Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695550 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #1995 on: January 13, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »
Wish sets IMO should still be somewhat realistic.

jammindude, that's a fucking cool set.

Thank you.   I kindof made it on the fly, but after I was done, I said..."DAMN!  That's actually a REALLY COOL SET!!"   I wanna send it to the band now. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #1996 on: January 13, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »
I don't know if that setlist is just a dream set, but there is not way they would play a set anywhere close to that.

Why NOT???
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #1997 on: January 13, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »
If I'm wishlisting a QR set...

1. 9:28 AM - I Am I
2. Speak
3. The Whisper
4. Spore
5. Hellfire
6. Neue Regel
7. Damaged
8. Revolution Calling
9. Operation Mindcrime
10. The Mission
11. Suite Sister Mary
12. A World Without
13. Guardian
14. Eye 9
15. NM 156
16. Screaming in Digital
17. The Right Side of My Mind
18. The Aftermath/Condition Human

Encore

Queen of the Reich
Empire
Take Hold of the Flame

EDIT:  I suppose in some ways, this is still a bit "safe"...there's only 6 new songs.   But it seems both somewhat realistic and still awesome.

How LONG would this show be?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1998 on: January 14, 2016, 08:18:57 AM »
@chaossystem:  Not a bad set list.  I don't think it is realistic either because it has WAY too much new material (not too much for the fans, but too much in terms of being way out of proportion to what they have been playing).  But I like it.  If they played that, I would be pretty happy.  I especially like the inclusion of The Right Side of My Mind and the Mindcrime II songs.  Nightrider is an interesting addition.  I could be mistaken, but I think they have done that one with Todd.

As far as the last few Tate albums, my opinion differs slightly from yours.  I found NOTHING on D2C that I could even listen to a second time after my first listen to that disk.  I couldn't find 5 songs I like if I tried.  The ones before that are a different story.  Every other album (minus the covers album and Q2K) had a lot of good music that was only ruined by Tate's "singing," and a handful of duds.  Heck, if Tate had done a halfway decent job with the vocals on American Soldier, I would easily hold that one up there with the classics even in spite of the band being shut out of the writing.  Overall, Slater actually did a good job with the music on Mindcrime II and American Soldier.  It's a shame Tate leaned too heavily on him and shut the rest of the band out.

@jammindude:  I'd take that in a heartbeat.  That's a good set right there.  And pretty realistic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: January 14, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »
Does anyone actually think that the band will ever play any material from Hear in the Now Frontier- OM2?  American Soldier and DTC will never be played by the band again, that's a pretty safe bet.  But maybe something from those other four albums might make the set at some point. Right Side would be very cool to hear.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2000 on: January 14, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »

2. Speak
3. The Whisper
4. Spore
5. Hellfire
6. Neue Regel
7. Damaged
8. Revolution Calling
9. Operation Mindcrime
10. The Mission
11. Suite Sister Mary
12. A World Without
13. Guardian
14. Eye 9
15. NM 156
16. Screaming in Digital

Encore

Queen of the Reich
Empire
Take Hold of the Flame

EDIT:  I suppose in some ways, this is still a bit "safe"...there's only 6 new songs.   But it seems both somewhat realistic and still awesome.

Not as long as most Dream Theater sets, but certainly a bit longer than most QR sets. Maybe 2hrs?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2001 on: January 14, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
Does anyone actually think that the band will ever play any material from Hear in the Now Frontier- OM2?  American Soldier and DTC will never be played by the band again, that's a pretty safe bet.  But maybe something from those other four albums might make the set at some point. Right Side would be very cool to hear.
Why are you making a distinction between Mindcrime II and American Soldier?  What is different in your mind that makes you think they mind consider one and not the other?  Just curious.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2002 on: January 14, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
@chaossystem:  Not a bad set list.  I don't think it is realistic either because it has WAY too much new material (not too much for the fans, but too much in terms of being way out of proportion to what they have been playing).  But I like it.  If they played that, I would be pretty happy.  I especially like the inclusion of The Right Side of My Mind and the Mindcrime II songs.  Nightrider is an interesting addition.  I could be mistaken, but I think they have done that one with Todd.

As far as the last few Tate albums, my opinion differs slightly from yours.  I found NOTHING on D2C that I could even listen to a second time after my first listen to that disk.  I couldn't find 5 songs I like if I tried.  The ones before that are a different story.  Every other album (minus the covers album and Q2K) had a lot of good music that was only ruined by Tate's "singing," and a handful of duds.  Heck, if Tate had done a halfway decent job with the vocals on American Soldier, I would easily hold that one up there with the classics even in spite of the band being shut out of the writing.  Overall, Slater actually did a good job with the music on Mindcrime II and American Soldier.  It's a shame Tate leaned too heavily on him and shut the rest of the band out.

@jammindude:  I'd take that in a heartbeat.  That's a good set right there.  And pretty realistic.

I actually like SIX of the songs from DtC, including Hot Spot Junkie, Retail Therapy, and At the Edge.

Maybe your right about almost half of (my idea for) the show being from the last two albums, but bands do that sometimes when they have major personnel changes. It's good to see that guitarist Parker Lundgren has remained so far. Maybe they've finally settled on a stable line-up.

I like maybe FOUR of the Take Cover songs: The Pink Floyd, Police, Peter Gabriel and Black Sabbath. The U2 song COULD have been great, but Tate ruined the end part of it.

I think American Soldier is pretty good overall, and I especially like Sliver and the Killer. I think either of those songs would probably sound pretty good if played by the current version of QR, but AS and DtC were pretty much Tate-driven projects, so that's why I didn't include any of those songs in my idea.

Q2K will always have a special place in my heart because that tour was the only time I was able to go see QR live. They played at least four or five of those songs, and I thought they sounded fine. The version of Bullet the blue Sky that they played at that show was MUCH better than one that's on the Take Cover album.

A lot of people seem to HATE Kelly Gray, but I don't recall hearing anything at that show that sounded like he "ruined" any of the songs.

I thought most of the songs on MindCrime 2 were pretty good, and Tribe was okay, but while I didn't see (or would that be "HEAR?") any major problems with Geoff Tate's voice, musically it was a little bland and watered-down.

Speaking of voices, before I forget, I want to say that the one major complaint that I have about Todd Latorre is that he doesn't seem to be able to sing in the "lower registers" like GT can or could; such as the line "tear it all down / build it up again-another empire!"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:55:38 PM by chaossystem »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2003 on: January 14, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »
The Q2K songs were definitely better live than in studio.  There are a few that I thought were decent on that album, but other than maybe the one you mentioned (Right Side), I wouldn't really care to see any of them live again. 

Tribe was the opposite.  Tate sounded fine on the album, but was HORRIBLE on that tour, even on the songs that are relatively easy to sing.  That was a hit/miss album.  A handful of really great songs, and a bunch of dreck.  If you could take the four good songs from that album, the good songs from Q2K, and add in Justified and the original version of Hostage, you would actually have a pretty good album.  Or better yet, just tack those 4 good songs and justified onto the end of the S/T album (even though that is completely anachronistic).  :)

As far as Todd's voice, yeah, he doesn't have the range Tate once had.  But then again, who does?  He still does a great job and works with the skills he has, which are still considerable. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2004 on: January 14, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »
I preferred Q2k to Tribe, although that's not saying much. Thought Tribe was Tripe.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: January 14, 2016, 08:49:16 PM »
Why are you making a distinction between Mindcrime II and American Soldier?  What is different in your mind that makes you think they mind consider one and not the other?  Just curious.

Maybe I could have extended it to American Soldier, but no way would they play anything from DTC again (I really hope not).  I just stopped at AS because its during that time when I started to really hear there were problems and tensions within the band.  I figured there may just be a bad taste with the three remaining members starting at that point.  But who knows when things started really getting bad within the band.  Regardless, QR has released some great tunes from 1997-2009 that shouldn't be completely forgotten about.  Maybe the band can take a survey or something about which obscure songs to play in the future.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: January 14, 2016, 11:10:23 PM »
I preferred Q2k to Tribe, although that's not saying much. Thought Tribe was Tripe.

I really like Tribe.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2007 on: January 15, 2016, 12:49:41 AM »
I don't think they will ever play anything from HITNF to DTC, they aren't exactly fan favorites and the later ones are Tate solo efforts under the QR name. Why would they play something from OM2 when they weren't really involved in the writing and allegedly even in the recording?

Looking at the set lists they seem to think that the fans want to hear mostly the old/classic tunes with a good singer again, and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing it smells of nostalgia act and I don't know if a (former leading) progressive metal act should be content with that. They are able to write good songs again so they should go out there and show the world that Queensryche matters again and that the later Tate years where just a big misunderstanding.

PS: Q2K isn't that bad but Tribe is shit
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: January 15, 2016, 03:17:19 AM »
I dropped one of my favourite bands very quickly after HITNF (and less so , Promised Land) .  The only Tate fronted album I bought from there was OM 2 (wanting it to be good).   My sister bought me Dedicated To Cabaret for Christmas..........gee thanks, I needed a new beer coaster.  ::)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: January 15, 2016, 03:38:18 AM »
DTC isn't even coaster worthy!

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2010 on: January 15, 2016, 03:46:49 AM »
I just pretend that DTC doesn't exist and so far I'm succesful  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2011 on: January 15, 2016, 04:09:21 AM »
You can really see how DTC finally caused the rest of the band to finally crack.  Boiling point was reached with that one for sure.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2012 on: January 15, 2016, 05:09:23 AM »
I dropped one of my favourite bands very quickly after HITNF (and less so , Promised Land) .  The only Tate fronted album I bought from there was OM 2 (wanting it to be good).   My sister bought me Dedicated To Cabaret for Christmas..........gee thanks, I needed a new beer coaster.  ::)

Exactly this.

Except, I don't have a sister.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: January 15, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »
I just pretend that DTC doesn't exist and so far I'm succesful  ;D

What about the nightmares?  lol

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2014 on: January 15, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
Sweet dreams, you bastard.   ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2015 on: January 15, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »
They should do Rhythm of Hope live. Maybe Open, but don't know if Todd can sing that low.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2016 on: January 15, 2016, 03:04:52 PM »
They should do Rhythm of Hope live.

???  Why?

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2017 on: January 19, 2016, 12:16:39 AM »
You were right about Nightrider. They DID play it on the 2013 tour.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: January 19, 2016, 07:31:43 AM »
I believe they started their Wacken show off with Nightrider; which is a very cool opener

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2019 on: January 19, 2016, 02:18:17 PM »
I couldn't remember for sure, but I thought so.  It is, by far, my least favorite from the EP, and isn't really even a song I can say I care for.  But I wouldn't mind seeing it live once.  I bet it would be amazing.  I initially never really cared for Blinded much either, until I heard a live version of it from the Warning tour, and that completely changed my opinion of the song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: January 19, 2016, 10:58:39 PM »
I love Nightrider.  Blinded would probably be my least fav from the EP.

Prophecy is one of my all time fav Ryche songs too.  Not sure if that was suppose to be on the EP or the Warning.  Mine's on The Warning.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2021 on: January 19, 2016, 11:52:00 PM »
From what I understand, it was recorded during the Warning sessions, but they decided to include it on the CD version of the ep. I have older copies of both cds, and the ep has those five songs, and The Warning has the other nine. I don't know how they originally did it on the vinyl versions, but I would guess that The Prophecy wasn't originally included on either one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2022 on: January 20, 2016, 06:34:52 AM »
Right, Prophecy wasn't on any of the original releases.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2023 on: January 20, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »

I was looking for something having to do with Rage for Order on Wikipedia, and according to THEM, it was recorded during the sessions for THAT album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2024 on: January 20, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
I believe that is true, yes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2025 on: January 20, 2016, 03:48:23 PM »
FYI, tonight on my radio show (and later available via podcast), I'll be featuring Queensryche, and talking about their impact and career throughout the night.

Starts in 10 minutes, and the link to tune in and chat is: www.wpapu.com for anyone interested.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2026 on: January 20, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »

I was looking for something having to do with Rage for Order on Wikipedia, and according to THEM, it was recorded during the sessions for THAT album.

it's correct. But, if I' m not mistaken,  prophecy was composed in the warning period. Prophecy appears in live in Tokyo home video, recorded at the warning tour.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #2027 on: January 20, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »

2. Speak
3. The Whisper
4. Spore
5. Hellfire
6. Neue Regel
7. Damaged
8. Revolution Calling
9. Operation Mindcrime
10. The Mission
11. Suite Sister Mary
12. A World Without
13. Guardian
14. Eye 9
15. NM 156
16. Screaming in Digital

Encore

Queen of the Reich
Empire
Take Hold of the Flame

Not as long as most Dream Theater sets, but certainly a bit longer than most QR sets. Maybe 2hrs?

This may be the longest message I've ever posted, but interest in this thread seems to be waning somewhat, so why no go out BIG?

Jammindude, I asked you how long your concert idea, because I purposely made mine to be about two hours, which MIGHT be a little longer than any show Queensryche has ever played. Also, I wanted to ASK you: WHO is your "new" avatar? It KIND of looks like the old one, but the picture is too small to tell exactly who that is.

Anyway, you said your show isn't as long as a DT concert, and I wasn't trying to do that either. However, even though I know that this would NEVER actually happen, you inspired me to come up with what I know is a completely INSANE FANTASY idea: What if they DID play a "DT-length" show, about 160 minutes, counting the encore, but not counting the intermission?

The first idea includes some unpopular songs from some unpopular albums. In fact I think the only album that got COMPLETELY left out was Frequency Unknown. Otherwise, it's just an expanded version of my original idea:

Set One:
1) Guardian
2) Vindication
3) The Needle Lies
4) At the Edge
5) Deliverance
6) Desert Dance
7) Selfish Lives
8) Nightrider
9) Disconnected
10) The Right Side of My Mind
11) I Will Remember
12) Eye9
13) Hundred Mile Stare
14) Another Rainy Night (Without You)
15) Where Dreams Go to Die
16) Arrow of Time
17) Eyes of a Stranger

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Burning Man
2) Don't Look Back
3) Rhythm of Hope
4) The Killer
5) The Hands
6) Hellfire
7) Surgical Strike
8) Spore
9) Spool
10) Warning
11) Toxic Remedy
12) Signs Say Go/
13) Re-Arrange You
14) I Am I
15) Redemption
16) The Aftermath/
17) Condition Human

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) Take Hold of the Flame
2) Walk in the Shadows
3) Empire

Now....the LAST idea is closer to a "best-of," leaving out some of the unpopular songs and replacing them with some that should be more familiar...

Set One:
1) Guardian
2) Vindication
3) Disconnected
4) Revolution Calling
5) Selfish Lives
6) Deliverance
7) Another Rainy Night (Without You)
8) Breaking the Silence
9) Eye9
10) Where Dreams Go to Die
11) Sign of the Times
12) I Will Remember
13) The Right Side of My Mind
14) Spore
15) Arrow of Time
16) Eyes of a Stranger
17) Queen of the Reich

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Burning Man
2) Toxic Remedy
3) Don't Look Back
4) The Hands
5) Nightrider
6) Warning
7) Surgical Strike
8) I Am I
9) Spool
10) Silent Lucidity
11) Hellfire
12) Signs Say Go/
13) Re-Arrange You
14) Redemption
15) The Aftermath/
16) Condition Human

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) Take Hold of the Flame
2) Walk in the Shadows
3) Empire

Like I said: This is all just a FANTASY. Hope you enjoyed it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2028 on: January 20, 2016, 04:59:14 PM »
For the most part, either of those would be pretty cool.  There are a couple of :dunno: moments on each of those, but not many.  Mostly pretty solid.

And, for the record, you should leave out Frequency Unknown, as well as the other Geoff Tate solo albums, because it is not a Queensryche album.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2029 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:53 PM »

Jammindude, I asked you how long your concert idea, because I purposely made mine to be about two hours, which MIGHT be a little longer than any show Queensryche has ever played.

The tour for Empire was a pretty long set if I remember right. I can't remember everything that they played, but they played several songs to open the show, played the entire OMC album then played some more songs to finish off the set. One of the songs that they played early in the set was Roads to Madness which isn't a very short song by any standards. I'd assume that it easily approached two hours in length.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again