Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695961 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2065 on: January 26, 2016, 02:54:06 PM »
There's a few moments on Live Evolution if I remember where Tate could have done overdubs but were left it, so I don't think there's too much in that one at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2066 on: January 27, 2016, 12:47:24 AM »
What I remember of Live Revolution is that the songs from the early period were very well performed, while the later work left me with 'meh'.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:43 AM »
Yeah they did do a great job with the early songs

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2068 on: January 27, 2016, 04:59:18 AM »
They really do.  Roads to Madness was always a fav on that, even though it's only the first half.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2069 on: January 27, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »
Yeah, even the dialed-back versions of QOTR and The Lady Wore Black were really good.  Overall, despite the weird vibe, those shows came off well, for the most part.  Even the Q2K songs came off well, IMO.  The only ones that I felt were lacking were:
-The Mindcrime songs:  They were played well.  But they seemed to lack the energy that those songs command, and I was honestly bored.  Plus, they had been played to death, even back then.
-London:  Even though a small part of the song, Geoff going for and completely cracking and missing the vocal part after the solo destroyed that song.  Yeah, it is only one section.  But it is the climax of the song, and me missed it SO badly.  It's a shame, because it could have been really powerful. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: January 27, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »
I liked that version of London for some reason.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2071 on: January 27, 2016, 07:56:06 PM »
Someone should have stole Kelly Grays wah pedal before the show, but ya, Live Evolution is pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:44:28 PM by T-ski »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: January 27, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Actually, that was what was overdubbed quite a bit, Kelly's shit solos. Watch Jet City Woman for instance.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2073 on: January 27, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »
Actually, that was what was overdubbed quite a bit, Kelly's shit solos. Watch Jet City Woman for instance.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2074 on: January 27, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
Wow, that's perfect.  :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2075 on: January 27, 2016, 09:22:04 PM »
Has anybody had a chance to listen to the bonus track on the Condition Human limited esition 7" vinyl?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2076 on: January 27, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »
They are pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2077 on: January 28, 2016, 03:09:15 AM »
Still haven't heard them. I'm still thinking they might release a deluxe edition of CH down the road

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: January 28, 2016, 04:06:30 AM »
Maybe a tour edition with all bonus tracks and full live cd and full live dvd of the same show.  Now that's something.  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: January 28, 2016, 08:15:40 AM »
Maybe a tour edition with all bonus tracks and full live cd and full live dvd of the same show.  Now that's something.  :metal

That would get my money

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2080 on: January 28, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »

That would get my money

I hope they release something like this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: January 28, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
 :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2082 on: January 28, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
Kelly gray was certainly shit. The auto way is the last refuge of the shit guitarist. If you're going to use it at least play the thing, don't just leave it on.

CDG to Kelly gray was one serious downtrade.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2083 on: February 16, 2016, 10:16:52 PM »
So currently watching Tate... He says they're gonna play a few songs off a new album. (Waits for cheers that don't come) it's part of a trilogy (still no cheers). I said, it's part of a TRILOGY! (3 people cheer)   ??? :facepalm:

Edit: if there is a better thread for this, please move. I searched for Tate and this was the best thread I could find lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: February 16, 2016, 10:21:02 PM »
try this one  .  At least a trilogy of people cheered the trilogy. :lol

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36090.700
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2085 on: February 16, 2016, 10:29:59 PM »
Lol!! Thanks for the thread help.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: February 17, 2016, 04:09:36 AM »
New album is still incredible.  Ryche that is, not Tate.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: February 17, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »
New album is still incredible.  Ryche that is, not Tate.

It's fantastic!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2088 on: February 17, 2016, 08:24:23 AM »
If not for Symphony X, it would easily be my 2015 album of the year.  I hate to say it, but if The Astonishing had come out in 2015, I might rank it as #3 behind Symphony X and Queensryche.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2089 on: February 17, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »
I'm still amazed that they were able to come back to form like that. I had very serious doubts. Now I'm hoping that they will keep it up for a few more years and records.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2090 on: February 17, 2016, 08:34:23 AM »
I thought both of the post-Tate albums were excellent.  So clearly, they can write really good songs with this lineup.  It's just a shame the band and/or management either do not seem to have a clue about gaining serious momentum with the fan base, or simply do not care about it.  But, hey, if they are happy with how things are going and can continue to put out music of this quality, I can't complain too loudly. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2091 on: February 17, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »
Listening to the album this morning, the one minor annoyance I have with this era of the band is repeated call-backs to other song lyrics.  I mean, the "a revolution calls" lyric in Where Dreams Go To Die was not only appropriate, but pretty brilliant, IMO.  And I don't overly mind the "revolution calling" lyric in Guardian.  But there are 2-3 other Queensryche lyrical callbacks, and the lyrical variants on "moonlit skies," "blood red skies," etc. on Condition Human that mimics Jon Arch's phrasing on Stained Glass Skies from the most recent Arch/Matheos album.  I dunno...since I don't mind similar callbacks from Dream Theater, maybe I am being a bit hypocritical.  But Dream Theater has always done that, so it is an established hallmark of their style.  With Queensryche, having so many callbacks on only two albums' worth of material just feels...like maybe they are using it as a crutch instead of being able to creatively forge their own path.  Does that make any sense, or am I being overly critical?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: February 17, 2016, 03:27:59 PM »
If not for Symphony X, it would easily be my 2015 album of the year.  I hate to say it, but if The Astonishing had come out in 2015, I might rank it as #3 behind Symphony X and Queensryche.

Same. Symphony X and Queensryche were 1a and 1b for me; QR just a hair behind. To me, Underworld is a perfect metal album. Still playing both constantly.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2093 on: February 18, 2016, 06:32:31 AM »
But it's "Evolution calling" in Guardian, so there's a big difference.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2094 on: February 18, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
But it's "Evolution calling" in Guardian, so there's a big difference.  :biggrin:

It is?  huh.

But there are 2-3 other Queensryche lyrical callbacks, and the lyrical variants on "moonlit skies," "blood red skies," etc. on Condition Human that mimics Jon Arch's phrasing on Stained Glass Skies from the most recent Arch/Matheos album. 

Interesting indeed.  I would never have picked it but can totally hear what you're saying.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2095 on: February 19, 2016, 08:30:14 AM »
I could be completely reaching on that last one.  But given the other blatant callbacks, it just stands out as yet another example.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2096 on: March 22, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »
I think it's a good album and quite a bit better than the previous self titled.  Queensryche has been through the mill and they've come out of it quite nicely.  The material is exactly what I expect from a Queensryche album and that's what bands should do, give the fans what they expect.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2097 on: March 22, 2016, 12:58:10 PM »
I think it's a good album and quite a bit better than the previous self titled.  Queensryche has been through the mill and they've come out of it quite nicely.  The material is exactly what I expect from a Queensryche album and that's what bands should do, give the fans what they expect.

I disagree with the last statement. I don't think bands exist purely for their fans. Bands should make the music they want to. Whether what they make is what the fans want or not doesn't matter. (It may matter in terms of $$$, but not necessarily in terms of being a band)

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2098 on: March 22, 2016, 01:07:54 PM »

I find it comforting that all three bands are still great.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2099 on: March 22, 2016, 02:11:17 PM »

I disagree with the last statement. I don't think bands exist purely for their fans. Bands should make the music they want to. Whether what they make is what the fans want or not doesn't matter. (It may matter in terms of $$$, but not necessarily in terms of being a band)

I didn't say "existing purely for fans".  I said bands should give the fans what they expect.  The same way they construct certain setlists based on feedback they get from the fans.  After all, we are paying for the albums and the tickets.  Sure, bands are free to do whatever they want.  But, if they venture too far from what the fans want (especially long time fans), then it will hurt them and the fans as well.  Queensryche is definitely thinking about their fans and not just about themselves.  It's very evident in the style of music on this latest release.  It sounds like Queensryche.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White