Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695266 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #1925 on: December 10, 2015, 06:09:32 PM »
I did write off Mercury Rising a bit quick Kade..........I liked it a lot better on second listen.  ;D  It sounds like a leftover from around the Empire/Promised Land era to me and something that they could write in their sleep (which is why I was a bit "Meh" at first and favoured the other track) , but certainly worth a listen.

Yeah, T-Ski sent me a youtube link and I quite liked it a lot.  Definitely a PL era type of song.  All three could be included on the album IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1926 on: December 14, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »
I don't think I ever gave the self-titled release a fair chance.  Condition Human took a good 4 or 5 listens to start sinking in, but I am positive that I didn't listen to the s/t more than twice.

Another grower like Condition Human?  Maybe I should give it another shot

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1927 on: December 14, 2015, 12:44:44 PM »
Give it a shot Kirk. I never got as gaga over it as most people. It feels like they rushed it out and it also feels like an extended EP. Where Dreams Go To Die is fantastic though. I still felt they had something to prove as it really is not a convincer.

Condition Human is obviously much better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »
Another grower like Condition Human?  Maybe I should give it another shot

Yes, but not anywhere near as much of a grower as CH IMO.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1929 on: December 15, 2015, 12:18:43 AM »
Both clicked for me right off the bat. But in my case it may be that I'm just happy that Queensryche rocks again

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1930 on: December 15, 2015, 09:04:31 AM »
Both clicked for me right off the bat. But in my case it may be that I'm just happy that Queensryche rocks again

Ditto.... production issues aside from the s/t, I really enjoyed the writing and delivery.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1931 on: December 15, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »

I hear you.  For me, I'm just happy that jjrocks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1932 on: December 15, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
Yeah, spun it again for the first time many months this morning at the gym.  I Remember Now...why I didn't like it so much.  It's brickwalled all to hell.  Totally mashed the entire soundstage up against the ceiling.  It even clipps in a few places.  Lots of good songs and some great ideas, but I also agree with the "rushed" criticism as well.  It sounds like a release that was hastily recorded, mixed, mastered and printed just to get it out there.  It's too bad because I think there are a ton of good ideas that could have evolved into a much better album had they taken more time with it, but given the circumstances in 2013 with all of the legal crap with taint...I can see why they wanted to release something without him.  They wanted to demonstrate that they were moving on.  And they certainly succeeded there.  Even though "Queensryche" is brickwalled, it's still better than the utter garbage they released with their last few albums with the taint.

I haven't dug much into the recording/production/mastering process of either album, but I'm sure glad someone turned the volume down.  The s/t reminds me of Death Magnetic in that both albums have a collection of strong songs but the mastering so ridiculously hot it clips on everything, pretty much constantly.   :facepalm:

Ugh, OK, someone talk me off the ledge  ;)   :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1933 on: December 15, 2015, 11:37:04 AM »
I don't disagree with any of that.  But I do still find the album VERY worthwhile to listen to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: December 15, 2015, 11:39:59 AM »
I don't disagree with any of that.  But I do still find the album VERY worthwhile to listen to.

Ditto... it's good enough (albeit short) for me to listen past the fact it's brick'd.  I hope they remaster it one day (ala Vapour Trails)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1935 on: December 15, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »

Ditto... it's good enough (albeit short) for me to listen past the fact it's brick'd.  I hope they remaster it one day (ala Vapour Trails)

I still really like it but yes, it could have been awesome. Open Road should really have developed into an epic, where now it's just a nice ballad.
I really love WDGtD. A true QR song.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1936 on: December 15, 2015, 12:50:11 PM »
I'll have to give CH more listens still, but I actually prefer the music on the ST to CH... yeah the production (mix/mastering/whatever) was bad but CH feels a little bland in comparison to me for some reason (not bad but not a lot stood out initially). I've meant to try to give more time to CH and will have to soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1937 on: December 15, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
Even if the self titled has some produciton issues, it actually never was a problem for me at all.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1938 on: December 15, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
CH feels a bit samey to me. Quality samey, but it lacks some variety.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: December 15, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »

I would totally disagree with that.  I actually think there's a lot of variety compared to the last one.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: December 15, 2015, 05:38:06 PM »

I would totally disagree with that.  I actually think there's a lot of variety compared to the last one.

On this topic, I'm with the king of wolves.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1941 on: December 15, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »
Yeah, he's not wolfking around.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1942 on: December 15, 2015, 05:54:32 PM »
He marches to his own Kadence.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: December 15, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
You guys are all boss!  :)  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: December 15, 2015, 07:57:40 PM »
I agree with the wolfster, alot more variety on CH.  Was just cranking it today, this thing gets better with every listen.

I've mentioned that Bullet Proof is one of the best ballads Ive heard in a long time, but also Toxic Remedy is one of the best hard rock songs Ive heard in recent memory.  Love that tune

And the title track is pure epic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1945 on: December 15, 2015, 09:19:51 PM »
Come to think of it, I think there is loads of variety on this, perhaps one of Ryche's most varied albums.  Dunno how you come up with that personally Paul.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: December 16, 2015, 01:11:41 PM »

Yeah, same here.  I find that to be an odd critique.  I thought it had quite a few interesting and unexpected twists and turns.

Anyway, listened to the S/T in the car and it's much better that way.  And yeah, overall a good album and a return to form after many years of sub-par and downright strange offerings.  These last two albums speak to a very bright future for these guys. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1947 on: December 16, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »
These last two albums speak to a very bright future for these guys. 

...provided that they break past precedent and actually SUPPORT the new material by playing a significant amount of it on tour rather than going the pure nostalgia route. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1948 on: December 16, 2015, 02:03:50 PM »
These last two albums speak to a very bright future for these guys. 

...provided that they break past precedent and actually SUPPORT the new material by playing a significant amount of it on tour rather than going the pure nostalgia route.

Totally agree!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1949 on: December 16, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
Come to think of it, I think there is loads of variety on this, perhaps one of Ryche's most varied albums.  Dunno how you come up with that personally Paul.

Seems like I'm in a minority. I've not played it that much due to the number of albums that came out around the same time, and only really played it in the car. I must be missing something - I'll have another listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: December 16, 2015, 09:53:12 PM »
Took me a few listens Paul.  I first I wasn't impressed by it at all and found it hard to get my head around the tracks, but I fucking love it now.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1951 on: December 17, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
I was pretty "meh" on the S/T but I've listened to it a couple of times now over the last few days and it's much better than I gave it credit for.  I think it just dropped at a time when there were other things taking my attention. 

CH impressed me immediately because the production values are so much better than they were on the S/T.  In fact, I'd say that in terms production CH is very similar to "Empire" and "Promised Land."  Crisp and clear highs -you can pick up the high-hats, ride cymbals, nuances and inflections in the vocals, you know all those little details that tend to disappear behind a wall of noise on albums like, say, "Death Magnetic" by Metallica or "The Herion Diaries" by Nicky Sixx.  On CH that signature sound that identifies Queensryche almost immediately upon hearing a minute or so of one of their songs is back.  The interesting and unexpected chord phrasings, the melodies, the orchestrated instrumentation, everything their most recent and frankly awful output lacked.

I haven't looked much into who produced or where it was recorded.  But this is a well-produced album. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1952 on: December 17, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Took me a few listens Paul.  I first I wasn't impressed by it at all and found it hard to get my head around the tracks, but I fucking love it now.

Oh I enjoyed it well enough.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1953 on: December 17, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »
I was pretty "meh" on the S/T but I've listened to it a couple of times now over the last few days and it's much better than I gave it credit for.  I think it just dropped at a time when there were other things taking my attention. 

CH impressed me immediately because the production values are so much better than they were on the S/T.  In fact, I'd say that in terms production CH is very similar to "Empire" and "Promised Land."  Crisp and clear highs -you can pick up the high-hats, ride cymbals, nuances and inflections in the vocals, you know all those little details that tend to disappear behind a wall of noise on albums like, say, "Death Magnetic" by Metallica or "The Herion Diaries" by Nicky Sixx.  On CH that signature sound that identifies Queensryche almost immediately upon hearing a minute or so of one of their songs is back.  The interesting and unexpected chord phrasings, the melodies, the orchestrated instrumentation, everything their most recent and frankly awful output lacked.

I haven't looked much into who produced or where it was recorded.  But this is a well-produced album.

It was actually produced by Chris "Zeuss" Harris, which surprised a lot of people I think. He does a lot of work with more heavier metal bands, and his recent production work includes Rob Zombie, Sanctuary, Visions of Disorder, Revocation & Demon Hunter among others.

He was a big QR fan growing up though, and did a fantastic job on this album IMO.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: December 17, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Wow, that's very interesting!   :corn

I would never have heard of Chris "Zeuss" Harris because I don't listen to that kind of music at all. 

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed.   :hat

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1955 on: December 17, 2015, 02:48:33 PM »
Having a quality listen now. Guardian and Hellfire could be the reason I felt it lacks variety - the vocal melodies seem very similar to me and coming at tracks 2 and 3 probably hasn't helped.

I'll say it again though, I do love this album. QR are back, baby.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: December 17, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »
Todd La Torre is going to join Sir Russell Allen at the top of my favorite vocalists list.

Dude has amazing pipes  :hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1957 on: December 17, 2015, 08:24:39 PM »
I'm loving Todd too.

Having a quality listen now. Guardian and Hellfire could be the reason I felt it lacks variety - the vocal melodies seem very similar to me and coming at tracks 2 and 3 probably hasn't helped.

I can see what you are saying with those two tracks, but that's about it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1958 on: December 18, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »
I also don't mind two tracks sounding similar when those two tracks are THAT good.  Honestly, if this album sucked out loud from track 5 onward, tracks 1-4 alone would STILL make this the best Queensryche album in ages.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: December 18, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
The s/t has grown on me big time this week.  Glad I went back to it.   :metal