Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695114 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2555 on: July 16, 2017, 03:31:08 PM »
Well, this band fell off a cliff for me and the following album didn't help either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2556 on: July 16, 2017, 03:37:48 PM »
Have you tried to revisit the album? I know that has worked for me in the past. A good example for me is A Matter of Life and Death from maiden. I could care less about it for a long time, then someone was discussing it on this forum a few years ago, so I gave it another listen. Now it's one of my favorite records.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2557 on: July 16, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
Have you tried to revisit the album? 

For 20 years, man. I'll listen to it next week for the discog thread. Have already listened to the tracks I like already.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2558 on: July 16, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »
Have you tried to revisit the album? 

For 20 years, man. I'll listen to it next week for the discog thread. Have already listened to the tracks I like already.

It's nowhere near a go to album and there's too many songs that are just boring, and their first ever shit song (Disconnected, I'm looking at you , you pile of shite). There is good stuff there too though. It just took a long time to find it.
And I even hated the shitty folded over so it won't fit back in the slots of the jewel case booklet 😡

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2559 on: July 16, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
I actually dig Disconnected and find that it always gets stuck in my head, but I can definitely see why its not liked.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2560 on: July 17, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »
I am sure we will touch on this more in the discography thread, but Promised Land was a WTF at first for me.  It was not what I was expecting, but something about it kept drawing me back, and then it was like one day the light bulb went on and the whole thing just sounded amazing.

Yeah, we'll get to it soon. Next week. for the record, I totally get why some people don't like Promised Land. I didn't at first either...and then one night it hit me, and I never looked back.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2561 on: July 17, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »
Looks like Tate and QR said hello and had a little hug...

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-says-he-had-a-nice-little-reunion-with-queensryche-in-spain-calls-todd-la-torre-a-fantastic-singer/

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/geoff_tate_reacts_to_first_time_seeing_queensryche_perform_without_him.html

Nice to see him being supportive and complimentary of La Torre.

Let the "reunion" rumors commence.  :lol

Personally, I think the only way Tate and Queensryche reunite is if DeGarmo is on board and it is a final album and full tour together -- putting a bow on the whole thing, and bowing out on a positive note, with all five together. The earliest it would probably happen, in my opinion, is next year. But I think it's more likely for 2020, being Empire's 30th anniversary.

PURELY all guess work and speculation. But following the almighty dollar...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2562 on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »
Nice to see them finally at a place where they can at least speak civilly and professionally about one another. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2563 on: July 17, 2017, 01:13:47 PM »
Nice to see them finally at a place where they can at least speak civilly and professionally about one another.

Agreed. Really was cool that Tate was so complimentary about La Torre. He should be. It wasn't La Torre's fault what happened with Queensryche. And TLT has done an admirable job.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: July 17, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »
Nice to see Tate can be an adult about this now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2565 on: July 17, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »

Agreed. Really was cool that Tate was so complimentary about La Torre. He should be. It wasn't La Torre's fault what happened with Queensryche. And TLT has done an admirable job.

Yes.  But there were still some snarky lyrics on the s/t album that could potentially have been taken as La Torre throwing down the gauntlet. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2566 on: July 17, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »

Yes.  But there were still some snarky lyrics on the s/t album that could potentially have been taken as La Torre throwing down the gauntlet.

Well, sure. But lyrics can be interpreted a number of different ways, as you well know. Don't get me started, I'm being positive, remember?  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2567 on: July 17, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
No, I know.  I'm just saying, it could have caused bad blood.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2568 on: July 18, 2017, 03:18:07 AM »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2569 on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »
I am sure we will touch on this more in the discography thread, but Promised Land was a WTF at first for me.  It was not what I was expecting, but something about it kept drawing me back, and then it was like one day the light bulb went on and the whole thing just sounded amazing.

Yeah, we'll get to it soon. Next week. for the record, I totally get why some people don't like Promised Land. I didn't at first either...and then one night it hit me, and I never looked back.

PL was definitely different and it took a while to grow on me.  It's a great album.  HITNF was more a "WTF" for me and pretty much still is.  It was all downhill from there.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2570 on: July 24, 2017, 04:55:38 PM »
Promised Land registered with me from first listen and I loved and still love the album and would rank it top three of the original lineup output. HITNF I kind of forced myself , I think to subconsciously love it when it came out, but it's luster wore off and aside from three or four songs it rarely gets played these days. The tour for HITNF was great though. Nowhere near as good as the Promised Land tour though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2571 on: July 24, 2017, 11:52:28 PM »
This.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2572 on: July 25, 2017, 02:06:44 AM »

Worse than Tate's FU album title?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2573 on: July 25, 2017, 03:26:53 AM »

What's wrong with entitling an album "Foamy Unicorns"?  ???  :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2574 on: July 25, 2017, 07:13:14 AM »
Whip needs some cash - selling an amp used on the Promised Land recording.  Maybe it's time to make a payment to Tate.   :)

https://reverb.com/item/3759380-michael-wilton-of-queensryche-fender-twin-reverb-1963-black?utm_campaign=FBshare&utm_medium=FB&utm_source=FBshare

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: July 25, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »

What's wrong with entitling an album "Foamy Unicorns"?  ???  :biggrin:

B.Lee

:rollin

Whip needs some cash - selling an amp used on the Promised Land recording.  Maybe it's time to make a payment to Tate.   :)

https://reverb.com/item/3759380-michael-wilton-of-queensryche-fender-twin-reverb-1963-black?utm_campaign=FBshare&utm_medium=FB&utm_source=FBshare

I saw that. In all seriousness, earlier this summer he and his wife sold their long-time home they bought in 1992.. Both of their kids have gotten married and moved out, so they were downsizing. Whip is a gear hoarder (he'd be the first to tell you that - lol), so he probably just doesn't have space to keep all this stuff. Wilton literally kept every piece of gear he ever used. His guitar collection is ridiculous.  :lol

That WAS pretty bad.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2576 on: July 25, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »

I saw that. In all seriousness, earlier this summer he and his wife sold their long-time home they bought in 1992.. Both of their kids have gotten married and moved out, so they were downsizing. Whip is a gear hoarder (he'd be the first to tell you that - lol), so he probably just doesn't have space to keep all this stuff. Wilton literally kept every piece of gear he ever used. His guitar collection is ridiculous.  :lol

That's what I truly figured - it seems that more musicians are starting to sell off some unused equipment (like Jon Schaffer ditching a bunch of guitars to finance the Iced Earth HQ building) that they no longer need.  I get not having the space, since my CD collection is now boxed up in my basement after running out of room in my house. 

Hopefully some fan with some cash can enjoy owning something that was used to record Promised Land. 

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2577 on: July 28, 2017, 12:19:45 PM »
As the thread title suggests.... and applies now, VERY stoked for the upcoming new album that is in progress. Queensryche 2013 and Condition Human were both outstanding albums and IMO better from a "complete album" standpoint than anything since Promised Land. Can't wait to hear what is next on the third chapter of this lineup. Todd seems to be getting better and better and it is also evidenced in the live shows.
Also very interested in hearing Todd's solo album which hopefully will be out next year. The wait sucks, hoping for an early 2018 release date for the new Queensryche album  :metal 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2578 on: July 28, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »

That's what I truly figured - it seems that more musicians are starting to sell off some unused equipment (like Jon Schaffer ditching a bunch of guitars to finance the Iced Earth HQ building) that they no longer need.  I get not having the space, since my CD collection is now boxed up in my basement after running out of room in my house. 

Hopefully some fan with some cash can enjoy owning something that was used to record Promised Land.

Yup, that's all it likely is. Pretty smart on Wilton's part. Rockenfield has sold drum kits for years for tidy sums. What I thought was really cool (not being a musician) is some of the artwork he had packed away from The Warning. Did you see the cover art ideas the people that run their FB posted? If not, check it out, it's also on AnybodyListening.net:

https://anybodylistening.net/thewarning.html (scroll down)

Some really weird art. To be honest, I don't like any of it, including the final album cover. It all looks a bit cheesy to me. I think out of all if it, I prefer the one with the grim reaper guy against the mountains with the nighttime sky/stars, and the final album cover the best.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2579 on: July 28, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
If I went into a coma in 1995, and woke up after Todd Joined the band, listening wise, I would've never known it was a different guy.

More like 2007 for me  :rollin but I did continue to go the live shows. But record wise absolutely, not much to get excited about following Tribe until Todd joined. OM II was a letdown of grand proportions. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2580 on: July 28, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »
I love that Scott auctioned off the Rising West kit.  If I had that kind of discretionary cash, that is something I would have pounced on.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2581 on: July 28, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
Same here. Would have looked good in my rec room  :sad:

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2582 on: July 28, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
I love that Scott auctioned off the Rising West kit.  If I had that kind of discretionary cash, that is something I would have pounced on.

He's auctioned off a bunch of stuff. His kit from Live in Tokyo, the RW kit, a few others too. I do believe he auctioned off Building Empires (with the chains) as well. Not entirely sure, but I think so.

I think I remember hearing from Jason Slater that doing so hurt Scott with the drum companies a bit -- them getting a bit peeved that the stuff they gave him is being sold off. I'm not sure in music, but I do know in regard to a couple of different sports, if you're endorsed by a company, they usually make you agree not to sell off what they give you -- you can donate it, give it as a gift, but not sell. It may be different in music.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2583 on: July 28, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »
Of everything he has had over the years, the only ones I would be interested in would be the RW kit and the Empire kit (if he did auction that one).  But realistically, there's nowhere I could put the Empire kit because of its size, so...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2584 on: July 28, 2017, 01:35:15 PM »
...or the Warning kit. That and Empire would look great in my basement.

I'm actually not familiar with the Rising West kit.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2586 on: July 28, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
Cool, thank you.

I love looking at drumsets.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2587 on: July 28, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »

Bosk, as a consolation, these are available!

https://bravewords.com/news/sebastian-bach-selling-stage-worn-boots

:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2588 on: July 28, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
:lol  Yeah, I'll pass.  I like Bas well enough, but I don't have a need for someone else's worn out boots.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2589 on: July 28, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »
As Nicko says, "Fuck my old boots." :lol