Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695208 times)

Offline jammindude

Agreed on both points. Which made it all the more amazing that fully half of Tribe was good.

....and yet it remains even more fascinating that they couldn't even manage that for the next three albums.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree that RSOMM is the best post PL song with Tate involved.  Would love to see that one brought back, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Tribe is a very good release.  A couple of mediocre/sub par songs on it, but some solid material overall.  Maybe not 10 pounds like Chad said, but rather 5 or 6

Offline Cruithne

I love HITNF, but I don't think it's a good Queensryche album. So much of it was written by DeGarmo I've often wondered if it'd have been better served by finding other collaborators and doing it as a side project/solo album. I think Tribe sounds more like a Queensryche album than HITNF did.

Promised Land was the start of the "I'm not going to work with the nasty man's metal riffs no more" strops from Tate that meant Wilton's contributions were severely reduced, which is a large part of why Queensryche's work started going downhill as far as I'm concerned (Promised Land was a massive let down, at the time, for me).

On Q2k, his significant contributions to the material aren't particularly metal, either... and yet are still the best songs on an otherwise fairly awful album. I very nearly binned that album not long after I first got it and it was at least a year before I managed to find something to like about it.

The S/T was a big step back in the right direction but it did sound slightly underdeveloped. There must have been some trepidation that, whilst he could do a reasonable impersonation of 80s Tate, LaTorre's writing might not work out.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Just listened to Promised Land.

No.

Offline Skeever

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm one of the rare few who like HITNF.  Tribe is also a good album.

YOU TAKE THAT LOOK BACK YOU FLOPPY CANADIAN HEAD!! 

Well, I really do like it.  Like I said, I know I'm in the minority and by that on this forum, the only one. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Promised Land is my fav album ever, just a hair above DT's Awake.  Tate basically bled onto the page in his PL's lyrics, and you gotta admire that.  So much emotion.  Wish I had gotten to see that tour.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Deathless

I gave the self-titled album a full-spin on my way to work this morning (LOL), and I have to say I'm pretty pumped about QR-2015.

Now I don't know how this new album will stack up to the original lineup (EP-PL), but I think they're going to crank out a very good album. And it seems like the band is very aware of the issues that plagued the self-titled debut (Running time, song length, and production).

Everything that Whip and Todd have been saying lately just seems like they're dialed in and going to put out something really good. Hopefully a big world tour and playing the full album will give them some good exposure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I did the same with the s/t the other day.

I agree, there is hope.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm one of the rare few who like HITNF.  Tribe is also a good album.

YOU TAKE THAT LOOK BACK YOU FLOPPY CANADIAN HEAD!! 

Well, I really do like it.  Like I said, I know I'm in the minority and by that on this forum, the only one. :lol

Not the only one.  It is a top 5 Queensryche album for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Promised Land is so good and unique that I wouldn't have minded if every album after it had the same overall style and sound. Music, production, performance, lyrics - no weak spot on that one.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
When Promised Land came out it was a huge disapointment for me. Over the years I came to like it but it never will be top material for me. Too many songs that I don't really care about.

Been listening through my QR discography lately and must say that HITNF isn't as bad as I remember but still not good. I really like Q2K (probably the only one) and Tribe for me is the absolute low point (though I haven't listened to DTC). This album is so boring and uninspired even Mindcrime 2 and American Soldier have some better moments, although one could argue if the latter two are QR albums or Tater/Slater solo stuff under the QR name.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jammindude

I'm right with you on every point...except I would switch the descriptions of Q2K and Tribe.   I think Q2K was the low point.   There are 2 or 3 songs that I find to be OK...and of course The Right Side of My Mind is an anomaly...a single mind blowing track in a sea of meh and garbage.    I really like Tribe...well....I really like about half of it.   I haven't spun it in awhile, so I should do that again.   I remember when I did my album discussion series over at MP.com, I actually had to go out and buy Tribe to do the review because I didn't own it yet.    I remember that I was pleasantly surprised.    To me it was an improvement over Q2K, and even a bit better than HITNF....but obviously not classic material.    I seem to remember that Art of Life in particular was really quite good.  But I'd have to hear it again.

I haven't listened to anything QR since the self titled first came out.    I've just been off in completely new directions lately.   Tom Waits, Frank Zappa, some classical and opera.   When I do listen to prog it's usually Haken (cannot get enough of The Mountain) or old Marillion.    But Tribe is one that deserves to have the dust blown off of it once in awhile.

Offline Kwyjibo

I really liked Q2K from the beginning, it's nowhere near the classics but I thought it was decent. I thought it would be a good starting point to build up reputation again, little did I know.

I was actually a little surprised when I re-listened to Tribe. I had better memories of it but as of now I really find nothing to like about it. Maybe my taste has changed or time had clouded my memory. Maybe I had fond memories because I had in mind that Tribe was the album where Chris De Garmo sort of came back. But it was the Chris de Garmo of HITNF and not the Chris de Garmo of the earlier albums.

I listened to the album a couple times but I have a hard time remembering individual songs, it all just plods along. The one thing that stands out is that there are (almost) no guitar solos. Why?

Anyway, I'm really liking the new self-titled and spin it more or less regularly. So hoping they continue to get better.

Offline Lowdz

I really liked Q2K from the beginning, it's nowhere near the classics but I thought it was decent. I thought it would be a good starting point to build up reputation again, little did I know.

I was actually a little surprised when I re-listened to Tribe. I had better memories of it but as of now I really find nothing to like about it. Maybe my taste has changed or time had clouded my memory. Maybe I had fond memories because I had in mind that Tribe was the album where Chris De Garmo sort of came back. But it was the Chris de Garmo of HITNF and not the Chris de Garmo of the earlier albums.

I listened to the album a couple times but I have a hard time remembering individual songs, it all just plods along. The one thing that stands out is that there are (almost) no guitar solos. Why?

Anyway, I'm really liking the new self-titled and spin it more or less regularly. So hoping they continue to get better.

It was the era of no guitar solos and it sucked.
Inever liked Tribe - just don't get the love for it. I'd take Q2K over it, but its Hobson's choice.
I never subscribed to the bring back Chris calls because as far as I could see he had moved away from the metal as much as Tate had.

Offline Kwyjibo

Yeah I know and you're right, it sucked. But to this day I can't understand why QR felt the need to follow this trend. They once were trendsetters not followers.

Offline Lowdz

Yeah I know and you're right, it sucked. But to this day I can't understand why QR felt the need to follow this trend. They once were trendsetters not followers.

That was my argument at the time too. They left behind all that Queensryche was . That was what was killing them.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Probably something to do with them going broke, the label going under and having to attract new fans to please whoever they signed up with? Or they just felt like they had something to say in that genre.

Offline ozzy554

Geoff Tate's band is going to go under the name Operation Mindcrime after his current tour.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jammindude

Geoff Tate's band is going to go under the name Operation Mindcrime after his current tour.

And will be releasing a trilogy of albums...

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tates-queensryche-to-forge-ahead-as-operation-mindcrime/

Just when you think he couldn't possibly get more pathetic.  :facepalm:

Offline jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

And will be releasing a trilogy of albums...

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tates-queensryche-to-forge-ahead-as-operation-mindcrime/

Just when you think he couldn't possibly get more pathetic.  :facepalm:

Actually, it kinda makes sense.  I mean, I'm definitely no fan of Geoff Tate, so please do not take this as support, but that said, calling his band "Operation Mindcrime" is actually, from a business standpoint, a good move.  He cannot use the Queensryche name after this tour.  No one cares about him as a solo artist.  But calling his band "Operation Mindcrime" is guaranteed to spark interest that he otherwise would not possibly be able to generate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
The number of passive-aggressive quips and claims to genius in this article is unbearable. Can't this man just tune into the Universe and feel the tides of everyone's collective embarrassment wash over him?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I feel so bad for Simon Wright and Rudy Sarzo. Such illustrious careers and THIS is where they're at?

Actually, it kinda makes sense.  I mean, I'm definitely no fan of Geoff Tate, so please do not take this as support, but that said, calling his band "Operation Mindcrime" is actually, from a business standpoint, a good move.  He cannot use the Queensryche name after this tour.  No one cares about him as a solo artist.  But calling his band "Operation Mindcrime" is guaranteed to spark interest that he otherwise would not possibly be able to generate.

I actually like the name.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Rudy licked one too many coats of varnish off his bass guitar neck.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tate just won't go away will he?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

He just graduated from the MP school of advertising - any publicity is good publicity.   i'm still loving that clip from the morning show in the US with him doing the retro thing - fucking hilarious.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He just graduated from the MP school of advertising - any publicity is good publicity.   i'm still loving that clip from the morning show in the US with him doing the retro thing - fucking hilarious.

Do you mean that history of rock concert he did, that was indeed hilarious.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This clip and interview

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-dons-wig-for-new-day-northwest-performance-interview-video/

Oh wow, I haven't seen this one.  I'll have to check it out later, can't see it at work, looks like a hoot though.

Offline jammindude

This clip and interview

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-dons-wig-for-new-day-northwest-performance-interview-video/

Oh wow, I haven't seen this one.  I'll have to check it out later, can't see it at work, looks like a hoot though.

I remember the day that happened, and it was circulating around somewhere.  I'm really happy you reposted it...  It deserves to be re-watched.   Kinda in the same way that Birdemic and The Room deserve to be rewatched.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I figured he would go with that name; best name overall for his band.  But overall, I couldnt care less.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
best name overall for his band.

yeah - describes where he's at perfectly  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
I will be referring to it as Tatecrime. Not calling his fucking band the same name as an awesome album, sorry.  :lol

(Especially after all that "I need to get away from the Queensryche name." shit.)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline PowerSlave

So, he's naming the band after a concept album that had a failed sequel almost 20 years after the original. And now he has this brilliant idea of a new story spanning 3 new albums. If this new story even hints at having anything to do with Mind Crime........

That's one dead fuckin' horse.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again