Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695844 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2030 on: January 21, 2016, 02:29:21 AM »
Maybe hearing Todd sing some later day Tate lead QR songs might give them a new perspective and make them more enjoyable.  Maybe lol.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2031 on: January 21, 2016, 05:29:35 AM »
Maybe, but I don't think they can be improved that much. For me it's not only Tate's deteriorating voice but the lackluster songs/songwriting that makes the later Queensryche so bad.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2032 on: January 21, 2016, 05:35:23 AM »
Maybe hearing Todd sing some later day Tate lead QR songs might give them a new perspective and make them more enjoyable.  Maybe lol.

Add in some later day stage gear for Todd and I will be there for comedy value  :metal   otherwise........no. :)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2033 on: January 21, 2016, 05:43:17 AM »
Aaaghh!!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2035 on: January 21, 2016, 08:03:34 AM »
Yeah, for most of the shows, they played Walk In The Shadows, Roads To Madness, all of Mindcrime, and a good chunk of Empire (Best I Can, The Thin Line, Jet City Woman, Empire, Resistance, Silent Lucidity).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2036 on: January 21, 2016, 08:46:44 AM »

Add in some later day stage gear for Todd and I will be there for comedy value  :metal   otherwise........no. :)

Everytime I convince myself that this never happend someone posts a damn picture.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2037 on: January 21, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »

Everytime I convince myself that this never happend someone posts a damn picture.

Didn't Jim Morrison get AREESTED for doing something like THIS???
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2038 on: January 21, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »

"Everytime I try to leave it behind me, I see something that reminds me..."
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2039 on: January 25, 2016, 07:59:09 AM »
This past Friday, I got my first chance to see QR with Todd singing.  What a show!  I know the Mindcrime/Empire days are long gone.  But, these guys kicked major @ss!  Todd was spot on as was the rest of the band.  "Queen of the Reich" sounded absolutely amazing.  And, no "Silent Lucidity"!   :tup

As a side note, the FIFTH and final opening band, Metyl, covered "Pull Me Under" and actually did a pretty cool job.  After seeing 3 of the first 4 bands (who were not good), and with their name being Metyl, I wasn't really holding out much hope.  Then this 5-piece comes out with a female drummer and bassist and they were very enjoyable.  That being said, there should never be 5 opening bands at a club show.  It should've been that final opener with a little longer of a set and QR with an additional 30-40 minutes.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2040 on: January 25, 2016, 08:01:13 AM »
FWIW, Queensryche have two opening bands, the rest were local add ons. Gotta bitch to your local promoter about those.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2041 on: January 25, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
FWIW, Queensryche have two opening bands, the rest were local add ons. Gotta bitch to your local promoter about those.
Yeah, I know.  I'm used to that by now.  But, 5 bands before the headliner is ridiculous.  The difference between those 2 openers and the other 3 bands was night and day.  Just the way that they carried themselves made that obvious.  But, even for DT's club days when I'd see them at the Birch Hill, there weren't that many bands.

QR went on at 10:40PM.  By the time they were done and people were leaving, the snowfall had already made the roads pretty sh*tty.  At least QR put on a great show.  Managed to walk away with a Michael Wilton guitar pick and shredded Scott Rockenfield drumstick, too.   :biggrin:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2042 on: January 25, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »
Yeah, for most of the shows, they played Walk In The Shadows, Roads To Madness, all of Mindcrime, and a good chunk of Empire (Best I Can, The Thin Line, Jet City Woman, Empire, Resistance, Silent Lucidity).

That's almost the exact set they played when I saw them touring with Dream Theater and Fates Warning.  It was the year that Nick D'Virgilio was filling in on drums for Fates Warning while they were out on tour.  It was also pretty close to the end for Tate with Queensryche and his performance was abysmal that night.  The audience were friendly at first, but after a couple of tracks where he sang practically nothing they started to turn on him.  The only thing he did well on that particular night -as far as I could see- was he avoided delivering any notes that weren't on pitch.  He just basically didn't sing about 90% of the notes in the contralto and up vocal ranges.  He'd move the microphone away from his mouth for those notes and you'd hear nothing or maybe some kind of grunt where the word should have been.  I guess that's better than coming up blatantly flat on all of them, which is clearly why he chose not to sing them.  Mrs. NoseHair was with me that night and she hates this kind of music.  She was just there being the good wife because Mr. NoseHair goes to her fucking Jimmy Buffet concerts every year.  :facepalm:    :rollin

Anyway, about 1/3 of the way through the set she leans in and says (i'm paraphrasing here, it was a few years ago):  He's awful cocky for a guy who can't sing any of the high notes in his own songs!

This was from a person who probably couldn't name a single Queensryche song if her life depended on it.  The only reason she even knew that he was avoiding high notes was because I told her.  She said a couple of the songs sounded "vaguely familiar" to her, but she wasn't familiar with QR and knew nothing of the Geoff Tate...situation, yet within about 20 minutes of performing she knew Tate was a tool. [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
The two new albums with the new vocalist are the best albums they've released since Empire.  So many wasted years.  So much wasted potential.  I would not be one bit surprised to see this band find their way back to the top of the rock radio charts.  If they continue along the trajectory they're on now I think they'll release the Todd La Torre version of "Empire" (under a different title, of course) either with their next album or the one after that.

They should call it "Fallen Empire"

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2043 on: January 25, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
The two new albums with the new vocalist are the best albums they've released since Empire.  So many wasted years.  So much wasted potential.

So much this. Makes you wonder what could have been.

And I hope you're right with your predictions.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2044 on: January 25, 2016, 04:31:21 PM »

That's almost the exact set they played when I saw them touring with Dream Theater and Fates Warning.  It was the year that Nick D'Virgilio was filling in on drums for Fates Warning while they were out on tour.  It was also pretty close to the end for Tate with Queensryche and his performance was abysmal that night.  The audience were friendly at first, but after a couple of tracks where he sang practically nothing they started to turn on him.  The only thing he did well on that particular night -as far as I could see- was he avoided delivering any notes that weren't on pitch.  He just basically didn't sing about 90% of the notes in the contralto and up vocal ranges.  He'd move the microphone away from his mouth for those notes and you'd hear nothing or maybe some kind of grunt where the word should have been.  I guess that's better than coming up blatantly flat on all of them, which is clearly why he chose not to sing them.  Mrs. NoseHair was with me that night and she hates this kind of music.  She was just there being the good wife because Mr. NoseHair goes to her fucking Jimmy Buffet concerts every year.  :facepalm:    :rollin

Anyway, about 1/3 of the way through the set she leans in and says (i'm paraphrasing here, it was a few years ago):  He's awful cocky for a guy who can't sing any of the high notes in his own songs!

This was from a person who probably couldn't name a single Queensryche song if her life depended on it.  The only reason she even knew that he was avoiding high notes was because I told her.  She said a couple of the songs sounded "vaguely familiar" to her, but she wasn't familiar with QR and knew nothing of the Geoff Tate...situation, yet within about 20 minutes of performing she knew Tate was a tool. [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
The two new albums with the new vocalist are the best albums they've released since Empire.  So many wasted years.  So much wasted potential.  I would not be one bit surprised to see this band find their way back to the top of the rock radio charts.  If they continue along the trajectory they're on now I think they'll release the Todd La Torre version of "Empire" (under a different title, of course) either with their next album or the one after that.

They should call it "Fallen Empire"

Aw, c'mon! Jimmy buffet isn't THAT bad! He has at least a FEW good songs, and I get the feeling that those "parrot-heads" really know how to have a good TIME!

Were you talking about the Tribe tour? One or two other people (Bosk, at least) have mentioned how bad Tate's sound was on that tour. But judging form The Art of Live, I would have to say that a lot of the problems stem form a crappy sound-system, and some spots where Eddie Jackson and Mike Stone(?) should have also been singing, but they just kind of leave Geoff hanging, so the vocals sound kind of dry, for lack of a better way of saying it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2045 on: January 25, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »
Not just "dry," but off key as well.  There were some shows where he sounded decent.  But there were a lot of shows where he sounded just terrible.  Very hit and miss.  He was much better on the Take Cover tour.  But very inconsistent on the full Tribe tour and the co-headlining tour with DT.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2046 on: January 25, 2016, 04:38:40 PM »
I really still enjoy the Live Evolution show.  Great DVD and Tate sounds decent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: January 25, 2016, 05:01:04 PM »
I agree about Live Evolution. When I first heard it, I noticed a drop in vocals but his vocals were still very solid overall

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: January 25, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
Tate doesn't have the range on a lot of the songs, but he still has a lot of passion in his voice and it shows on a lot of the songs.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2049 on: January 25, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
I noticed the drop in range as well, and he didn't even bother with any kind of scream at the start of QOTR

Great live album overall!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2050 on: January 25, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
I agree that LE is much better-sounding than TAoL, but it seems that a lot of the blame should go to an inferior recording, and like I've already said, an inferior sound system.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2051 on: January 25, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »
Yes, but as someone who was at the Live Evolution shows and saw them several times on the Tribe tours (and that time was also heavily bootlegged), the issue with Tate's singing is not the equipment.  The issue is Tate's singing

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: January 25, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
And I saw QR in the fall of 2005 just before OM2 and Tate sounded great. They we're opening for Priest quite a bit during that time and playing heavier obscure material. The clips of Tate all sounded great too. It's seems after that he went downhill vocally and never turned it around

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: January 25, 2016, 05:29:57 PM »
I saw them on the Mindcrime 2 tour also and it was a good show.  Tate sounded fine, but it's always different live.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: January 25, 2016, 05:33:52 PM »
I saw them on the Mindcrime 2 tour also and it was a good show.  Tate sounded fine, but it's always different live.

Ditto - don't have any memories of poor vocals from that time.  That was the tour where they played 1+ 2 pretty much in their entirety and a little encore of a few classics if I remember right.  I went and had a few drinks during the "2" section.

The only other memory I have is how Jackson/Wilton were basically onstage trees .........zero stage presence , but to be fair they were probably forcing themselves to get on stage with Tate at that point.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: January 25, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »

Ditto - don't have any memories of poor vocals from that time.  That was the tour where they played 1+ 2 pretty much in their entirety and a little encore of a few classics if I remember right.  I went and had a few drinks during the "2" section.

The only other memory I have is how Jackson/Wilton were basically onstage trees .........zero stage presence , but to be fair they were probably forcing themselves to get on stage with Tate at that point.

That't the tour.  The quality certainly dropped during the Mincrime 2 stuff and a lot of the crowd did the same thing Brent.  Then everyone came back for the excellent encores.  Jackson and Wilton were pretty much the same.  It was the Tate show basically from what I remember.  It was still a decent show though.

Mike Stone was trying to be the lead show guy too, but his playing was shit that night and he kept having audio problems with his guitar.  Whip just standing back owning his leads though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2056 on: January 25, 2016, 06:04:57 PM »
Well, they were probably less into it because nothing they wrote actually ended up on the album, and most of what was recorded wasn't them either.  So I can understand them being less than enthusiastic during the live presentation of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: January 25, 2016, 06:13:39 PM »
Well, yeah.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2058 on: January 25, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
I wonder what made MindCrime at the Moore as good as it is. Someone must have put some pressure on them to "be on their best behavior because the cameras will be ROLLING-or ELSE!"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
I thought Mindcrime at the Moore was sub par

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2060 on: January 25, 2016, 10:59:58 PM »
I wouldn't call it sub-par. But while the arrangements on some of the songs do leave something to be desired, you've got to admit that sound-wise it s several cuts above The Art of Live.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2061 on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »
You DO know it was heavily overdubbed, right?  Especially the vocals.  Tate was very sick and could barely sing, unfortunately.  From what I heard, he was decent most of that tour, but got really sick just before.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2062 on: January 26, 2016, 12:29:07 AM »
The Art Of Live suffers not only from bad sound but from off-key singing. As a bootleg this would be okay but as an official live release? No!

Mindcrime at the Moore is not really completely live, apart from the vocals I read somewhere that Slater overdubbed a lot of the bass playing, but don't know if it's true.

Live Evolution is a great concert, does anyone know if it's tampered with in the studio?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2063 on: January 26, 2016, 03:28:14 AM »
Live Evolution is a great concert, does anyone know if it's tampered with in the studio?

The DVD looks quite on point.

Live Evolution >>> The Art of Live >>> Mindcrime at the Moore.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2064 on: January 26, 2016, 08:23:07 AM »

I do remember hearing that there were some fixes, but that they were relatively minor.  I mean, ALL live releases have some post-production fixes.  I don't recall anything glaring on Live Evolution.  In fact, I remember when I bought it, really anticipating hearing London to see how they fixed Geoff's major vocal crack...and being shocked that they left it alone.