Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695295 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #1715 on: September 04, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »
It's alright. I honestly don't know what's going to make me happy with the new QR album. I feel like the fact that it doesn't suck may not be good enough.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1716 on: September 04, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »
I like it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: September 04, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »
great tune

100X better then "The Stranger"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1718 on: September 04, 2015, 05:59:20 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!   What a day!   Just heard the new Iron Maiden  :hefdaddy after giving a spin to the new Riverside  :hefdaddy

....but this is the biggest shock of the day!   I liked the first single, but I thought it was a bit "safe"....this OTOH, is just incredible!!!!   Doors officially blown off.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

With the exception of The Right Side of My Mind (which was obviously a fluke masterpiece at this point) this is the greatest song QR has released in 20 years!!  I have to pick my jaw up off the floor now!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1719 on: September 04, 2015, 06:30:25 PM »
QR is doing some very interesting stuff these days. I liked the song, and things are going in such a better direction than the tater madness

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1720 on: September 04, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »
Not a bad song.  But not too good either.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1721 on: September 05, 2015, 04:20:44 AM »
Not a bad song.  But not too good either.

QFT
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1722 on: September 05, 2015, 07:02:48 AM »
I like it , but like many of the songs on the last one (where there always seemed to be one part of the songs I didn't like) I am not sure the chorus lives up to the rest of the song. Wilton's solo was a bit anticlimactic too. 

Promising though..........and to be honest it had me more involved than most of the new Maiden album did on first listen. I do think it may be a grower and I hear more classic Queensryche in this song than almost anything since Empire.

Hopes are still high for a few tracks on the new one that really click and blow the doors off.  This is close but not sure if there's a cigar in there after some more listens.  Could be - and I will at least take the time to return to it and see.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1723 on: September 05, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »
Neither of these songs have hit me like Where Dreams Go To Die did from the last one but they have both been very acceptable. I didn't rate the solo either Brent, that gap between Parker and whip's solos was a bit jarring.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1724 on: September 05, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
If this wasn't QR I wouldn't be interested in this song.  Not really my style.

But since it is, I'm listening.  There are snippets of what I love/loved about QR in the music, but I haven't been sold on Todd as a vocalist to this point.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:54:50 AM by T-ski »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1725 on: September 05, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »
 I'm just shocked at how blown away I am by this song. What I love about it, is that it goes back to that thinking man's metal that they used to have back in the days of rage for order. They didn't just go for a hit single like jet city woman part two or something. This really captures that Pink Floyd goes heavy-metal kind of style that brought me to Queensryche in the first place!

I honestly didn't think they had it in them any more....I was so SO wrong. They've managed to capture the original spirit behind QR and yet sound totally modern and fresh!

Just a freakin amazing song!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1726 on: September 05, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
I do like the 'revolution calling' reprise in the chorus. Nice way to link the similar topic.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1727 on: September 05, 2015, 04:08:34 PM »
I was one of the lucky ones who was online during that small window of time when Amazon mistakenly offered the entire Condition Human album on MP3 for $7.99--I think I actually jumped for joy when I realized I'd get to hear it a month early. Unlike the last album, which I loved immediately, this one took much longer to grow on me. The first listen was a crushing disappointment (because my expectations were unfairly high), but after five more, I'm officially hooked!
-The production and atmosphere are a HUGE improvement over the self-titled, and you'll notice a lot of interesting things in the background by wearing headphones.
-Todd's vocals are incredible! I really hope he takes good care of his voice during the upcoming tours because this album proved what an amazing gift he has.
-While there are plenty of inspired moments in "Selfish Lives," "Toxic Remedy," and "All There Was," their choruses are depressingly, shockingly bland, and really made me crave an infectious, singalong chorus like the ones on Empire.
-"Arrow of Time" and "Guardian" are probably the heaviest Queensryche songs in decades and so they were excellent choices for singles. To showcase their versatility, I hope the next single will be "Just Us," a slow and mostly acoustic song that probably would have fit in nicely on the Promised Land album; it's a pleasant and warm track on what is mostly a challenging progressive metal album. And if I didn't know any better, I would have thought that was Chris Degarmo providing the background vocals! Another good choice for the next single would be "Bulletproof," which will soothe the souls of those with a soft spot for the power ballads of the 80's.
-Even the most critical listeners will be grinning like fools when they hear the epic title track, which should remind everyone of "Suite Sister Mary" at times. I'll be shocked if it's not the most revered Queensryche song in decades. Its prelude, "The Aftermath," is creepy as hell and packs a powerful punch for a song that's only 55 seconds.
-I am so thankful that Queensryche are a thinking man's heavy metal band again!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1728 on: September 06, 2015, 12:19:39 AM »
I do like the 'revolution calling' reprise in the chorus. Nice way to link the similar topic.

That's part of what turned me off about the song. I really want to see this band moving forward, and that felt like a thinly veiled attempt to use something from their history to grab the listener's attention. In fact, I found the entire chorus very off-putting, poorly written and poorly executed.

This might be a poor analogy, but it's like when you see a reboot of a classic movie/tv series and the writers try to fit lines of dialogue from the original/classic into the reboot. (See Star Trek: Into Darkness for a perfect example of the failure of doing this). This band was always at it's best when they carried us forward (i.e. being progressive), and they're much too talented to be using this tactic, in my opinion.

I do appreciate the fact that they're being aggressive in the other aspects of the music with these first two songs, but now is the time for them to re-establish themselves as something more than a nostalgia act that's going to rely on past successes.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1729 on: September 06, 2015, 12:53:47 AM »
I think the chorus is super catchy.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1730 on: September 06, 2015, 01:01:30 AM »
I think the chorus is super catchy.

I'll admit that I might be reacting too quickly. My expectations for this album have been very high, and I might not be giving the song the chance to grow on me. My initial reaction is negative, however. If my opinion changes over time it wouldn't be the first time that I've done a complete 180 on a piece of music.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1731 on: September 06, 2015, 01:43:53 AM »
My expectations for this album have been very high
And mine are relatively low, simply because of the easy "what about DeGarmo" angle.  It's not fair because he left them, not vice versa, but it is reality nevertheless.

So the low expectations had me appreciating the new video.  It has exceeded my expectations.  Even if I feel the song represents more of the QR in the first phase of their prime as opposed to the prime of their prime.  If they weren't QR, I'd probably enjoy it more, unburdened with the what-ifs. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1732 on: September 06, 2015, 04:03:13 AM »
I listened to Guardian and The Stranger back to back - you can probably guess which song is a million times better to my ears! :lol I like Arrow of Time more, but the chorus is catchy and there's some cool riffing going on.
Todd responded to a comment on his FB page and said it's "evolution calling".

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1733 on: September 06, 2015, 12:36:11 PM »
I listened to Guardian and The Stranger back to back - you can probably guess which song is a million times better to my ears! :lol I like Arrow of Time more, but the chorus is catchy and there's some cool riffing going on.

Oh, ok. The subject matter seemed on point for the original so I assumed it was intentional, and maybe it still is as a play on words. Very prog  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1734 on: September 06, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »

When I first heard it, I thought he said "revolution" and I wasn't sure how I felt about it.   Now that I know it's "evolution", that's actually pretty bad-ass.     Instead of trying to just repeat a phrase to cash in on an idea, you've updated it to signify your own "evolution" to a new era....while at the same time, possiby taking an underhanded jab at the Tater?      The more the possibilities, the cooler the idea seems.    I really dig it. 

Arrow of Time is still a bit too radio friendly for my tastes...but I suppose you've got to have an attempt at a single somewhere.   Guardian is the first QR song I've been excited about since I first heard I Am I.   

Calvin6s

« Reply #1735 on: September 06, 2015, 11:00:09 PM »
I liked the closing of the song quite a bit.  A good way of mixing clearer and more muffled sounds.

The most detracting thing for the revamped QR are the vocals.  I prefer the OM/Empire vocal style of Tate over the pre-OM style (the higher singing) and LaTorre is mimicking the pre-OM style Tate more.  Not that I don't like that style, I just like the other style more.

Offline pfillion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: September 08, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »
sounds solid

Calvin6s

« Reply #1738 on: September 08, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
The QR EP came up in my car today and .... so far I definitely like the QR EP more.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1739 on: September 08, 2015, 10:18:03 PM »
The QR EP came up in my car today and .... so far I definitely like the QR EP more.

There is no contest there, imo.

And how depressing is it that the QR put out 30 years ago (and was a debut) is more pleasing to listen to, sonically, than the one released so recently.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1740 on: September 08, 2015, 11:41:19 PM »
On second spin I'm loving it even more.   Guardian just SLAYS!!!!   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

If the rest of the album is half as good, it may make my album of the year.   Certainly the comeback of the decade at the very least.    I was just not at all expecting this.  I had high hopes for the new IM and they were met.   I had underwhelming expectations for Riverside, and they were exceeded.   But I had so-so hopes for this, and nothing could have prepared me for how good this new single is.   

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1741 on: September 09, 2015, 12:56:46 AM »
Gotta say I'm having very mixed feelings about all this. Reading that review and having heard some snippets of the new songs and the new stuff Tate is putting out, I have a feeling that Tate might come out on top in this round.

I'm also having some doubts as to what I enjoy more, listening to a Tate sound-alike, or, douchebag or not, having lost a lot of his vocal prowess or not, the original article.

I really wish Queensryche would have gone for a new, different direction with a vocalist that doesn't try to be a better Tate than Tate was. That I would've embraced with all my heart. It would also have put to rest this never ending battle between the fans.

This, I don't know. I'll listen to it when it comes out, but I likely will listen to the new Tateryche as well.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1742 on: September 09, 2015, 03:39:13 AM »
The first Tate track was pretty good, the second two were dire so I have no doubts this will be better based on the two tracks from the QR that I've heard.
I know what you're saying re the soundalike vocals and I'd agree to some degree, but I'd take Todd over the frogvoiced Tate now.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1743 on: September 09, 2015, 05:01:42 AM »
To be fair, Todd wasn't originally supposed to replace Tate in QR. He was hired as the singer for what would have been a spinoff project, Rising West. Then Tate had his meltdown and tried to shut down promotion for Rising West's debut shows, which led those concerts to basically being the band testing to see how well Todd would go over with the fans and decided from there to have him replace Tate in the band proper.

It would have been interesting to see the band go in a different direction with a singer that didn't bare as much resemblance to Tate as Todd does, but even then, Todd doesn't sound that much like Tate. His voice isn't as "rich" sounding, particularly in his mid-range. Todd takes more inspiration from Bruce Dickinson than anyone else, I think.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: September 09, 2015, 05:15:34 AM »
Yeah, but I don't think the band ever thought creating Rising West would ever be a vaiable thing.  It was so shallow to see what was going on.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1745 on: September 09, 2015, 05:45:32 AM »
I think Todd doesn't sound that much like Tate because of his voice. Sure there are similarities but there are also big differences. But when it comes to phrasing, articulation, pronounciation etc. I think Todd is not only close, he sometimes sounds more like Tate than Tate himself, right down to the few spoken words on the last disc. And that he does clearly on purpose.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: September 09, 2015, 08:32:41 AM »
I think Todd is an absolute perfect fit for the band

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1747 on: September 09, 2015, 12:13:59 PM »
To be fair, Todd wasn't originally supposed to replace Tate in QR. He was hired as the singer for what would have been a spinoff project, Rising West. Then Tate had his meltdown and tried to shut down promotion for Rising West's debut shows, which led those concerts to basically being the band testing to see how well Todd would go over with the fans and decided from there to have him replace Tate in the band proper.

It would have been interesting to see the band go in a different direction with a singer that didn't bare as much resemblance to Tate as Todd does, but even then, Todd doesn't sound that much like Tate. His voice isn't as "rich" sounding, particularly in his mid-range. Todd takes more inspiration from Bruce Dickinson than anyone else, I think.

Tate had his meltdown *before* the RW shows.   In fact, it's just the opposite of what you said.    RW started as a result of the Tate meltdown.    The test shows as RW were to check out how Todd would do...but also because they were unsure of their legal standing with the QR name at that moment in time.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1748 on: September 12, 2015, 12:17:53 AM »

Tate had his meltdown *before* the RW shows.   In fact, it's just the opposite of what you said.    RW started as a result of the Tate meltdown.    The test shows as RW were to check out how Todd would do...but also because they were unsure of their legal standing with the QR name at that moment in time.

I'm pretty sure I'd heard that Rising West was already a work-in-progress between Todd and Whip before Tate's meltdown. But eh, I could be wrong.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1749 on: September 18, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »