legally to perform and work as Queensryche. So technically, all of it is Queensryche.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2880 on: March 06, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
Yes.  Strictly speaking, from a purely legal point of view, that is correct.  But I think it is fair to make the argument that Tate had unjustly usurped the name, and the court merely allowed the status quo until it could be sorted out, so it really isn't "Queensryche" from an equitable point of view.  Or, to put it another way, Geoff Tate never really was Queensryche, and didn't have control of the Queensryche entity.  But he had the right to use the name for a limited period of time.  I view it kind of like this:  If I worked at McDonald's, but then I quit and opened up a restaurant serving low-quality meatloaf sandwiches, and I used the official McDonald's name and logo on my place, it wouldn't really be McDonald's, and everyone would know that.  Let's say McDonald's then sues me and says I have no right to use the name.  But trial isn't until March of 2019, and a court says, "This won't ultimately be decided until it goes to trial next year.  In the mean time, while we get it sorted out, Bosk can use the McDonald's name."  I would be allowed to represent myself as McDonald's.  But I'm really not.  And, again, everybody knows that.  People could just say, "well, there are two McDonald's right now."  And, legally, they would be correct.  But it's still not really the same thing.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2881 on: March 06, 2018, 12:06:53 PM »
Yes.  Strictly speaking, from a purely legal point of view, that is correct.  But I think it is fair to make the argument that Tate had unjustly usurped the name, and the court merely allowed the status quo until it could be sorted out, so it really isn't "Queensryche" from an equitable point of view.  Or, to put it another way, Geoff Tate never really was Queensryche, and didn't have control of the Queensryche entity.  But he had the right to use the name for a limited period of time.  I view it kind of like this:  If I worked at McDonald's, but then I quit and opened up a restaurant serving low-quality some very very tasty meatloaf sandwiches and some that are really terrible, and I used the official McDonald's name and logo on my place, it wouldn't really be McDonald's, and everyone would know that.  Let's say McDonald's then sues me and says I have no right to use the name.  But trial isn't until March of 2019, and a court says, "This won't ultimately be decided until it goes to trial next year.  In the mean time, while we get it sorted out, Bosk can use the McDonald's name."  I would be allowed to represent myself as McDonald's.  But I'm really not.  And, again, everybody knows that.  People could just say, "well, there are two McDonald's right now."  And, legally, they would be correct.  But it's still not really the same thing.

Slight correction needed to be made. :)

Offline MadWi

« Reply #2882 on: March 06, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »
Love the ryche.  My rankings.

1.  O:M
2. The Warning
3. Rage
4.  EP

5.empire
6.PL

7.  Q2k
8. Tribe
9. condition human
10. Queensryche
11. HITNF
12. O:M II
13. AS
14 DTC

Love 80s QR.  Honestly the remastered EP and Warning (love the version of The Lady Wore Black) albums get the most plays for me.  The LiveCrime movie was what really got me into QR though .  The livecrime cd sounds horrible and is kinda worthless imo.  Being from Madison Wi i always thought it was cool Livecrime was made here. Wonder why QR chose WI to make a LiveCrime instead of Seattle of a larger market?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2883 on: March 06, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »
Being from Madison Wi i always thought it was cool Livecrime was made here. Wonder why QR chose WI to make a LiveCrime instead of Seattle of a larger market?

I am not sure if I have ever seen them comment on it, but I always assumed it was done in Wisconsin because of timing. They had been on tour, so they were well rehearsed, perhaps the company they used to record it was based in Chicago or up in Wisconsin, so logistical reasons overall. But all that is just me thinking out loud. But that's always what I believed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2884 on: March 06, 2018, 05:28:29 PM »
1. Promised Land
2. Rage for Order
3. Operation: Mindcrime
4. Empire
5. The Warning
6. EP

I only ranked the albums worth ranking.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2885 on: March 06, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
Every time I do this its a bit different, but...

1. Rage For Order
2. Operation Mindcrime
3. Promised Land
4. EP
5. Condition Human
6. The Warning
7. Empire
8. Queensryche
9. Tribe

10. Q2K/American Soldier/Hear in the Now Frontier

11. Dedicated to Chaos. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2886 on: March 06, 2018, 06:15:51 PM »

1. Rage For Order
2. Operation Mindcrime
3. Promised Land
4. EP
5. Condition Human
6. The Warning
7. Empire
8. Queensryche
9. Tribe

10. Q2K/American Soldier/Hear in the Now Frontier

11. Dedicated to Chaos.

Where's Mindcrime 2?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2887 on: March 06, 2018, 10:27:12 PM »

1. Rage For Order
2. Operation Mindcrime
3. Promised Land
4. EP
5. Condition Human
6. The Warning
7. Empire
8. Queensryche
9. Tribe

10. Q2K/American Soldier/Hear in the Now Frontier/OMC2

11. Dedicated to Chaos.

Where's Mindcrime 2?

FIX'd   

EDIT - That group of albums is so overwhelmingly meh and overall bland, I sometimes can't tell them apart or remember which is which.

EDIT 2 - But to be fair, I could take the best of all those albums and probably make 1 pretty cool album.    Heck, "Right Side Of My Mind" probably should elevate Q2K above the others on the merit of that one amazing track alone.   Hard to believe a top 10 all time QR track came from such a boring album.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:46:25 PM by jammindude »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2888 on: March 07, 2018, 03:55:07 AM »
I remember downright hating CH when I first heard it (I believe I had it 10th originally) because I thought it was generic radio-rock with no soul or identity. But honestly, the more I listen to it, the higher it seems to climb in my ranking. I think it might even be better than Empire right now, maybe even Mindcrime!  :omg:  :hefdaddy

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2889 on: March 07, 2018, 04:26:15 AM »
I remember downright hating CH when I first heard it (I believe I had it 10th originally) because I thought it was generic radio-rock with no soul or identity. But honestly, the more I listen to it, the higher it seems to climb in my ranking. I think it might even be better than Empire right now, maybe even Mindcrime!  :omg:  :hefdaddy

Now don't get silly.  ;D

But yes, Condition Human is a very good record imo, not surpassing the classics but getting close. All the more shame on them that they don't feature it heaviliy in their live set.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2890 on: March 07, 2018, 04:27:18 AM »
Rankings eh..

1. Promised Land
2. Empire
3. Mindcrime
4. Rage for Order
5. First album, whatever it was called..

-La Torre albums are solid, but quite forgettable. Rest are not worth mentioning.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2891 on: March 07, 2018, 05:13:22 AM »

Now don't get silly.  ;D

But yes, Condition Human is a very good record imo, not surpassing the classics but getting close. All the more shame on them that they don't feature it heaviliy in their live set.

Yeah, maybe more than Mindcrime is a bit ridiculous, but I'd probably rank it 4th at the moment (below Mindcrime 2 but above Empire). Honestly I'm surprised that they could make something so great so late in their careers, & it makes me even more excited for QR14 :woot:

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2892 on: March 07, 2018, 08:18:06 AM »
Rankings?

O:M
Promised Land
Empire
Rage for Order
Condition Human
The Warning
S/T 2013
S/T
HITNF

Haven’t heard the rest and have no interest in doing so. Those first four are extremely solid, though, and will always be there, possibly in different orders as time goes on.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: March 07, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
  Heck, "Right Side Of My Mind" probably should elevate Q2K above the others on the merit of that one amazing track alone.   Hard to believe a top 10 all time QR track came from such a boring album.

First song written for Q2k, came out of the initial jam session between Wilton and Gray.

Personally, I think the mix and some of the choices to tame down the vocals really hurt Q2k. I enjoyed the demos of Liquid Sky, Sacred Ground, and Breakdown Room (its initial title) a lot more. And when the debuted the latter two and One Life at the Seattle '99 fan club event, they had a lot more energy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2894 on: March 07, 2018, 10:45:07 AM »
I just have to say that, while I can still enjoy some of the music, my general response to Queensryche nowadays is mostly indifference.  And the band really needs to recognize that that is the reaction of a significant portion of the fan base, and that that is precisely the reaction they have earned.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2895 on: March 07, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »
I just have to say that, while I can still enjoy some of the music, my general response to Queensryche nowadays is mostly indifference.  And the band really needs to recognize that that is the reaction of a significant portion of the fan base, and that that is precisely the reaction they have earned.

Sometimes this is me as well - especially between Tribe and when Geoff was kicked out.  I followed the saga when he did get kicked out, and my interest was sparked for a while (though not renewed to what it once was).  I enjoyed the two Todd albums and generally feel like I want them to do well.  If they come to town and it works for me, I'll see them live.  I just think they could have, and should, do things differently.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2896 on: March 09, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
I'm listening to Condition Human now, getting near the end. I've never heard anybody who sounds like Geoff Tate (except for Tate, obviously) and suddenly I hear Todd replicating him almost perfectly. Very bizarre, but cool. This is what should have come out instead of Promised Land. This is good. This is fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2897 on: March 09, 2018, 10:01:42 PM »
It's what should have come out instead of Hear in the Now Frontier.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2898 on: March 10, 2018, 01:32:28 AM »
I'm listening to Condition Human now, getting near the end. I've never heard anybody who sounds like Geoff Tate (except for Tate, obviously) and suddenly I hear Todd replicating him almost perfectly. Very bizarre, but cool. This is what should have come out instead of Promised Land. This is good. This is fun.

Speaking of Todd, I would have liked to hear a new Crimson Glory album with him as the singer. Too bad it didn't happen as Garden of Shadows was excellent.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2899 on: March 10, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
I'm listening to Condition Human now, getting near the end. I've never heard anybody who sounds like Geoff Tate (except for Tate, obviously) and suddenly I hear Todd replicating him almost perfectly.

Honestly, if I awoke from a coma that started in 1995, and had not known of the drama/changes, I would not have known it wasn't Tate singing.

Actually, I think my Rychecoma DID start in 1995.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: March 10, 2018, 06:15:30 PM »

Or Promised Land.  :rollin

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2901 on: March 10, 2018, 10:14:19 PM »

No. You may not care for it, but a lot of the fan base does. Whereas a much higher percentage did like HITNF.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: March 10, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »

No. You may not care for it, but a lot of the fan base does. Whereas a much higher percentage did like HITNF.

I recognize that too  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2903 on: March 10, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »

Are you seriously claiming that more QR fans like HITNF than Promised Land?   That's COMPLETE BS.   Promised Land may have been a tad controversial to many of the bandwagon fans....but to A LOT of people, Promised Land is a top 3 QR album.    NO ONE puts HITNF in the top 3......NO ONE.   

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2904 on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:09 AM »

Are you seriously claiming that more QR fans like HITNF than Promised Land?   That's COMPLETE BS.   Promised Land may have been a tad controversial to many of the bandwagon fans....but to A LOT of people, Promised Land is a top 3 QR album.    NO ONE puts HITNF in the top 3......NO ONE.

I think they meant to say "didn't" :lol