Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695296 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #1855 on: October 11, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »
Great review!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1856 on: October 11, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »
New theme song for the show, and a new review of Condition Human!

Welcome to Jammin Dude's Neighborhood!!!

https://youtu.be/vVvfPVhEeXw
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1857 on: October 12, 2015, 12:07:24 AM »
Hmmm....I don't know what to make of this album.  Found it difficult to listen to on the first listen.

It grew on me 3rd and 4th time around - aside from the solos :lol

I hope so.  Not really digging it so far.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1858 on: October 12, 2015, 03:04:33 AM »
Hmmm....I don't know what to make of this album.  Found it difficult to listen to on the first listen.

It does get better with repeated plays. I was a little unsure to start with - I enjoyed it ok, but it didn't sound very Queensryche to me. It's getting regular plays now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1859 on: October 12, 2015, 04:57:42 AM »

It does get better with repeated plays. I was a little unsure to start with - I enjoyed it ok, but it didn't sound very Queensryche to me. It's getting regular plays now.

It reminds me a lot of later Fates Warning, especially the last album.  Better on the second listen, but will keep spinning it. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #1860 on: October 12, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »
It does get better with repeated plays.
Never understood this.  It works when you love something, then get more into and figure out the details of why you love it.  But going from not digging it to "Wait.  This is awesome."  Sounds more like brainwashing yourself.

I have to admit, I haven't even listened to it uninterrupted or even complete as background music.  As far as new stuff, I've been liking Bring Me the Horizon's That's the Spirit, so I usually listen to that which leaves me with less of an urge to turn Queensryche on in the car.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1861 on: October 12, 2015, 12:08:27 PM »
As I said in my post, I liked it on first listen. It's got better as I heard it more. Nothing strange in that. I do instant - hell I am a hair metal fan  :biggrin:

I've hated enough QR albums to know the difference.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: October 12, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
Never understood this.  It works when you love something, then get more into and figure out the details of why you love it.  But going from not digging it to "Wait.  This is awesome."  Sounds more like brainwashing yourself.

Nothing you've ever seen, listened to or done in your life has clicked after a couple views/listens/uses?

Calvin6s

« Reply #1863 on: October 12, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »

Nothing you've ever seen, listened to or done in your life has clicked after a couple views/listens/uses?
We are talking solely about music here.  Music is pretty straightforward.  The only thing that affects that is bias (when I was younger and could occasionally cave into the "that's not a cool band" from my musician peers) and the passage of time.  But that usually means years, not hours or days.

When I truly love something in music, it is basically immediate and makes me stop everything to give it my undivided attention (assuming I'm not driving or something similar).

And when I branch out into other styles, it is usually because I've over-saturated the past and current styles and have a drug like craving for something very different.

But have I ever listened to something, not dug it, then forced myself to listen to it 2 to 10 more times until I do?  Never.  If I didn't form an opinion, it is probably because I was too pre-occupied with life's events to actually listen.  Pressing pause 8 times in a song because the phone is ringing off the hook.  Turning it down to talk to somebody, so I may have not really listened to that track ... literally.

Right now, this is the case with the QR for me.  I have it, but I only listened to about 10 seconds from each track except the 3 singles they released.  I immediately loved Guardian, so I expect to like at least some of the new album once I actually listen to it.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1864 on: October 12, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »
Some albums are instant clicks for me, and others take a few listens. It was certainly that way with Dream Theater's albums. I couldn't make it through Octavarium it was so boring, but over time it clicked. I wouldn't call it brainwashing. Some music just takes time, especially if there is a lot of stuff going on.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: October 12, 2015, 12:40:47 PM »
We are talking solely about music here.  Music is pretty straightforward.  The only thing that affects that is bias (when I was younger and could occasionally cave into the "that's not a cool band" from my musician peers) and the passage of time.  But that usually means years, not hours or days.

I dunno, there have been a number of albums that just didn't work for me and I revisited them months or years later and was blown away.  Sometimes it just takes the right emotion or time in your life for something to click. Sometimes they just never do.

I don't "force" myself to like something. I revisit an album I haven't listened to after a while to see if anything's changed with the way I feel about it. Sometimes it happens.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1866 on: October 12, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »
So after listening to Condition Human about 6-8 times, I have to say that I am very happy with this. I loved Queensryche back in the day. But lost interest with Promised Land.
Condition Human is the follow up to Empire that I've been waiting for. Finally!!

I liked the s/t  well enough. It didn't blow me away, as it felt like a band kind of feeling their way. CH shows a band with much more confidence and purpose.  It has a real Empire era feel with many classic QR moments. Holy hell does Todd sound like Geoff. But he's amazing in his own right.
Wilton, Jackson, and Rockenfield are 3 lucky bastards for finding Todd. After hearing CH, I have way more confidence in them going forward. The title track is amazing. It stands up with their best songs I feel. Also love Guardian, Hellfire, Hourglass, All There Was.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #1867 on: October 12, 2015, 12:53:08 PM »
I dunno, there have been a number of albums that just didn't work for me and I revisited them months or years later and was blown away.

I addressed exactly that.  Years later, not multiple listens in the span of a few days.  That's because something changed in you, not because it just took another listen as if you are studying for a test.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1868 on: October 12, 2015, 02:14:15 PM »
I dunno, there have been a number of albums that just didn't work for me and I revisited them months or years later and was blown away.

I addressed exactly that.  Years later, not multiple listens in the span of a few days.  That's because something changed in you, not because it just took another listen as if you are studying for a test.

Couldn't disagree more.  Yes somethings take a change in something over a significant time (often, personal tastes and/or preferences), but first impressions change more immediately - sometimes for the better; sometimes for the worse.  Sometimes we're swayed by some level of expectation; sometimes it's more about cleansing one's listening palette.  Just like a fine wine or scotch, the first taste just gets your palette ready for the real taste.  Maybe it's the same with music sometimes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1869 on: October 12, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »
For me,  I'm pretty sure it took a few listens for even Images & Words to click when I first heard it.  I have to listen a few times just to take in all the music.  I find it helps reading the lyrics as I play the album.

As far as CH goes, I really think Toxic Remedy and especially Bulletproof could be big hits if marketed correctly.  I love them!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1870 on: October 12, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
As far as CH goes, I really think Toxic Remedy and especially Bulletproof could be big hits if marketed correctly.  I love them!

I can't remember if it was the songs you highlighted but I do recall thinking at one point "This could do alright as a single if it got the promotion".  But then what would i know about popular music these days?  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1871 on: October 12, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »
Toxic Remedy is the most Mindrime/Empire sounding of all the songs on the album.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1872 on: October 12, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »
After a week of spins, I really really like this album.

Bulletproof, and Eye9 are excellent 

Hellfire is kickass

Just us is beautiful

The title track is very cool as well.

This is one solid ass album 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1873 on: October 12, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »
I've always said that Promised Land was "Rage For Order with a budget"...    Well, this is "The Warning with a budget".   The only difference is that I like RFO more than PL, but I like this more than The Warning. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #1874 on: October 12, 2015, 09:30:29 PM »
For me,  I'm pretty sure it took a few listens for even Images & Words to click when I first heard it.

I can definitively say I knew I had found my new favorite band before track 1 even made it to the verse after the 1st chorus.  I even took a picture of myself at that exact point in time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: October 12, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
3rd listen in and it's starting to open up.

I´m gonna say something controversal here. I like the Tate album better. It´s musically way more diverse, risky and, it just sounds better. Flamesuit on.

Tate, is that you?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1876 on: October 13, 2015, 02:25:10 AM »
No it isn't. And I really mean it. There's something in the mix or sound of this album that annoys the hell out of me. As great as some of the tracks are.

People that are calling 'The Key' a piece of shit are just lazy listeners to me. But the lines seem to be drawn in the sand, so I respect everyone's opinion.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1877 on: October 13, 2015, 03:35:44 AM »
No it isn't. And I really mean it. There's something in the mix or sound of this album that annoys the hell out of me. As great as some of the tracks are.

People that are calling 'The Key' a piece of shit are just lazy listeners to me. But the lines seem to be drawn in the sand, so I respect everyone's opinion.

Two decent songs and more of the same shit Tate has been peddling for over a decade. He talks through the album, there's no singing other than the song the guest vocalist sings. That's not lazy listening. The sound of the album is fine but there's no riffs to speak of, just down tuned blandness. They've put time and effort in, well the band has. I just don't like most of the songs.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: October 13, 2015, 04:56:27 AM »
Lowdz when you mention two decent songs, please tell me you aren't including " The Stranger"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: October 13, 2015, 05:00:04 AM »
I only counted one decent song.  And yes, I actually listened to the whole album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1880 on: October 13, 2015, 06:18:07 AM »
I'll give you that the OMC material I've heard does have some interesting ideas...but Taint voice is just completely destroyed.   The guys almost croaks more than he sings.    Everytime I hear an OMC single, I start by thinking "hey! This isn't half bad!"   But then Tate starts singing and it never ceases to amaze me just how far the guy has fallen.    I'd be hard pressed to think of a person who has lost that much of their voice who is still active.   Gordon Lightfoot maybe? 

Condition Human OTOH is shockingly good.   Arrow of Time had me skeptical, but the rest of the album won me over.  Now there are several ear worms I can't get out of my head.   Guardian and Eye9 in particular. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1881 on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:32 AM »
We are talking solely about music here.  Music is pretty straightforward. 

uhm, no.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1882 on: October 13, 2015, 06:32:01 AM »
Lowdz when you mention two decent songs, please tell me you aren't including " The Stranger"

Yeah, it's ok. Not enough to drag me back.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1883 on: October 13, 2015, 10:09:25 AM »
here is one the bonus tracks Espiritu Muerto
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: October 13, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1887 on: October 27, 2015, 04:57:45 PM »
I can't express how much I hate the Paladium.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1888 on: October 27, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
I can't express how much I hate the Paladium.
It'd be fine if it wasn't in Worcester.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1889 on: October 28, 2015, 06:08:52 AM »
A headlining tour where they don't even play their own hometown?   :facepalm: